SM Beauty Hall

sm-beauty-hall-brands It’s been a long time since my last Counter Knowledge post as my makeup appetite has dwindled in the past months. It’s because I’ve been cheating on makeup with home decor. I’ve been fixing our sort-of “attic” space to be my workspace a.k.a my Lady Cave. It’s a work-in-progress which I may or may not document for a blog entry. Don’t count on it, though – I’ve a million things I want to blog about first. Like my trips to beauty counters and the discoveries which I’m dying to share with you. makeover-cosmetics-philippinesmakeover-cosmetics-philippines2makeover-cosmetics-philippines3makeover-cosmetics-philippines4makeover-cosmetics-philippines5makeover-artist-rouge-shanghai-lipsticksss

Makeover

Cosmetics
My picks from the brand: Artist Rouge Shanghai Express lipstick (worn above), all the single eyeshadows I swatched above, Highlight/Contour compact below.
This brand is very reminiscent of a certain international one, no? The packaging, the typography, even some of the product names. Well, except the packaging is of a lower-grade version – plastic, very lightweight, almost as if they might be crushed into pieces when they fall. The Artist Rouge Lipsticks vary from mattes, satins, sheer glossy and shimmery(!?). I didn’t swatch the ones with glitters/shimmers/GOLD SPECKS! because I couldn’t even dare wear those even if I wanted to. But the mattes and satins are quite good for their price of PHP599. Boldly pigmented in one swipe – almost comparable to the NARS Audacious range (*wink*wink*) except some of these have a bit more slip. Shanghai Express, the one I tried above, had the least slip. The testers are all brand new so I got first dibs (I still sanitized though as I’m a germaphobe like that).
Some of the eyeshadows (I was able to swatch) are also quite good. I even wanted to get the first three I swatched above right then and there – the brown one in the middle reminds me of NARS Fez. There are a few that are patchy and almost so sheer I couldn’t recognize the shade but some are beautifully formulated – although I find PHP400 for one shade quite pricey. Another product that caught my eye was the Highlight/Contour Kit which was HUUUUGE for a compact. You can probably Kim-K your face up everyday and not run out for the next two years. Overall, if you can get past the flimsy packaging, there are gems to be discovered in this brand.
HUGE BUT: because of the flimsy packaging, I interrogated the SAs on where this brand is from. They didn’t know as Makeover is a new brand that recently entered SM Makati (I think this was available in other SM malls prior). I found through the packaging that the lipsticks (probably the other stuff as well) are manufactured in the P.R.C. – and I don’t know why but for some reason that makes me iffy. I just know this was brought in by one of Divine Lee’s makeup artist friends but where it’s from exactly, I’m clueless.
makeover-cosmetics-philippines6makeover-cosmetics-philippines7 gosh-cosmetics-philippines gosh-cosmetics-philippines3 gosh-cosmetics-philippines2 gosh-cosmetics-philippines4

Gosh

Cosmetics
My picks from the brand: Waterproof Cream Shadow Sticks
Gosh is a European brand I discovered through my sister-in-law who’s not at all in my level of makeup crazy. I rarely see her wear makeup (she has amazing skin so she doesn’t need any) or wax poetic about it. But when we were shopping at SM Megamall last week – she went all heart eyes and blurted “WAIT, YOU GUYS GO AHEAD, I’LL FOLLOW” when she saw the Gosh Cosmetics counter. The next time I saw her, she had this beautiful pink-taupey eyeshadow on which I asked about – turns out it was a cream shadow stick she bought the other day from the Gosh counter.
I wasn’t able to check out the other items because I fixated on the sticks. They remind me so much of the Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks – with less frost. Can’t vouch for its waterproof claims as I removed these a few minutes after (I swatched so many things I ran out of space!!). These are quite pricey, though – around PHP800.
deborah-milano-cosmetics-ph deborah-milano-cosmetics-ph-3 deborah-milano-cosmetics-lipsticks-ph deborah-milano-cosmetics-ph-2 deborah-milano-lipsticks

Deborah Milano

Italy’s Number 1 Makeup Brand
My picks from the brand: Matte lipsticks for PHP599
I was swatching the cream shadow sticks from Gosh when the SA led me to Deborah Milano after I asked if Gosh had any matte lipsticks (they didn’t, they only had matte lip tints). These Deborah Milano lipsticks are true mattes with a touch of cream – but a bit draggy when applied so I feel like they’re more of a ‘true matte’. I tried on the brown shades – the other one (right) more of a sepia than a brown – and they are fantastic. Not drying, not line-accentuating and a matte formula my lips can take. I think I regret not getting the shade on the left (might go back for it tomorrow LOL). The photo with the round testers are the matte lipstick shades – put me off at first because it looked BLEH but turns out the real packaging is different (see photo below swatches -the matte rubbery tubes) from the testers. The plum shade reminds me of NARS Vivien but the real winners are the brown-based shades.
catrice-cosmetics-philippines-2 catrice-cosmetics-philippines

Catrice

Cosmetics
My picks from the brand: Liquid Metal eyeshadow singles for PHP329
Most excited about seeing this brand!!!! Read (and have seen) nothing but awesomeness (no other word to express it, sorry) from Catrice – they purportedly have the most amazing eyeshadow quality for their price. AHHHHHH!!! I think I would’ve bought all the Liquid Metal shades if I didn’t practice restraint to the fullest. The regular eyeshadows are great too – but for PHP100 more, you get FOILED-level eyeshadows (a la Stila Magnificent Metals) for a great deal. I got a few shades – will share them soon!
Did anything catch your fancy? Please do share what you’re most excited about below!

1. November 29, 2014 / 9:31 pm

omigod you basically got all the drugstore brands from around the world! so lucky!! i’ve been wanting to try catrice but they don’t carry it in canada. we do carry GOSH though but none of the other ones.

Jenn

A Beautiful Zen

• December 1, 2014 / 1:22 pm

They are all slowly trickling in here. I’m excited!! I’m sure there are a lot of brands Canada carries that aren’t here 🙂

2. November 29, 2014 / 11:41 pm

Such a nice selection of brands! Those Catrice shadows look incredible 🙂

• December 1, 2014 / 1:22 pm

I cant wait to share my thoughts on them – it was love at first swatch!

3. November 30, 2014 / 1:26 am

Catrice, my eyes are on you! Thanks for sharing, Shari! I always skip going to Megamall’s Beauty Hall because some are pushy and I don’t like it. lol. But will try to check these brands out! Thanks, thanks, thanks!

• December 1, 2014 / 1:27 pm

I just ignore the pushy ones, to be honest – I’m able to filter their words from my ears already. HAHAHA! What I do feel when going to the SM beauty counters is – overwhelmed. By the amount of counters (and products in each of those counters) that I end up not being able to really discover good ones. After 15 mins of going around, to me they’re all the same na so I just skip from counter to counter without really LOOKING. You know what I mean? I really took time the other day though to discover new things and I’m excited (my wallets and bank accounts are not though) I did 🙂

4. Makeup With A Heart
    November 30, 2014 / 3:59 am

The Gosh cream shadows sound amazing and the Catrice wahhhh….

• December 1, 2014 / 1:27 pm

They’re definitely cheaper in Europe – way cheaper compared to Laura Mercier! 🙂 I also find them more wearable as they’re less frosty than most LM sticks 🙂

• Makeup With A Heart
        December 1, 2014 / 1:30 pm

Sometimes I find the frosty look to be a bit much for everyday though they are pretty for the holidays! Definitely going to go stalk some blogs to find swatches of these guys xD

5. November 30, 2014 / 6:20 am

What a beautiful selection of swatches! Everything looks so lovely. I’ve never heard of Catrice but am definitely interested now.

xoxo
    Kelly

• December 1, 2014 / 1:28 pm

Really?! These Catrice shadows exploded in US/UK beauty blogs for a time back 🙂 You should check them out if you could 🙂

6. November 30, 2014 / 8:25 am

Aaaaagh, you’re testing my frugality to the nth level! Everything is just so gorgeous and shiny! Nangangati yung wallet kooooooh!

Ahem. I’m loving the Deborah counter (mentally adjusting to the fact that, no matter how I want to have high Eye-Q, I’ll always be a lip girl first and foremost). I think the middle one would look great on you.

• December 1, 2014 / 1:33 pm

That’s why I felt compelled to share – my self-control was put to the test as well. If I can’t have all of it, I figured I’ll just share it to my readers na lang so I’d live vicariously through them should they purchase any of these HAHAHA. And I love the EYE-Q pun, hihi! I see you’re a true blue LIP-ovitan gurl, *baduy my god kill me now*. I think I tried the middle shade – it’s the one on the right, the sepia-toned 🙂

November 30, 2014 / 10:00 am

I have been looking for a CATRICE counter for so long!! I found one in SM North Edsa but dang, that’s far. I really want to try their liquid liner and eye pencils and their eyeshadows and basically, anything I can! I swatched the Stila Magnificent Metal eyeshadows last Friday and they were mehhh. I had higher expectations. The texture was really odd to begin with and the foil jusy broke off into chunks. Maybe it’s because the one I swatched was already abused and old or maybe it’s because I should have tried it with their primer. Hmmm.. I’ll never know until I try it again.

Btw, I finally swatched some Audacious Lipsticks. I totally lost all appeal for them! What is this sorcery..

• December 1, 2014 / 1:42 pm

WHAT!!! You no like Audacious? How dare you! Haha. Which shades did you swatch? How come you don’t like them? 🙂

I get why you didnt like Stila MM – it doesnt swatch well talaga. You have to mix it with the primer and see it transform on your lids – SHET SUPER GANDA. If you’re not into shimmers/glitters/frost – this isn’t for you. But look how you can use it subtly, as an accent lang:
      http://25.media.tumblr.com/21ae73cb8fa1cd8809ff6e624a480c8a/tumblr_mu4kmahEle1rc58y6o1_500.jpg SO PURTY!! My heart!

PS – hope you enjoyed your birthday!! 🙂

• Raven Ang
        December 1, 2014 / 8:21 pm

I swatched Ingrid, Carmen, Lana and Vivien. Vivien was actually great but the others seemed patchy and weird. Must be because they were already VERY much abused.

I think if I got a Stila MM it’d be Kitten. My makeup skillz cannot handle that level of amazingness.. If only… Haha. Thank you! 🙂

• December 5, 2014 / 2:36 pm

Ahhh!! The dark vamps were patchy and I tested those brand new pa yung testers! :))
          MM Kitten is pretty!!! Pang inner lids, shucks so tempting now that I’ve seen it again HAHA

• December 5, 2014 / 1:43 pm

WAITWAIT Our local stila has MagMetals???

Do you remember how much they were?

Sorry for replying to a comment not meant for me but I’m just too excited hahauhu

• December 5, 2014 / 2:37 pm

Yes, they’re available here! PHP1,350 ata last time I checked. 🙂

And of course, you can comment on any comment gurrrl! Let’s keep the makeup crazy convos going hahaha

• Raven Ang
        December 5, 2014 / 5:26 pm

Yeah! I’m sorry but I wasn’t able to ask for the price. 🙁 You could call up Rustan’s though!

8. November 30, 2014 / 12:53 pm

This place looks absolutely amazing, so many brands! Eep!

Tasha // shiwashiful.

• December 1, 2014 / 1:43 pm

It is every beauty addict’s paradise 🙂 Just add cocktails and we’re GTG!

9. November 30, 2014 / 1:01 pm

I was going to look for a brown lipstick at MAC, but the deborah ones look just as good!

• December 1, 2014 / 1:44 pm

You should try them! Limited shades lang though pero if any of them work for your skintone, super bet!

10. November 30, 2014 / 1:54 pm

I like the look of those Catrice eyeshadows! The Deborah matte lipsticks look nice as well! 🙂

• December 1, 2014 / 1:44 pm

The Catrice shadows are awesome 🙂 I had to resist the urge to get more (OR ALL) haha.

11. November 30, 2014 / 2:32 pm

I’ve become more skeptical with foreign brands. So many of them are made in China pala, that I tend to disregard the brand and look at the box/label first. I’m a little wary of Nyx for that same reason.

• December 1, 2014 / 1:48 pm

‘Cos of this – I’ve been more cautious and wary as well. 😐

12. Becoming Sleek
    December 1, 2014 / 1:43 am

Woooo Catrice is in makati na! Thanks for the heads up Shari!

• December 1, 2014 / 1:48 pm

No prob, Pat!! HAPPY SHOPPING! Haha!

13. December 1, 2014 / 4:55 am

Great finds! Would love to have my hands on these ones, but I have to save up first LOL. Nevertheless, great review!

• December 1, 2014 / 1:49 pm

Thanks Aileen!! You know, I’d love to see what beauty brands are in Belgium that aren’t here 🙂

• December 1, 2014 / 10:17 pm

I guess that’s one thing I can try writing about! Haha! Though I’m not really much of a makeup person/guru >_< We'll see! :)))

14. December 1, 2014 / 1:04 pm

Been hearing so much great things about Catrice as well! So glad it’s accessible now 😀

• December 1, 2014 / 1:49 pm

Right?? I got too excited I almost bought without swatching HAHA exagge, hindi naman :))

15. Marjorie Gavan
    December 5, 2014 / 11:03 am

I was just there yesterday. At first I got a little overwhelmed because I used to go this section for my beauty essentials. So I was a bit lost when I saw that the entire layout has been changed. I’m not complaining though, the place has been improved quite a lot and I love that it now looks more sophisticated. I think I’ve overlooked the Catrice section since I don’t remember seeing it. I’d definitely do some swatches when I go back.

• December 5, 2014 / 2:38 pm

Hi Marj!! Yah super daming changes in a good way ‘cos marami dumagdag! Although it feels more cluttered just ‘cos it’s overwhelmingly plenty! Haha. If you don’t go from one counter to counter, you’re bound to miss some brands!

16. December 6, 2014 / 4:06 am

Deym you look good in brown lipstick. Didn’t age you one bit. Daming drugstore mattes!!! I must NOT go there.

• March 10, 2015 / 1:49 pm

Thanks Rae! Maganda lang yung Deborah browns against my skintone! But most browns are aging on me, too!!

17. Anna De Jesus
    May 17, 2017 / 10:57 am

Does anyone have an idea if ok ang mascara ng Catrice? I heard from a friend that her catrice mascara always gets the job done but I want to hear more opinions on this brand. 🙂

18. Michelle
    October 24, 2017 / 7:04 am

Hi does anyone know where to find Gosh face primer? I’ve been to sm North sm makati, sm aura, edsa shangrila, rustans and trinoma. None.