L’Oreal L’Extraordinaire

loreal-lextraordinaire So let’s talk about liquid lipsticks / glosses which – to be honest – aren’t in my top favorite lip products. They feel quite thick and “on there” (as compared to my favorite barely there lip formulas). They stick to hair strands that taking photos with ‘wind effect’ (contrived or not!) isn’t as fun and ideal. They make you look like you just knocked down a slab of pork chops in one bite. You get the picture! However last year, upon trying the Dior Fluid Sticks, I’ve been more open to trying lip glosses! Curious to know how L’Oreal’s L’Extraordinaire liquid lipsticks fair? loreal-lextraordinaire-lipgloss2loreal-lextraordinaire-lipglossloreal-lextraordinaire-lipgloss3loreal-lextraordinaire-lipgloss4

L’Extraordinaire

Liquid Lipsticks by Color Riche
sep
There’s definitely nothing extraordinary with a liquid lipstick formula, right? I’m even confused as to how to draw the line between lip glosses and liquid lipsticks anymore. Do super pigmented lip glosses qualify as liquid lipsticks? How about liquid lipsticks that are less opaque? Are they not just lip glosses? I’m officially confused. Definitely a sign of more innovative times though, yes? Next thing we know we’re not sure if we’re putting on liquid or powder foundation because they’ll virtually be the same.
Let me attempt to illustrate these L’Oreal L’Extraordinaire* liquid lipsticks anyway – they are quite in between a liquid lipstick and a lip gloss. I feel like they have good pigment (see below) but they lack more oomph to be qualified as a lipstick. So to me, they’re basically just lip glosses with more pigment than the usual. But with less – almost none – of the tacky, sticky lipgloss feel despite being high-shine products.
loreal-lextraordinaire-lipgloss-swatchesloreal-lextraordinaire-lipgloss-fotd1loreal-lextraordinaire-lipgloss-coral-encoreloreal-lextraordinaire-lipgloss-fotd3
MORE THOUGHTS
The first three pink shades – Rose Finale, Rose Symphony and Coral Encore – basically register the same on my lips (!?!?!?) probably because of the lighting. They are more difficult to work with as application is quite streaky and uneven in one layer. I have to put on at least two layers to even them out. The last two which are reds, Rouge Soprano and Ruby Opera, are easier to work with as they apply fully pigmented in one swipe and aren’t as streaky as the pinks. Only issue with the darks is that it’s hard to get a clean outline as the pigments tend to bunch up on the outer lip area.
Did I mention these aren’t sticky? They are quite smooth and less heavy than others although you will feel them on as they don’t particularly set. I also noticed that while they aren’t moisturizing, they don’t dry my lips like the L’Oreal Shine Caresses did with their high alcohol content. I feel that these L’Extraordinaires are very similar to the Rimmel Apocalips so if you liked those, you may like these as well. I haven’t tried the Maybelline Elixirs but I feel that these are quite similar to those, too.
Wear time isn’t impressive. These don’t last longer than a meal on me, except the darker shades which leave a stain. Since I mentioned these don’t fully set and cling on to the lips, once you sip coffee or grab a snack, these come off easily. These also have a subtle fruity mango-peachy scent which you’ll either love or loathe. I personally like the scent, it’s not bothersome as the others I’ve tried. Overall, while I find the formula better than other lip glosses I’ve tried, I find nothing particularly extraordinary with these L’Extraordinaires. That doesn’t mean they aren’t worth a try if you’re a liquid lipstick fan, though. I personally love the Ruby Opera shade!
sep
Have you tried these L’Oreal Extraordinaire liquid lipsticks? How about other liquid lipstick formulas? Which one is your favorite? I’d love to hear in the comments!
*This is a PR sample sent by brand for editorial consideration.

1. Marjorie Gavan
    January 20, 2015 / 2:41 pm

I’m not big on liquid lipsticks too because I eat them. My lips are so small, I need something more pigmented so they would last, hence, I’ve never been partial about the liquid kind. So to answer your question, I haven’t tried the L’Oreal Extraordinaire liquid lipsticks and so far, I don’t have a favorite among all kinds of liquid lipsticks.

• January 31, 2015 / 6:05 pm

Ako rin, I always lick my lips kasi. Bad habit :)) So I always steer clear from glossy lips. I do like liquid lipsticks that are matte though like the Guerlain l’extrait ones. 🙂

2. _royalsunshine_
    January 20, 2015 / 3:00 pm

I have these in a bright fuchsia shade and an orange one. 🙂 I like the texture and it lasts very well on my lips! Love the coral one best on you, Shari. <3

• January 31, 2015 / 6:18 pm

I think the lighter ones don’t last as long as the darker shades 🙂 The texture is okay naman, it’s just quite streaky kaya hirap i-even out 🙂 Thanks Meg!! I like the coral second, the dark ruby is my fave!

3. January 20, 2015 / 3:51 pm

Oh! I hadn’t noticed the alcohol content in the Shine Caresse ones. I really liked how those lasted longer than many glosses. Now I am conflicted :/
    Should I try these ones instead?

• January 31, 2015 / 6:19 pm

If you liked those, you MAY like these but the Shine Caresse ones last longer because of that higher alcohol content. In turn though, it’s more drying. These ones aren’t – they’re quite comfortable on the lips.

4. January 20, 2015 / 5:30 pm

Hi Shari. I’m not a big fan of liquid lipsticks as well and I do prefer matte formulas when a lot of pigmentation is involved. Can I mention again how beautiful your pictures are! Hihi 😉

X Alice

• January 31, 2015 / 6:23 pm

Thanks so much, Alice! 🙂 I appreciate it and babe, I miss your blog posts!

5. January 20, 2015 / 7:32 pm

Well, I guess this kind of formula ‘best used for my quick errands. I also love the Ruby Opera on you!

• January 31, 2015 / 6:40 pm

When you don’t have time to make sure your lipstick is properly on, yes, lipgloss is definitely the choice! With this one, you swipe on one lip, purse your lips together and voila, ‘undone’ lips in an instant!

6. January 20, 2015 / 7:48 pm

I haven’t tried these, I wanted to, but none of the shades called out to me! I think I would go for the nudes since I don’t really like bold lips in these glossy formulas, but they all look the same on your lips and it sucks to hear that they were streaky. I have one of the Maybelline Elixirs (one being enough!) and I really like it so I am content!

Tasha // shiwashiful.

• January 31, 2015 / 6:57 pm

I think if you’re happy with the Maybelline Elixirs, you can definitely skip these Tasha!

7. January 20, 2015 / 7:50 pm

That stinks that they barely last! At least the packaging is pretty 😛

• January 31, 2015 / 6:57 pm

They do have pretty packaging! Reminds me of YSL, actually 🙂

8. January 20, 2015 / 8:01 pm

I swatched Ruby Opera and I think that the ad is so misleading!! False advertisement! It wasn’t nearly as pigmented as it looked. I waited about 10 mins. too, seeing if it would set better. Next think I know, it’s gone! I accidentally brushed my hand againts my shirt and it immediately transferred and disappeared. I think these would be great to just use as a gloss. At least in what I like with lipsticks. If I wanf ultra glossy red lips, this seems like the perfect thing to top off over my beloved Russian Red.

• January 31, 2015 / 7:00 pm

Yes, it’s a gloss lang talaga and it doesn’t set so it’s easily wiped off, as I mentioned in the post! That’s why I’m quite confused to why they marketed this as a liquid lipstick. Sigh. I wish marketers would be more direct to the point, noh? Not so much fluffiness in copy – it’s really misleading and it may do more harm for their consumer base in the end. Y’know what? I haven’t warmed up to Russian Red yet. Maybe because I’m so happy with VG1 that I’m completely okay not trying Russian Red and Ruby Woo. Should I though?

9. January 20, 2015 / 9:00 pm

Sad to hear these were just okay 🙁 what about the NYX Butter Glosses? Have you tried those? 🙂

• January 31, 2015 / 7:00 pm

I haven’t tried those Pauline! But maybe I should? I have heard they are one of the best glosses EVER! No fail, in almost every blog I read!

10. January 20, 2015 / 11:35 pm

Coral Encore looks a lot more pink than coral and that is just such a shame. Also too bad that they wear off so soon.

• January 31, 2015 / 7:01 pm

It is 🙁 I was so confused why it registered as such on my lips. 🙁

11. January 20, 2015 / 11:56 pm

I think they look more pigmented on your arm than on your lips. WEIRD. Anyway, I love all lip products bit still prefer solid / bullet form i.e. lipsticks. It just feels so CLASS to swipe your lips with a lipstick bullet!

• January 31, 2015 / 7:02 pm

Exactly my thoughts, they look more pigmented on my arms! On the lips kasi, they apply streakily so I have a hard time evening them out. I think while in the process, I wipe off the opaqueness?

12. Lily
    January 20, 2015 / 11:58 pm

Hhmmm… I think I’d skip these. For liquid lipsticks, Shiseido offers pretty good ones. Estee Lauder ones are very pigmented and high shine, and those Guerlain ones are just super expensive (but they’re good too). I’d say Shiseido Lacquer Rouge is an all round winner though.

• January 31, 2015 / 7:03 pm

I have tried the Shiseido recently and the pigmentation of those are just WOW. They apply very evenly and opaque on the lips as well! Definitely good ones, those Shiseido liquid lipsticks. I also like Guerlain’s L’Extrait but as you mentioned in Twitter, it dries out 🙁 My Orgeuil is on the drying out stage as well.

13. January 21, 2015 / 3:31 am

What a lovely little set! Love how pigmented these are and wow, Ruby Opera is stunning 🙂

• January 31, 2015 / 7:06 pm

Thanks Jen!! I love Ruby Opera too!

14. January 21, 2015 / 7:00 am

This is such a cute set! I really need to try these lipsticks, they look so comfortable to wear.

nueyork.blogspot.com

• January 31, 2015 / 7:06 pm

They are very comfortable on – that’s one good thing about them!

15. January 21, 2015 / 9:45 pm

I haven’t tried these but I agree, it’s more of a lipgloss and I personally prefer wearing lipsticks because glosses just don’t last on me long at all. Coral Encore looks so beautiful swatched, too bad it looks just pink on your lips.

• January 31, 2015 / 7:06 pm

I’m not a big gloss fan either 🙁 And yes, so sad that Coral Encore registered pink on my lips 🙁

16. January 22, 2015 / 7:54 am

Luckily, I was able to buy one fluid stick on sale from beautymnl! It’s sale + 20% first buy + discounted giftcard. Such a bargain! I can now believe that the fluid sticks are awesome! I’ll never buy any more lip glosses because of it!!!

I’ve tried the Maybelline Lip polish so I am not drawn in trying this anymore. Fluid sticks ftw! 😀

• January 31, 2015 / 7:07 pm

The Fluid Sticks are the BEST!!!!! SHUCKS. No words talaga. I hate gloss but I loved that one! Also, the Maybelline Lip Polishes/Elixirs are quite the same as this so I perfectly understand why you’d skip! 🙂 What shade Fluid Stick did ya get?

17. Anna Carmina Escalona