Matte Reds I’m Loving at the Moment

loreal-matte-red-lipstick2 sep
Just a Quick Update: I’m back!
Hello you, it’s me, Shari, friendly neighborhood owner of this blog. There’s been some radio silence on here I won’t apologize for because we all know that’s annoying. I mean, who here really looked for me? LOL. But yes, I took an unexpected one week break from the world of blogging just to recharge, organize my thoughts and sort of motivate myself again because I’ve been too all over the place. I did a lot of bonding with my growth spurting toddler, some pondering on the future and a bit of reminiscing when I was hit by separation anxiety caused by this long distance relationship with my husband. That one week did me some good – I’m recharged, roaring and ready to take on the blogging world again.
sep loreal-matte-red-lipstick4

L’Oreal Matte Reds

Pure Rouge, Pure Ruby, Pure Garnet
My first comeback post is of course about.. lipstick. I’ve recently just tried the Moist Matte range of L’Oreal which I’ve written and shared about here. This time, I was sent three of their newest red hot shades to try. The L’Oreal Moist Matte formula is that of a creamy matte – they don’t drag on the lips but they set to a semi-powdery matte, no-shine finish. Most of them (they are not all equally pigmented) are extremely bold and pigmented in just one swipe.
With my previous encounter, the lighter shades tend to accentuate dry patches and lip lines, but with these red shades, I didn’t experience any. It actually made my dry lips look better and smoother. However, I did encounter some bleeding and transferring. I find that (as with all dark lipsticks), a lip liner is best to ‘perfect’ the look and set the lipstick in place.
loreal-matte-red-lipstick5loreal-matte-red-lipstickswatches
Shades
Pure Garnet is a deep wine shade, reminiscent of MAC Diva. Layer it on twice and it actually could pass off as MAC Diva. Pure Ruby and Pure Rouge are so similar on my lips that I had to go through my photos again to see which one is which on my FOTDs below. Pure Ruby has a tiny hint of coral and is brighter than Pure Rouge. Pure Rouge is a deeper true red, almost reminiscent of blue-based red MAC Ruby Woo.
I particularly had some trouble with the beautiful shade (my favorite among the three) Pure Garnet as it doesn’t apply as evenly as the two other shades and I’ve experienced more transfer and bleeding with it (which I guess is typical for very vampy shades unless it’s bone dry matte). While I don’t find the formula of this heavy, it’s not hydrating as well so by the fourth hour, I do feel the dryness.
Wear time is a good four hours before fading. I like that these can last through one meal! They don’t easily wear off even if you’ve chomped down a burger. For Php400 ($9), I think these are great matte red lipstick options if you don’t have fussy lips.
loreal-matte-reds-asian
Which one do you think you would choose among the three? Share below and I might just send you one to try.

1. Ohms BE
    August 13, 2015 / 3:55 pm

Hi Shari! Pure Garnet looks good on you, I wanna try that too, hope it suits on morena skin.:)

2. August 13, 2015 / 4:13 pm

Huhu I want all… o_O but if I were to choose, Pure Rouge! I want an alternative to the Ruby Woo that isn’t as dry 🙂

3. _royalsunshine_
    August 13, 2015 / 4:26 pm

Hi Shari!!! 😀

I really like Pure Ruby, it’s so creamy when I swatched it in store. But I didn’t buy any more reds because I do not need it! HAHA.

4. August 13, 2015 / 5:45 pm

I purchased Pure Garnet because of the color+ i thought it would be a deeper red but it is quite sheer. Definitely not very matte either. After I ate it was quite patchy already so I have to reapply at LEAST twice. I should have gotten Pure Ruby. It seems more my color.

PS Glad you’re back! Missed your blog posts!!

5. August 13, 2015 / 6:41 pm

Red Garnet looks like a great fall colour! And its so nice to have you back, Shari!

6. August 13, 2015 / 8:07 pm

Pure Garnet looks sooooo good on you!!

7. jeremy
    August 13, 2015 / 8:51 pm

I can’t see the difference of rouge and ruby too. I never tried red/vampy shades, I’m into nudes and pinks:) If I have a chance to try it, its a good start for me to be comfortable of wearing red shade. I want pure garnet or pure rouge pretty please:)

8. August 13, 2015 / 11:49 pm

OMG.. RED LIPSTICKS, I am trying to resist! LOL. I might pick up one? HAHA! 🙂

9. August 14, 2015 / 12:41 am

Pure Garnet is my fave! I’m partial to deeper reds though the rest look awesome 😛

10. August 14, 2015 / 9:47 pm

Eh, Pure Ruby and Pure Rouge do look highly similar even in other reviews I’ve read. But if you say Pure Ruby has a hint of coral, I’d get that because I like warm, bright reds!

11. August 16, 2015 / 2:34 am

You look soooooooooooo beautiful in reds! <3 For myself I prefer warm reds though, I don't do cool and vampy reds well.

12. anne0822
    August 16, 2015 / 2:23 pm

yep, Pure Garnet looks best on you.. or personal preference ko lang talaga mga vampy lipstick so medyo biased ang taste ko. hehe

13. Anna Carmina
    August 17, 2015 / 2:14 am

In love with this collection ’cause I am a sucker for red lipsticks. Rouge reminds me so much of the shade Emma Roberts wore in American Horror Story: Freakshow!

14. August 20, 2015 / 1:26 pm

You’re right. One look at the photo and I thought it looked like MAC Diva, even before reading the text of the entry. Nice alternative, especially for someone like me who’s unsure if I want to commit to such a dark color for the 1k price tag of a MAC.

15. Claudia
    August 21, 2015 / 6:38 pm

These look gorgeous, all the shades really suit you. Pure Ruby is lovely!

16. September 1, 2015 / 12:40 pm

It’s my first time to visit your blog and I think I’ll visit it again sooner 🙂 hihi. I’m a nurse and I’m in a hunt for a lipstick coz i don’t wanna look paler than my patients. I thank God I found your blog!:) i love those lipsticks you, the first 2 shades made you look younger and pure garnet made you look mature 🙂 but they look so good on you!! i’ll try to try them once i go to the mall, i’m really afraid of reds but i’ll try… Hehe. Di kasi bagay sakin..

17. September 2, 2015 / 9:20 am

I love Pure Garnet ♥

18. leslie reyes
    March 2, 2016 / 3:19 pm

i love to wear pure rouge! ♥ so pretty in red. 🙂