Get Crafty With Me

dmc-handcrafted-event5 Just got back from an out-of-town trip and Wi-Fi was scarce on the beautiful island! Even brought my laptop with me but I guess I was meant to take a break and not think of blogging because my last resort a.k.a personal hotspot wasn’t working either. I’ve been meaning to blog about this event I attended two weeks back (not beauty-related, SHOCKER!) – it was all about Arts and Crafts. To give you a little perspective on my Art skillz~ — I was the girl in elementary who almost got an F in Art. dmc-handcrafted-event2dmc-handcrafted-event4dmc-handcrafted-event6
Look closer. Yes, those aren’t real flowers! They’re handmade bouquets crafted by Marielle Nadal-Reyes which are used for events such as weddings. Real weddings.
dmc-handcrafted-event
[one_half]Karla used to be a teacher. She is now a copy writer for Life At Caresharing. She also owns Damgo, which in Bisaya means dream, an online store where she sells her dreamcatchers. She’s a mother to 2 adorable kids – Isla and Kanta.[/one_half][one_half_last]Trey is an entrepreneur. She sells her own line of crochet yarn and craft supplies called Gantsilyo Guru. She’s also a full time crafter. She takes her tools of trade (her handy case of crochet hooks and yarns), everywhere she goes.  She usually writes about her travels, discoveries and crafting.[/one_half_last]
dmc-handcrafted-event8
Marielle is the founder of CraftMNL, a studio in Makati where crafters meet and do workshops together. They also organize small craft fairs for others to sell the own handcrafted items.  Marielle also owns Yellow Bug Love, an online store where she sells hand crafted wedding decors.
dmc-handcrafted-event7
[one_half]Len owns the fashion line called Filip+Inna, where her clothes are designed with traditional Filipino patterns from indigenous tribes which are cross stitched onto the clothes. Her brand gained global recognition as featured in Elle magazine and worn by Tory Burch and Amanda Hearts.[/one_half] [one_half_last]Candy is a production designer who enjoys knitting. She is the creative mind behind Knitting Expedition which aims to make knitted products by locals of Mt. Pulag. She also works with Ricefield Collective which is a group of women farmers from Uhaj, Banaue.[/one_half_last]
dmc-handcrafted-event3dmc-handcrafted-event-fair
L-R: Me, Tracy, Camie, Tippy, Helga

Handcrafted

The Arts and Crafts Fair
During this launch, I was reminded of our take-home cross-stitch and crochet projects back in Grade School where I’d have sleepless lights doing 1/8 of the project. Only to enlist the help of my classmate’s grandmother (who loved to do crochet anyway) at the end of it all. I don’t know if it were my lack of artistic skills or patience (probably both) but I sincerely felt that I can not do any kind of art-related hobby to save my life.
Handcrafted is a fair both for those who want to start crafting and those who are already into crafting. To name a few crafts present in the event — embroidery, knotting, dreamcatchermaking, string art, knitting, crochet and cross-stitch. During the afternoon launch, 7 inspiring women crafters shared how they dared their minds to create and pushed their hobbies further into greater heights. You can meet these 7 empowering women during the event, get to talk to them and ask them countless questions! There are also free classes/workshops to be held during this two-day fair.
Out of the few crafts mentioned, I think I’m veering towards embroidery most. I feel like it’s the most impatient-friendly craft for me at the moment – I’m thinking I can use it to re-style and reinvent my old clothes. Are there any artsy crafty ones in here? Do share your hobby au choix!
See you at the event?
16184514128_339c5b0e76_b
*This post is brought to you by DMC Philippines.

1. January 30, 2015 / 2:23 am

I like how you included links to the speakers. Very helpful! Sipag! 😀

• February 4, 2015 / 5:43 pm

Thanks for appreciating, Michelle! Hope you enjoyed discovering more about these creative ladies! 🙂

2. January 30, 2015 / 3:46 am

Sounds fun! I don’t consider myself to be very crafty, but I am creative, so who knows, maybe I’d enjoy a workshop like this.

• February 4, 2015 / 5:44 pm

I feel like a crafty hobby would help me be more creative in the blogging aspect 🙂 Who knows! I’m not either but hopefully this year I get in to something 🙂

3. January 30, 2015 / 8:04 am

I can only knit but I’d love to learn to crochet or embroidery 😀 I’m going to look into events like this in my area xD

• February 4, 2015 / 5:45 pm

You can knit?! Babe show me some stuff you’ve done! 🙂 I’m curious!!!

• February 5, 2015 / 3:06 am

Ahh I usually give them away so I don’t have pictured x.x I’ll see if I have some from my early days. I’m working on something right now so I’ll take a picture of that xD

4. January 30, 2015 / 10:01 pm

Pretty! Karla used to be a colleague of mine at work… so it was a pleasant surprise to see her in this entry. She’s so bohemian and artistic, love!

• February 4, 2015 / 5:58 pm

Small world! I love her carefree spirit – it emanates in her thoughts and actions! Hearing her speak that day was very refreshing 🙂

5. January 30, 2015 / 11:07 pm

Looks like an amazing event! Crafting can be such a fun and rewarding hobby- loving those necklaces and the fabric floral arrangements 🙂

• February 4, 2015 / 6:00 pm

The fabric floral arrangements are so refreshing, right? 🙂 I would’ve loved to incorporate it in my wedding if I had known about it earlier 🙂

• February 4, 2015 / 6:00 pm

True, Annabel 🙂

6. January 31, 2015 / 1:39 pm

I got an F in Art once in 5th grade.. HAHAHA. I didn’t like our projects and our teacher was mean and hormonal (she was pregnant at the time). Now, I’m quite the artsy person. Makeup is a form of art, right? But other than that I’m active in my school’s production projects. I’m even in our Student Council Production Crew. 🙂 My current obsessions though, are typography and knitting. 😀

• February 4, 2015 / 6:02 pm

I think we’re soul sisters talaga Ray! I got an F in two ART projects and almost got an F in Art but talked to my teacher about it so she raised it to a D:)) That was 7th grade naman. Those japanese paper mosaic patterns on cutout illustration boards – ugh! STRUGGLE. But I’m glad you’ve become a more artsy person! Proud of you for being part of the SC Prod Crew wooot!!! 🙂 Typography is the most artsy I can get- knitting talaga, I have no patience for! But who knows, you might find me posting about it here in the future LOL :))

7. February 4, 2015 / 11:27 pm

Love your blog! Am bookmarking to come back to you on Sunday when I have more time! Love this post!