A L’Oreal Photoshoot

loreal-mat-magique-photos3 L’Oreal’s launch for its newest innovative powder, the L’Oreal Mat Magique, was held in a photography studio where guests were treated to a mini-photoshoot with one of Manila’s most talented (young!) photographers, BJ Pascual. From the call time, the full hair and makeup routine to the intimidating light and backdrop set-up, it felt like a legit photoshoot. Until I actually had to step onto the set, face the lights, the camera .. but instead of action, I did a disney movie instead — Frozen. As in, I froze. loreal-mat-magique loreal-mat-magique4 loreal-mat-magique7 loreal-mat-magique5

Mat Magique

Hashtag Believe in Magique
As early as this month, I’ve already been feeling a trend towards matte. Not only that, I feel brands will be focusing on reformulating their base products this year. Anyway, since I’m more of a dewy girl – preferring the skin-like, looking-quite-oily-but-not-really finish – I wasn’t particularly thrilled about this “trend”. I like powders to mattify during midday, but to use them as foundation? I like cake, I’ll eat it, even a whole of it if I like the flavor – but I don’t want it on my face. Y’get what I mean? But still, I was curious to see the absorption powers of L’Oreal Mat Magique which supposedly leaves you matte for 12 hours straight! So yes, I took on the challenge. I’ll do a full review of this on a separate post!
loreal-mat-magique-powder loreal-mat-magique6 loreal-mat-magique-mua
Verna Marin (the chief makeup artist of L’Oreal Paris Philippines who did my makeup that day) and I had a “you look familiar” moment. I suddenly remembered (albeit vaguely and hazily that I even hesitated to mention it because she might not be who I had in mind) that we worked together for a defunct fashion catalog magazine where I was an intern 5 years ago. We didn’t talk during that shoot at all (I’m quite the introvert LOL) but it was amazing to witness the power of memory taking play. We actually remembered each other’s faces.
loreal-mat-magique8
The beautiful and edgy L’Oreal Makeup Designer Group Product Manager, Trisha Chua.
loreal-mat-magique3
Poor BJ. He must be thinking “oh this girl, she’s a master of selfies but an awkward turtle in real photoshoots”. Which I AM! But he was great at helping this awkward turtle come out of her selfie shell.
loreal-mat-magique-photos loreal-mat-magique-photos2
The Final Photos
loreal-makeup-bj-pascual3 loreal-makeup-bj-pascual2 loreal-makeup-bj-pascualloreal-bj-pascual-mat-magique copy
I Believe
…in BJ’s magic! Haha! I think the photos came out entirely opposite of what I was doing and how I was feeling at the time. I also feel like I can officially be Queen of the Frozen pose. I would like to call it Tilt-Your-Head-A-Little-In-All-Directions but that’s too long, no? Also, can you believe I was wearing the L’Oreal Mat Magique – a powder foundation in these photos? Usually I find powders heavy and that they tend to wash me out but I actually had a subtle hint of glow in the right places on the photos above. And Verna didn’t use any highlighter on me!
I have the list of products she used – all from L’Oreal – which left me pining for a True Match concealer which unfortunately, my shade’s sold out everywhere. Boo. As I said, I’ll blog about my full thoughts on the Mat Magique foundation right after this entry. But just for a “sneak peek”, I wore it for 10 hours straight coming from this photoshoot then attended another event and went straight to dinner and drinks. No touch-ups, no oil problems… I was matte as Damon.
sep
Today (January 31) and tomorrow (February 1) – get a chance to have YOUR profile photos taken by BJ Pascual when you purchase a Mat Magique 12HR Matte Foundation powder for only P499. Drop by the SM Mall of Asia Atrium if you can!
sep
How do you feel about powder foundations? Are you curious to try this one?

1. January 31, 2015 / 3:47 pm

Its been a long long time since I bought or used any L’oreal makeup! Hair care is a different story though.. I am crazy about Kerastase! 🙂

You look so professh in the pictures! Wow 🙂 *awkward turtle* was hilarious! 🙂

TheConscienceFund

• February 4, 2015 / 9:04 pm

Ahhh Kerastase hair care! That is a splurge for me but my hair absolutely loves their products! Everyone I know with great hair swears by them! 🙂 Thanks for the sweet comments, Div! “Faking” profesh never looked so awkward! LOL:)

2. January 31, 2015 / 5:25 pm

Wow! You look so beautiful! L’oreal is one of the drugstore brands I’ve gotten back into and so I’m so excited to see the newer stuff they’ve been coming out with. My skin is slightly dry and so I don’t like powder foundations, but this one looks pretty amazing on you.

Hao | haodoyoungo

• February 4, 2015 / 9:05 pm

Hi Hao!! I’m excited for L’Oreal’s new stuff too – one of the first foundations Ive used was their True Match one. Which products have you used and loved by them? 🙂

3. January 31, 2015 / 5:34 pm

It’s not just BJ’s magic! Of course, you had yours too! Look at those photos! You are so beautiful! 🙂

xo
    Janine | Lime & Life

• February 4, 2015 / 9:05 pm

Awww you so sweet Janine!!! Thank you thank you! 🙂

4. January 31, 2015 / 6:27 pm

Such a cool event! I used to be all about matte skin but now it’s dewy, dewy, dewy. I might as well set my face with highlighter, y’know. You look so beautiful in your 6th photo! A little shy smile (ala Ana Steele?) And just 11 more days!!

• February 4, 2015 / 9:08 pm

Just DEWY-t!! Haha, pushin’ it. But yes, I’m with you gurl! If I need to powder, it’s cos I’m oily na and no choice na talaga. HAHAHAHA at setting your face with highlighter – ‘cos I thought about doing that narin!!! LOL. Maybe I should experiment and share it here! Then post your version on your blog, too! HEHE

5. January 31, 2015 / 8:31 pm

omg you DO look like a frickin model and the powder looks great! there’s a good luminosity there (probably properly photography lights adding to that) but dude you are STUNNING!!

• February 4, 2015 / 9:11 pm

TOO KIND, JENN! But thank you! 🙂 Those damn photography lights are so addicting, though – I wish I could walk around with those + the fan blowing in my face. You should see the first photos though, when the fan was suddenly turned on and aimed at my face with no warning – I was like “wow, never knew my hair tasted so good” LOL

6. January 31, 2015 / 8:49 pm

Wow, this sounds like great fun. The photos came out awesome and you look absolutely beautiful (frozen, what?) – I also really liked the shot of you and the photographer for some reason, very sweet 🙂 Thanks for sharing this.

• February 4, 2015 / 9:20 pm

Awww thanks for appreciating the photos! And for mentioning that you liked the one with me + the photog! He’s the cutest, no? LOL! It was fun but quite nerve-wracking because this photographer was used to working with top models.. and then there I was… tilting my head as if I had a stiff neck !!

7. January 31, 2015 / 9:31 pm

Girl. Your shots looked great! I liked the second to the last one the most 🙂

• February 4, 2015 / 9:22 pm

Thank you, Elle!! And thanks for dropping by!

• February 4, 2015 / 9:22 pm

Dayum girl…THANK YOU!!! :*

8. January 31, 2015 / 10:39 pm

Legit model status! The second to the last photo of you is total #girlboss
    The powder looks great! Maybe when my skin’s not as dry I’ll try it out, can’t wait for the review.

P.S. laughcrying at the matte damon joke

• February 4, 2015 / 9:24 pm

Huhuhu ikaw lang natawa sa Matt Damon joke, Cel.. THANK YOU!!! Hahahaha!! :)) Sabaw lang!
      And thanks for the comments on the photos… that’s the one I picked to be printed out actually! Love na may #GIRLBOSS vibes siya!

• February 4, 2015 / 9:24 pm

Thank you Jen!!! It was – quite an experience!

9. February 1, 2015 / 2:58 am

Wow, wow, WOW! You could TOTALLY feature in an ad like this, you look amazing! Seriously girl, you looked every inch the model <3

• February 4, 2015 / 9:25 pm

Thanks so much my love!!!! Your comments mean a lot to me 🙂 Even if I dont get featured (which is a long shot btw!), I feel like I already have anyway because of you guys hehe. TOO KIND!! :**

10. February 1, 2015 / 6:43 am

But you do look like a model already! 😀 Looks like a fun event, Shari! I wouldn’t know how to pose in front of a photog. LOL. The powder really does keep your skin matte and smooth! Impressive!

• February 4, 2015 / 9:27 pm

I thought I had it, you know? I’m like.. I can totally do this, I basically live in front of (my) camera anyway.. but then POOF! My shoes were suddenly glued to the floor :)) Hahaha! I laugh at it now but at the time, I felt so awkward like.. how the hell do I do this without looking like I have a stiff neck! But thanks so much for the nice words, Jaa! Awkward turtle appreciates it :**

11. February 1, 2015 / 9:10 am

Shari you certainly look like a model and now you feel like one too, it is only right!
    You pose so well!

• February 4, 2015 / 9:27 pm

THANK SO MUCH SARA!! :* I appreciate your kind words, especially since at that time, I didn’t feel like it at all :))

12. February 1, 2015 / 8:34 pm

Love the outfit + hair! Looks so chic. I think I might have to check out that powder!

• February 4, 2015 / 9:27 pm

Thanks, Eileen! :*

13. February 2, 2015 / 1:54 pm

Naku baka makita na kita sa EDSA ha! Kudos to BJ! I might check out this new Mat Magique. What shade did Vern use on you?

• February 4, 2015 / 9:28 pm

GURL, if makita mo ko sa EDSA, baka pang-Imodium yung ad! :)) Mej nafeel ko yun nung nagstart na mag-click si BJ for photos HAHA!! Verna used the shade G1 on me 🙂 I’m giving away one – just comment on this other entry 😉 I think you’re a shade lighter than me? http://www.themistymom.com/2015/02/loreal-mat-magique.html

14. February 3, 2015 / 6:25 am

All your photos are pretty. Pwede ka na talaga sa billboards! Wow!!! <3

• February 4, 2015 / 9:29 pm

GUYSSS… I’m so flattered you think pwede na ako pang-billboard! NG IMODIUM! 🙂 Hehe. Thanks Juvy!!

15. February 5, 2015 / 11:27 am

FELT LIKE A MODEL???? PLS, YOU ARE A MODEL 😉
    But damn, THOSE PHOTOS. LOOKING FINE, QURL!!!! I know you probably didn’t have a wind machine, but the way your hair is curled makes it look like THERE WAS ONE. SO FABULOUS.
    I was quite surprised when you said the MUA didn’t use a highlight on you, because that ‘matte’ foundation just makes your skin look naturally flawless! And ISN’T IT WEIRD RUNNING INTO PEOPLE FROM YOUR PAST? In a way, it forces you both to realize how far you’ve come!

• February 5, 2015 / 8:49 pm

Yes, I’m a model! A MODEL CITIZEN, YO. Actually, not even. Ha! And V, I’m flattered you think it was the curls- I shall commend the hairstylist for confusing you like that! 🙂 But there was a mini fan or blower or I dont even know what that was that suddenly turned on and was aimed at my face that it made me taste HAIR. Haha. And yes, no highlighter! Jenn pointed out it may also be from the strategic lighting which I may have to agree with if not the powder really looks good on cam!

16. February 5, 2015 / 7:59 pm

Wow, even in the bts photos, it doesn’t show that you’re feeling frozen. I also like the lipstick they used on you. Did you get the chance to play with their matte lipsticks?

• February 5, 2015 / 8:52 pm

Haha, mukha lang hindi pero look at my body! I could’ve used some kinetic energy.. LOL! Yung FEZ ko lang gumagalaw and yung smile ko – went from ‘what-do-i-do’ to ‘just-smile-it-out-gurlfran!’ haha! 🙂 The lipstick the MUA used was Collection Star Gong Li, Barely Moka 🙂 I wasn’t able to play with the matte lipsticks ‘cos I was in a hurry that time. As in ‘shoot and run’ lang haha but I think I chose one to take home – will have to play with it pa. Have you tried their matte lipsticks na ba?

• February 5, 2015 / 10:11 pm

I only have one, sunset (something). It’s a muted nude apricot/tangerine. The formula itself is ok, but it makes my lips look dry. I guess nude and matte don’t really match (except for MUFE mattes).

17. February 5, 2015 / 10:37 pm

You look so stunning! 🙂 I don’t usually like powder foundations, but every new one that comes might change my opinion 😉 xx

Gyudy’s Notes Of Beauty

18. February 9, 2015 / 6:13 am

You look so stunning in these pictures, Shari! You were a great model – I wouldn’t ever dare to even get on that set I think! Especially in that last photo, you look super relaxed. No frozen at all! 🙂

19. Marjorie Gavan
    February 10, 2015 / 10:13 am

I seldom use foundation but I actually own a L’Oreal one, imagine that haha.. I use the one called True Match liquid foundation. I can’t use it alone though. I have to set it with powder or my face would look greasy. I think your photo shoot came out right, I do sense the “frozen” thing you were talking about though, I’d probably feel the same way because, hello, pressure! Hahaha… but you look stunning in the photos so you don’t have to worry 🙂