My Lovely Lady Vamps

cover-vamp-lipsticks top-vamp-lipsticks-2

Deep, Dark Reds

are my best friends
I’ve long eschewed red lipstick because I had the notion that red means bright or too bold a.k.a not me then (I’m much more open now!). It wasn’t until I swiped on MAC Viva Glam I that I realized there was such a red shade meant for bright-averse me. Since then, I’ve always been on the hunt for deeper, darker reds to suit my palate. The bloodier, the better. I remember I wore Lipstick Queen Entourage for a week that when I didn’t for a day (wore pink instead), my husband asked what if there was something wrong – “Are you sad? Are you going through something?
What I don’t like about deep shades is that they’re more high-maintenance as compared to the lighter hues. They tend to bleed and feather easily that I’m constantly checking if I’ve lipstick on my nose or on my cheek (because I learned that I unconsciously touch my face often). So during the past months, I’ve been opting for pinks and nudes more than my vamps. Also, since coloring my hair lighter, I found that these vamps don’t impart the same impact as when I had darker hair.
top-vamp-lipsticks top-vamp-lipsticks-swatches
Shade by Shade
MAC Viva Glam I isn’t quite a vamp but it’s my first love – an Old Hollywood redMAC Frank ‘n Furter (review) is a deep raspberry wine shade with a slightly creamier matte finish than Viva Glam. NARS Cruella is a scarlet red shade in a weightless velvety matte finish (which I love but my dry lips don’t!). Lipstick Queen Entourage (review) is a beautiful deep wine shade with a satin-to-matte finish. Guerlain Orgueil, a liquid lipstick, is a medium reddish plum with a matte finish. Lastly, LA Splash in Vampire is my darkest (liquid) lipstick of all time, it even translates almost blackish on my lips. It’s of the powdery clings-on-to-your-lips-for-dear-life matte finish.
mac-viva-glam-1 nars-cruellalipstick-queen-entourage guerlain-orgeuil
How about thou?
Are you into wearing deep, dark reds? What’s your favorite shade of blood? Let me know!

• September 9, 2015 / 3:36 pm

SOON, DEAR. Ang hirap i-keri. Natatakot ang bebegurl ko when she sees me with it on HAHAHAHA

1. August 28, 2015 / 2:25 pm

I love vampy reds come fall. My latest obsession is Oxblood by Burberry! I may have to check out a few of your favorites as well.

• September 9, 2015 / 3:37 pm

Oxblooodd <333 Been on my wishlist for so long but since it's hard to get a hold of here, I've let it go! 🙂 Thanks dear!

2. anne0822
    August 28, 2015 / 3:32 pm

Please review the LA Splash! 🙂
    I love deep dark colors, i always wanna look kontrabida. Lol
    Currently loving Happy Skin’s matte red (is it the Too Hot or Too Cool? I always forget the name) from the Preview Collection, it doesn’t smudge and stays for 5-6 hrs, can even last up to 8 hrs if I eat and drink carefully!

• September 9, 2015 / 3:38 pm

First thought: ANG TINDI NG LONGEVITY NIYA. Oil lang talaga makakatanggal sa kanya :)))
      Still road-testing Happy Skin but so far, so good! I got a pink shade though so longevity is so-so. 🙂

• September 9, 2015 / 3:39 pm

Everyone should have Entourage – I just feel like it’s the deep vamp shade great for every skin tone!! 🙂 I’ve seen it on a lot and it looks SO SO good on each one.

3. August 29, 2015 / 8:36 am

I luuurve a good deep, dark red. They were my first love and they always will be. I’d love to see you wear Vampire! It looks very similar to Lime Crime’s Wicked.

• September 9, 2015 / 3:39 pm

It’s almost BLACK on me, gurl. Selene gets scared when I wear it HAHAHA!!

4. August 29, 2015 / 11:38 pm

I like the Lipstick Queen and Guerlain. You really can’t go wrong with deep dark reds 🙂

5. September 2, 2015 / 9:21 am

I have that Guerlain, but in different shades; and I find the packaging too luxury, the weight is kinda ridiculous, don’t you think? It’s even heavier than my phone hahah

• September 9, 2015 / 3:40 pm

Weight is ridiculous indeed!!! LOL. I can not for the life of me bring it for touch-ups. It’s just so heavy!!!

6. September 2, 2015 / 9:30 am

Yeeeeeeees I love vampy reds so much! I especially find the burgundy-purples super flattering. I’m not really one for typical reds, I feel like it’s quite boring? Haha, that’s pretty ironic 😛

Tasha // shiwashiful.

• September 9, 2015 / 3:41 pm

Burgundy purple – I must find me a shade like that soon! 🙂 And yes, typical reds are boring for me now, too!!

7. September 7, 2015 / 5:21 pm

Quite the opposite for me. I felt the need to go with bolder lips after going lighter with my hair. It’s like I have to overcompensate with my bold lips, because nudes might wash me out. :)) Unexpected effect of lightened hair on me. I’m still not into bloody reds, though. It seems like my hair always sticks to my lips and leaves lines on my cheeks when I wear dark reds. Obviously, I’m clumsy like that!

• September 9, 2015 / 3:42 pm

Maybe I’m just not used to it yet but I feel like I like dark shades better on my dark hair. Haha!! Now I feel mas bagay the pinky nudes/pinks more because the reds go head to head with the blonde-ish hair! If that makes sense! WHAAAT!? Not into dark bloody reds!? I feel the need to convert you, Marielle! LOLOL. I kid!

• September 10, 2015 / 3:57 am

Convert meeeee! TBH, I’ve been meaning to broaden my lipstick horizons. (Because it’s fun living on the edge… Lol.) I tried MAC Diva, but found it a little too brown on me.

• September 17, 2015 / 2:47 pm

MAC Diva is beautiful but it verges on the burnt brick side. Maybe ease into darks first with Vivien? Or NARS Charlotte! 🙂

8. September 9, 2015 / 3:40 pm

Thanks Anna!!! See you soon. Hope you’re liking Pure (kung ano man yung binigay ko sayo I forgot LOL).

9. October 18, 2015 / 9:51 am

So I’m like, two months behind on this post BUT I LOVE VAMPY REDS TOOOOOOOO. Back in the day, I was convinced that I would never ever ever wear lipstick…and then I did. And then I vowed never to wear red lipstick because they were too bright and bold….and today, I have like, ~less than 10 tubes of that stuff. I’d wear a red lip every day if I could, but wearing red lipstick without black liner looks weird on me, AND I DON’T HAVE TIME FOR DRAWING WINGS EVERY DAY. My favourite reds…well, I don’t have a lot, but UD’s Ms Mia Wallace and Besame’s Red Velvet makes me swoon.