Tom Ford Cocoa Mirage

tom-ford-cocoa-mirage

Cocoa Mirage

Matte EYESHADOWs done PERFECTLY
Tom Ford Eyeshadow Palette in Cocoa Mirage – the raves are definitely not raves for nothing.
I’ve professed my love for the Tom Ford palettes over and over again in this blog, so I don’t want to have to repeat myself. BUT GOOD LAWD, THIS PALETTE. I deliberately delayed opening this up (had this since March as it was a present from my mom) because I was afraid I’d be all “meh, nothing to see here, folks” about it.  And maybe there’s a bit of truth in there — as the shades look like your typical boring brown neutrals that are churned out here and there again and again. It’s almost insulting that I’m raving about a completely non-unique set of shades here.
But guys, I’m all about the FORMULA. Cocoa Mirage is dominantly a matte palette – with three matte shades and one satin shade. You know how ‘difficult’ it is to find mattes that are boldly pigmented, smooth, creamy, non-powdery slash chalky (a.k.a perfectly formulated) in the market? Maybe you can get one or two of those mentioned in some palettes but not all. Cocoa Mirage can eat up all my other “matte” eyeshadows and spit them out into broken pieces. I’ve officially found my one true (matte) love.
tom-ford-cocoa-mirage-two tom-ford-cocoa-mirage-three tom-ford-cocoa-mirage-swatchesstom-ford-cocoa-mirage-swatches2
The Lowdown
I love how saturated the shades are in one swipe – it instantly makes you feel like all the money spent is worth it. I wore this without any primer because I was that confident it’ll show up as boldly. Blending (my least favorite part of eyeshadow application!) is a major breeze. So easy breezy that I can even use my fingers alone to blend these out (see photo above – only used my pinky finger to blend hastily).
The texture is a smooth, creamy, almost velvety kind of matte that swiping is a luxury in itself. Ugh, can I just do a “swatch Cocoa Mirageparty so you can all see for yourself what I mean? Hahaha! These also wear the whole day without fading — one of the major pros I’ve observed with all Tom Ford palettes. The shimmery/glittery shades do fade a bit but Cocoa Mirage, in particular, maintains its intensity when you put it on to the time when you take it off.
I may have tried using the darkest matte as an eyeshadow filler and a contour shade. The contour was quite dark but blended out quite easily, I put on too much though so it turned out quite Angelina Jolie-Maleficent levels! Not a look I like so much on me. Hah! For the eyebrows, I found it to be too dark so I used the light brown shade instead and it works quite well as a filler.
tom-ford-cocoa-mirage-facetom-ford-cocoa-mirage-fotd2
Final Thoughts
Tom Ford Cocoa Mirage is an eyeshadow palette you should consider if you’re on the lookout for your first Tom Ford palette AND you’re not swimming in matte neutral shades yet. The shades are pretty dupable, yes – but the quality is not. At least from those that I’ve tried so far. These shadows are the definition of Tom Ford quality – something I expect from the brand every single time because hello, these aren’t exactly budget-friendly.
I have to share though – I considered (still am considering!) using this every single day because I love how it subtly defines my eyes depending on the intensity of my application. And also how I can pair it with either a nude, pink or a bold one and it comes out looking beautiful every time.
A caveat – I do have to make sure my undereyes are clean and even-toned when wearing this because it can make me look more tired than the usual. No thanks to my super dark circles competing with the brown-ness of the shades. But let me just end with this note – my two all-time favorite Tom Ford palettes now are Orchid Haze and Cocoa Mirage.
If any of you have this palette, share your thoughts please (tell me I’m not alone in this crazy! HAHA)!

1. December 12, 2014 / 12:16 am

You look so gorgeous. I know what you mean though about the dark circles, bee there done that. I love the quality of Cocoa Mirage soo much but somehow the undertones of it doesn’t look that good on me. I need a bit of aubergine, just a touch, like Chanel Charming, that one was the one for me!

• December 18, 2014 / 7:17 pm

Oh yes, Chanel Charmin’s shades are perfect for me as well! And thanks for sharing your sentiments, Sara! I thought I was the only one iffy with neutrals such as these which shouldn’t be so hard to wear!

2. December 12, 2014 / 12:30 am

I can’t pull off very matte looks that well, but I’ve at least got to search this quad when I have the chance! Love that lipstick on you as well 😉

• December 18, 2014 / 7:22 pm

I love matte looks a lot – but for some reason, I just find it harder to pull off! I dont know why exactly. Thanks Sunny!! And I’m so proud of you for not going deeper into the Tom Ford rabbit hole! Sooo dangerous!

3. December 12, 2014 / 1:41 am

If ever I buy an eyeshadow quad again Ill make it TF now! 😛 Seeing how good this looks on you I totally need it now! eeegaawd!

• December 18, 2014 / 7:22 pm

YES! I think this and Orchid Haze are the best TF quads, if you ever go down that rabbit hole 😉

4. December 12, 2014 / 2:26 am

This really is the ultimate matte brown quad! Leave it to Tom Ford to make something so top knotch. He does makeup so well, if I was starting all over again I would totally choose his quads over the endless others that are great – but not quite up to his level.

xoxo
    Kelly

• December 18, 2014 / 7:23 pm

RIGHT? Thanks for your thoughts Kelly!! 🙂 A few other things may not be worth their price, but so far, the quality of his quads make you feel like they are (even though you’d like to feel otherwise LOL) 🙂

5. December 12, 2014 / 2:43 am

I assume Tom Ford is bank-breaking due to the formula & quality of materials used. Sounds like a good deal to me, especially it if works well. :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

• December 18, 2014 / 7:24 pm

Yes, indeed love :*

6. December 12, 2014 / 4:46 am

Wow, so glad this was a pleasant surprise for you! The shades are totally beautiful. A good matte is sometimes hard to find!

• December 18, 2014 / 7:24 pm

A very good matte is hard-to-find 😉 So far, I think this is my standard when I say very good matte!

7. December 12, 2014 / 5:36 am

I’d love love love to try Tom Ford matte shadows!!! As great as it sounds, I’m afraid this combination will only make me look tired. 🙁 Pairing it with bold lips like you did in the photos is a genius idea! You look instantly alive! 😀 Hopefully Mr Ford will come out with another matte palette with different colors. 😀

• December 18, 2014 / 7:24 pm

YES!! I second that, another non-brown matte palette will be good!!

8. cheska
    December 12, 2014 / 7:11 am

what eye primer do you use po? Can I ask for an eye primer recommendation?

• December 18, 2014 / 7:25 pm

I use MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre – but more for cancelling the yellow/sallow tones on my lids 🙂 If you want a primer, NARS Smudgeproof is good!

9. Bellyhead
    December 12, 2014 / 7:31 am

😀 I love this palette, too!

• December 18, 2014 / 7:25 pm

I’ve seen how you’ve worn this and it looks beautiful on you Belly!!

December 12, 2014 / 8:03 am

This looks so luxurious. I don’t think I’ll be investing in this (and hopefuly other TF palettes) because the shades look quite like the ones in Naked Basics. Madly in love with that palette!

• December 18, 2014 / 7:26 pm

If you’re happy with the Naked Basics, definitely no need to get these! Personally though, I find the mattes in UD palettes to be not so good, on me at least. I have a hard time getting them to show up.

11. December 12, 2014 / 8:37 am

I am such a fan of brown mattes, so naturally I lusted after this at first glance! I definitely think this would be a palette worth investing in as a quality of mattes this high is so difficult to come by and you would also get your moneys worth out of it!

nueyork.blogspot.com

• December 18, 2014 / 7:27 pm

YES YES and YES! I agree with all your points here, babe!

12. Lily
    December 12, 2014 / 9:24 am

I agree that this is a palette of beautiful mattes 🙂 One of the better matte palettes out there actually!

• December 18, 2014 / 7:32 pm

I expected to be a little disappointed but glad I wasn’t!! 🙂 I haven’t encountered any good mattes save for the ones in the Lorac Pro 🙂 This beats those out of the park by a long stretch!

13. December 12, 2014 / 6:42 pm

*drooling* I might get one TF lipstick next year and it might just be this one. Huhuhu kaso grabe lang ang expensive 🙁

• December 18, 2014 / 7:32 pm

Palette ba gurl? I think TF Lips and Boys parin ang nasa isip mo! Hihihi :))

14. December 12, 2014 / 6:51 pm

I love the colours. I’m always using a matte eyeshadow anyway. *added to wishlist*

• December 18, 2014 / 7:33 pm

Ahhh, a matte shadow lover! It’s a beauty, Xuvi!!

15. December 12, 2014 / 8:38 pm

If I didn’t already have CT’s The sophisticate, I could see myself lusting over this right now.

• December 18, 2014 / 7:33 pm

How do you find the CT palette, Rae? I want to hear all about it!

16. December 12, 2014 / 8:48 pm

Super pretty! But wow I just checked the prices for Tom Ford makeup and they’re pricier than I thought o_o you’re lucky to have gotten this as a gift Shari!

Catpacking | Beauty & Travel

• December 18, 2014 / 7:34 pm

Very lucky, indeed! My mom was super sweet to get me this even if she finds the price outrageous!

17. December 12, 2014 / 11:51 pm

Woah, pure perfection! I love my neutrals and I love my mattes, so this gets two big fat thumbs up from me. Love the eye look.

• December 18, 2014 / 7:34 pm

Thanks, babe!! 🙂

18. December 13, 2014 / 5:12 am

Totally agree, a good matte is hard to find! Sometimes they’re so powdery and chalky, but I’m excited to see how this one performs on my skin!

xx Alyson
    The Beauty Vanity

• December 18, 2014 / 7:35 pm

Exactly my thoughts about mattes prior to this. This is absolutely not powdery or chalky – no fallout at all!

19. Makeup With A Heart
    December 13, 2014 / 7:25 am

I seriously don’t want to jump into the luxury beauty market as my poor wallet wouldn’t be able to handle it, haha. But you make it so hard to resist! I swatching Lancome shadows and it was soooo hard to walk away from the “shimmery without being over the top” shadows :'(

• December 18, 2014 / 7:36 pm

Ahh yes, the new Lancome shadows are beautiful!! Sometimes the quality outweighs the outrageous prices especially when you’re super happy about it 🙂 So yes, dangerous to jump into the luxury market – I say do major research, testing before raising your arms to surrender 🙂

• Makeup With A Heart
        December 19, 2014 / 10:23 am

That’s good advice. I’m going to assess my collection first to see if there’s even room for anything new xD

20. December 13, 2014 / 9:36 am

ooo i’m going to tread carefully here lol they look very very tempting and you’ve certainly hyped up the quality and it looks legit! can’t say i’m raring to jump on the TF wagon just yet though but maybe when i really want to splurge..but at this rate, i have so many shadows its starting to get hard to justify purchasing more (except I’m totally eyeing the Tarte Tartelette matte palette)

Jenn

A Beauitful Zen

• December 18, 2014 / 7:37 pm

But you have so many MUFE shadows to play with!! Enjoy those first – I think they will sate your ‘need’ for any TF eyeshadows HOPEFULLY! LOL. I will pretend that I didn’t see your Tarte Tartelette palette recomm– oh shit never mind, I’m googling it now.

21. December 14, 2014 / 5:03 am

This looks so pretty on you! I would love to try some Tom Ford products but sadly my student budget doesn’t allow that 😉 It’s good to hear that the formula is good though because then it’s worth the price tag!

• December 18, 2014 / 7:54 pm

It’s good quality but I think you can get something for better value especially if you’re a student 😉 No need to splurge on luxury palettes such as this one! In the future, maybe! Hihi.

22. December 14, 2014 / 6:37 pm

I don’t have any Tom Ford products. I know all the bloggers rave about them, the palettes especially, but I can never pull a trigger since the shadows are so pricey. That third shade from the left is to die for though!

• December 18, 2014 / 7:55 pm

Aww I’m sorry! I don’t want to contribute to unnecessary purchases TBH! I think if you have found matte shadows that work just as well, definitely no need to jump into the TF brouhaha 🙂

23. _royalsunshine_
    December 15, 2014 / 3:52 pm

Ang gandaaa! I love that this palette has more matte shades. This is next on my list – I know it will take years because I could really afford to buy this. XD HAHA. At least it’s permanent! P.S. I really love Cognac Sable! Wore it to work the other week and it’s super easy to blend. I just used my fingers haha. the glitters in the copper shade suprised me like WHOA. SO MUCH GLITTER. Buti na lang it looks okay sa eyes. Haha.

• December 18, 2014 / 7:57 pm

DIBA? I’m glad you think the same! Kaloka, kaya talaga siya i-blend lang ng fingers then pat on the glitter shade should you want to. How do you find the shade selection? It’s quite unique, TBH (cognac sable) – medyo hard to pull off lang for me because siguro nagcclash yung undertones nung burgundy sa skin ko. But it’s so pretty! The glitter shade is nicely done, rin! Hindi siya WHOA SHOWY GLITTER. Hit me on Twitter if you’ve posted a look on it na! 😉

24. December 15, 2014 / 10:19 pm

Ahhhhh!!! The palette looks absolutely gorgeous. I’m looking forward to splurge on some Tom Ford myself this christmas 😉

• December 18, 2014 / 8:01 pm

Go with either this or Orchid Haze, you won’t be disappointed 😉

25. angela v
    December 18, 2014 / 5:49 am

great pallete. the colors look gorgeous and amazing on your skintone 🙂
    great blog, very inspiring
    check out my blog too maybe we can inspire eachother? or follow, let me know and I will follow back 🙂

• December 18, 2014 / 8:01 pm

Thank you Angela!

26. December 18, 2014 / 9:39 pm

When I looked at the photos, the matte browns didn’t feel boring at all. In fact, it’s great that you have these highly-wearable, neutral-toned shades from such a luxurious line. At least talagang masusulit mo yung palette, and that’s the best testimony for how amazing it is. Hahaha. You’re enthusiasm is infectious!

• December 19, 2014 / 5:16 pm

Siguro at first, it looks “ahh, normal brown” but there are nuances in the undertones that make it different than other browns. However, the WOW talaga is in the formula. Hands down, it will make you want all your matte shadows to be this smooth and pigmented and soft and silky and SIGHHHH… Hahah!

27. March 24, 2015 / 10:02 am

Damn lady I’ve only recently got into using mattes and the two mattes in this palette is sooooo gorgeous! Love the look you did, the swatches are so buttery and smooth looking! I totally need to pick up a tom ford palette!