Mood Light

hourglass-mood-light

Mood Light

‘mimcs the softest, most forgiving light’
The Ambient Lighting Powders are finishing powders that capture, diffuse and soften the way light is reflected on your skin. They brighten the appearance, conceal imperfections, pores and wrinkles so the skin looks younger, radiant and more even toned.
I’ve been using (and loving) this powder for quite some time now but because my clumsy self effortlessly managed to smash it, I’ve been disheartened and unmotivated to write about it. Ugh. I couldn’t even bear looking at it anymore because I’m so mad at myself for dropping it. There goes $40+ (got it locally hence the mark-up). But while cleaning my hard drive, I found product photos I took of it when I first got it so here it is, my long-overdue review on my favorite Hourglass powder yet.
I got Mood Light because I loved the Ambient Lighting Palette but felt like it was lacking something. If you’re not familiar with the Ambient Lighting Powders, these were designed to mimic the effects of different types of flattering lights. Do you ever feel like you ‘look better’ under warmer restaurant lighting than harsh fluorescent hospital or office lighting? You don’t? Lucky you! These powders, however, were created with that concept in mind.
Mood Light is a soft, sheer lavender which seemed like a wrong purchase at first because I felt like it may look ‘fake‘ or ‘ashy‘ on me considering I was yellow-toned and this seemed to be ‘pink-toned’. It has minimal shimmer flecks, almost indistinguishable in person unlike in the swatch below. I use it as an all-over finishing powder like Dim Light – but whereas Dim fell short of my expectations performing just like MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural on me, Mood swooped in and lived up to the Hourglass claim.
hourglass-mood-light-4hourglass-mood-light-2 hourglass-mood-light-3hourglass-mood-light-5
a comparison of the sizes. L-R: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Mood Light, Blush in Diffused Heat and the Palette.
hourglass-ambient-light-swatches
THE Lowdown
The Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Mood Light dusted all over softens my otherwise flat matte or semi-matte look. It’s the only Hourglass powder where I’ve really noticed a marked ‘blurring of imperfections’. I wore this during my massive acne onslaught last year and I found that the combination of foundation + this powder on top effectively vanishes the blemish/mark/scarring. I mean, if you looked closely, you are still to see the battle wounds, but from afar – I look practically flawless. And again just to reiterate – I used this powder during my darkest acne days and not just on my good skin days – so I’m ecstatic to attest that it truly delivers on its claims.
Below, I’m only wearing the Estee Lauder Perfectionist Youth-Infusing Makeup foundation and Mood Light as my base. The EL foundation is on the light-medium coverage, so the further flawless-ification is by the Hourglass powder. My yellow-toned Asian skin is softened and isn’t as pronounced without veering too much on the pink side. Pores are hidden, even the lines beneath my eyes and the laugh line I’m developing are blurred. All these without looking like I slapped a ton of powder on – no caking, no looking like a ghost. Subtle yet powerful.
hourglass-mood-light-fotd
Heads up though – apply too much and you may look like a paler, sick version of Pink Panther. Those with darker skintones may also find this a bit ashy on when applied way more than the intended amount. Also, this has no oil-control properties so if you’re on the oily side, I suggest using a mattifying primer beneath everything or any oil-control powder after foundation but before putting on the Hourglass powder.
Have you tried any of the Hourglass Ambient Lighting powders? What are your thoughts? Do share!
*Affiliate Links

1. January 12, 2015 / 11:43 am

I only have 2 Ambient Lighting Powders (Mood and Dim) and I agree, Mood Light is so much better than Dim Light! I don’t know what it is about Mood Light…it’s like magic! Biglang flawless na agad from afar, lol.

• January 21, 2015 / 1:01 pm

DIBA! Akala ko I was alone in this!! YAY! I didn’t think much about Mood Light actually at first but when I used it, shucks! Even during my acne-marked days, it was able to magically blur them all into oblivion! 🙂

2. Melanie Brigoli
    January 12, 2015 / 1:39 pm

Super nice photos and lovely picture wearing the powder!!!

• January 21, 2015 / 1:01 pm

Thanks Melanie 🙂

3. January 12, 2015 / 3:21 pm

Hey Shari, I’m glad to hear you like this so much! I have Radiant Light, but I keep thinking I might want to pick up another one that is more “matte” if you know what I mean.

• January 21, 2015 / 1:02 pm

Radiant Light is more of like a warm bronzy glow inducer 🙂 I love it when I feel like I look too flat/pale but dont want to do contouring 🙂

4. _royalsunshine_
    January 12, 2015 / 4:24 pm

I was thinking of getting this 2nd hand but I put it off because I have Guerlain Crazy Meteorites. According to Temptalia, it’s a close dupe daw so I skipped this. 🙂 Your skin look flawless here Shari! <3 Thinking of getting the palette now that it's permanent. HAHA.

• January 21, 2015 / 1:04 pm

Ahhhh the Meteorites! I should do a post on that but Im afraid I’ll be “it just.. makes you glow..without you really knowing it.. so you just believe it does magically” LOL. I dont find the Meteorites to have the same effect as Mood Light which has the blurring imperfections part but it does give off a glow you can’t detect unless you look at yourself in the mirror throughout the day :))

5. January 12, 2015 / 5:26 pm

OMG I WANT THIS NOW HUHU — immediate reaction after reading this. :)))

• January 21, 2015 / 1:05 pm

Haha Eileen! 🙂 I wish I could give you one! Wait, maybe I can decant a chunk of the broken pieces and send them to you 🙂 I’ll see if it works! Sayang kasi eh!

6. Diana
    January 12, 2015 / 5:49 pm

It looks amazing!

• January 21, 2015 / 1:05 pm

‘Tiz magic, Diana. MAGIC. Hahaha

7. January 12, 2015 / 6:18 pm

Wow, Mood Light looks beautiful, you look flawless! I have Luminous Light and I love it to bits. How heartbreaking is it to accidentally smash a much-loved product, I did the same with my theBalm Cindy Lou Manizer and it definitely hurt to look at it afterwards!

Angie || the maquillage

• January 21, 2015 / 1:06 pm

Major heartbreaking </3 I also like Luminous Light which is quite the same as Incandescent Light, right?

8. January 12, 2015 / 7:26 pm

Super pretty! Your skin looks flawless with this powder, Shari! 🙂

• January 21, 2015 / 1:06 pm

Thanks Pauline!!! 🙂 It’s the powder really 🙂

9. January 12, 2015 / 8:13 pm

hahah when i saw the tweet that this was up (at like 4am in the morning or something when my brain work me up for no reason…and of course what do i do, check my twitter before trying to fall back asleep #TiedToPhone) i was like “ooo i wonder which one?!?!” and i sort of wanted it to be one of my faves too AND IT IS!! we are on the same wavelength shari.

i really like using this as blush actually. i haven’t ever tried it on my whole face ’cause its sort of…well…purple but its a really interesting blush colour on me. i might try and dust it on with a duo fiber brush though and see how that goes..when i’m at home and only i can judge my pink panther face 😛 the one i /do/ use all over though is dim. but then…if i go over board. i look like a yellow tan..which is sometimes weird.

Jenn

A Beautiful Zen

• January 21, 2015 / 2:30 pm

WOOOHOO! I love that we both love this and I dont know why! Just glad that I’m not alone in this Hourglass voodoo crazy probably :)) I haven’t tried this as a blush, but I shall 🙂 I haven’t tried using lavender-y blush yet so quite excited to see how this works as one 🙂

10. Lily
    January 12, 2015 / 8:18 pm

I have Diffused Light and not that impressed to be honest. That’s probably why I didn’t get into it. I should take it out again to give it another chance. Maybe my preference changed in a year?

• January 21, 2015 / 3:08 pm

I was supposed to get Diffused Light but went against it as I feel like I have enough yellow tones although I’m curious to see how it’ll fare as highlighter 🙂

11. January 13, 2015 / 12:49 am

Grabbing one of the Ambient Lighting Powders remains high on my wishlist, and I’ve had my heart set on ‘Dim Light’ until this post. ‘Mood Light’ it is! The only unfortunate thing is that I have oily skin so I’d need to use something extra to control that. Otherwise, it looks reallllly great on your skin!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:09 pm

Yes yes, the Hourglass powders aren’t really oil-controlling – they’re more color-correcting/highlighting 🙂 Excited to hear about your thoughts should you get one of these! 🙂

12. January 13, 2015 / 2:18 am

I love to use the Dim Light in setting my undereye concealer, and if I wear a heavier foundation because it never cakes!!! I love the incandescent light for highlight, and radiant light as bronzer. I only have oily T-zone, so oil-control is not much of a problem for me, and they last for a long time. Glad that I got it on a blog sale for only 1,500! 😀

• January 21, 2015 / 3:09 pm

I use Dim for setting concealer too since it doesn’t cake! 🙂 So I’m with you on that, Juvs! I also like Incandescent and Radiant for the same purposes you stated – definitely a good deal on the palette!!

13. January 13, 2015 / 4:03 am

Ang hirap with these powders is I don’t know which lighting flatters me the most. I guess that’s where the disappointment comes in. I got disappointed with the palette, but I have a feeling that one of these powders will be my perfect match. I wish I’d gotten mood light instead, but I already have diffused light coming in. *crossing my fingers that it is my perfect light*

• January 21, 2015 / 3:11 pm

I shall wait for your thoughts on Diffused! It’s my next purchase should I feel an Hourglass craving in the coming year HAHA. I really like Mood though pero nahahassle ako gamitin now ‘cos it’s broken 🙁 Huhu.

14. Ches
    January 13, 2015 / 3:37 pm

Anong shade mo Ms. shari sa Estee Lauder Perfectionist Youth-Infusing Makeup foundation?

• January 21, 2015 / 3:11 pm

Lemme check, will get back to you.:)

15. January 14, 2015 / 1:17 am

Oh wow, what a beautiful finish and shade on your complexion! I’m such a huge fan of these powders- Dim Light is my fave 🙂

• January 21, 2015 / 3:11 pm

Thank you Jen! 🙂 I’m glad Dim Light works for you! 🙂 For me, it’s more of a concealer/foundation setting powder that doesn’t really wow me 🙁

16. January 14, 2015 / 2:19 am

Wow, your face looks so flawless! I think Mood Light would look too purple on me.

• January 21, 2015 / 3:12 pm

Thanks Agata! 🙂 I think with the right amount, Mood wouldn’t appear too purple! My swatch above is just on the heavy side to really show off the shade 🙂

• January 21, 2015 / 3:12 pm

Thanks Erin, it really does! How’s Dim Light working for you?

17. January 14, 2015 / 11:52 am

This one really looks gorgeous on your skin! I wish I’d thought to set my face with regular powder first and then apply this over top because the finish is stunning. I was going through a super oily phase when I bought Mood Light and every day, my face looked radiant and fab in the a.m. but had a moonstone-like, oil-slick look by the p.m. I exchanged it for Dim and love Dim like nobody’s business! However, now I’m wishing I’d thought to try it over a regular setting powder because the finish was sooooo beautiful (in the morning)! DANG IT! Maybe I’ll give Mood another shot. You’ve completely turned me around, Shari! This is why beauty bloggers are the BEST – they help my sad ass LEARN THANGS! 😉 Much love!

• January 17, 2015 / 4:56 am

Yes, I am replying to my own comment 3 days later…b/c I’m cool, obviously! 😛 Just wanted to tell you I’ve been using a regular setting powder to mattify and then using Dim Light on top and OMG, SHARI. YAS! Face stays matte with hint of glow in all the right places ALL day. So wish I’d thought of this process on my own back when I already owned Mood Light, lol!!! THANK YOU! Will be buying Mood Light again soon, thanks to you! <3<3<3

• January 21, 2015 / 3:15 pm

WAHOOO!!!! I’m SOOOOO glad putting on an oil-controlling powder works Kristen!! That’s the thing I realized with these HG powders, oil-slick festival by the afternoon! Which is why I always have primer or a powder beneath! And I agree that this is the reason we love reading beauty blogs – to learn how to use our makeup properly! I dont know how many makeup I’ve dismissed as useless to me when I was just actually using it wrongly :’))) Hope Mood Light works for you too, babe!!!<3<3

• January 26, 2015 / 8:36 am

You’re literally the only person who’s ever mentioned using a setting powder and then applying the HG powder on top! So happy you did! I always wondered what the hell I was doing wrong since no one else seemed to have any issue with getting overly shiny in the afternoon hours! Bless you, my little peach! Mood Light will soon be mine {again}! 😀

18. January 14, 2015 / 9:36 pm

i sadly have not tried out any of these hourglass powders yet but have been dying too!! now that i see this mood light shade, it looks perfect and right up my alley! awesome review of this product, love all of your pictures!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:16 pm

Thank you Jenny!! Appreciate your sweet comment :’) Hope you get to try an Hourglass powder soon and will be waiting for your thoughts on it!

19. January 17, 2015 / 6:12 pm

I’ve never been impressed with Dim Light either Shari but maybe Mood Light? LOL. Actually I want to try all the Hourglass powders but never know which one will suit my skin tone best. They all sound so good!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:17 pm

Dim Light doesn’t blow me away – the only thing I like about it is it doesn’t cake! But then it doesn’t really last long either! I do love it for setting concealer though because of its no-caking feature! 🙂 Hope you get to try another one and see if it works for you. Go for Diffused or Mood!

20. January 18, 2015 / 11:33 am

HAH, I feel like ever blogger just has a massive photoshoot of a new product before they use it, and I find this hilarious. I’ve never really cared about Hourglass as a brand ever since their primer flopped on me, but since I am going cruelty free and they are a CF brand, I swatched their lighting powders today and they might be starting to win be over just a teeny bit.

But forreal though, who even thinks up of a lavender powder??? Glad to know it’s practical though!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:20 pm

I used to be anal about it before – hence, these old Hourglass photos lying around in my hard drive. Now, my EQ has considerably gone down and I just use the product without taking photos anymore. I then just call it “lived-in” when I publish it on the blog :))) Haha! ahhh, I never really thought much of their primer too but that’s probably because I’m not a fan of super silicone-y primers anyway. How did it flop on you?

21. January 19, 2015 / 3:14 am

I think it would be too light for me but it looks great on you. With these powders I think you have to find the right balance of application. At Least for me, some areas can do with more, some less. When you find the right amount to apply it really can give that blurred effect. 🙂

• January 21, 2015 / 3:20 pm

Yes yes yes, application techniques! Put on too much and as I said, I ended up looking like a sickly Pink Panther :)) But applied with the right amount, it does wonders 🙂

• January 21, 2015 / 3:20 pm

Thanks, Wiji! :*

22. Jessica
    May 17, 2018 / 5:44 am

These are my ride and die products!! I LOVE these powders, I have dim and radiant, I was debating between the mood light and luminous light💁‍♀️ I can’t beliebe I didn’t get on the band wagon when they first came out, I’ve tried to wear my makeup without using it just to see and I can’t believe how much better my makeup looks with the powders, I have people ask me all the time, what do you wear on your face!!?? I even had a guy buy my groceries at the store, I told him you don’t have to do that and he said you’re absolutely beautiful so I’m doing this for you, it has to be these powders😁Mood light looks beautiful on you!! Thanks for blogging about them💋