A Holiday Experience

happyholidaysfromTMM I’ve so much things I want to (feel like I have to) worry about but at the moment, I think anxiety has finally taken its toll on me (much as I want to disagree). As I’m typing this — I’m a bit woozy from the pills and painkillers I’ve been prescribed but at least I’m 70% pain-free atm. Been bed-ridden for two (going on three now) days straight, crippled by stomach pains that plagued me out of nowhere. I couldn’t sleep, I couldn’t stand up, I had to be rushed to the ER.  Painkillers injected, blood, urine and lipase samples were extracted. I went through several more tests and while thank goodness I didn’t need to undergo any kind of surgery (appendectomy, etc.), the test results are still inconclusive. Additional check-ups with my gastroenterologist are required to find out what disease/condition I have. My childhood best friend from the U.S. arrived two days ago and I didn’t get the chance to see her and my other friends last night for our annual Christmas reunion (we are 17 girls in our group!) because I was in bed, struggling to stand up for at least 5 minutes straight just to plop right back into fetal position. Cried myself to sleep because the pain wouldn’t go away. If this extends to tomorrow, I may be having noche buena in bed alone. Or none at all because I’ll be sleeping the pain away. I guess what I’d just like to say after all that long babble is — nowadays (especially with the onset of social media), it seems like more and more things make us perturbed and stressed out easily. Does my selfie look okay or do I look fat in it? Should I post this or am I considered flooding already? What time should I post this photo so it could be seen by many? Which among these 50 photos of this steak should I choose to upload? While my sickness didn’t particularly stem from anxiety and stress alone, they may have aggravated it. I was worried about what to cook for dinner tonight/tomorrow/the next week. Sinigang again? Adobo again? I need to learn new dishes to cook ASAP. The bathroom needs to be fixed, why hasn’t the plumber showed up yet – the house smells! The laundry is piling up, should I do it everyday so I don’t have to be anxious about it piling up? These thoughts (and many more) were ubiquitously permeating through my head. We all need to take a step back sometimes. TO LITERALLY BREATHE. Take a deep breath, close your eyes and just quiet down for a few seconds. It’s so cliche to say that we fail to recognize what’s important because we’re too caught up on silly and petty things. But it’s true. We all know that – yet we always seem to forget it when we’re revelling in those moments. So this Holiday season when you’re with family and friends, put your phones/tablets/gadgets down, for God’s sake, and talk to each other. Catch up, play games and when moments turn into awkward silences – ask each other what color underwear you’re wearing and which color you have the most in your underwear wardrobe. Or something. I’m sorry if this post was non-cohesive. I really just wanted to say… ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE! And don’t ever take your health for granted.

1. December 23, 2014 / 2:28 pm

Oh Shari I had no idea your stomach pain had gotten so bad! Feel really sad and worried for you right now! I hope it’s nothing serious and you get better in time for Christmas! Poor thing can imagine what it must be like! :* Lots of love to you and Merry Christmas! I hope Santa takes away all worries and pains and makes it all better for you! *hugs*

• January 2, 2015 / 11:46 am

Hi Divy!! Thank you so much for all your messages. I hope you had a wonderful Holiday season! 🙂 This 2015, I hope we get to know each other more 😉 Thank you for being such a great online friend *so cheesy but true* Let’s aim for a meet up in the next few years, no? 😉

2. December 23, 2014 / 2:46 pm

Get well soon, Shari. 🙁

• January 2, 2015 / 11:48 am

Thank you Marielle! Hope you had a great Holiday season. Happy new year!! :*

3. December 23, 2014 / 3:43 pm

Aww so sorry to hear you’ve been so ill!!! I hope they’ll figure it all out soon. I won’t be allowed to stare at my phone when I spend time with my Belgian family over Christmas, so no worries there 😉

• January 2, 2015 / 11:50 am

Thanks for the well wishes, Sunny! Hope you spent your Holidays wonderfully with family! 🙂 Happy 2015, woman – can’t wait to see what’s in store for Mostly Sunny this year!

4. December 23, 2014 / 5:31 pm

The most important thing is your health, please look after yourself Shari! I understand we all have stress and it can take it’s toll but like you said remember to breath and just take a moment. My sister is a mum of 2 little boys and gets caught in trying to do everything, but she said she likes little positive reminders that she can get through the day. Happy Holiday Shari and get well soon 🙂

Hanh x | hanhabelle

• January 2, 2015 / 11:54 am

Thank you, Hanh! I sometimes overestimate my strength, LOL. But then ultimately, it’s my constant state of worry that gets to me. I like your sister’s little positive reminders, I shall keep it in mind this year. It sounds like such a shallow thing but it really goes a long way. 🙂

5. December 23, 2014 / 7:07 pm

Sending you love, positive vibes, and good health! I resonate to everything you said in this entry. I hope you feel better!

• January 2, 2015 / 11:55 am

Hi Justine! Thank you so much. Hope we become less worried, stressed and anxious this 2015! HAY! 🙂 Like what a commenter said below, “small positive reminders” 🙂 Happy new year, babe!

6. December 23, 2014 / 7:15 pm

I feel you Shari. It seems like the stress is so high recently, and inadvertently for me I take it out on the nearest people which is definitely bad. We all need to relax and just enjoy life. You’re in my thoughts, and wishing you a speedy recovery and a Merry Christmas!

• January 2, 2015 / 11:57 am

YES, exactly. I feel bad for my husband who I might have made my figurative punching bag for all that I’ve gone through last month. Thanks for the thoughts, Pat. Glad I was able to see you and have tea with you guys before I crashed. 🙂 Missed the Xmas party, boo. Hope to see you soon! Happy new year!

December 23, 2014 / 11:18 pm

I hope you get well real soon! And that you feel loads better on Christmas Day. 🙂 These past few days had an added school stress but I’m glad it’s finally Holiday Break. I get to spend some time at my aunt’s and enjoy with my cousins. #muchneeded

• January 2, 2015 / 11:57 am

Hi Rayray! Thanks so much, all better now. Hope you had a terrific Holiday break with your family 🙂 Few more months ’til your summer vacay! Plan it well 😉

8. December 24, 2014 / 2:08 am

Get well soon, Shari! 🙂 Sending you happy vibes and virtual hugs! 🙂

• January 2, 2015 / 12:36 pm

Thanks for the happy vibes, Jhanzey! Got them!! 🙂 Hihi. Happy new year!

9. December 24, 2014 / 2:50 am

Get well soon, Shari! I hope you have a much needed relaxing holiday. Sending you lots of love!

xo Shayne

• January 2, 2015 / 12:36 pm

Shayne! Thanks so much for the well wishes. Hope you had a wonderful holiday season! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

10. December 24, 2014 / 2:51 am

oh my goodness Shari!!!! I really hope you feel better soon b/c this is literally crippling you! HUGS ACROSS THE INTERNET!!! i wish i could bring you some chicken soup (which probably would do nothing…but at least its for the gesture).
    i really hope you get to spend christmas with your friends and family dude….im worried! 🙁

• January 2, 2015 / 12:41 pm

Those were dark days of my life. UGH. I will never wish it upon anyone! Those intense stomach pains were torture. 🙁 Thank you for the hugs and well wishes Jenn ( I would’ve looooved that chicken soup!!!). I’m better now! Lots of medication and painkillers involved. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND DAVID!! You guys are so cute, just watched your video!

• January 3, 2015 / 4:57 am

thanks shari .yea we did one. it will be up in january. it was not the best lol. i mosty was annoyed with him and he was mostly annoyed he had to do it. we di the ‘boyfriend tag’ too which will go up in feb.

11. December 24, 2014 / 8:38 am

Get well soon, Shari! Hoping you feel much better for tonight’s festivities. And happy holidays to you and your lovely family. 🙂

• January 2, 2015 / 12:42 pm

Thank you ER!!! Hope you have a safe delivery!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! 🙂 My bebegurl is a January baby too! Looking forward to your beautiful angel!

12. December 24, 2014 / 12:04 pm

I’m so sorry, my little sweetie! I hope so much that the pain fades away soon and your doctors can figure out what the hell is going on! I am sending you huge hugs and wishes of feeling like a human again. And you’re so right – who cares about selfies angles or which steak pic really “captures” it? Health is everything! Love you, my sweet friend!

• January 2, 2015 / 12:45 pm

Krisssten! Thanks for the well wishes, I appreciate them so much. Never taking my health for granted from now on! 🙂 Hope you had a wonderful holidays with your family and I look forward to what 2015 has to offer us! Love you K!!

13. December 24, 2014 / 2:29 pm

Get well soon Shari! Merry Christmas to you and your family 🙂

• January 2, 2015 / 12:46 pm

Thanks Janine! 🙂 Hope you had a wonderful Holiday season! :* Happy 2015!

14. December 24, 2014 / 4:42 pm

awww get well fast Shari! Merry Christmas! ^_^

• January 2, 2015 / 12:46 pm

Thanks Hollie! Happy new year, dear!

15. Lily
    December 24, 2014 / 6:47 pm

Health is definitely very important. To manage stress, I learned to say “the heck with it!”. Sometimes we just gotta let go even though it’s difficult. I hope you get well soon Shari. May the holidays be a happier and better one than when you wrote this post!

• January 2, 2015 / 12:48 pm

That shall be my 2015 resolution, “TO HECK WITH IT”. Thanks Lily! I hope you had a merry holiday season 🙂 Not taking my health for granted this time. Happy new year to you and your beautiful family!

16. December 25, 2014 / 1:03 am

Sometimes taking a deep breath truly is the most important thing you can do! Sending all of the peaceful, healthy vibes your way. Have a lovely Christmas, Shari! xo

• January 2, 2015 / 12:48 pm

Thanks Jen! Happy new year, babe! :*

17. December 25, 2014 / 7:24 pm

Ugh, that sucks 🙁 Feel better soon, Shari, Merry Christmas!

• January 2, 2015 / 12:48 pm

Thanks, babe! :* Happy new year!

18. December 25, 2014 / 11:39 pm

Get well soon Shari
    Praying for your good health

• January 2, 2015 / 12:48 pm

Thank you Krithi! I appreciate that. Happy new year!

19. December 26, 2014 / 3:15 am

Feel better Shari. :Lots of hugs and positive thoughts your way!

• January 2, 2015 / 12:48 pm

Thank you Agata! Appreciate it 🙂 Happy new year!

20. December 26, 2014 / 10:49 am

Happy holidays Shari! Don’t let stress eat you away. Listen to your body, the moment it tells you that you need to rest, then rest. Will be praying for you and hoping that what ails you is something that will pass and never happen again. 🙂

• January 2, 2015 / 12:49 pm

Thank you thank you Doc Nikki , I appreciate it. And good Lord, I do hope it never happens again! Hope you had a wonderful holiday season! Happy new year!

21. Jill (Kyaru)
    December 28, 2014 / 8:57 pm

Shari, my shining makeup idol! I hope you get better as soon as possible. Big, big hugs, beautiful!

• January 2, 2015 / 12:50 pm

Jilly!!! I hope you had a wonderful Holiday season! Thanks so much for the well wishes. Happy new year to you and your family! :*

22. January 9, 2015 / 9:33 am

Holy crud, I hope you are much better by now D: (but I feel you, man. I was super sick and phlegm-y for two weeks during the holidays and I had to cook a turkey for 15 people on one of those days *-*)(but of course, whenever my friends and I get together, we always talk about socks, so that’s close enough, right?) Don’t even get me started on cooking–I usually cook for the family and its challenging coming up with new meal ideas, ugh. Been subscribing to cooking channels on Youtube as of late, and it really helps!

YOU NEED A SKYPE DATE WITH YOUR FRIEND IMMEDIATELY.