Lipstick Queen Velvet Rope in Entourage

lipstick-queen-entourage-2 It’s been a while since I subjected myself to the lure of a $50 lipstick. A year ago, I wouldn’t have felt this kind of unease shelling out that much for a tube of lip paint. Thank God I’ve managed to temper my serial impulsiveness as the year passed – else, I’d probably be drowning in lipsticks and palettes (and buyer’s remorse, too) by now. This Lipstick Queen purchase isn’t one of those impulse buys, though. It involved 8 months of holding out since Bea tempted me into looking at Velvet Rope Star System because I was in that ‘pinky nude’ phase back then. lipstick-queen-entourage-3 lipstick-queen-entourage-4 lipstick-queen-entourage-velvet-rope lipstick-queen-entourage-6

The Queen

of the Velvet Rope
As interested as I was with these lipsticks, nothing pulled me more than the brand’s controversial history. How Poppy King built a lipstick kingdom straight out of high school, earned millions making her company worth $6.5M AUD, faced financial controversies leading to the company being bought out and eventually dissolved. How she then left Australia and worked for another big brand (spoiler alert: Estee Lauder), decided the corporate world wasn’t for her so tried to re-establish her empire which we now know as Lipstick Queen, wrote a book about her adventures called Lessons of a Lipstick Queen. I love me a little drama. Sucks me in even more.
But we’re all here for the lipstick, not Poppy’s life (it was rumored that she had personal relations *wink wink* with some of her investors which caused issues and more drama). So yes, anyway, the lipstick – it’s a silky, velvety, very refined kind of matte. Glides on like a cream lipstick without any kind of ugly tugging, feels a little minty on when applied but dissipates after a few minutes. There is a slight peppermint scent too but same as the minty feeling, it doesn’t linger on for a long time.
I love that this lipstick has this smoothening effect on the lips making it feel moisturized and look “flawless” (as when you put on face primer and blur all your pores into hiding). Except when you have dry patches as those get accentuated with more color being deposited onto them. After application, the finish looks a tad glossy but it sets to a more matte finish after a few minutes depending on how many layers you apply.
The pigmentation is incontestable. It is almost as pigmented in one swipe as it is with three. And the best part? It is not at all drying! A non-drying matte lipstick range? Tie me to a tree because that is going to get me bankrupt! It is almost the perfect matte lipstick – for me, at least (because you know my dry lip spells and its past experiences with mattes).
lipstick-queen-entourage-7 mac-rocky-horror-picture-show-compare-swatches lipstick queen velvet rope lipstick entourage 2 lipstick-queen-entourage-swatch
Issues
A little feather here and there is usually okay with me, but ugh, I have trouble with this one bleeding and feathering all over. If you look closely on my face shot, you can see on my upper lip some redness from trying to clean up the feathered part. Of course, a lip liner will solve this but I’m no lip liner advocate and I love me the undone lips look – but then this gets all over my face. Case in point: I wore this to the H&M launch and my sister had to keep checking my face because I kept getting it on my cheeks, on my nose, etc.
I’ve no trouble with lipstick transferring to cups, etc. because I know these formulas aren’t the suck-out-the-moisture-and-cling-on-to-the-lips-for-dear-life kind of mattes which I can not wear on a day-to-day basis. So I can live with lipstick transferring. I’d take that than my lips drying out and cracking-lackin’. But when it moves around so much that I have to constantly check on my face for lipstick on my forehead, that’s when I get a little annoyed. Especially when it’s a $50 tube of lipstick, you know.
That’s my only ish. I still like the Velvet Rope formula – lightweight, non-drying (!!!), pigmented like haaale – so I am definitely not writing it off on my books. In fact, I’m keen on trying out the other shades but the lighter one like which was what I originally intended to get – Star System. Later rather than sooner, though.
Would I recommend Lipstick Queen Velvet Rope? Yes – to those who are hardcore lipstick lovers and are at the collector level. It’s a splurge, a luxury – a worthy one if you aren’t as fussy as me (because my expectations are set a little higher when it comes to bars-of-gold lipsticks like these).

1. November 12, 2014 / 12:32 pm

That’s my kinda shade! It looks stunning on you! But it doesn’t sound like a formula I would invest in.

• November 16, 2014 / 6:05 pm

The formula’s quite beautiful, actually. It’s probably just the application I need to improve on 😉 I know a few girls who own these and said it takes some getting used to 🙂

2. November 12, 2014 / 1:00 pm

Aah! This is BEAUTIFUL on you Shari! Love the vampy color on you perfect for fall! I have one of the Saint lipsticks from LQ and love it, but haven’t really looked at the other lines from the brand. This one though seems extremely expensive!

• November 16, 2014 / 6:06 pm

Are the Saints lipsticks matte, I always forget! Thank you Divya as always :*

3. Katsy Faustino
    November 12, 2014 / 1:05 pm

I almost got this a few months back when I first saw it from Rae. Unfortunately it contains mint which has never gotten along with my lips 🙁 i’m still really curious though so maybe when I have extra, extra, extra moolah to splurge i’ll take the risk and get it

• November 16, 2014 / 6:11 pm

Mint usually also dries my lips out (they have mint on balms and I’m like WHY!!) but this doesn’t have that effect Katsy. Only a slight bit of tingle but it disappears in a few minutes. 🙂 But then again, I’d have to say wait it out til you can try this first because OUCH if you buy then incompatible with your lips pala. 😉

4. November 12, 2014 / 1:31 pm

This is such a stunning colour and looks beautiful on you! I really love the name of the colour, too!

nueyork.blogspot.com

• November 16, 2014 / 6:11 pm

5. Lily
    November 12, 2014 / 4:17 pm

I love the colour, Shari!! But not impressed with it feathering >_< It looks pretty close to Orgeuil and at a glance, quite similar to Bobbi Brown Crushed Plum too 🙂

• November 16, 2014 / 6:13 pm

Actually it does look pretty close to Orgeuil, only this is slightly darker when worn. Also, Orgeuil fades pretty quickly on me which turns into a dark plummy pink shade 🙂 You’re definitely set with BB Crushed Plum, Lily! I, on the other hand, am still eyeing it because I love the BB Creamy Matte formula 🙂

6. Guest
    November 12, 2014 / 4:49 pm

The color is so beautiful, it’s such a shame that it bleeds so badly! Loved the background story of Poppy! I recently got the Jean Queen lipstick, which is really natural and balmy… So lovely! 🙂 xx

Gyudy’s Notes Of Beauty

7. November 12, 2014 / 4:51 pm

I love the color on you, such a shame it bleeds so badly! Loved the background story about Poppy, I recently got the lipstick in Jean Queen, a sheer hydrating one, it’s so lovely! 🙂 xx

Gyudy’s Notes Of Beauty

• November 16, 2014 / 6:13 pm

Oh yes, Jean Queen is a beauty on its own 🙂 Have you blogged about it already? Would love to see!

• November 22, 2014 / 7:07 pm

I wore it in my Natural Makeup Look I posted last week! I’ve been wearing it a lot, it’s so soft and beautiful 🙂 xx

8. Makeup With A Heart
    November 12, 2014 / 5:28 pm

Packaging on this is very glamorous and art deco. The bullet looks so dark and brown but on you is such a pretty burgundy. Sad that it transfers like crazy. I’m looking into Charlotte Tilbury as she has just launched get collection in the US and Stereo Rose is calling to me. ..I got one for my mom but I’m tempted to keep it for myself!

• November 16, 2014 / 6:15 pm

Oh yeh huh – on the bullet it looks like an unwearable dark brown! But yes, when worn (most accurate photo depicting the shade is the one where I’m with another girl (my sister)) it transforms to a dark wine burgundy 🙂 I’ve thought about trying CT’s Matte Revolution line but saw the swatches and my interest quickly disintegrated. LOL. It would be a perfect formula for our moms though!

November 12, 2014 / 5:57 pm

For some unknown reason, this doesn’t appeal to me like it does to others. The color’s beautiful but I just don’t know why… I don’t think it’s because of the $50 price tag. I sold my dignity that day I bought Crimson Noir. Not complaining (much) though. Just saved myself 50 big ones! It looks amazing on you though! I think it’s great that you’re starting to wearing deeper, darker shades rather than sticking to pinks like you used to. 🙂

• November 16, 2014 / 6:17 pm

I should’ve just given you my Crimson Noir – i dont use it all that much. The shade is redder than I wanted it to be. 🙁 On you, though – it is beautiful! Esp with your jet black hair. And yes, I’m so glad I’m out of that pinky-nude nudy-pink rut, I look so much more alive with a red/wine/plum shade!

• Raven Ang
        November 16, 2014 / 9:29 pm

If it’s not Russian Red for me, it’s Crimson Noir. Some days I just need a break from RR and I need something a little easier. Halfway through my tube already!! And on my second Russian Red. 🙂 Ahhhh.. i love reds. And yes!! Plums and reds suit you so well! Especially NARS Vivien. It’s like it was made for you.

10. November 12, 2014 / 6:17 pm

“Bars of gold” lipstick…your post cracked me up Shari… the color looks lovely on you, but definitely a high-splurge for me , specially for now, when I hardly wear any lipstick or else my LO will be completely covered in color… 🙂
    Smita | missprettypink

• November 16, 2014 / 6:17 pm

It looks AND costs like a freaking bar of gold. The packaging is a foreshadowing of its price LOL 🙂 And yes, this isn’t mom-and-baby-bonding friendly at all!! :)))

11. November 12, 2014 / 7:55 pm

Ha!! I had a feeling you won’t like this after your comment on MAC Studded Kiss.

I was also quite surprised with myself for really liking this lipstick. It’s quite slippy and fussy. Two of the things I hate the most with lip products. But it grew on me. I realized that it’s not meant to look even, and it’s not meant to be layered. If you apply a little more than the “right” amount, it will move around and won’t set. So, I just apply one layer on the top and bottom lip, a millimeter or two away from the lip line then I smudge it out.

I also treat it as a matte lip gloss 😀 Not meant to smack the lips together. I still want to get 2 more tubes, private party and black tie.

• November 16, 2014 / 6:25 pm

I usually use one full layer lang – it just moves a lot talaga. Even if it has ‘set’, it doesn’t really fully “set”. I love the lightweight feel, high pigment, non-drying formula though so in general I do like it parin naman. Yun lang, it’s ‘high-maintenance’ in a sense cos you cant just slap it and go. But then, that comes with the territory right? Especially since this is a dark vampy shade 🙂 Guerlain Orgeuil is like this rin! But that’s a liquid lipstick so feeling ko mas may karapatan yun maging feathery and bleed-y :))

• November 16, 2014 / 6:25 pm

Thanks Pauline 🙂 I love reading about brand histories, tbh.

12. November 12, 2014 / 8:20 pm

omg firstly love the background in the photos.

and i’ve contemplating trying out lipstick queen but its not that easy to acquire in stores and i’d rather not buy blind.

as always the colour looks great on you and the vamp is perf for this season, of course.

i’m loving how you’ve described it. blurring, smoothing and not drying for a matte. this makes me curious about them..but yea, i’m too lazy about lip lining too….but doesn’t that come with the territory when it comes to these darker colors? i feel like darker shades almost always warrant a liner, not that i ever use them…

Jenn

A Beautiful Zen

• November 16, 2014 / 6:28 pm

Definitely don’t blind buy! It’s a bit ‘fussy’ so you have to see in person if the formula would work for you before diving in to the $50 bar of gold. LOL. And yes, thanks for reminding me this is how it is usually with darker shades. But the dark NARS Audacious lipsticks don’t feather like this one does so I was quite surprised.

13. November 12, 2014 / 8:46 pm

Hey Shari, stunning photos and I love the shade on you! However, I probably won’t be shelling out 50 bucks on this. I personally can’t handle any feathering and bleeding. I prefer a lipstick I can just put on and forget about without it making a mess!

• November 16, 2014 / 6:29 pm

Thank you as always, Sunny! I share the same sentiments as you when it comes to lipsticks. especially when they cost like a bar of gold! And yes, $50 for this is insane so I probably wouldn’t jump in to buy another one right away.

14. November 12, 2014 / 8:49 pm

Oooooh more reasons to splurge on the TF matte lip color *nudge nudge wink wink*

• November 16, 2014 / 6:30 pm

I WAAAANT. Gurl, minamata ko yung 50 Shades. LASLAS levels!

15. November 12, 2014 / 9:12 pm

Oh, wow! That is one stunning shade on you Shari!

• November 16, 2014 / 6:30 pm

Hi Arianne!! So nice to see you here – THANK YOU!!!

16. November 13, 2014 / 12:14 am

My sister got me a set of LQ lipglosses a few years ago but i’ve never tried their lipsticks. This shade looks great on you but I’m so accident prone, knowing me it’ll be all over my face at the end of the night 😮

Loving your attention to details with these photos, they look like art!

Hanh x | hanhabelle

• November 16, 2014 / 6:44 pm

Thank you for the sweetest compliments Hanh!! And yes, lipsticks like these aren’t for accident-prone ladies like us LOL but a blot here and there will solve the moving around issue so maybe there’s hope 😉 Hehe!

17. November 13, 2014 / 12:56 am

Ah, I’ve been eyeing this one and the shade really is perfection- so pretty on you! I’ve been balking at the price though- definitely a luxury pick 🙂

18. expatmuaddict
    November 13, 2014 / 1:21 am

I remember you putting this on instagram and recognising it! I just bought a couple of the silver screen ones and have two velvet rope-I don’t give them as much love as I should-I still think they’re a bit overpriced tho!

You look so pretty as always

Stacey | Expat Make-Up Addict xx

• November 16, 2014 / 6:46 pm

You are officially THE lipstick queen, Stacey! LOL :)) Move aside, Poppy! I love how you can tell the lipstick shade right away just in photos – that is SKILL! 🙂 I will scour your blog for your LQ reviews – and yes, very overpriced indeed!

19. November 13, 2014 / 5:04 am

First thing off: that packaging! Is. Amazing. (y)

I especially loved the hue on the selfie you took despite you saying that there is ‘feathering’.

• November 16, 2014 / 6:46 pm

If you’ve finished up the lipstick (or if you dont like it) – at least you’ve a bar of gold no? Haha! And eeeeh, thanks Aileen!! :*

20. November 13, 2014 / 11:29 am

Did not know the history behind Lipstick Queen, that was very interesting! I’ve only encountered the other 20 pound lipsticks on Cult Beauty, is this limited edition?
    Anyway, the shade looks great on you, especially when wearing monochrome. 🙂

• November 16, 2014 / 6:48 pm

Leave it to me to dig up a brand’s drama before talking about their products HAHAHA! :)) The 20 pound lipsticks are her mid-ranged, Velvet Rope is her luxury range 🙂 And thanks for thinking so Xuvi!! :*

21. _royalsunshine_
    November 13, 2014 / 11:05 pm

WOAH! Vampy shade! Too bad it feathers badly 🙁 Looks good on you, Shari! 😀

• November 16, 2014 / 6:48 pm

Thanks, Meg! YAH too bad nga. 🙁 But that wont stop me from wearing it and finding ways to remedy the feathering 🙂 Hehe

22. November 14, 2014 / 2:13 pm

OMG!! The shade is to die for!!!! 🙂 I’ve been looking for this shade for quite some time now. This somehow reminds me of Bobbi Brown’s Crimson. The only difference is, this one has a richer shade of red 🙂

• November 16, 2014 / 6:53 pm

Gurrrrl I can already see this on you – sobrang bagay lang! Try mo MAC Sin, available dito (or baka sold out na sa MAC counters). It’s super vampy, too! Saw swatches of Bobbi Brown Crimson – quite similar but this has more “black” so medyo deeper wine/burgundy na to 🙂

23. November 15, 2014 / 7:36 pm

Seriously, I love your blog – amazing quality pictures and very entertaining, relatable writing 🙂 This lipstick looks heavenly – I love the dramatic vampiness of it, it seems appropriate for the price tag and packaging. The formula sounds on point too!

• November 16, 2014 / 6:55 pm

THANKS SO MUCH :’) Words like these inspire and motivate so much!
      I love how you describe there’s drama in its vampiness – so true – especially face-to-face. My husband went, “WHOA” when he saw me the first time wearing this :)) And I wear dark shades a lot recently that he’s grown accustomed to it. :)) Not to this dramatic one though LOL

24. November 16, 2014 / 7:45 am

I can never pull off something like this but on you Shari, MYGAHD! So gorgeous! I like the one Rae reviewed instead. Hehe

• November 16, 2014 / 6:56 pm

GURRRRL that is what I said when I saw shades like these before too (being a strictly nude/pink loyalist) :)) But it will transform you! Haha. True though, look at where I am now – in a vampy rabbit hole digging myself deeper and deeper until it’s hard to get out :))

25. Annabel
    November 16, 2014 / 7:53 am

Not sure I would make the purchase, especially as I couldn’t pull the colour off too often. But, it looks stunning on you, and I love the encryption on the bullet!

Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

• November 20, 2014 / 10:15 am

I had the same thoughts but I’ve worn it so much already :)) Thanks Annabel!

26. Joyce
    November 19, 2014 / 10:04 pm

Where is Lipstick Queen available?

27. December 1, 2014 / 8:44 pm

That is such a beautiful colour! About the feathering issue, you might want to try one of those transparent lip liners; you can put it around your lips so you know it won’t bleed out of the line you’ve drawn.

• December 4, 2014 / 1:48 am

I might just cave and get me one of those transparent lip liners because I’ve been so into bold colors lately 🙂 Thanks for the push, Carla!