MAC Constructivist

mac-paint-pots mac-paint-pot-constructivist

Construct the Beast

MAC Paint Pot in constructivist
One of my favorite MAC products ever invented (besides their lipstick, which has a love-hate relationship with my lips) is the Paint Pot. I’ve Soft Ochre and Painterly and they’re the most abused pots in my vanity mainly because I use them as bases for all eyeshadows I wear. They cancel out purply (or whatever shade my eyelids turn out for the day) tones and create a clean canvas for eyeshadow application.
These Paint Pots are incredibly creamy and emollient, but not to the point that they feel overly greasy. They are so, so pigmented. Period. After patting them on, they dry down and last ALL day. And I mean… all day without creasing or fading! They probably fade at the 10th hour or so but minimally. I’ve washed the dishes and gave Selene a bath and the swatch on my arm just wouldn’t come off. My method of application? Only my fingers (germaphobes, don’t judge me!) because I find them easy to blend out.
mac-paint-pots-swatches mac-paint-pot-constructivist-swatchesmac-paint-pot-constructivist-fotd
Constructivist is a beautiful dark, metallic brown. I feel uncomfortable saying metallic because as it dries down, it becomes less so – but still with a bit of sheen. On my eyes, it looks quite satin. Sadly, my arm swatches make it look cool-toned but it’s really on the warm side. I absolutely love wearing it alone that I find myself making this my ‘go-to lazy eye‘ look. I also find it very versatile – it can be used as a light wash or can be built up to three layers for a sexy, not-so-over-the-top smokey eye. It’s also quite easy to mix with other shades of the same or different tones which makes it almost a ‘must-have’. While I find most browns to look muddy against my skintone, Constructivist is quite the opposite.
paint-pot-constructivist
Final Thoughts
The only things to watch out for about these Paint Pots: they come in glass jars that shout ‘don’t bring me everywhere, girlfriend else Imma chip or break from your clumsiness’. Also, because they are in a glass jar packaging, they aren’t very hygienic. To add, these may not work as well with those who have extremely dry or wrinkly lids. But I do love these Paint Pots a lot – I’m even eyeing Groundwork, Bare Study and Indianwood to add to my collection.
Have you tried any MAC Paint Pots? How did they work for you?

1. February 13, 2015 / 8:51 am

Sooo if you can believe this, I still haven’t tried a MAC Paint Pot LOL I am always tempted but still haven’t taken the plunge for some reason! Love how Contructivist looks on you! It’s one of the most popular shades for a good reason 🙂

2. Lily
    February 13, 2015 / 11:01 am

Constructivist is my favourite paint pot. I sold all my other paint pots, and kept just this one. Too bad it dried out on me. If not for the cream product ban, I would repurchase this without a thought 🙂

3. February 13, 2015 / 11:07 am

Heck this is pretty on you!! 🙂 You need Indianwood Shari! It’s beautiful especially skintone like yours can rock it! 🙂

4. February 13, 2015 / 2:43 pm

Have never tried the paint pots myself, but gee whiz, I’ve heard so much about them over the years! This shade looks amazing though, such an easy swipe and go smokey shade!

Tasha // shiwashiful.

5. February 13, 2015 / 4:53 pm

I have one, Painterly, and I love it to bits! Have to agree with the not-so-hygenic part though. Some Paint Pots I’d like to try are Soft Ochre and Artifact. Constructivist looks good on you, Shari! 🙂 Also, what do you think about Rubenesque?

6. February 13, 2015 / 5:52 pm

I use Painterly as a base every time I bother with eye makeup but I still prime underneath just in case. 😉 My eyelids are super oily so I gots to make sure. Constructivist looks like a great ‘I can’t be bothered to put an effort into my eye makeup’ color. Maybe even add some to the lower lash line for some smokey-ness! It’s a great shade for your skin tone. 🙂

7. expatmuaddict
    February 13, 2015 / 10:54 pm

Just catching up on your blog Shari! I had Bare Study and it lasted for-ever…. even with daily use as a base. Bare Study has a bit of shimmer to it, I think I would prefer a matter one as an eye base

Stacey | Expat Make-Up Addict

8. February 14, 2015 / 12:03 am

It doesn’t look muddy nga! That’s my current issue with deep browns. I find it hard to use them and my tiny, uneven lid space doesn’t afford me a lot of options. Teach me master!

I have Bare Study but I prefer my (matte) Soft Ochre. The shimmer on Bare Study pops up against matte shadows but I guess if you want that kind of transformation, go for it.

9. February 14, 2015 / 12:49 am

This one’s a nice shade on its own. I have the Soft Ochre and Rubenesque and I really like them! They do not crease on my oily lids too.

10. Coco
    February 14, 2015 / 4:49 am

I love the Paint Pots x

11. February 14, 2015 / 6:54 am

Ooh, what a gorgeous neutral! Glam, but so wearable. Looks perfect on you 🙂

12. February 15, 2015 / 4:25 pm

It looks great! I have Eclair and I love it, even though for some reason don’t seem to wear cream eyeshadows much… I’m either powder eyeshadow or eye pencil only! 😉 xx
    Gyudy’s Notes Of Beauty

13. February 15, 2015 / 10:47 pm

How pretty is this Shari!! Love how wonderful it looks on you.

14. February 16, 2015 / 12:23 am

i have soft ochre and REALLY like using it as primer. have been thinking of rubanesque and now i want this one too. havne’t explored their paint pots that much but i can totally see why they’ve been around for as long as they have.

15. February 18, 2015 / 12:40 pm

GET GROUNDWORK ASAP!!! I could wear that every day of my life. It’s SUPER subtle, so it’s great for literally anything! You would totally abuse the hell out of Groundwork, I just know it. 😀 Constructivist is a recent favorite for me as well! Such a stunner and SO EASY. I LOVE it on you! The look you did makes me want to use it tomorrow!

16. March 2, 2015 / 5:28 pm

favorite mac product ever! i dont think you’ll go wrong with any shade!