My Dry Skin Dilemma

dry-skin-problem-causes summer-moisture-wash-olaysummer-moisture-wash-olay-2
SUMMER HEAT = Dryness
I didn’t think I would ever have the problem of battling dreaded dryness. Especially on my face – ‘cos ever since I could remember, I’ve always had oily – combination skin. To be honest, I preferred being combination/oily because it means I won’t be prone to pre-mature wrinkles and other aging concerns.
Ironic because I used to (still do actually!) enjoy basking in the sun, swimming in the pool and getting a tan (with those trendy bikini tan-lines in tow screaming I just came from the beach when in reality, I don’t even like swimming in saltwater) — activities that age skin faster than I can say “I regret not finishing up bottles of sunscreen during those times”.
Anyway, it has happened and I’m now more prone to dryness than oiliness. During these times, I’ve gotten comments from everyone telling me to stop over-extending my welcome under the sun and to moisturize moisturize moisturize! I also had dry areas all over my body but I didn’t give it much thought (‘cos I was so concentrated on my dry face) until Enzo (!!!) told me, “You should use the lotion I’m using. Your skin is kinda rough.” SLAP IN THE FACE, YO.
Add to that – I hate the feel of lotions all over especially when you step out of the house and the feel of lotion and the heat merge together and turn into one oily slick fest. Ugh. My mom, on the other hand, was a proponent of lotion and moisturizing. I even remember her sneaking into my sister and I’s room when we were young (until we were about 16-17) and putting lotion on our legs and arms while we were asleep then.
dry-skin-olay-moisture-body-wash
Another Culprit of Dryness
As summer season approaches again, dry skin can easily be our best friend. What with the combination of heat, extra sweating, exposure to saltwater and/or chlorine? These can all suck the moisture out of our skin cells, making it appear and feel scaly and itchy. But did you know that it’s not just SUMMER HEAT that can cause dryness? That even if you don’t go outside and enjoy being hit by the UV rays of Mr. Sun, you’re also bound to experience dry skin – even when you’re just slaving away in the office from 9-5 for 5 days a week.
dry-skin-olay-body-wash-aircon-dryness
AC = Frenemy
In a tropical country such as ours, I’m sure it’ll be a nightmare for some to have to imagine a world without air conditioning. Malls – where some of us (ehem*ME*ehem*) go to to just cool off and bask in free AC – would only have electric fans and spraying mists bursting every now and then. Offices and restaurants, the same. But did you know that just as extreme heat can suck up moisture, so could prolonged exposure to air conditioning? If you do, good… keep on moisturizing!
If you don’t, then read on. It’s just like when you travel abroad and the winter air makes your lips crack and face dry – which is why when travelling to a colder country, the need for heavier moisturizers are necessary. So for those of you who work in an office with air conditioners blasting in full mode the whole day or sleep at night without putting any kind of moisturizer on, please save your skin. It’s extremely important to keep it moisturized and hydrated else dryness will eventually creep up on you. Like it did on me.
olay-body-wash
OLAY BODY WASH MOISTURE OUTLAST*
So for those of us who don’t want to continuously slather on lotion repeatedly throughout the day OR too lazy to spend time at night to put on lotion — the folks of Olay have something new in store. The Olay Body Wash Moisture Outlast promises (big word, right?) to provide 24-hour moisturization. Just apply in the morning and you’re set for the whole day! No need to be afraid of the AC.
The brand is quite confident with their claims and would like all of us to get to try it FOR FREE. Just go to Robinsons Place Manila, Midtown Atrium on March 28swap in any of your non-P&G bar soap and instantly get a full-sized 200ml bottle of Olay Moisture Outlast Body Wash. I’m actually excited to try it myself so come, join me and other women to experience #MoistureThatLasts by Olay. Goodbye, lotions! See you there? To see what exactly will happen during the event, view the details here.

*This post was brought to you by Olay Philippines. I’ve been compensated for this post. Thoughts, experiences and opinions are purely my own.

1. Reanne
    March 20, 2015 / 5:46 pm

May i just ask ms.shari on how do you edit your photos here? yung nasa likod mo text? app po ba ito sa iphone o photoshop? thanks

• March 23, 2015 / 6:37 pm

It’s Photoshop, guys! 🙂 I use a handwritten font called Manhattan Darling or I use a tablet and scribble on it myself 🙂

2. March 20, 2015 / 6:08 pm

My skin has been so dry as well! Every summer my eczema acts up again. Rashes and dry patches appear all over. 🙁 My parents always joke that I wasn’t made for Philippine weather and I should consider moving to Alaska.

• March 23, 2015 / 6:00 pm

`But your skin is good with cold, dry air?! In extreme heat, I get itchy, dry skin (almost like eczema actually) all over my body. In cold weather naman, my lips, hair, face get so dry that I have to constantly put on moisturizer and lip balm. KALERKZ! I dont know which one I prefer :))) Hahaha!

3. March 20, 2015 / 7:28 pm

Hi Shari. I’m so sorry to hear you’ve been struggling with dry skin – welcome to my world. Luckily it’s something I only have to deal with during winter. It doesn’t get that hot in Belgium so we don’t need to avoid AC, lol. I hope you’ll be able to fix your skin soon! 😉 X

• March 23, 2015 / 6:00 pm

I love European weather ( except Winter where I avoid people because I’m so cranky LOL ) — it’s the best!! I wish I could go back and breathe your air again, Alice LOL!!

4. March 20, 2015 / 9:14 pm

It’s summer but I still have cracks and flakes under the oil and sweat, uhuhuhu

• March 23, 2015 / 6:01 pm

I dont like having dry skin. Give me my oily skin back! Haha. Kaka-exfoliate ko yata ito eh.

5. March 20, 2015 / 9:22 pm

I have been battling skin dryness for years and it makes my skin really itchy. I have eczema too so that’s why. Thanks for the review!

• March 23, 2015 / 6:22 pm

I haven’t tried it yet, Alissa. I’ll be doing so when I get my bars of soaps exchanged during the event pa :))

6. March 20, 2015 / 10:08 pm

We’re opposites. My skin turned super dry over the holidays, but its finally starting to normalize now. Sadly, the dry skin is replaced by buckets of sweat. I’m doing the aloe gel routine for when I can’t stand the sweat+lotion icky sensation you mentioned, but then I bring out the lotion-lotion for evenings. Olay body wash looks like a nice way to keep squeaky clean and add some oomph to the moisturizing routine.

• March 23, 2015 / 6:27 pm

I’ve tried aloe-gel too but it doesn’t work for me pag super dry yung skin ko. After beach activities though, it’s the best!! Super soothing 🙂 And believe it or not, I will take buckets of sweat over dry skin, Marielle! 🙂

7. March 21, 2015 / 3:10 am

Omg same – my husband is more of a lotion person than I am. As in he religiously wears lotion every day kaya ang smooth ng skin niya (so jealous btdubs). Ako I only wear lotion when I remember to! I feel so sticky after eh parang feeling ko useless yung ligo ko. =))

• March 23, 2015 / 6:27 pm

My husband religiously applies on his feet every night! Ako pa yung sobrang tamad :)) I dont like the sticky feeling as well lalo na after shower then you’ll step out, halo na yung sweat + lotion! YIIIIKEZ

8. March 22, 2015 / 2:19 pm

Oh yes, I’ve realized over time that oily skin is better than dry skin. I get dry patches on my face sometimes and it’s so hard to put makeup on them; foundation instantly looks cakey. I’m also a lotion person! I use heavier lotion at night before I go to sleep, then I slather VCO all over my body during the day so that my skin doesn’t get sticky under the summer sun. Believe it or not, lotion is stickier than VCO.

• March 23, 2015 / 6:29 pm

VCO isn’t sticky nga. I have a VCO brand I use (plugged it above, no affiliate link there! I just love it) and it dries really fast. I dont like greasiness kasi talaga. But for night time, I’m okay with it. I use a heavier oil for my face and body sometimes if I’m not too lazy :)) And yes to oily skin > dry skin! Cake city kasi pag dry skin eh! At least pag oily, may mattifying primer and powder on top!

9. March 23, 2015 / 5:54 am

“SLAP IN THE FACE, YO.” You know it’s bad when the husband speaks up, lol! I also relate to hating the feel of lotion in warm weather. It feels so gross, especially when it’s humid! Olay body washes are great for people who don’t love the lotion feel! Great pictures and post – as usual, Shari!

• March 23, 2015 / 6:36 pm

Thank you for your thoughts, Kristen!!! Appreciate it :* I can’t wait to try this new variant, I hope it does what it promises! 🙂 have you tried any of the Olay body washes, babe?

• March 23, 2015 / 6:36 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Natasha! And thank you for nominating me. Will check out your post now!

10. March 23, 2015 / 5:53 pm

I love the way shower gels makes my skin feel squeaky clean after a long, sweaty day but the dryness *shudders* Creamy body washes are great and I’d love to try this! XD

11. March 30, 2015 / 10:00 am

I missed thiiiis >.< Whyyyyyyyyy…. For someone who loves (and hoards) body wash, this is like a blow to the heart. That does it, I'll never miss a post again!

12. marianabantug
    April 9, 2015 / 2:44 pm

I am suffering from this summer dryness as well! Huhu. Tip for getting used to lotion on the body — use oils at night because they feel more luxurious and often penetrate deeper. I’m pretty sure you won’t like the slick feeling at first… but convince yourself it’s a spa session and maybe you’ll forget over time? :)) Then when you’re so used to moisturising everyday that it’s a habit na, use lotions. 😀