My First Liquid Highlighter

rouge-bunny-rouge-sea-of-tranquility-cover-2 rouge-bunny-rouge-seas-of-illumination-2 rouge-bunny-rouge-sea-of-tranquility-cover rouge-bunny-rouge-swatches

Sea of  Tranquility

Rouge Bunny Rouge Liquid Highlighter
Rouge Bunny Rouge Sea of Tranquility is a light pink liquid highlighter similar to Benefit High Beam.
It’s no secret – I’m obsessed with my Burberry Nude Radiance powder highlighter. If it were available locally, I’d hoard three more as back-ups. But I also have been itching to get a liquid highlighter for the longest for the main purpose of mixing it with my matte foundations — to soften them up and add a bit of glow instead of being just a flat matte. Yes, Estee Lauder Double Wear, I’m talkin’ bout you. I initially thought of going with MAC Strobe Cream but Luxola was on sale during that time so all other options were thrown out the window. I’m quite sad though that Rouge Bunny Rouge isn’t restocked by the site anymore – I always check back for new products but ’til now, there’s been no progress. But I digress.
Rouge Bunny Rouge Sea of Tranquility is a lightweight liquid illuminator with light pink undertones. If you’re familiar with Benefit High Beam, this is a less thicker, more refined version. It’s also similar to NARS liquid illuminators except this is decidedly less metallic and sparkly. At first use, I was overwhelmed because I pumped out too much of the stuff but when I put it on — WOW. It blended in beautifully with my skin and foundation. I did learn that it’s better to wear it OVER foundation (or WITH but not UNDER) as it has a tendency to emphasize a few of my big pores that way. Once blended, the frost is there but not quite, almost undetectable unless you stare for at least 5 seconds.
rouge-bunny-rouge-sea-tranquility-fotd-2rouge-bunny-rouge-sea-tranquility-fotd
Final Thoughts
I know I shouldn’t be talking about highlighters right now in this scorching Philippine weather where everyone’s sporting nature’s highlighter a.k.a sweat, ha! But anyway, if you’re looking for something to mix in with your foundations, blushes, even eyeshadows – Rouge Bunny Rouge Sea of Tranquility is one of the most refined highlighters you can get your hands on. No chunky glitters, no metallic pore-emphasizing finish, just a natural slightly-shimmery pinky glow that brightens the skin a touch or two. Every time I wear this (just like the Burberry Nude Radiance powder), I never fail to get “nice skin” compliments. I figured it’s really the highlighter at work faking that had-8-hours-of-sleep glow when really it was had-only-4-hours-because-I-marathoned-Fresh-off-the-Boat.
Are you keen on using highlighters? What is your top one at the moment?

1. April 13, 2015 / 11:07 am

No need for highlighters here in the Philippines! I do agree that powder highlighters tend to emphasize my pores so I’ve been looking into liquid ones. The ones currently on my wish list are the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Moonstone and NARS Copacabana. I’m gravitating towards really metallic highlighters. I tried making my own with some crushed up powder highlighter and moisturizer. They failed to mention that it had to be finely crushed. I had chunks of highlighter on my face. I’ve come to the conclusion that I should just buy my own. Currently, the highlighter from my Filmstar Bronze and Glow has captured my heart and I don’t think it’s letting go anytime soon. It just creates such a beautiful golden glow without looking too much. It’s just the right amount of shimmery without looking too frosty or metallic. IN LAHV.

PS. There’s a liquid version of Burberry Nude Radiance. The link below is limited edition for the gold packaging but the shade is permanent. (Get it! Get it!)

• April 13, 2015 / 11:48 pm

I hatechoo gurl. Yes I saw that liquid Nude Radiance in LE packaging and I was drooling, crying, lahat na. Haha! I didn’t get it though ‘cos I thought I was good with my powder na. But omigosh, the glow liquid illuminators give also give me gasms, haha! Iba talaga! I guess I’m just on a highlighter kick since it’s the last makeup product I’ve ever learned how to use. I used to have MAC Luna that just went bad without me even using it 1/4 of the way ‘cos I didn’t know how to! SAYANG. It was so nice rin, pero too white. 🙁 Anyway, I waaaaant Filmstar Bronze and Glow badly. I saw a local retailer and it costs PHP4k though! KALOKA MUCH. How much did you get yours and where?

• April 14, 2015 / 12:42 pm

I pre-ordered mine from @/sweets_16_ph from Insta! It was Php3,500. I ordered it first week of Jan. and got it around 2nd week of Feb. because it was delayed a week. Geddit geddit!

2. Lily
    April 13, 2015 / 11:24 am

I love how it looks on you, Shari. I only purchased a full sized liquid highlighter before, and it’s the Becca Shimmering Perfector in Pearl. I kinda regret buying it, because I hardly use it! That was a few years ago and ever since then, I know I should spend my money elsewhere. I hardly wear highlighters, period, and I’m not too keen on collecting them either. Just a handful in my stash is more than enough (and they’re powders) 🙂

• April 13, 2015 / 11:51 pm

Thanks, Lily!! I know what you mean – a highlighter is one of those makeup products I thought, “I’m good with just one of that”. Well, I still do. That’s why I only have 2 powders and 1 liquid highlighters in my stash 🙂 But on the contrary, I LOVE wearing them. I guess it’s cos of the fake glow it gives feigning great skin and health :)) I instantly look better with it even if it’s just concealer + brows + highlighter I have on. 🙂

3. MDinna
    April 13, 2015 / 12:00 pm

I like MAC Strobe Cream because it has a real luminous finish as opposed to giving you a sweaty look and emphasizing your pores. For spot highlighting, I would still go for cream and powder highlighters like Benefit Watt’s Up and Kevin Aucoin The Celestial Powder.

• April 13, 2015 / 11:54 pm

Ms D! I think it was you who got me to take a chance at MAC Strobe Cream. It was always out of stock before though so I only recently got to swatch it and I had this one na. I wanted it pa naman! And the sweaty look- ugh! I didn’t know there were differences in liquid illuminators before. After swatching and testing a few, I realized there are some formulas that are too fluid, hence the sweat effect! Ha ha! KEVYN AUCOIN CELESTIAL POWDER. WHY! It was actually out of my radar na but now it’s back. I remember Rae raving about this as well. Oh you guyssss.

4. April 13, 2015 / 2:01 pm

What a lovely highlighter! I’m not one for powder highlighters as well which is why I really like Benefit’s Watts Up, which is a more golden champagne highlighter that I find suits me better than pink-toned highlighters. You pull this off really well, though! 🙂

Catpacking | Beauty & Travel

• April 13, 2015 / 11:56 pm

Thanks Pauline! Another one for Benefit Watt’s Up! I tried it waaay back and since I didn’t know how to use highlighters then, I was a bit lost and underwhelmed. Will give it a swatch again soon 🙂 Also, I used to think I should stick to gold/champagne highlighters but surprisingly, this pink-tinged one works really well in brightening more than the golden champagne one!

5. April 13, 2015 / 2:14 pm

This one is lovely! It has a natural radiance to it that doesn’t look too obvious. One that I really like is the Holika Holika Aqua Petit Jelly Starter. its pink too but without visible shimmers. Looks great in direct sunlight

• April 13, 2015 / 11:57 pm

Thanks babe! I’ll give that Holika Holika one a swatch should I see it in my next counter visit! 🙂

6. April 13, 2015 / 2:22 pm

It’s so subtle. Your face just looks like it’s glowing!

• April 13, 2015 / 11:57 pm

Thanks, Aviva! The magic~ of highlighters – kaya I super love it! Lakas maka-awake and energized ready to take on the world. LOL hahaha!

7. April 13, 2015 / 4:59 pm

You look gorgeous! Cream/liquid highlighters I find a far more flattering on me. I really love an illamasqua cream highlighter (the name escapes me at the moment) it’s quite subtle for daytime or can be built up.
    thebeautybloss.com

• April 13, 2015 / 11:58 pm

Thank you dear! 🙂 I wish we had Illamasqua here but sadly, we don’t. I think I’ve heard about that Illamasqua highlighter you’re talking about – is it Aurora?

• April 14, 2015 / 7:24 am

Yep, that’s the one. I totally spaced on the name last night. So I pulled it out this morning and had to wear it x

8. April 13, 2015 / 5:46 pm

I love how flawless you look with this on! 🙂

• April 13, 2015 / 11:58 pm

Thank you my Jhanzey!! :*

9. April 13, 2015 / 8:19 pm

OOO this reminds me: I did receive some little pots with my previous orders. I have to dig them out!

I tend to use powder when it comes to highlighter. I do have Dior Glow Maximizer and I like how it looks when I mix a little bit in my foundation, but since I’m lazy I don’t do that often! Love this fresh glow on you tho. I should be more motivated to use Glow Maximizer more often 🙂

• April 13, 2015 / 11:59 pm

I haven’t heard anything about Dior Glow Maximizer, how strange! Do you have a review of it, Sunny? Is it still available? 🙂 I’d love to see it on you! 🙂

• April 14, 2015 / 1:26 am

I did review it but there is no before/after! I probably just found the difference too subtle to capture in photos 😉

10. April 14, 2015 / 5:48 am

This looks gorgeous on you, Shari. I am usually partial to powder highlights too (Becca Shimmering Skin Perfectors are an exception for me).

I am glad someone else is watching Fresh Off The Boat- I am obsessed with this show. So good, right?

11. April 14, 2015 / 7:35 am

hmmm liquid highlighters…i’m not sure i get on with those. i tried benefit’s high beam and it worked well but i like the watt’s up cream version better. i do want to try RBR one day though… maybe not this product but their shadows!! (i’m such an eyeshadow fiend)

jenn

A Beautiful Zen

12. April 21, 2015 / 2:21 am

This is perfect on you! I’ve been using the lightest shade in a Cle de Peau quad as my highlighter to save time, but I miss using a dedicated product! For liquid I usually go for BECCA Shimmering Skin peRFECTOR.

13. May 3, 2015 / 12:47 pm

Don’t care much for pink-undertone highlighters, BUT CAN WE JUST TALK ABOUT FRESH OFF THE BOAT???? 😀 ANOTHER WATCHER, AWWW YISS.

But anyways, highlighter-wise, been eyeing Becca’s pressed highlighters in ‘Opal’ and ‘Moonstone’. In the past I’ve tried mixing liquid highlighters with my flat matte foundations, but I found it didn’t do much? (Or maybe I just wasn’t putting in enough highlighter?)