Cleansing Wipes Trick

nivea-cleansing-wipes-9 I am a staunch makeup remover advocate – I firmly believe you can’t completely wash off a full face with just soap and water (save for specialty deep-cleansing facial washes). I’d even hesitate to wear makeup on if I know I’ve run out of any kind of remover. I think this way now because I’ve battled with acne when I used to wear light ( by light I mean no liquid foundation just concealer, powder, blush, mascara) makeup not knowing my facial wash wasn’t deep cleansing enough to remove it all. And while I do love makeup wipes for those lazy, just-wanna-plop-on-the-bed-and-doze-off nights, I wonder if it’s enough to take off a full face? nivea-cleansing-wipes2nivea-cleansing-wipes-11

Take it Off

Nivea Cleansing Wipes Way
I’ve tried quite a few makeup wipes mostly from the drugstore aisles and mid-range brands ranging from PHP 50 – PHP 450. While it may seem that they perform all the same anyway, I beg to differ. Not all makeup remover wipes remove makeup well. There are those that dry up quickly as well as those that will take huffing, puffing and rubbing a few times before getting that non-waterproof eyeliner out. Not to mention those that sting the eyes leaving them half (or completely) closed while you aggressively splash it with water. Sound familiar?
I’m sure there are a few good ones out there which I’ve been recommended with by you guys as well — but let me share with you my experience using these NIVEA ones which I’ve come to like even before I was sent a fresh batch of supply and was tasked to do these posts (referring you to my last empties entry).
nivea-cleansing-wipes-12
Daily Essentials & Pure Effect
I love using the Pure Effect exfoliating wipes as they take off flakiness and tackle dullness leaving me with smooth, instantly brighter skin after. The Gentle Cleansing wipes, I carry a pack of in my bag everywhere I go for removing smudged eyeliner, etc.
The wipes come in two kinds – the Gentle Facial Cleansing one for those with dry and sensitive skin. While my favorite one is the Pure Effect 3-in-1 Daily Deep Cleansing Gentle Exfoliating (phew! love how descriptive this is that I dont even feel the need to explain further haha) one. The latter has two sides – a pebble-textured side for exfoliating and a smooth side for deep cleansing.
It’s also infused with magnolia extract – used in traditional Chinese medicine – and is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial in nature. Magnolia contains high amounts of magnolol and honokiol —two substances, which effectively fight breakout causing bacteria. How to use this: take the smooth side first to remove makeup and then take the textured side for further cleansing as well as exfoliating.
While the textured side isn’t as rough or harsh as beady scrubs usually are, still rub with care. Don’t apply too much pressure because those with sensitive skin/rosacea may experience redness. But then again, that’s what the Daily Essential Gentle Wipes are for.
sep
The Ultimate Test
nivea-cleansing-wipes-5nivea-cleansing-wipes-6nivea-cleansing-wipes-7

Success, yes?

deep cleansing exfoliating wipes
My makeup consisted of sunblock, Lancome Teint Miracle foundation, Ellana Minerals mineral powder, NARS concealer and contour, eyeshadow, waterproof eyeliner by Heroine Make, waterproof mascara and eyebrow pen by K-Palette, and waterproof brow mascara by MAC. I even wore red lipstick to really feel the ‘full face’ on.
I used the pebbled texture side to remove my makeup because I was feeling experimental like that – so I believe you can use either sides, they remove makeup equally well. I’m impressed the waterproof eyeliner was easily taken off, it didn’t smudge out nor had to be rubbed repeatedly to be completely removed. Maybe it’s in the formula of the mascara as well – which I appreciate.
The trickier part was removing the K-Palette 1-Day Magic mascara & brow pen – these two really push waterproof to the next level. I had to take the back side of the wipe and sandwich my lashes in between the wipe to remove the mascara completely. I also had to run the wipe a few times over my brows because the brow pen didn’t seem to want to give up anytime soon.
nivea-cleansing-wipes-8B
But overall, I’ve to say I’m impressed at how these Nivea Cleansing Wipes removed makeup extremely well especially the waterproof ones. On the photos above, I didn’t do any double cleansing after just to show you how it removes makeup on its own. I think the photos speak for themselves, noh?
I was even able to test (unintentionally btw) if using only wipes would clog up the skin because of residual makeup. When we when out of town last month, I only had this as makeup remover for 3 nights straight (no facial wash because my memory got the best of me during the packing) and guess what? My skin didn’t act out.. at all. No build-up, no breakouts in the days that followed. (Do note: we all have different skin types so what may work for me may not work for you)
So the takeaway? Yes, there are makeup wipes that can completely remove makeup! Some like the Nivea Pure Effect Exfoliating Wipes even exfoliate your skin and nourish it while doing so! *wink wink*
sep
I would love to hear your makeup wipes experiences! Do you use them? What do you think of using wipes as a full-face makeup remover? Share them below and I’ll pick a commenter or two to receive a pack of these Nivea wipes to try out for themselves.
nivea-cleansing-wipes-13
This is how I really look like when I use wipes. I’m not quite as poised as I seem above. :))

This is a sponsored post.

1. Marjorie Gavan
    January 14, 2015 / 10:09 am

As I mentioned before in your other post, I don’t use facial wipes, I just wash off my makeup with soap and water. But there were indeed a few times before that I was able to try wipes, especially when I travel in remote areas and there are no immediate supply of water to wash my face with. That’s when I use wipes, mind you those are baby wipes hahaha… But I find them effective actually. They work not only as makeup remover but also to wipe off sweat and grimes that you get from being outdoor for longer periods.

Given a chance I would love to try those Nivea wipes, maybe they do make a ton of difference. Also, I am curious about the rough part. I’ve never seen wipes with pebble textures before.

• January 20, 2015 / 2:47 pm

Hi Marj! Because of your comment, I will send you a pack of Nivea wipes to try 😉 Email me at [email protected] your shipping details 🙂

• Marjorie Gavan
        January 20, 2015 / 8:32 pm

Wow! Thanks Shari! 🙂

2. January 14, 2015 / 11:46 am

Ha! Shari I love the last photograph! I’ve been dying to try these Nivea beauties! They seem to really deep clean and I love the larger size of the wipe. That is very telling that they didn’t break you out after 3 days of using only the wipes! I am very impressed by that! Thanks for the awesome post, and I hope to pick up a pack of these the next time I see them!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:23 pm

I just washed off with water afterwards and I had no breakouts! I was impressed. Although I was scared shitless at first when I found out I forgot to bring my cleanser, I even wanted to have it sent via airmail. LOL. Should you get to try these, I’ll be waiting for your thoughts!

3. January 14, 2015 / 12:20 pm

I loooove these! I used to love a TCFS one but then I ran out. I was in dire need of wipes because I wasn’t able to repurchase the Body Shop’s Camomile Cleansing Oil. Finaly grabbed a pack of the dail essential one when I saw it. It was the last one! I thought it was too dry at first but it was just right. It removes makeup so effortlessly. No need to drag and tug. I feel like one wipe can actually remove my makeup twice! I just started using the Exfoliating ones and I’ve fallen in love with them as well! #hoardingalert I NEED TO BUY MOAR!!!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:46 pm

AHHHHH! Rayray!! So glad you love these!!! 🙂 You know, I passed by a TCFS store in SM North and wanted to check out the wipes you were talking about but forgot what it was called so I hesitated because I might come in for those pack of wipes but end up with a shit ton of other TCFS products I didn’t plan on buying! HAHA. I’m glad you like the Daily Essentials one, you should try the Exfoliating ones rin – I especially like the textured side talaga. I feel like my face is so smooth after!

4. Melanie Brigoli
    January 14, 2015 / 2:26 pm

This product is simply amazing… does the job well and affordable!!! I’m a confirmed fan of these wipes… I love using wipes most of the time because it’s handy to bring and convenient to use…

• January 21, 2015 / 3:24 pm

I’m glad you like these too Melanie!! It’s one of the best wipes I’ve tried talaga.

5. January 14, 2015 / 3:26 pm

Can’t wait to try this! Thanks for sharing, Shari! Last photo is so cute! hrhrhrrr

• January 21, 2015 / 3:24 pm

Hehehe thanks Laarni! 🙂 Hope you get to try them! Will wait for your thoughts:)

6. January 14, 2015 / 4:12 pm

We have the same belief Ms. Shari that you can’t get rid of full make up if you just completely wash off your face with just soap and water and so I tend to still use remover that damp off in cotton to remove the remaining ones but I sometimes hate the quite oily content of some removers I’ve tried. Years ago, I’ve also read in a beauty article saying that avoid using baby wet wipes to remove make up as it contains some alcoholic content that may damage the skin into your face but hey I find wet wipes more convenient and effective to use. Good thing Nivea comes with these products that not just act as a make up remover but also exfoliates and nourish the skin. I would love to try this soon! The pictures that you have shared gives justice to the review you’ve made 🙂

• January 20, 2015 / 2:48 pm

Hi Ally! Thanks for your feedback!! I will send you a pack of this. Email me at [email protected] your shipping details 🙂

7. January 14, 2015 / 4:12 pm

Love the photos! I usually just double cleanse using my facial wash from Paula’s Choice (Hydralight One Step), but when I’m not feeling lazy I use cleansing waters like Bifesta (Bright Up/Age Care). I’ve only ever tried J&J’s baby wipes before when I went out of the country and it was just meh – probably too gentle since it’s meant for babies. :)) I’ve been seeing a few reviews of these Nivea wipes and people seem to really like them. I’d definitely give the exfoliating wipes a shot!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:27 pm

You know what, I used my daughter’s baby wipes for taking off makeup before when I forget to bring makeup remover during travel. It does the job naman but it leaves residue talaga and I have to double cleanse pa. This one surprisingly removes makeup well 🙂 When I have the luxury of time to remove makeup though, which I have naman most of the time, I really double cleanse. Micellar water + facial cleanser. 🙂

8. Lily
    January 14, 2015 / 5:42 pm

I haven’t tried Nivea wipes before. I usually just buy cheaper ones, mainly to remove swatches from my arm 🙂 When I travel however, I always buy a packet of Biore makeup remover because that removes all traces of makeup including waterproof mascara, without pulling or tugging. I haven’t tried anything else that’s better than that. Have you tried it?

• January 21, 2015 / 3:28 pm

Ahh the Biore Makeup remover, I haven’t tried the wipes but I am a fan of the Eye & Lip makeup remover. Reminds me of Lancome Bifacil at 1/3 the price! Really loved those that I hoarded when I was in Bangkok (we don’t have them here).

9. January 15, 2015 / 10:12 am

I haven’t tried these ones. My personal preference is even I use the wipes, I rinse my face at the end. I do not believe wet wipes take off everything. They are more like an emergency cleanser for me 🙂

• January 21, 2015 / 3:30 pm

Hi Doc!! I still washed my face with water afterwards (during this experiment) but no cleanser! 🙂 I won’t be doing this every night – it has just put me at east knowing that when I’m in a hurry or super tired at the end of the day, I can use these wipes, rinse with water and doze off. For regular nights though, I still use makeup remover (micellar water) + use my facial cleanser afterwards 🙂

10. January 16, 2015 / 5:07 am

Great to hear that they work! I have to admit though that I never really used any cleansing wipes or makeup removers. I’m one of those chicks who use petroleum jelly or moisturizer paired with a tissue to remove my makeup and it works great.

But I guess for my travels, since those two things are bulky, I can make do with these wipes! 🙂 Thanks for the detailed review!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:34 pm

I’ve never tried petroleum jelly to remove makeup but that sounds practical since most of the cleansing oils have mineral oil as their main ingredient, like Shu Uemura for example. Will have to experiment on this one, too! Thanks for the tip, Aileen!

11. January 17, 2015 / 2:38 am

I don’t know if mine were dry but these did not work on my mascaras. I did like the exfoliating nubs!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:35 pm

This worked on the K-Palette 1-Day Magic mascara and that’s waterproof diba? 🙂 I like the exfoliating side too, tanggal flakies! 🙂

12. January 17, 2015 / 6:20 pm

I’m a Bifesta girl. It’s the only makeup remover I have tried that I keep coming back to no matter what, even with waterproof makeup. I just use a q-tip to remove any stubborn eyeliner. The only reason I haven’t tried these Nivea ones is because I haven’t seen one. But believe me, I’m on the lookout. 🙂

• January 21, 2015 / 3:36 pm

I thought I was a Bifesta girl until I tried Bioderma which I find a bit ‘tougher’ in removing makeup. Bifesta kasi I used to use 4-5 cotton pads to remove every bit of makeup but with Bioderma, 2-3 is enough! 🙂 If you get to try this, let me know your thoughts 🙂

13. January 17, 2015 / 8:32 pm

i use wipes on days when i have to go to the gym right after work. don’t want to do the whole double cleanse thing so wipes are easy. i don’t have any real preference and buy mostly on price but there are a few that haven’t really cut it. these sounds like good ones to try though so i’ll keep an eye out for when next they’re on sale!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:38 pm

I’m not very particular with wipes either, tbh! I have tried a few just because to me, they’re all the same :)) But I always have one handy when I’m too lazy to do the whole double cleanse thing as well!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:38 pm

Same here! I just felt crazy and wanted to experiment if using JUST wipes would be enough. :))

14. January 19, 2015 / 1:58 pm

The last shot is so funny. Don’t we all look like that when removing makeup in real life? (With matching “kiskis” of the wipe against the face while frowning.) :)) I’m so surprised that it gets waterproof makeup. The last makeup remover wipes I tried, Celeteque, did not fare as well.

• _royalsunshine_
      January 20, 2015 / 3:11 pm

Tried Celeteque too, I didn’t like it. It irritated my skin. 🙁

• January 20, 2015 / 5:36 pm

Come to think of it, the formula seems strong on Celeteque. Didn’t irritate my skin, but it felt somewhat astringent-like. Not the gentlest makeup remover.

• January 21, 2015 / 3:40 pm

Hahaha true!! Although with these, be careful with the ‘kiskis’ when you use the exfoliating side :)) I haven’t tried Celeteque’s and will probably skip it basing from your and @royalsunshine:disqus’s thoughts on it 🙂 Thanks for sharing Marielle!

15. _royalsunshine_
    January 20, 2015 / 3:14 pm

It makes me want to try Nivea wipes na tuloy! I admit, I use wipes too but I make sure to use facial cleanser and water after. I’ve never tried na hindi maghugas ng mukha. HAHA. Takot ko lang. XD HAHA. But this looks effective! Galing! And I think it’s not too expensive, 140 for 20/25 wipes? Not bad! The one I am currently using is Yes to Cucumber wipes. I love it too.

• January 21, 2015 / 3:43 pm

I’m the same!!! I just tried the no cleanser experiment for this :)) Okay naman, THANK GOD! Or else breakout season nanaman ako ngayon! I did rinse with water afterwards, though, I forgot to mention above. Just no cleanser talaga 🙂 But on regular days, wipes or micellar water man – I double cleanse after 🙂 I’m not sure if 140 is expensive or not for wipes as I know there are PHP50 packs of wipes, pero these are really good esp because of the exfoliating part. Not too harsh and really effective in cleansing build-up. I even find my face smooth afterwards (when using the exfoliating side!) 🙂