Revlon Ultra HD Lipsticks

revlon-ultra-hd-lipstick-1B revlon-ultra-hd-lipsticks-2 revlon-ultra-hd-lipsticks

Revlon Ultra HD Lipstick

It’s been a while since Revlon made an appearance in this blog. Their Lip Butters were the last lip products I dabbled into as I didn’t get on with the their Colorburst Matte Balms. I recently swatched the Velvet Suede range during a Watson’s visit but I wasn’t impressed by the formula, either. So when Revlon sent over this newest range, dubbed the Ultra HD lipsticks, I was excited at the same time skeptical because of my sentiments on their previous releases. I mean, what is Ultra HD anyway? It reminded me of when Enzo and I were scouting for a new TV. I mean, I wouldn’t want the teeniest bits of dry patches on my lips to be magnified x100 in ultra-clear high-def.
Packaging. First, let me share my gripe on the packaging – the lipsticks don’t swivel all the way down! That’s just a no-no for someone as clumsy as me and puts lipstick caps back on as if I had my eyes closed. I literally had to spend a good 20 seconds to carefully put the lids back on for each of these. My favorite Revlon tubes were the Super Lustrous black and silver ones.
revlon-ultra-hd-lipsticks-swatches-all
Formula. Incredibly smooth and creamy (but not heavy) with a slight silicone-y feel. These are surprisingly very pigmented in one layer, although with the non-reds, I have to do two swipes to even out a full layer as it tends to be patchy on some areas where I’m drier. The finish is high-sheen, not particularly liquid-y glossy. On camera though, it looks 10x better, which I think is where the HD factor comes in as the lipsticks are quite photogenic.
But in person, right after application, the non-red shades look patchy and uneven. Half an hour or so after application though, the sheen dries down and the lipsticks register more satin/soft demi-matte (see last photo below). I have to also point out that Hibiscus and Orchid tend to cling on to dry patches and settle on lip lines so if you’ve imperfect lips (as I do), they’re not the most flattering. The same couldn’t be said for the two reds which apply evenly and flawlessly. On a positive note, these aren’t drying at all. And despite looking like the lipstick just sits atop the lips, the formula is lightweight and doesn’t make you want to just wipe them off from the heaviness that most cream lipsticks make you feel. Is it possibly because the lipsticks are wax-free and of gel-technology? Possibly.
revlon-ultra-hd-lipstick-swatches-peach-pinkrevlon-ultra-hd-lipstick-swatches-red
Shades. I appreciate that Revlon sent in one peach (Hibiscus), one pink (Orchid) and two reds (a bright one, Gladiolus and a darker one, Dahlia). These are all one layer swatches on the lips. Absolutely love Dahlia and Gladiolus as they both apply evenly and fuss-free. They also tend to look more high-sheen on photos because of the sun reflects, but in person, they’re more subdued and not as shiny. The photo on the left shows how the shades dry down to a softer demi-matte/satin.
Have you tried these Revlon Ultra HD lipsticks? If not, are you keen on trying them? Let me know your thoguhts!

1. March 17, 2015 / 1:21 pm

Not too keen on these. I’m a matte kinda gal. What really piqued my interest is that they’re a gel formula. Seems like everybody loves gel formulas right now.

2. March 17, 2015 / 1:21 pm

I just got four new lipsticks so I don’t think I’ll be buying these, hehe. I’m also not a fan of the packaging. Hibiscus looks super pretty on you, though!

My favorite Revlon Lipsticks are the Lipbutter in Raspberry Pie, Super Lustrous Lipstick in Cherries in the Snow, Colorburst Lipstick in Fuchsia, and Matte Lipstick in Pink About It. 🙂

• Yolondi
      March 17, 2015 / 6:28 pm

I’m still so upset they discontinued that range! I also love the gushing one, but never got the chance to buy one, my friend has it and I get so jelly when she wears it!

3. March 17, 2015 / 1:51 pm

I love the Super Lustrous Lipsticks (but not the smell-yuck!) and the Lip Butters are really great 😀 Was going to give these a try but klutzy and in-a-rush me wouldn’t be able to keep the lipstick bullet from looking mangled after a while…

4. March 17, 2015 / 6:59 pm

hmm yea i’ll passed on these. good in photos but not so much in real life…doesn’t quite work for me unless my friends only want to see me photograph form all the time lol. that would be so narcisstic. hey, can’t meet up but…here have a photo of me for your bedside 😛

5. March 17, 2015 / 7:46 pm

Hmm, I’ve been curious about these but I must say, the packaging is a MAJOR turnoff. They sound good, but not great. Lawd knows I DON’T need anymore lipsticks! The reds do look pretty though!

Tasha // shiwashiful.

6. Lily
    March 17, 2015 / 9:13 pm

Yeah, I have the same problem. I’d kill the lipsticks if they aren’t covered completely. Haha!

7. March 17, 2015 / 10:31 pm

Orchid and Dahlia look great on you! I didn’t know what to expect when I swatched these. Maybe I expected a little too much as my idea of HD usually involves skin-like foundations and setting powders, so I found them a little on the underwhelming side. I guess you’re right. The full effect comes out on cam. (And I had unrealistic expectations. lol)

8. March 17, 2015 / 10:58 pm

Ah, I love all four of these! I’ve heard great things about these and have been extra tempted as Emma Stone has been wearing these on the runway lately. Love the pigmentation in these. Each looks super pretty on you 🙂

9. March 17, 2015 / 11:42 pm

The colors look great, too bad they don’t wear well. I read some reviews of these lipsticks before and I decided not to get any. Hibiscus would be a perfect peach shade for spring, but my lips are often dry unfortunately.

10. March 19, 2015 / 12:43 am

I’m telling myself that I don’t need these, but Hibiscus is sooo pretty.

11. March 19, 2015 / 12:59 am

I almost bought Hibiscus because I want that color, but the scent was too overwhelming for me.

12. March 19, 2015 / 9:39 pm

I’ll pass on this one. I’ve long accepted that I’m not photogenic and anyway, I’ve other lippies that register prettily on cam, regardless. I wonder why lighter shades are always the fussiest to work with? I suddenly remember TFS Over Girl which has great bold colors but underwhelming light ones.

13. March 24, 2015 / 1:30 am

Oh damn these are sooo gorgeous! Been seeing swatches and I love the new packaging of these, they remind me a tiny bit of laniege lipsticks actually! My favorites shades are orchid and dhalia! I think all four shades are stunning on you though!

14. March 30, 2015 / 3:56 pm

zomggg these are so gorgeous on you! I especially love Orchid – I like it’s beaaauutiful with your complexion and hair colour. I am determined not to buy ANY of these however because I have 19823971 Revlon Lip Butters (which these seem to be the successor of) and about 10x more lip products in general.

15. March 31, 2015 / 1:21 pm

Hibiscus looks beautiful on you! I so agree with your gripe about the lids. I immediately smeared lipstick all over mine because I wasn’t careful enough 🙁

16. Anna Carmina
    August 17, 2015 / 2:20 am

These look really good! Gladiolus and Orchid looks amazing on you!

17. June 25, 2018 / 12:28 am

As more and more people explored ways of working trough the comfort of their house, internet business seems the best option for most.
    It is very important in the event of organic SEO campaign where results trickle in stages more
    than a any period of time of time. The most successful industry coaches and mentors in leadership training andd
    marketing teach this golden nugget: People buy you first.

18. August 19, 2018 / 12:50 pm

I know this web site presents quality depending articles and extra information, is there any other
    website which gives these kinds of things in quality?

19. August 26, 2018 / 6:34 pm

Hey I am soo grateful I found your blog page, I really found you by
    mistake, while I was browsing onn Google forr something
    else, Anyways I am here now andd would just like to say many thanks for a marvelous post and a
    all round thrrilling blog (I alswo love the theme/design), I
    don’t have time to browse itt all at the moment but I have bookmarked it
    and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have
    time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the great job.