Powerful Drugstore Skincare Duo

olay-regenerist-serum-miracle-boost
OLAY REGENERIST
THE MIRACLE DUO
Skincare is a touchy subject for me. As much as I want to churn out one skincare product review after another, it’s impossible since I’d like to test them out first for at least three weeks to a month. Also, since we all differ in skin types and sensitivities, I feel iffy recommending skincare products to anyone as if it were clothes that you can just try on without any risk. But since I’ve been tasked to road test this new Olay Regenerist serum and the Micro-Sculpting Cream Moisturizer, I’ve religiously used them for two weeks straight and am now here to show results of this duo on my skin.
olay-regenerist-miracle-boost-serumolay-regenerist-serum-miracle-boost-3
MIRACLE BOOST SERUM
First things first, Niacinamide is number two on the list of ingredients of the Miracle Boost Serum. WOW. That means it isn’t just a minuscule percentage of the serum. Not so familiar with it? Let me get a little bit science-y for a while – niacinamide is a component of Vitamin B3 that has been proven in numerous studies to prevent loss of moisture in the skin content and is said to be able to stimulate collagen synthesis. It also treats red marks left behind from acne breakouts. In short, what this means is that niacinamide is a powerful active ingredient that is both anti-aging (prevents wrinkles, etc.) and brightening in one.
After just the first night of use, I woke up to a slightly ‘lighter’, ‘brighter’ face right away. I thought maybe it was my mind just playing tricks on me but then my sister-in-law asked me what BB cream I was using ‘cos “it looked so natural” when really, I didn’t have any makeup on. +1 for the Miracle Boost serum. I continued using it for the next two weeks and while the results after weren’t as dramatic after the first night of usage, I had consistently brighter skin because of the subtle evening of my skin tone as days passed.
olay-regenerist-serum-miracle-boost-4 olay-regenerist-moisturizer
MICRO-SCULPTING CREAM MOISTURIZER
As with the serum, this cream moisturizer also contains niacinamide except it’s listed fourth on the ingredients list. It has higher amounts of glycerin (a common humectant found in moisturizers) and a common moisturiser thickener that are above it on the list. I’ve also detected citric acid on the ingredient list (although it is located quite on the lower half) which is an alpha-hydroxy acid that exfoliates the skin and removes dead skin cells.
I used the moisturiser only at night as I do find it quite thick for the day. I feel that using it together with the serum makes the actives more powerful as it sort of locks in the serum on your skin. The consistency is a thick cream that absorbs fully after 12-15 minutes on average. Impressive that it doesn’t leave any oily film so if you’ve extremely dry skin, you can wear this in the morning because it absorbs really well and moisturizes any dry patches you may have. The down side is, you’ve to wait for quite some time before it fully dries and gets absorbed. Still, I wouldn’t recommend wearing the moisturizer in the day if you’ll be exposed to heat because it’ll sweat on your face.
olay-regenerist-serum-results
More even skintone, lighter undereye circles (!!), lessened redness around my nose! May be a miracle indeed.
FINAL THOUGHTS
If you’re looking for a potent serum and a moisturizer to kickstart your skincare regimen or boost your current one that may have plateaued already, I highly recommend these two – dubbed the Miracle Duo – as they’re not as outrageously priced as luxury skincare products but are just as effective. I’ve even come across other luxury skincare serums in the past that have actives that aren’t even proven to be effective yet so it’s a gamble if your skin will react to it positively or not. But in this Olay serum — Niacinamide, the potent active in the products, has already been proven in multiple studies to be an effective anti-aging and brightening ingredient. So you’re sure of efficacy – unless of course you happen to be sensitive or allergic to it (or to any of the ingredients in the serum).
Let me know if you’ve tried or will be trying these two – I’d love to hear your experiences!
sep
If you want to get the Miracle Duo online at a discount, check it out here! For more information on these two, follow Olay Philippines in the ff accounts: Facebook: Olay Philippines Instagram: @olayphilippines
*This post was brought to you by Olay Philippines. All thoughts and feelings expressed in this entry are my own.

1. May 19, 2015 / 6:07 pm

Look at your gorgeous face!!! I’ll definitely keep this in mind, but at the moment I’m drowning in skincare. It’s my weakness, well one of them anyways xx
    thebeautybloss.com

• May 24, 2015 / 11:57 am

Oh yes babe – your skincare p0rn is always my favorite!! So much good stuff! Let’s have a pamper party at yours while we let our little ones stuff their faces in chocolate cake pls! Haha!

• May 24, 2015 / 11:57 am

It’s about time then 😉

2. May 19, 2015 / 9:36 pm

NEED THESE! I’ve been using the Olay Natural White day lotion for the past few months and my skin LOVES it. Probably the main reason I want to try these two new Olay products!

• May 24, 2015 / 11:57 am

Erika!! Super nice the serum!! I highly recommend it 🙂 If I had an extra bottle, I’d give ya!! Huhu.

• May 24, 2015 / 11:58 am

Far from it but thanks Katie!

3. May 20, 2015 / 4:32 am

That serum! I haven’t seen it yet. My skin responds well to Olay serums. Most of the time I don’t follow up with a moisturizer na because the oils I ‘generate’ after a few minutes serve as the occlusive na rin 😛

• May 24, 2015 / 11:58 am

It means your skin responds well to Niacinamide then – ‘cos it’s usually their main active ata 🙂 Ako I’m quite dry on some areas so I need moisturizer pa 🙁

4. May 20, 2015 / 4:37 am

Interesting! I am about to finish my serum, and would love to look for alternatives. This might be it. Does it have a strong scent?

• May 24, 2015 / 12:00 pm

It is scented Juvs! Light floral “Olay scent” but it fades away naman after. Which serum are you using now? 🙂

5. Lily
    May 20, 2015 / 12:51 pm

OK, you sold me at “lesser redness around my nose”. I need to have a look at this… I’m still a little skeptical because drugstore serum and moisturizers has never really worked that well on me so far. And once I failed a couple of times, I just gave up completely. This might change that, eh?

• May 24, 2015 / 12:03 pm

Ahhh yes, I don’t think I’ve tried a drugstore serum I really like. L’Oreal’s Youth Code was okaaay, but I didn’t see any marked differences. This one though does have that brightening effect thanks to the niacinamide. 🙂

6. May 22, 2015 / 12:13 am

Your skin is really looking amazing! I love when affordable, drugstore brands really bring it in terms of quality packaging and high-tech ingredients 🙂

• May 24, 2015 / 12:04 pm

Thanks Jenn! It’s far from perfect but this has been one of the better days- it has seen far worse! Being a beauty blogger and experimenting with skincare has worked out well LOL! 🙂

7. June 3, 2015 / 10:54 pm

I was the ninny who insisted on trying out Olay Total Effects in high school. I had this philosophy that “You’re never too young to start anti-aging.” Ugh. In retrospect, the formula was too potent. I’m about to start using Olay again (legitimately, this time), and I’m feeling optimistic. I want to try the brightening one for dark spots. (Blue-green bottle, I think?)

8. June 10, 2015 / 1:17 am

Oh man, that serum sounds amazing and I would totally try it if it was a cruelty-free brand. WHAT IS THIS NIACINAMIDE AND WHY HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF IT?? My mom absolutely loves the micro-sculpting cream though. Shayne (of Queen of All You See) mentioned loving it on her blog years back, and I decided to get my mom that cream and I don’t even know how many times she’s repurchased it by now.

I h8 u & ur flawless skin ;-;

9. June 12, 2015 / 1:40 pm

Hey hey heyyyy not bad.How is it vs the L’oreal one and the Kiehl’s one?