Colored Liners I Would Wear Out

benefit-theyre-real-colored-liners-demo-2 benefit-theyre-real-colored-liners-4benefit-theyre-real-colored-liner-2 benefit-theyre-real-colored-liner-1

Colored Eyeliners

Benefit They’re Real Push Up Liners
It’s been a while since I’ve tried my hand on colored liners because.. well, they look too flashy. Case in point, this red liner. So when Benefit came out with this range of colored eyeliners following their original Push-Up Gel Liner, I wasn’t really bouncing off the walls. Colored eyeliners, really? When I saw that I was sent a blue and a green shade, I thought to myself… “What blush and lipstick go well with BLUE liner?!”
I was prepared to churn out a less-than-excited review on these, but when I tried both liners on, I had to do some reassessment. First off, the shades aren’t bold or bright in any way. They’re darker and muted – olive and marine are more apt shade names. I would even go as far as saying, yes they are wearable. Yes, as in for actually going out of the house — without being afraid to get ‘those looks’ from others.
benefit-theyre-real-colored-liners-demo
Thoughts
Same as the original liner, it comes in a twist-up pen that dispenses the gel from a flexible Accuflex tip. For the first use, you’d have to twist up around 20 times or more before the gel shows itself. It’s squishy, creamy gel that melts when it comes in contact with your lids so if you’ve dispensed more than the necessary amount, good luck with the challenge!
I usually click twice and help push out the gel with my fingers as seen above. With the optimum amount, the gel glides on effortlessly. I did find the Beyond Blue liner to be a bit flaky in application – as compared to the Beyond Green shade that doesn’t flake at all. Once the gel touches your lids, it almost instantly (around 3-5 seconds) turns matte and becomes unbudgeable.
A heads up — if you have oily skin and/or oily lids, this will transfer and smudge by the end of the day. But for those who don’t, this is virtually indestructible. I like using the Benefit They’re Real makeup remover to easily take off these liners and their mascara. With Bioderma or other waterproof makeup removers, I still take way too long. It’s like the brand purposely made it as such with the antidote only to be found with them. Touché, Benefit.
benefit-theyre-real-colored-liner-green copy benefit-theyre-real-colored-liner-blue copy
I paired both looks with a clean base, coral-tinted lips, barely-there tangerine blush and Benefit They’re Real brown mascara. I like how I don’t look too ‘intense’ in these shades even if I”m wearing “color” – I even like Beyond Green more than I think I would as it really pops without looking too flashy. Beyond Blue shade is a great alternative to black. It’s not the tacky, SM Dept. Store blue eyeshadow shade.
I’d love to know what you think of these. Yay or nay?

1. August 4, 2015 / 5:34 pm

Beyond blue looks so lovely on you. I couldn’t make these liners work all that well on me but I will give it another try 🙂

• August 11, 2015 / 1:32 pm

Thank you Sara!!! I miss chatting with you dear! Hope all is well 🙂 KISSES!!
      I personally don’t think these are a walk in the park – they require some patience! But I do like the colors 🙂

2. August 4, 2015 / 5:36 pm

I’d definityely go for the green or purple. If the blue was a bit more electric or more of cerulean, getting that too! The blue one’s great for a more subtle pop of color. I think you should wear colored liners more! The green really suits you! Eyeliner is a big thing for me. I usually only wear just that and no eyeshadow. Currently, I have 4 in rotation. I need to finish up 2, then I can open whatever’s next. Oh the ‘struggle’.

• August 11, 2015 / 1:38 pm

I’ve yet to see the purple! I really expected these to be bright and flashy but I was wrong! Cerulean blue sounds like a beaute – I personally like the color. Or maybe because I like saying it – cerulean! LOL. I’ve been on the ‘just liner’ stage but recently, I’ve been doing one shade cream shadow looks – just smudging it in there and putting on lots of mascara. Skipping the eyeliner, yes! If I do, I go for dark brown with a bit of sparkle like MAC Teddy. 🙂

3. August 4, 2015 / 8:23 pm

I’m not too fond of the applicator, but I love the blue colour so much that I might give this a try!

Pauline | Catpacking

• August 11, 2015 / 1:39 pm

The applicator really has a learning curve 🙂 The colors are really nice, though!

4. August 5, 2015 / 3:33 am

The shade Beyond Blue is so pretty! Although I am not a big fan of the applicator 😛

• August 11, 2015 / 1:42 pm

Another -1 for the applicator here! I get you guys, it’s not as user-friendly as it seems. But once you get the hang of it, it gets better!

5. August 5, 2015 / 3:46 am

I’m not a big fan of the eyeliners, but the blue mascara is calling my name! hihi

• August 11, 2015 / 1:42 pm

Blue liner, you mean? I can’t imagine wearing blue mascara Juvs! 🙂 Hihi

6. August 5, 2015 / 2:08 pm

GREEN! I’d love to try that!

• August 11, 2015 / 1:44 pm

It’s sooo nice! Would you like me to send this green one to you so you can try it? I’ve used it na though! Hope its okay 🙂

• August 13, 2015 / 11:47 am

OMG i will email you in a bit! 😀

7. August 5, 2015 / 11:24 pm

I looooooooooove colorful eyeliner! I’m not a fan of this particular eyeliner though. I just can’t seem to make it work… I always mess up and it takes me soooo much time to get it right… Hence why I prefer regular gel eyeliner in a jar, or pencils.

• August 11, 2015 / 1:50 pm

I get you, babe!! When you’re used to regular gel liners in pots, it’s hard to transition to using a pen! 🙂 what colorful eyeliners do you wear? I wanna know (and see!!! link mee) 🙂

• August 11, 2015 / 5:17 pm

I really love MAC’s Fluidlines (did a review on Blue Peep not too long ago, it’s suuuuuuuch a pretty shade!) and I just ordered a bunch of colorful eyeliner pencils from Bourjois. One of them is pink. PINK! 🙂 As soon as I’m done playing around and experimenting with them I’ll start working on a review. Might take me a while though, ’cause I’m taking a big blog break soon.

8. Jaya Melwani
    August 6, 2015 / 2:25 pm

Wow, I don’t wear make up unless absolutely necessary but holy cow, I must have those colored liners!!!

• August 11, 2015 / 1:51 pm

If you’re a liner > lipstick girl – these are really nice to have 😉 HELLOOOO JAYA! So nice to see you here!

9. August 10, 2015 / 8:42 pm

Yep, they look so wearable. 🙂

10. Poorani
    August 11, 2015 / 6:36 am

Shari, I find your writing style very fresh and fun. I love it. Where do you get such command over the language? Please make makeup videos again.

• August 11, 2015 / 4:34 pm

Thank you, Poorani! 🙂 I just write as if I were talking to a friend 😉 And yes, I’ll try to do makeup videos again!

11. August 20, 2015 / 1:14 pm

Yay for the color selection. I’m afraid of bright metallic ones, but these are totally wearable. Wouldn’t end up thinking, “Do I look like I’m trying hard to look like a school girl. Since they’ve kept the shades mostly dark or medium, keri lang. I’d be a little annoyed with the tip of the pen, if I had to keep helping it along for every use.

12. August 26, 2015 / 10:28 am

When these were announced, I was actually quite surprised given how polarizing the response for the original black one was. But anyways, I say yay to coloured liners as a general whole! (BUT MAYBE NOT RED BECAUSE THAT RED WAS A TOUCH TOO FLASHY ON YOU) Anyways, I do wish that the colours were a bit flashier, but otherwise, I do think they look great on you!