Benefit Roller Lash

benefit-roller-lash-mascara-review benefit-roller-lash-mascara-2 benefit-roller-lash-mascara-3

Let’s Get the Ball Rollin’

NEW IN: Benefit Roller Lash Mascara
The newest curl in town is none other than the Benefit Roller Lash Mascara* – which by now has rolled out (see what I did there?) on all beauty blogs worldwide. I’ve been road-testing this since receiving a sample tube of it (in its nondescript un-Benefit packaging). I’ll be honest, I was taken aback by its ‘no-need-for-lash-curler‘ claims. Are you kidding me? I have enough issues getting my lashes to stay curled when using a lash curler – that I need to curl them before and after applying mascara. So completely eliminating one of my most love-hate makeup tools and relying on the mascara’s ‘power’ to curl? Bollocks, right? Not quite.
benefit-roller-lash-mascara-wand
THE MAGIC WAND
Patent-Pending Hook Design that Catches, Lifts and Curls
YES. It curls the lashes in such a way that I can not fully explain nor fathom. They say it’s the tiny hooks strategically placed in their patent-pending wand. These strategic hook placements should then be able to grab each lash from root to tip. The Benefit folks say it’s akin to using rollers on your lashes — yes, rollers —those things our mothers used back in the day (although I still use them to date ‘cos I love them for the loose curl effect) curling irons weren’t in yet. I won’t go as far as saying they’re as good as my lashes curled using a curler BEFORE and AFTER mascara application but Roller Lash does a truly sorcerous job of lengthening and curling them upward. HOW IN THE WORLD.
Also, I’m not such a huge fan of plastic brush heads since I find most of them to poke my eyes no matter how carefully (okay maybe not so carefully!) I use them. But Roller Lash’s brush is visibly smaller than most brush heads so I’m happy to report that in the weeks I’ve used this, I’ve never once been poked.. yet. Also, since it’s smaller than most brushes, you can swipe on mascara on your bottom lashes effortlessly. No matter how inexistent they are. Case in point: mine.
Application is key, though. The mascara can easily be over-applied and could feel clumpy – which I think is why a few ladies were met with disappointment using this. I think this mascara isn’t meant to be a volumizing mascara like They’re Real that really gives Broadway level lashes. One full coat of Roller Lash – which means finishing up the product on the brush using several swipes on the lashes – is optimal. At least for me. I find that doing a second coat (dipping your brush in the tube again) causes the clumping and the weighing down. The optimal amount, however, is able to curl my lashes two swipes in and then keeps it curled for a good 6 hours or so. The formula is water-resistant, not waterproof, yet it doesn’t smudge nor smear throughout the day – and isn’t a pain to remove at the end of it all either.
benefit-roller-lash-before-after
Final Thoughts
I am on the way to loving this mascara, if not already. And that’s coming from someone who’s not Team “Bringing Mascara to a Desert Island” or “Mascara is The One Makeup Product I Can’t Live Without”. I absolutely lived without using any of it for a good chunk of my life (current AND pre-beauty blogging days). But seeing how effortless (no lash curler before and after application) and reliable (a.k.a no panda eyes from smudging!!) this new Benefit Roller Lash mascara is, I’m slowly becoming a Just-Need-My-Eyebrows-and-Mascara-On-To-Go-Out girl.
I even shared my sample tube with a friend who’s Team-Mascara-or-Die (and impossibly loyal to just one mascara brand and variant for xx years now!) and even she was impressed by it! Again, for those looking for volumized va-va-voom lashes, this may let you down on that aspect. Roller Lash subtly volumizes, significantly lengthens, separates nicely and instantly curls your lashes (not to mention hold them up for a good duration of the day) without the need for lash curlers. Of course, you can still use them as you please but if you’re lazy (and constantly disappointed because of weighed down lashes) like me, I urge you to give this a try. Benefit counters have samples of these and I think they’re quite generous as long as they have sample stocks – so go see this sorcery for yourself!
Has anyone tried this already? Let me know your thoughts! And if you haven’t, are you keen on trying this?
BENEFIT ROLLER LASH IS AVAILABLE IN ALL LOCAL BENEFIT COUNTERS STARTING TOMORROW, MARCH 5th.
*This is a PR Sample I received for editorial consideration. No compensation was given for this post nor was I required to write it.

1. March 4, 2015 / 7:51 am

Hey Shari, I’m glad to hear you find this impressive! There aren’t many mascaras that can curl my lashes on their own, although I have found a couple (still, if I want to wear a mascara, the grand majority of the time I use a curler beforehand). Thanks for sharing the application tip as well. You are not the first reviewer to point out that if you go overboard, this could clump. I wouldn’t mind trying a sample if I can find one, but for the moment I have several mascaras sitting around, so I can’t just run out and buy this 😉

• March 9, 2015 / 10:48 pm

TBH I thought this sounded too good to be true! The first time, I applied 2 coats. With just one coat, I was amazed that it was able to curl my lashes upwards. But then I did a second coat (cos I always do two coats!) and after drying, my lashes drooped back down. I just used one coat from then on! You really should get a sample if you could, Sunny – to see if it’ll work for you! 🙂

• March 10, 2015 / 9:52 am

Aww sad to hear it didnt work out for you babe 🙁

2. Lily
    March 4, 2015 / 10:02 am

If I didn’t have 5 unopened mascaras sitting in my drawer, I’d try this. The small brush might do well on my lashes 🙂 My lashes need a good curling, so it would be interesting to see if this actually works on mine!

• March 10, 2015 / 10:36 am

A small sample tube will be best! I didnt really care for mascaras then because no matter which one I used, my lashes drooped back down anyway. Ive had a few discoveries the past few months though and Ive been finding it indispensable recently :O What are your favorite mascaras though Lily?

• Lily
        March 10, 2015 / 10:44 am

I like the Diorshow new look mascara, and Estee Lauder ones. Lancome hypnose doll is pretty good and the Clinique one with that slim brush. Power lash something. I realised i need smaller brushes and semi wet/dry formula.

3. March 4, 2015 / 11:33 am

It does make a BIG difference, Shari! I don’t have problems with my lashes, they’re long already, that’s why I just curl them up. Also, I am lazy and I don’t want to deal with hard-to-remove mascaras but you mentioned that this is just water resistant so I will see if this will win me over once I get to see in person. Thanks for the review! xo

• March 10, 2015 / 10:37 am

Ugh, thats what I dont like with waterproof mascara, they’re so hard to remove at the end of the day!! I love the water-resistant aspect of this – doesnt smudge but easy to remove!

4. March 4, 2015 / 3:15 pm

Maybe it would get better in time as it dries up. Some mascaras are like that. They’re wet at the beginning so they’re really prone to clumping, but after some time they perform better. Based on your photo, this one looks wet.

• March 10, 2015 / 10:39 am

I actually like it already now – it’s wet but not too wet unlike most mascaras. In the photo I think I put on too much (as I said in the review, its easy to overapply 🙂 But yes, I hope in time it gets drier so I can maybe try doing two coats and see if it performs better then. Thanks Aviva!

5. March 4, 2015 / 4:51 pm

This really does sound too good to be true! My lashes are TERRIBLE, even if I curl them immensely they always tend to droop a bit. I definitely want to give this a go!

Tasha // shiwashiful.

• March 10, 2015 / 10:39 am

A sample tube is the way to go! 🙂 Benefit’s quite generous with samples, I think!

6. March 4, 2015 / 5:16 pm

Like many other Filipinas, my lashes are amazingly stubborn, even though the length is perfect. I cannot wait to try this and I hope I am on my way to finding my holy grail mascara!

Just like you, mascara has never been an essential part in my beauty routine, either. I always get amazed when other girls say they can’t live without it. I can live without it just fine, haha!

• March 10, 2015 / 11:04 am

I’ve a few good ones I’ve tried recently: this one, Eye of Horus Goddess Mascara, Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill, Lancome Hypnose Star (always been my favorite). Im recently loving mascara though, I’m slowly finding it indispensable now. But still can live without it! Unlike CONCEALER!!! Haha

7. March 4, 2015 / 5:29 pm

Ooooh aaaah. Sometimes I have good mascara days sometimes they refuse to cooperate. My lashes are quite curly already and not too short. Really intrigued by the wand. I really want to see this hooks. Will definitely purchase this when I pass by a Benefit counter.

• March 10, 2015 / 11:06 am

You should try it first Ray! See if it works for you 🙂 Im inggit that you have naturally curled lashes na. My nephew (!!!) has enviable lashes since he was a baby, he’s 17 now but I still find myself staring at his thick, curled lashes when we have a reunion:))

• March 10, 2015 / 11:06 am

You should get your hands on a sample tube!

8. March 4, 2015 / 10:24 pm

I really want to try this mascara. The idea itself fascinates me. I only use waterproof mascaras, I wonder if I’d have an issue with this one smudging on me.

• March 10, 2015 / 11:08 am

Hmmm, agata, I think you’d feel a bit iffy with this as its only water-resistant and quite wet compared to waterproof mascaras which I think are drier 🙂 Try it out first (sample tube!) and see how you like it before buying 🙂

9. March 5, 2015 / 12:37 am

Hope to try this in the future. I love Benefit products, and the They’re Real is one of my faves. I’ve yet to open a lot of mascaras! Naipon na. Hehe.

• March 10, 2015 / 11:08 am

If you liked They’re Real, baka you’ll like this more!! Although it doesnt volumize as much ah 🙂

10. March 5, 2015 / 3:58 am

yea i haven’t been impressed with benefit’s mascaras in the past bt this one has realy piqued my interest esp since it seems to be working on asian lashes.

• March 10, 2015 / 11:09 am

It has been working on Asian lashes, yes! The ones not impressed by this MOSTLY (not all) are those who already have long, thick curled lashes and find the mascara want too little.

• March 10, 2015 / 8:29 pm

seems like there’s two camps. those who start out with short lashes and those who start out with long. sounds like they differ in their needs.

11. March 5, 2015 / 10:51 am

Ugh yes, I love hot rollers + rollers fro my hair too–just really love the soft + large curls they produce! As for this mascara, it looks promising! I really wasn’t a fan of They’re Real due to the brush, as the bristles were just so sharp and felt so uncomfortable when they hit my eyelid. BUT I DID GIVE IT A TRY AGAIN RECENTLY, AND I THINK I’VE STOPPED HATING ON THE MASCARA BECAUSE WHOAH THERE, LASHES.

• March 10, 2015 / 11:10 am

WHOAH THERE LASHES is right! I never found mascara indispensable because I never really got to try a good one that volumizes, lengthens AND most imptly, keeps the curls! They’re Real was a sad experience because I literally cry everytime I use it from poking myself with the wand :((

12. silverkis
    March 5, 2015 / 11:00 am

Hi Shari, i’ve never been a big fan of Benefit’s mascara cos it’s so mighty huge and pokes me so painful! But i’m all for trying new technology, and this SMBD wand with hooks sounds kooky enough for me to try! And if it’ll make my stick-out-straight lashes curl…. that’d be a miracle!

• March 10, 2015 / 11:11 am

I KNOW! I feel ya, Linds! I cry every time I poked myself with the wand. I end up having a red eye after! this one has never poked me yet :)) The wand is significantly smaller and it does a good job curling and holding the curl 🙂

13. March 6, 2015 / 12:49 am

Glad this was a pleasant surprise for you! Looks lovely on your lashes 🙂

• March 10, 2015 / 11:11 am

Thanks Jennifah!!

14. March 6, 2015 / 9:32 pm

Im probably late to the party here but loving the new look and feel of the blog Shari – bravo!:)) Im the same way about mascaras..definitely not a staple for me but I do like trying a good one out and switching things up every now and then. Having said that – I didnt like theyre real on me..probably because I only like lenghtening mascaras :s I do like the sound of this one though. Thanks for the review!!

• March 10, 2015 / 11:18 am

THANK YOU DEE MY LOVE! Never too late for me 😉 I appreciate the feedback!
      Also, I’m with you on not liking Theyre Real so much. Im not after volume, either 🙂
      This one is a better option, though!!! Hope you get to try it!

15. GummyVision
    March 6, 2015 / 9:44 pm

Pretty much every review I’ve read says this is so good for stubborn Asian lashes…I think I really need to try this…for science!!! And without a lash curler – that’s amazing!!!

• March 10, 2015 / 11:22 am

GUMMY! Grab hold of a sample tube if you can 🙂 See if it’ll work for you 🙂 I’m amazed with this though, it really curls! But you can’t pile it on like most mascaras, it seems to work best with one layer!

16. March 6, 2015 / 10:13 pm

Need to try it !
    Actually by using my Dior lash Maximizer w/ either the it lash mascara, or the benefit’s there are real, or the Guerlain’s waterproof maxi lash, they all hold my curls without the lash curler ! I don’t use lash curler for a while now. 🙂
    Xoxo
    Michelle

• March 10, 2015 / 11:23 am

The Dior mascaras have been a constant mention here for being a lash-curling wonder! I definitely need to try them again. 🙂 Thanks for the recos, Michelle!

17. March 8, 2015 / 11:12 pm

Haven’t gotten the chance to try this yet but there seems to be a lot of mixed reviews about this product but nonetheless, great post 🙂

xx

• March 10, 2015 / 11:24 am

I think the mixed reviews is due to the application. Most just pile this on like their usual mascara – layers after another. But this one has an optimal amount and putting too much will make it droop down. 🙂 I think it’s unfair to deem it as a fail without first learning how to apply it properly 🙂

18. March 15, 2015 / 9:04 pm

I’ve been using this in the past week but I’ve been enjoying my Maybelline Lash Sensational more. I don’t know, even with one light coat (I usually use on single coat no matter what mascara I’m using) my lashes tend to feel hard and heavy at times… It’s why I never got on well with Benefit Mascaras, and They’re Real was the worst. I like this one, but I don’t love it.
    Gyudy’s Notes Of Beauty

19. March 17, 2015 / 11:46 am

UM WOWZAS!!! That photo is 1 COAT on NON-CURLED lashes?!?!?!? Holy schnikies, I need to try this stuff! I normally hate rubber/plastic brushes like you mentioned, but I am very impressed with the results!

20. March 24, 2015 / 1:29 am

This looks really good. I’ve been dying to try the they’re real one too but I haven’t yet! Ugh, I used to love comb type of mascaras but I haven’t found one that I like much in recent years! Totally need to find a way to try this or the other one!

21. May 15, 2015 / 11:12 pm

For some reason I like how it clumps when over applied and it still doesn’t feel heavy. But I usually apply just one coat for a my-lashes-but-better effect. I might just be liking this because I’m lazy. Haha