Benefit Brow Zings

benefit-browzings-review I’ve always been a brow creme-gel and/or pencil user. I tried using a few of my eyeshadows for filling in but I couldn’t quite get the hang of it. I may have ended up looking like I used a paint roller for application. Powders just give me too much freedom, I just keep at it until I have this huge square block. Yikes. But after a Benefit Brow event where I saw they used this brow kit duo on me, I was motivated more than ever to give powders another try.  benefit-browzings benefit-browzings-review2

‘Sup, Brow?

Benefit brow zings kit
Benefit Brow Zings comes with a darker shade wax, a lighter powder, a mini tweezer, a mini hard angled brush and blending brush. The wax is quite thick and heavy which you apply as a base for the powder to ‘stick’ on to. I find that using too much of the wax may result to a clumpy mess especially if my brows have grown out and are a bushy mess on their own. When this is the case, I just use the wax to outline my brows and blend them out a bit so as to not look so stark.
The powder, though, is amazing. It’s a good match with my current hair color and I find it smooth, pigmented and easy to apply. I do have to go over my brows with a colored brow gel afterwards or else it just looks so off – with my natural jet black brows sitting on top. The angled brush can actually do the blending itself but I love that they included a separate blending brush because it does the job much faster and more efficiently. I also like the inclusion of mini tweezers for easy stray-hair emergencies (because who carries around a full-sized one with them?!).
benefit-browzings-review3 benefit-browzings-review-face
Final Thoughts
The only bump I encountered was difficulty in shaping my brows evenly (more of a weakness in technique than the product) — which I don’t experience as much when using pencils or brow gel cremes. I think it has to do with the mini angled brush which I’m not so adept at using. It may actually also be because of my uneven brows.
But the finish? Very natural compared to using some pencils or gel-cremes that tend to look too defined, even HD, depending on application. I like the defined look, too – but for everyday, filling in is all I need. The downside of using brow powders is longevity – it can easily be erased or wiped off which is where the wax part of this brow kit comes in to solve that issue. All in all, this all-in-one kit is a good piece of investment for those serious about their brows.
benefit-browzings-review-face2
DUPE?
If you’re wondering how Brow Zings compares to the Sleek Brow Kit – which my sister and I both used before – I did find a few differences. The Sleek wax tends to dry out quickly that I deemed it unusable after only 5 months leaving me to use the powder alone. Also, the wax becomes darker the more I dug through it (oxidized maybe?).
Also, the brushes in the Sleek set are okay but the wax & powder seem to stick onto them and dry them out easily. My sister didn’t wash hers regularly and she had to replace them because they were unusable. The price difference between the two is also quite significant. I didn’t repurchase the Sleek Brow Kit, though. But I would consider repurchasing the Brow Zings should I run out.
sep
Have you tried Benefit Brow Zings? What do you think of BROW POWDERSin general?

1. Meg
    January 24, 2015 / 10:58 am

I used to use the Elf dupe for this before. It worked okay I think, i recently threw it away because it was more than 4 years old and the gel had amag. Yikes! Haha. I am currently so pampered using pencil and topping it with benefit gimme brow. It is so much easier that using powder. #tamadlang lol

• February 4, 2015 / 10:25 pm

YIKES! Well it has been 4 years! 🙂 I’m glad Gimme Brow is working for you, I have the wrong shade so I’m not quite appreciating it as much as others 🙁 I want to get the right shade so I can properly review it rin! And I agree, powder isn’t for the lazy ones *ehem*ME*ehem. I use it for when I have the luxury of time lang talaga 🙂

2. January 24, 2015 / 12:46 pm

Your brows look great! 🙂

• February 4, 2015 / 9:31 pm

Thanks, Miriam!

3. January 24, 2015 / 1:04 pm

I love Benefit’s brow products, they really are the master of excellent brows. These days I tend to use more ABH Brow Wiz types of products to fill my brows and then Gimme Brow over the top, but I’ve been playing with the powders again lately just to change things up a bit!

Angie || the maquillage

• February 4, 2015 / 9:32 pm

That is true, Angie! I’ve tried most of Benefit’s brow products and they have excellent offerings 🙂 Especially love this kit though – it’s all in one! Just need a brow mascara after this because I have colored hair and I’m done 🙂 I want to try the ABH Brow Wiz though!

4. January 24, 2015 / 1:25 pm

I love brow powders! Always use them for my brows. I feel that I can control the product better and be more precise. I haven’t had ky eyebrows done for months! I’ve been growing them out so they’ll be nice and full for prom. So lately, I’ve just been brushing on some of my Prolongwear Waterproof Brow Gel. It sets my brows and adds in some color! Great stuff.

• February 4, 2015 / 9:34 pm

I remember! Your fave is brow powder because they look natural and I agree! Also, true on the control product and be more precise with it – because you can sheer it out. I love your full brows, though – I wish I had! I’d just have it groomed and no need to fill in every single time. Hay! I like the Prolonge Wear Brow Gel – my sister has and I like the wand better than the old MAC Brow Gels that deposit WAAAY TOO MUCH on the brows. hello, barbie brows!

5. January 24, 2015 / 2:40 pm

I am soooo bad at my brows! I want to try the brow gel from Benefit but not sure i’ll find a good match for my BLACK eyebrow hair! I love how your brows look!

TheConscienceFund

• February 4, 2015 / 9:35 pm

If you’ve full brows, really, a clear brow gel + grooming will do! Gimme Brow is good too but it has extra fibers to make brows look fuller so if you don’t need it, you can get away with just their clear brow gel 🙂 Thanks, Divs but I hate that I have to fill it in every time because i have sparse brows! SIGH. *girlproblems*

• February 4, 2015 / 9:35 pm

It is! 🙂 If you try it, let me know!

6. January 24, 2015 / 8:08 pm

Hey Shari, this actually looks great on you! I have tried Brow Zings but that’s another Benefit failure story that I have. Some years ago, I got persuaded to buy this by an SA who picked a shade way too dark for me (probably Dark). Naturally, being a total noob, I didn’t even realize that till I went home for summer and my family was like “WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR BROWS?” Needless to say, it wasn’t my favorite brow memory (I seem to have a lot of those tho). Nowadays my default is brow pencils. Another problem with powder for me is that it is not made to adhere to bare skin. Since my brow hair is so sparse, I really need to pencil them in. You’re right about the wax tho. I think I actually hit pan, but it never dried out.

• February 4, 2015 / 9:36 pm

LOL! I would have to agree on scary brow moments being a n00b. I filled in my brows with super dark pigmented brow pencil before and my mom and dad just looked at me asking me if I had a problem or was undergoing anything :))) They thought I was acting out/being emo :)) Never touched a brow product again until recently when I started blogging!

7. January 24, 2015 / 10:26 pm

Wow, love the effect of this on you! I’m a huge fan of brow powders, but have never given this one a go. Anastasia’s Brow Powder Duo is my fave 🙂

• February 4, 2015 / 9:37 pm

Ahhhh, so many Anastasia lovers here! Thanks for the reco, Jen!

8. January 24, 2015 / 11:15 pm

I can’t seem to get a good wax : powder ratio with this thing. I haven’t written it off; I know it has potential ’cause I’ve lucked out a few times… But the invisible wax is difficult to control.. or maybe it’s the freebie brush…

• February 4, 2015 / 9:39 pm

TBH, I used very little wax when I use this. Above, minimal lang ginamit ko, almost none, just to set the hairs inside the ‘outline’. I mostly just use the powder! I think it’s the brush, I find using this quite time-consuming and I feel like it’s the brush – I’m used to the regular-sized MAC eyebrow brush kasi.

9. January 25, 2015 / 2:42 am

Were you wearing brow mascara, if you weren’t, I like that the powder seemed to have clinged on the hairs.

I’ve never used wax before. I wonder if the (literal) hair wax I use for my brows could work as a brow wax. I don’t usually use that wax + brow powder at the same time.

• February 4, 2015 / 9:40 pm

I was wearing brow mascara on top of this, Rae. Maybelline’s Fashion brow, to be exact. I have to or else my black hairs will stick out and look off. Actually, almost every brow product I use I have to top off with brow mascara. Except for Shu Uemura’s Hard Pencil in Acorn which is grey/taupe-ish. Also, that’s an interesting question – I think pwede gamitin regular hair wax, basta hindi siya yung nagpapatigas ng hair (like hair gel).

10. January 25, 2015 / 8:19 am

I’ve used the ELF brow duo before. I’m a brow pencil girl, but I might give this a try 🙂

Aissa // tea in january

• February 4, 2015 / 9:41 pm

How’d you find the ELF duo? 🙂

• February 5, 2015 / 2:47 am

I liked it! I can’t really compare it to other brow duos since it’s the only one I’ve tried. For the price, I thought it was great 🙂

11. January 25, 2015 / 8:42 pm

Hi Shari. I haven’t really delved into brow powders as I’m not that confident using a brow powder as well. The longevity is usually also not that great … But hello Shari’s brows, you look awesome! The colour is a perfect match with your hair. Yup, you’ve done well exploring! 😉

X Alice

• February 4, 2015 / 9:41 pm

Yup, that’s my qualm with powders, they don’t really last long and once you wipe off a part, HELLO WONKY BROWS. :)) Thanks, Alice! 🙂

12. January 25, 2015 / 9:49 pm

I’ve always loved how you do your brows. I can never perfect mine no matter how OC I am about it, lol. I haven’t tried Benefit Brow Zings only because I tend to sweat more compared to most people and brow powders can’t handle my constant wiping. What I’ve been using for nearly a year now is Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade.

• February 4, 2015 / 9:44 pm

Ay that’s true – the only real waterproof, sweat-proof, oil-proof brow product I’ve used is MAC Gel Brow Creme! Kinda like the Dipbrow Pomade rin, but a reader here compared them (she has both) and for her, the MAC one lasts longer (doesnt dry out quickly). I’ve had mine for more than a year, going strong parin! :))

• February 4, 2015 / 9:45 pm

Pencils are really the quickest, if I have no time, I’ll use a brow pencil or pen lang rin to fill in and I don’t need to worry if they’re even or what. 🙂

13. January 26, 2015 / 2:00 pm

BROW GAME! haha I love doing my eyebrows and so far, I’ve been pretty comfy with my Body Shop brand. But it’s running out and I guess I can give this one a try especially since I like powder more than pencils, gel etc.

• February 4, 2015 / 9:46 pm

I have so many suggestions!! Try Heroine Make Quick Eyebrow (pencil), K-Palette Brow Pen (super long-lasting) and MAC Brow Gel Creme (gel pero super HD brows but meron learning curve and you need an eyebrow brush!). 🙂

14. January 26, 2015 / 3:53 pm

This is interesting! My brow game is pretty meh. I’m using eyebrow pencils from Snoe and Nichido. I’m doing okay, but I still would want to have that nice smooth effect that I can’t achieve just yet. -_-

I’ll try this product next time! Nice review!!!!

• February 4, 2015 / 9:47 pm

You can check out Heroine Make Quick Eyebrow or the new Maybelline Fashion Brow pen which are also within the Nichido/Snoe price range but have nice finishes (low pigment so you don’t look super galit!) and give you that ‘smooth’ effect 😉

• February 6, 2015 / 10:56 am

Yay, thank you for the tip, Shari!!!!

15. January 27, 2015 / 12:48 am

Strong brow game here, Shari! Love it! This one does remind me of the Urban Decay one I have. It has a wax formula and powder formula in one compact. I generally prefer filling my brows with pencil first, though, and then follow with powder to soften things up if I have more time. Powder alone doesn’t like to adhere well to my skin since I have very, very sparse brow hairs haha. I need to provide a good base for it first. 😀

• February 4, 2015 / 9:48 pm

Ooooh, I dint know about Urban Decay’s brow compact! Thanks for sharing, Jaa! Also, thanks for the tips on going about with these types of brow formulas – definitely appreciate it and will put it to use next time (maybe tom!!) 🙂

16. January 27, 2015 / 8:49 am

This is a good kit, but I just can’t use the tiny brush. My hands are too big for it. I like using the powder and wax combo for lazy days, and if I need to hurry! I use the wetnwild one, and it is pretty ok. 🙂

• February 4, 2015 / 9:49 pm

Yes yes, I hear you on ‘only-have-30-seconds-to-do-my-face’ days! 🙂 And yes, I still can’t master the use of the tiny brush as well!

17. January 27, 2015 / 6:09 pm

I haven’t tried a wax for my eyebrows yet and am a little hesitant to do so. Though this sounds like a pretty kick-ass product and it look awesome on you, very beautiful!

• February 4, 2015 / 10:03 pm

Thanks for commenting, babe! Because of this, I’ve stumbled upon your blog and have been backreading your posts! Definitely an addition to my favorites 😉

• February 4, 2015 / 10:03 pm

Thank you so much dear, will check it out!! 🙂

18. January 28, 2015 / 11:42 am

I haven’t tried applying this myself, but the Benefit SA did apply this after I got my brows waxed last December. It did stay on the entire day. I’m just a little intimidated by the learning curve. I’ve just gotten used to mapping my brows with a brow pencil, so I’ll focus on that first. :p

• February 4, 2015 / 10:16 pm

There is definitely a learning curve – and I experienced it! The first time, I took 20-mins or so trying to even out my brows because I wasn’t used to the small angled brush. I love the effect, though – very natural! Also, good luck on brow mapping! I’ve been practicing that myself as well 😉 Takes some time especially for shapeless brows like mine!

19. January 29, 2015 / 2:01 am

You knew I was going to be all up in this post because I’m a brow girl! Haha. I have yet to try this, though! My first brow HG is actually a brow powder compact, the Shiseido Brow Styling Compact. Super HG that it was completely panned out without any more product. Sadly they sorta “re-modeled” the formula and the compact that it wasn’t the same anymore. I think I’ve told you this story in one of my comments, haha!

I do use Gimme Brow (to make it seem like I have hairs) but this post is making me want to buy this! But I think I’m going to go with the Sleek Brow Kit first.. stay tuned! =))

• February 4, 2015 / 10:18 pm

YEZZZ GURL.. I knew you’d be all up in this post!! Woot! Thanks for sharing your brow knowledge!! 🙂 Also, it’s from your same knowledge that I decided not to switch to Anastasia Dipbrow and stay with my MAC Brow Gelcreme na lang. I got curious with that Shiseido brow compact the first time you mentioned it that I looked for it at the Shiseido counters every time I get to pass by one..sadly, wala na nga. I mean, it’s remodeled na nga! I tried it, though and it was good ah – I almost bought it pa nga! :)) Will wait for your Sleek adventure! Cant wait to hear your thought on that!

20. January 30, 2015 / 4:33 am

EYEBROWS ON FLEEK. I haven’t tried using powder to fill in my brows, mostly because that in itself is a struggle to find a matching shade. The brow products I have are all too warm for me, so THE HUNT CONTINUES! (But seriously, I find that whenever I do my eyebrows, it looks like I added nothing in at all or end up looking like a caveman. THERE IS NO INBETWEEN BECAUSE I STILL NEED TO GET A HANG OF MY BROWS)

Anyways, haven’t tried Brow Zing, mostly because I was like “wtf, how do I use this??” when I first saw it at Sephora.

• February 4, 2015 / 10:21 pm

V!!! I can’t believe you haven’t gone down the eyebrow rabbit hole yet! It’s addicting once you find that product and see the difference filled-in brows make! I swear, I was as clueless as you about brows before. I did my whole makeup and didn’t even care for my brows but then when I look at my photo, I feel like something’s missing (not realizing it’s my brows messing the ‘made-up’ look). Hmmm.. I think it’s best to go with a brow pencil that’s not too pigmented nor too light that it doesn’t register at all. I feel like the Shu Uemura Hard 9 pencils are the easiest to work with 🙂 Hope you find your brow-mance soon, love!

• February 5, 2015 / 11:30 am

RIGHT??? I really need to start experimenting with my brows, because I’m currently in that phase where I do an entire face of makeup without the brows AND IT REALLY DOES LOOK UNFINISHED/LIKE SOMETHING IS MISSING. I’m thinking of trying out more of Anastasia’s brow products in hope I’ll find something I love, but I’ll look into Shu’s pencils!

THANKS, LOVE 😉

21. January 31, 2015 / 3:34 am

Your eyebrows looks great! I haven’t tried Brow Zings but I’ve used the Sleek one. I didn’t love it, especially the wax. The Benefit one looks good though 🙂

• February 4, 2015 / 10:22 pm

Thanks, Sam! I’ve finished up a Sleek one only because I didn’t want to have multiple products at that time but it was such a pain to use, esp the wax! Thanks for the feedback!!

22. Nicole Yu
    January 31, 2015 / 10:00 am

I suuuuper love your blog!!! 🙂 Been a follower since 2012 when I was just starting my own beauty blog. Stopped blogging because I got too busy with work and just got back to doing it this year. Just wanted to drop you a line saying your blog is one of the things that inspired me to start way back in 2012 and to bring it back at the start of 2015. 🙂

• February 4, 2015 / 10:23 pm

Hi Nicole! Thank you for your sweet sweet comment!! So motivating 🙂 I hope to hear more from you this 2015! And that you can find time to blog even amidst your busy work commitments. It’s a good escape 😉 Share your blog rin if you want! I’d love to take a look at it! 🙂

23. February 9, 2015 / 6:16 am

I love using powders! I have a Makeup Store trio kit, but of course I only use one shade. I also sometimes quickly use a matte brown eyeshadow – I don’t have the patience to do Instagramperfect brows so I just fill them in quickly for a fuller look.

24. Anna Carmina Escalona