Project Use Up Makeup: 2017 Edition

July 2, 2017

Call Me A User

Updates! I’ve been on a semi-active journey to stop accumulating and start using up all the makeup I’ve acquired throughout the years. I’m really happy that I’ve sort of matured (or so I’d like to think!) in terms of my consumerist tendencies and am more selective on new purchases nowadays. I curate my makeup stash the way most social media influencers curate their ‘gram. Since I know what I want in terms of quality, consistency, longevity, I’m a more discerning consumer. No more impulse buys. I mostly think long and hard (sometimes months!) before a purchase.
For those thinking, “But you get a lot of free makeup!”. Yes, I still do get PR makeup items (though not as many as before since I’ve been transforming into a no person na) but I still have a beauty wishlist which includes many brands not available here in the Philippines! Tom Ford, for one, has always been there. Pat McGrath, Burberry, Charlotte Tillbury, Ellis Faas, Ilia Beauty, Kat Von D, Tarte, It Beauty Cosmetics and many small, “indie” brands I want to explore.
However, because of the amount of makeup I still own (which isn’t a lot compared to the other beauty addicts who have rooms full of makeup), the feeling of guilt comes knocking when I feel like buying a new product, even if it’s not a particularly expensive buy. Guys, this is it… I finally learned mindful consumption. Hanggang window shopping a.k.a ‘add-everything-to-cart-and-exit’ na lang ako guys!
So since there is no way I can physically use up all the makeup, I’ve given away quite a few to my sisters and my friends. I’ve decided to also sell most of those I don’t use often anymore soon on my Carousell Shop Page as soon as I can. Do follow me there if you want to be updated on my listings!

Spot my overeager intern a.k.a  Selene my daughter’s 1hands arranging my flatlay!

She’s even more OC than me.

Wearing the makeup! Love Modern Mercury highlighter talaga. Look at it (on my cheeks).

Makeup I Vow to Use Up This Year

So we’ve come to this. A list I want to publish and revisit next year to make sure I’m following the road to my good intentions. Exagge naman yata yung emptying all these ‘cos hello, how in the world do you use up a tub of Guerlain Meteorites?! Ikikiskis ko ba sa mukha ko isa-isa yung balls? So to be more realistic, I included my super hit-pan Burberry Nude Radiance for comparison. Something close to that is the goal! These are not the only items, guys. I’ll be creating new entries from time to time to update this list pa.

Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation. I picked this because I don’t usually wear long-wearing foundations daily so this is reserved for special occasions meaning it’ll be hard to finish up. I want to try this with serums to make it less thick and heavy.
Guerlain Meteorites. Have no idea how to finish this up so it’s pretty pointless for me to add it here but still, I just want to remember to use this as a finishing powder. Maybe I can de-pot some of these balls to send out to readers who are interested to see the magical effect of these balls! Comment down below if you want to try. I might just send you! WOOT! Sharing the Meteorites love!

Estee Lauder Modern Mercury highlighter. I am out of my Burberry Nude Radiance. My MAC Whisper of Gilt is cracked. This is one of my favorite highlighters which I am tempted to keep in my vanity safe and sound and not ever want to finish up because sayang. BUT! I need to use makeup up so I’m including this! If you missed the Estee x Victoria Beckham collection (where this is from), you might just have the chance to get this since they’re restocking soon!
Guerlain Coque d’Or eyeshadow palette. I need to must incorporate olive green in my usual ‘all brown’ eyeshadow game. I haven’t been experimenting lately. Need to step up… and finish up a Guerlain eyeshadow palette. I’ve abused my Les Bois de Rose one so it’s time to do damage to another one.
NARS Velvet Matte lip pencil. I’ve given away some of these to my sisters and a friend because I wanted to share the lovely formula – such a beauty, I swear. I still have 7 left with me and I want to finish up (or at least try to) 4 lip pencils.

Chanel blush. I just need to finish up a blush. Any blush. I pick this cream one because it has shorter shelf span than powder blush. Also, the last time I finished up a blush – ang tagal na. My first ever NARS Orgasm blush pa. It’s about time!
Tom Ford Golden Mink eyeshadow palette. I’ve actually been using this a lot since I love this as an everyday neutral which you can amp up for a more defined look. However, it really does contain a lot of product – bravo, Tom Ford. At least I get all my money’s worth! But yeah, including this in my list because I love it and see myself using it often.

Do you have any makeup items you’ve recently finished? What are they? Do you have any makeup you wish to use up too? How do you go about makeup product which you don’t use often? Do you sell them online too? Share away, friends!

How about some more reading?

13 comments

Monaliza Valencia July 2, 2017 at 9:51 am

Hi Ms Shari, I’m glad that you will be a good user muna before you buy again. Very good for that. Me, I seldom buy makeups. Minsan ko lang kase gamitin. Since na naging full time mom ako last June 2011, hindi pa ako nakakaubos ng blusher at powder hanggang need ko ng itapon dahil expire na. Pag weekends lang naman ako nagamit at pag may need attendnan sa school ng mga bata. Si ate Selene pedeng pede mo ng assistant at hindi ako magtataka na minsan ay making blogger na din siya at sasabihan ko ang daughter ko na ifollow siya.

Joanna Cayabyab July 2, 2017 at 10:38 am

I could help you with the Guerlain Meteorites *wink wink*

Denice Reyes July 2, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Yayyy gusto ko itry yan …. Parang nakakaexcite gamitin… Since I’m a full time housewife hindi po ako maayado nagmamakeup powder light lipstick and konting blush on lang okey nako more on ako sa skin care medyo me idad naren po ako I’m 36 na using moisturizer everyday and toner yun lang … Minsan serum pag me budget ahahaha….

Vallee Gonzaga July 2, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Hi Shari! Gusto ko yung sharing idea mo with the Guerlain Meteorites. I am open and excited to try these cute pastel colored babies 😍 hehe. Nice hearing this from a beauty blogger. Parang ang notion kasi ngayon sa makeup is collect and collect and collect some more because of all the new trends comig out and this is definitely not practical #realtalk. Last makeup I finished was the pressed powder from my derma and the eyebrow pencil from etude. I haven’t repurchased though since I wanted to try other products. I’m also almost done with my Happy Skin Sculptacular. As for the makeup I don’t like or use anymore, I give it to my sister or our maids.

Anna Escalona July 3, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Being a makeup addict myself, I don’t think I’ve ever hit pan on anything I own (except if you count a shattered Smashbox blush that I continued using) although malapit na ako mag hit pan on the Loreal powder. I vow to use na my makeup and not just hoard. Shoutout to the Happy Skin lippies I got but never used, gagamitin ko na sila before the year ends 🙂
Kailangan ko magworkshop kay Selene on how to flatlay! Ang galing!

Anna Escalona July 3, 2017 at 7:05 pm

… also, gusto ko yung idea mo for the meteorites! I had the Body Shop bronzer version of that waaaay back. Naubos na lang cause laging may nahuhulog na mga balls whenever I use it. In the end, nawala na lang siya so that doesn’t count 😂

Dianne July 3, 2017 at 7:46 pm

I can help you “finish” the Guerlain Meteorites 😉 Haha! Been meaning to get a tub, but it’s just tooo expensive. But they’re really pretty!

Arleen Oboguin July 4, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Kakainlove lahat yan madam! Wish I could have 😊😊😊

Mariz Badelles July 5, 2017 at 10:52 am

I’ve come close to buying the Meteorites twice already but never pushed through because ang mahal! Would love to give it a go hehe 🙂

On another note, I am on a similar crusade myself because there came a point when I couldn’t close my drawers anymore (and to think I shuttle between two houses with two separate vanities!). This month alone I’ve used up 2 powder foundations, a powder blush, and a bb cream. It just takes determination and willpower to stop impulse buying. Way to go, Shari!

Gellie N. July 5, 2017 at 12:17 pm

I always go for the “One empty, one newbie” mantra whenever it comes to buying make ups para hindi ako masanay & itrain nadin sarili ko not to be impulsive (kahit na ang hirap mag resist huhu). And ako diiiin, i think long and hard kung bibili ba talaga ako or not (na minsan nakakalimutan ko nalang talaga kasi antagal ko ng inisip lol). Kaya im always excited whenever i hit the pan or pag mauubos na yung nasa bottle! 🙂 I recently finished my Loreal Infallible foundation and face powder and a bottle of lip & cheek tint. 🙂 Also, ive researched about the life span of each make up items para i know when to throw it (YES ANG SAKIT PERO KAILANGAN HUHU) or if i know na hindi ko siya naman madalas magagamit, i give it to my cousins or aunts na i know who’ll gonna use it more often para di masayang. 🙂

CG B. July 7, 2017 at 1:59 pm

I am doing my Project Pan as well so I know how it feels. I’d like to try the Guerlain meteorites too 😉

Nicar Yu August 2, 2017 at 7:18 pm

I always finish my Benetint and the Porefessional… as in super simot ☺️ I would love to try those meteorites 😘

maj August 6, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Haha. Please include me on those guerlain balls. I want to see the magic. Lol. I’ve been using my nars orgasm blush for three months. I want to finish it this 2017. Long wayyyy to go before I see the pan 🙂