Selene and Her Imagination

disney-junior-asia-animate-imagination-2

Indulge Her Imagination

A Princess story
Back when this little person was still in my womb, I’ve already been reading her stories in hopes of getting her interested in books when she came out. We continued on with story-telling, particularly regular bedtime stories, to further encourage this love of reading. I was an avid book reader myself when I was younger. As a 4th grader, I spent my allowance on Baby Sitters Club, Full House, Sweet Valley, Junie B. Jones even Mary Kate and Ashley adventures series. Eventually, my choice of genre evolved as I grew older but my love for reading has always been with me – and that is something I want to pass on to this little girl right here.
This month Disney Junior Asia is holding a contest called Animate Your Imagination where kids can send in their own stories. Disney will pick 3 of the most creative stories submitted and will be featured on the Disney Junior channel. Upon opening her Animate Your Imagination kit, Selene grabbed my hand, took me to her closet and insisted on wearing her favorite Sofia the First princess while she worked on her story. Her own concocted story actually piqued my interest as it’s very her – a combination of all her favorite stories that might not seem to go together.
disney-junior-asia-animate-imagination-3

Super Princess Selena

Selene’s Own Princess Story
Selene’s imagined story is about a princess who has super powers. At first, she wanted the princess to be a bit like Wonder Woman – her favorite super heroine, but then when I asked what superpower she wanted Princess Selena to have, she enthusiastically chimed – “she can change into any animal she wants and rescues people”. So one day, Super Princess Selena can be a powerful unicorn that saves the townspeople from the wrath of a villainous panda – and the next day she can turn into a fire-breathing dragon and save her best friend Princess Zara from a hungry bear during their afternoon tea party. All with the help of her trusted sidekick, a shih-tzu named Chachi.
disney-junior-asia-animate-imagination-6 disney-junior-asia-animate-imagination-7disney-junior-asia-animate-imagination-8disney-junior-asia-animate-imagination-9
Did I mention Super Princess Selena can also turn into half an animal while remaining half a human? Yes, she can turn into a mermaid, too – according to storyteller Selene.
disney-junior-asia-animate-imagination-5
After exhausting her storytelling imagination for the day, Selene (the storyteller! not the Super Princess Selena) calls it a day and holds her own tea party with her Mommy.
disney-junior-asia-animate-imagination
Join the Contest!
I urge you and your kiddos to take part in this creative storytelling contest – not necessarily to win and get featured (although that would be super awesome, right?) but to hone your child’s mental skills as well as their artistic capabilities. Not to mention, this serves as a great bonding activity between Mom and daughter/son. I definitely enjoyed hearing my daughter’s own imagination at work and seeing how her mind works. It makes made me feel so proud as a mom!
For more details on how to join, check out Disney Junior Animate Your Imagination.

1. Rhea Carla Lubi
    June 9, 2016 / 3:47 pm

Nice one Selene. I love your story and your creative imagination… Keep it up beautiful girl

• June 21, 2016 / 10:00 pm

Thanks Rhea! I wanted her to be a girly girl pero I love na may halong little boy spunk in her din 🙂 Princess that can turn into a dragon diba!

• June 21, 2016 / 10:00 pm

Thanks Er!! Oh my Im sure Little Star is slowly growing into a not-so-little Star na! 🙂 Sending love to you guys!

2. Cherry Lou Almarez Felicitas
    June 13, 2016 / 11:50 am

I had the same experienced when I was in my college days, Im a pocketbook reader myself, I love mysteries, suspense and horror books, Goose bumps, Jurrasic Park, Flowers in the Attic are some of the books I love reading, for the reason that it takes me to another world by just imagining. When Nikki (my daughter) was just a little girl (around 1 year old) I used to read her books everytime specially before bed, she would love me reading Dora the Explorer and Diego. One time I went home and bought a toy for her, when I gave it to her, she seems less interested to it, she are more fond with books I guess, I even asked here “Nikki what would you like? (I held a book on my left had and a toy on my right hand) she pointed on the book. From then on she would as for a book as a gift on her birthday or everytime I went on a book store she would say, Mommy please buy me a book..Now she just turned 7, I saw her once, peeking onto my Revised Penal Codes, and hear her reading the book 3-inch thick. I hope she would forever love reading books even if technologies, internets and e-books are now booming. To all mommies out there, reading is one way of exploring and nurturing our childrens mind, it exercise their imagination on things and places they dont see, lets encourage them and make reading as a habit.

• June 21, 2016 / 10:04 pm

Awww, Nikki is a cute little bookworm! Good job momma!! Books over toys talaga. I love that she even started reading the RPC! hands down, nikki! Even I cant get through one page of that without falling asleep, hahaha! And yes — lets definitely pray our kids would continue to love reading books despite the many technologies popping up here and there. Its up to us to keep encouraging that habit 🙂

3. valentine gonzaga
    June 18, 2016 / 1:23 pm

this is so cute! kids do have better imagination I must say. by the way, what app and font did you use for the pictures?

• June 21, 2016 / 10:05 pm

Thanks Valentine!! I used Photoshop for these. The font – I forgot. Will edit this when I check na.