Makeup Graveyard #2

themistymom-look-2015 One of my concrete plans for the blog this year is to bring out my old makeup (a.k.a those obsessive-compulsively stored in either their boxes or velvet pouches) more and figure out ways to wear them differently so they’re not just gathering dust in the drawers. While I love the excitement of new makeup (or anything new for that matter), there just comes a point where I feel that I just can’t shell out more $$$ for newer, shinier things when I have these old but loved items rotting away because I might not possibly use them up in this lifetime.  themistymom-looksthemistymom-guerlain

Old Favorite

My Kind of Pink and Plum
Ahhh, Guerlain’s shadows — I’ve always had a soft spot for them. They’re beautifully formulated (if not all, at least most of those I’ve tried). I especially love the way they do the color stories of their palettes — the shades all blend together so beautifully without you having to stop and think how the hell to go about application. Guerlain Le Bois de Rose is one of my favorite plummy pink palettes! No matter what shades I combine, the look never fails to flatter. I wore this a few days ago to my mom’s birthday dinner and she and my sisters immediately interrogated me as to what eyeshadows I was wearing.
themistymom-powder themistymom-mascara-eyeliner themistymom-lipstick-bobbi

Other Products

I PULLED OUT THE GRAVEYARD
FACE. Whipped out Lancome Teint Miracle which I can’t seem to finish up! This used to be one of my favorites for the soft glow it gives off despite being demi-matte and having fuller coverage. But after discovering Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation and KGD Aqua, I realized this feels heavier on. So for daily wear, I chose the other two. I then topped off with a slight dusting of Ellana Minerals Powder Foundation Compact which evens out my skintone even more, filling in the pores and the lines to give that ‘flawless’ illusion.
LIPS. Paired the eye makeup with Bobbi Brown Pink Kiss which I dub as MAC Betty Bright but in a more wearable tone. Not too bright or attention-grabbing, but a beautiful peachy-coral nonetheless. I mixed a little bit of MAC Velvet Teddy on as well because I felt the pink was competing with the eyes and I wanted to tone it down even more.
EYES. Not from the graveyard but rather from my current favorites, Heroine Make Liquid Eyeliner and K-Palette 1-Day Magic Fiber Mascara. I am loooooving the Heroine Make eyeliner so much that the next time I’m dropping by a counter, I’ll be repurchasing a back-up. No tugging, dries semi-matte, does not budge the whole day, easy to maneuver even Selene could put this on – good stuff! It’s quite wet though so it needs at least 30 seconds to set. And the K-Palette mascara? Just look at my lashes below – you can actually see them! Usually they just disappear into oblivion because no mascara can get them to stay curled for long, but look! THEY’RE THERE NOW!
themistymom-eye-lookthemistymom-shari-guerlain-quad-look
Again and again
Excuse my brassy hair, I’m in need of a dire retouch. Thinking of going darker but I don’t think I can. Too attached to my light hair. Anyway, I hope you don’t mind seeing my old makeup going up again – I’m committed to using up stuff this year! I’m even thinking of inviting friends over and holding some sort of “makeup party” just so I can dent things – I don’t want them to feel unloved, guys (yes the makeup, not my friends LOL!).
How about you? What are your beauty-related ‘goals’ this year?

1. January 8, 2015 / 7:32 pm

I still recall your first post

• January 21, 2015 / 3:47 pm

GALING GIRL!!! Yes, I paired it with a Dior purple liner which dried out na :'( Huhu. I’m so excited for your new blog!! The blog name is so perfectly witty! Please update soon! *DEMANDING LANG* Looking forward to it!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:47 pm

Thanks Julie!

2. January 8, 2015 / 8:18 pm

Great look and I really like the idea of shopping your stash!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:47 pm

Yes yes, we all need to do this this year no? 🙂

3. Lily
    January 8, 2015 / 8:21 pm

This Guerlain palette has been on my wishlist forever! It is so pretty. The look you created is very soft and pretty. I need to try that mascara!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:50 pm

I dont know if my lashes just grew or if the mascara really works for me but I like it either way! 🙂 And yesss, this palette is one of my cant-be-without palettes. If I had to throw away most of them, this is one I’d keep until I pass it on to my daughter who’ll have it framed and call it vintage makeup.

4. January 8, 2015 / 9:12 pm

that Paletter is so pretty and even that is my resolution for the year
    to look at the products from the stash and use it more 😛

• January 21, 2015 / 3:50 pm

Yes, Im with you on that Krithi!

5. January 8, 2015 / 9:36 pm

You look so pretty, always so youthful and fresh-faced! I love Pink Kiss, it’s such a flattering color.

• January 21, 2015 / 3:50 pm

Thanks so much babe!!:* Always so kind!

6. _royalsunshine_
    January 8, 2015 / 9:43 pm

Shari, what shade do you use in Ellana powder foundation? I need to try that mascara. My lashes are short and thin too. Sadness. HAHA.

• January 21, 2015 / 3:50 pm

I used the Almond Latte pressed one here but in the loose mineral, I’m Chai Tea Latte 🙂

7. thinacruz
    January 8, 2015 / 10:38 pm

I THINK I got this palette too. I’m unsure because I haven’t unboxed my past hauls. It’s embarrassing. I intend to lessen my makeup splurging this year, rotate products more and hit the pan. Lovely look as always, Shari! Makeup party sounds awesome too! :*

• January 21, 2015 / 3:51 pm

GURL mag-unbox ka na. :)) I want to see the Guerlains you bought!!!!! Inggit! Makeup party soon? I’ll help you unbox! HAHA. #TinasWhiteRoomMakeupParty

8. January 8, 2015 / 11:43 pm

I love your fresh look, although you always look gorgeous! It’s my goal this year as well to go back and start using more products that I already have instead of buying more new!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:52 pm

Thanks Agata!! 🙂 Let’s push each other to stop splurging and start using up our old makeup, agree? 😉

• January 21, 2015 / 9:42 pm

Yes! I need support because temptations are everywhere and there are so many amazing launches right now…

9. January 9, 2015 / 12:46 am

You really, really, take such amazing shots, love! That even if I’m not much of a make-up fan myself, you just make me want to buy more and do more LOL

Happy new year, by the way!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:52 pm

Thanks Ai!!!! :’) And (super late) happy new year!

10. clementine buttercup
    January 9, 2015 / 1:03 am

I’m banning myself from buying new makeup and skincare till April. Not hard since my drawers are brimming with stuff after my Christmas splurge. Enjoying rediscovering some old faves.

clementinebuttercup.blogspot.co.uk

• January 21, 2015 / 3:53 pm

YAY! Glad you’re with me on this journey dear!!

• January 21, 2015 / 3:53 pm

11. January 9, 2015 / 3:31 am

I actually love seeing more of people using the makeup rather than full of reviews or hauls. If I have so many time in the world, I would like to have FOTDs more on my blog to share how I use my makeup more.

I love seeing old and new things on your blog, or anything really. Hehe. 🙂

• January 21, 2015 / 3:54 pm

And I’m one of those who enjoys seeing you do your eye makeup which are getting better and better every day, btw!!! 🙂

• January 21, 2015 / 4:35 pm

Awww… Coming from you, I feel so flattered! Thanks, Shari! Mwahhh <3

12. January 9, 2015 / 5:57 am

That’s a great blog goal! I have tons of makeup that I was super excited about when they first came out and now….they’re deep, deep in my drawers. My guilty pleasure is buying nude palettes – I have so many and I can’t stop buying them!

Anyway, I’d say my goal this year is to be more insightful in my reviews. I’ve always like the way you write and describe products, so you’re definitely an inspiration!

xx Alyson
    The Beauty Vanity

• January 21, 2015 / 3:55 pm

Nude palettes get the best of us. It’s okay babe, I’m with you on that one. We can go to nude palette rehab together this year :)) Thank you for the sweet compliment on my writing skills- really, when I reread them, it sounds like I’m talking crazy! Haha. But I’m glad you appreciate it, so so grateful! 🙂

13. January 9, 2015 / 7:05 am

yea i need to start using things up too..but i ALWAYS SAY THAT. but i’m doing it this year! i swear!!
    will take notes from you and dig up some old favourites. that shadow palette does look great on but i never really went in for guerlain’s eyeshadows. too pricy for just alight quality but maybe if a colour combo really really speaks out to me i’ll fork over the cash.
    i’ve only tried a mascara from heroine make. i should try this liner too. it looks promising.

• January 21, 2015 / 4:01 pm

EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. Right? Haha! Don’t worry, this year, I’ll be the gadfly who’ll keep on pushing you to use up your old makeup 😉 And yes, Guerlain’s eyeshadows are quite $$$$ but I actually like the quality OF SOME palettes. I’ve actually spent a swatching session in a Guerlain counter and find that most if not all of the 6-shade palettes are crap. But the quads- there are some gems in there! Like this one 🙂

• January 21, 2015 / 10:04 pm

YEA…some of their eyeshadow palettes don’t cut it, quality-wise. ESP for the price. i LOVE eyeshadows but a lot of theirs don’t appeal just b/c of the quality.

14. silverkis
    January 9, 2015 / 10:10 am

yay to using old makeup!! That’s going to be my motto this year… but somehow new shiny things are always the most exciting to me (i’m so bad!). Just this morning I found myself asking, ok what shades am I testing today, only to find drat there’s nothing new blah!

• January 21, 2015 / 4:02 pm

I can not imagine going through your makeup stash, Linds! I for sure would have died and gone to luxury makeup heaven :)) I hope you get to enjoy more of your beautiful stash this year though! 🙂

15. January 9, 2015 / 11:27 am

I love the look! This is my plan too, to use old makeup from my stash.

• January 21, 2015 / 4:02 pm

Good luck, Fiona! We can do this!!

16. January 9, 2015 / 5:25 pm

Parang nafifeel ko na rin yung medyo nasusuka ka na sa masyadong maraming makeup na halos gusto ko na ipamigay yung excess products ko dito…

• January 21, 2015 / 4:04 pm

The struggle is real. I feel so guilty even ogling at new makeup when I feel like I’ve a shit ton I won’t be able to use up in this lifetime.

17. January 9, 2015 / 6:27 pm

Gusto ko yung idea ng makeup party haha!

• January 21, 2015 / 4:04 pm

SOON 😉 Hehe!

18. January 10, 2015 / 12:10 am

Very pretty! The shades from the shadow palette are really perfect on you! I have to be better at shopping my stash this year too 🙂

• January 21, 2015 / 4:04 pm

Thanks Jen! I’m excited to see you shopping your stash because I’ve a lot I want to re-see on you 🙂

19. January 10, 2015 / 3:07 am

I am in love with this look! Very natural and light.
    Also: make up party sounds amazing! Hehe. 😀

• January 21, 2015 / 4:05 pm

Thank you Jhanzey! Parang hit yung makeup party, I shall make it come true! LOL

20. January 12, 2015 / 2:04 am

gorgeous photos! Guerlain products certainly have this charm to them that I can’t resist… but I suppose shopping my stash a little bit wouldn’t hurt! Great post and makeup look!

• January 21, 2015 / 4:05 pm

Thanks Maeve! And I’m excited to see you shop your stash as well 🙂 I’m a new reader on your blog and would love to see you come up with new looks for your old products!

21. January 12, 2015 / 10:24 am

Yes! I love posts like these! I’ve got a few pieces I’ve unearthed myself that are close enough to pan-hitting delirium that I must use them up right away! New products are always fun, but assessing what you already own and finding favorites there is even more satisfying. That lipstick color, toned down with Velvet Teddy, is BEAUTIFUL on you. Coral lips is your look!

• January 21, 2015 / 4:06 pm

I always love your posts so seeing you reuse your makeup and come up with an entirely different look (or same, I dont really care!), you know I”ll be all up on it! 🙂

22. Melanie Brigoli
    January 12, 2015 / 1:40 pm

lovely photos!!!

• January 21, 2015 / 4:06 pm

Thanks, Melanie!

23. April 20, 2015 / 1:25 pm

I ALWAYS love hearing people go on and on about Les Bois De Rose, because I always agree with them, it’ll always be one of my favorite eyeshadow palettes! And you do Les Bois De Rose like no other 🙂

24. Mary Ann