Makeup Play with the New Etude House Collection

etude-house-makeup One of my resolutions for 2014 was to delve deeper into Asian beauty brands. Let’s just say that it may have been the only resolution (beauty and non-beauty wise) that I’ve cared enough to follow through for this year. That’s one from the usual none *woop woop!* Etude House is one of the big Korean brands I’ve dipped my toes into this year and I’m quite surprised that I actually like the brand more than I expected myself to. etude-house-makeup-2 etude-house-makeup-3 etude-house-makeup-4

Quick Thoughts

Etude House NEWEST MAKEUP COLLECTION
Stay Up Foundation*. This is my first venture into Korean foundation (I’ve only ever tried the BB creams which  to be honest, I’m not a huge fan of). Stay Up reminds me so much of Chanel’s Perfection Lumiere Velvet foundation – medium coverage with a creamy smooth consistency that blends to a velvety, slightly powdery finish. It dries semi-matte with a bit of your natural skin sheen still peeking through – which I like because it doesn’t look like a flat matte.
It covers up redness and blemishes in one layer – even my super dark circles have been lightened sans concealer. See below! Wearing just the Etude House Stay Up Foundation as my base. Oil control is above average (but I’m dry-combination now so I can’t speak fully about it) and wear time is around 7 hours. Cons: foundations clings on to dry patches and I don’t find it buildable as it has caking tendencies.
Dear My Wish Lips-talk*. Good gosh, these are majorly opaque lipsticks that really pack a punch! I didn’t expect it to be as pigmented as it is. The shades are all so bold and bright – but in a wearable and maybe even covetable way. They are quite slippy though but not as much as others that feel greasy slash buttery as well. Nope. Just the right amount of slip that makes it glide smoothly on the lips. It doesn’t fully set though, so it moves around quite a lot which I don’t like – so what I do is I blot it out thinly on tissue. It doesn’t lose pigment that much because this truly is bold and saturated in one swipe.
etude-house-makeup-fotd etude-house-makeup-fotd2
I’ll save the eyeshadow palette review for another post because I’m missing the swatches, woops. But yes, I’m wearing it on the photos above as well. Let’s just say that Etude House has definitely gotten my attention and I’m eager to see what they have in store for us next year!
Have you tried any Etude House products? I’d love to hear your experiences with the brand. If not, what other Korean brands have you tried?
*This is a press sample sent by brand for editorial consideration.

1. _royalsunshine_
    December 9, 2014 / 7:07 pm

I love the lipsticks! The orange-coral one looks so good on you! 😀 and omg the foundation is a possible high end dupe? If it’s similar then I will need to try it. 🙂 I am so excited for the eyeshadow palette review, the colors look nice and pigmented! can’t wait for swatches.

• December 10, 2014 / 1:58 pm

The orange lipstick is so KPOP! 🙂 I have the Perfection Lumiere and it feels the same talaga. Except maybe the Stay Up is quite heavier on compared to the Chanel, pero consistency yes!

2. Lily
    December 9, 2014 / 7:45 pm

The last time I bought some eye shadows from Etude House was perhaps 5 years ago? I got fussier and I wanted more from my products and I gave those away because I found them to be too powdery and they didn’t last long. Their quality might have changed but I haven’t walked into that store for a few years now. Those lipsticks look great on you and I especially love the pink 🙂

• December 11, 2014 / 8:42 pm

The eyeshadows must’ve improved because I find only one of them powdery – the white one. The rest aren’t! As for longevity though, I can only say how they fare WITH primer and they lasted well through 5-6 hours on me. 🙂 Had to take it off already.

3. December 9, 2014 / 7:57 pm

The palette is so stunning! I really want to try some items from Etude house, everything looks amazing.

nueyork.blogspot.com

• December 11, 2014 / 8:42 pm

Hope Etude House expands to wherever you live, babe!

4. December 9, 2014 / 7:58 pm

Wow, those lipsticks look amazing! I LOVE that corally shade! The foundation sounds awesome too but I generally don’t really like it when foundation clings to dryness, though I don’t tend to build foundation up that much though.

Tasha // shiwashiful.

• December 11, 2014 / 8:43 pm

When you apply the right amount, it doesn’t emphasize dryness at all – only when you put a lot 😉 Same here, I’m not a fan of building up foundation as I generally don’t like full coverage anyway.

5. December 9, 2014 / 8:14 pm

yea the lipsticks have always had my eyes. I’m sure excited to try out the Play pencils! i have to wait till i go home to vancouver this friday to pick them up.

Jenn

A Beauitful Zen

• December 11, 2014 / 8:44 pm

Can’t wait to hear about your Play pencils! 🙂 Im sure I’ll be tempted UGH. Haha!

6. Stefanie Meier
    December 9, 2014 / 10:04 pm

what a beautiful palette, I love those shades recently. great post

Stefanie | Casualllyawkward | Bloglovin

• December 11, 2014 / 8:44 pm

7. December 9, 2014 / 10:51 pm

Brow products from Etude House are amazing! I think they’re the only products that I’ve tried from Etude. But I’m thinking about checking out their Lips Fit and the Play 101 pencils.

• December 11, 2014 / 8:44 pm

I haven’t tried their brow products, I shall check them out next time I drop by their store/counter 🙂

8. December 10, 2014 / 1:22 am

What gorgeous Winter shades! Love how creamy and pigmented the lipsticks are- both of them are beautiful on you 🙂

• December 11, 2014 / 8:46 pm

Thank you Jen!! I love how I ended up liking the lipsticks – even if I didn’t expect I would :’))

9. December 10, 2014 / 5:43 am

I’ve been wanting to try Etude House for a while. I heard very good things about that palette, and the lipsticks look amazing!

• December 11, 2014 / 8:46 pm

Things to try: Play 101 pencils, brow products, lipsticks! Heehee.

December 10, 2014 / 6:26 am

Never ventured much into Korean makeup either. Korean BB Creams… Scare me. They’re so pale. I’m so pale!!

• December 11, 2014 / 8:50 pm

They are always too white-casty noh?! This foundation is super nice, though. Way better than the BB creams! And yes, grabe super pigmented nung lipstick! They move around though 🙁 So I blot! Here are the rest of the shades:
      DAT VAMP.

• December 11, 2014 / 9:21 pm

I want to try that one 🙂 Because of the cushion thing! Pero kasi parang not hygienic eh 🙁 What you think gurlfran?

11. December 10, 2014 / 7:34 am

both Lippies are so beautiful! in love!

• December 11, 2014 / 9:21 pm

They are!! 🙂

12. December 10, 2014 / 10:55 am

OR203 is really beautiful! it’s that kind of shade I am currently looking for!

• December 11, 2014 / 9:22 pm

It’s a shade I’m not really confident wearing pero it’s nice! 🙂 Super KPop feels! Haha

13. December 10, 2014 / 4:55 pm

I had the & Rose Flowering Eyes palette from last year, and those shadows were crazy buttery. I’ve swatched that new one (Bloody Halloween), and it’s equally luxurious. A Korean friend once told me that Etude House in Korea is marketed to high school students, but I have to say that the quality is definitely at par with all the other Korean brands marketed to the (more discerning?) working girl. Where shadows are concerned, the limited edition ones have such amazing high quality that feels smooth and stays put.

Funny names, though. The colors in that palette are so gorgeous, I wouldn’t ever associate them with anything horror-related. Haha.

• December 11, 2014 / 9:23 pm

I was thinking the same thing about the names! 🙂 BLOODY burgundy! Haha!! 🙂 I agree with your findings, Marielle! Probably because of the packaging kaya more for high school girls siya – but the quality is definitely worth checking out! I want to see the other palettes tuloy after you mentioned they’re buttery!

14. Makeup With A Heart
    December 11, 2014 / 1:51 pm

Etude House is my favorite Korean brand so seeing all of the products in this post makes me want it all in my shopping cart! Thank goodness I don’t live in Korea or else I’d go broke—but I’d be so happy with the cute packaging xD

• December 11, 2014 / 9:22 pm

What are your favorite Etude products, babe?:)

• Makeup With A Heart
        December 12, 2014 / 2:50 pm

I’m a lip tint kind of girl because I forget to reapply throughout the day. My favorites are the Etude House Kissful Choux Tint in 01 (red) and 02 (pink). 01 isn’t a red but more of a warm bright pink. It goes on like a lipgloss but as it dries down, it settles into a comfortable satin stain. Eating does wear it away but enough color is left so it doesn’t look patchy.

I also like the Drawing Eyebrow Pencils. It comes with a spoolie on one end and the pencil is hard so I don’t get Sharpie brows. It’s cheap and comes in an ashy enough color for my dark brown hair 😀

The nail polishes are another bargain buy. They’re smaller, the color selection is vast, and application is amazing! I’m pretty sure I have more favorites but these 3 are my staples!

15. yanee
    February 3, 2015 / 7:43 am

I was just at the office then one day i got bored trying to google something interesting, and since i love make up i tried to search for some pinay make up bloggers. And viola! I found you! And now im addicted to your blogs! ♥ 🙂

16. March 24, 2015 / 1:49 am

I’ve tried only a few products from etude house but I totally would love to try a bb cream/base and a lipstick from them! I’ve seen a couple great reviews on that foundation and the fact that it has a matte finish is what I’d LOVE. I love their lipglosses so next I’d love to try their lipstick, that pink is sooo stunning! I love shades like that!

17. Anna Carmina
    June 11, 2015 / 11:43 pm

I love love love Etude! Their facial wash is cheap but absolutely amazing! I love the lipstick shade PK002 *drooling*
    You should totally try their play pencils 🙂