Benefit Bling Brow + Interview with Jared Bailey

benefit-bling-brow-jared-bailey-misty-mom I know what you may be wondering… “What in the world are those sparkling dots under my brows?” And maybe even, “Who in the world will wear them?!”  Well, I did. And 1990s Gwen Stefani did. Although it looks like something that would only probably work in catwalks during Fashion Week, I applaud Benefit for taking the bold brow trend to the next level – making it available for us to try out, even if it seems remotely far from our beauty comfort zones. benefit-bling-brow-jared-bailey-interviewzbenefit-bling-brow-jared-bailey-interview2benefit-bling-brow9
“Having perfect brows is like finding the right bra. Think about it.” – Jared Bailey
I, together with Nikki and Sabs, had the opportunity to sit down with the ever-effervescent Jared Bailey – the Spokesperson for Global Services of the brand – and pick his brain for almost a good half an hour. Jared candidly talked about how Benefit began before it even started – a mere carnival attraction where Jean and Jane groomed their schoolmates’ brows to raise money for a project as “they weren’t kissing no boys for a $1!” And even as they opened their first legit store in San Francisco, they continued offering their brow services. And now, the brand is one of the most renowned brow groomers in the world having shaped 2.5 million brows and counting.
Jared discussed briefly their Brow Mapping technique which is a rough guide for brow shaping, done since the 60s until now. It’s also something you and I can follow and do on our own. I asked if such a technique is suited for all face shapes and sizes – and Jared believes it does. Doesn’t matter if you have a larger or smaller nose, closer set or farther apart eyes – the brow mapping technique will follow the natural symmetry of your face. I’ve seen a lot of brow maps that try to emulate this but this is the most basic one – and something that won’t rack your brain too much just to groom your brows.
A few points: 1. The first step’s base point is not outside the nostrils but on the inner corner of your nose. This is what most people missed as they think all three base points lie outside the nostrils. 2. Groom your brows sitting up, not lying down. 3. When having your brows groomed, follow the brow mapping technique/natural shape of your brows. Then if you want to do a trendy brow look (Korean brows, etc), do it with brow makeup.
“If I had to pick my favorite Benefit product? Gimme Brow, been wearing it daily since it was created. -Jared Bailey
Twitter questions:
Carina asked, “My brows don’t match but they each suit my mismatched eyes. Do I reshape them to match or just stick with the natural shape?” Jared answered, “Suit the shape according to each of your eye. That way it sort of brings symmetry to your face. Don’t focus too much on getting them even. As they said, brows are sisters not twins.”
Gia asked, “What’s the rule of thumb for matching eyebrows to hair color?” Jared replied, “There’s generally a suggestion to keep your eyebrows lighter than your hair, but everything really depends on the look you’re going for. If you want a bolder look, go darker on the brows a la Cara de Levigne. If you want a softer, not too-strong look, go lighter two shades than your hair. So to answer, there is no fixed rule!”
benefit-bling-brow-jared-bailey-interview3Bbenefit-bling-brow-bloggers-intbenefit-bling-brow14benefit-bling-brow0 benefit-bling-brow2 benefit-bling-brow3 benefit-bling-brow4 benefit-bling-brow11 benefit-bling-brow12benefit-bling-brow5 benefit-bling-brow benefit-bling-brow13benefit-bling-brow-jared-bailey2 benefit-bling-brow-jared-bailey benefit-bling-brow6 benefit-bling-brow8benefit-bling-brow10benefit-bling-brow-bloggersbenefit-bling-brow-styles
Photos by me. Photos of me were by the event photographer.
So on to the Bling Brow – speckled Swarovski crystals you can style to suit your need to “accessorize” your brows. Yes, that is a thing now – especially with the bold brow trend that I’m sure isn’t bowing out anytime soon. Personally, I shy away from bejeweled anything on the face. I find that I have to check on them from time to time to see if they haven’t fallen off my face yet. And especially Bling Brows because ummm… Swarovski crystals!
But for very special occasions where I feel like I can do with a touch of sparkle, I think I have no qualms sticking these studded crystals on (and maybe share them with my friends so we all look equally blinged up). For everyday wear, though – I don’t think I can get away with it. It’s just not my style. I do believe there are trendy, into-fashion, adventurous girls who will rock this like it’s a set of pearl earrings. I mean, there is a metallic tattoo trend going around that encompasses every kind of girl I know, so who knows? Maybe Bling Brow can catch on.
Bling Brows is available as a complete kit for Php1,300 but you can try the Benefit in-house service which is Php100/crystal. It comes in a few shades – rose and greige being my favorites. Thank you Benefit Philippines team for another successful, always fun and engaging event! I think the photos can definitely speak for themselves, no?

1. November 21, 2014 / 11:40 am

This is such a wonderful opportunity! Bailey looked fun and cool to be with! Thanks for sharing his beauty knowledge! Same here, I can wear these blings on special occasion lang siguro. But I am interested to see girls wearing this around the malls. Sana I can spot one soon! hehehe! Stay glam, Shari!

• November 22, 2014 / 10:48 am

It was, indeed!! 🙂 J. B. was so kalog, I wanted him to be my BFF! Hahaha. Can you believe he started “working” for Benefit when he was 12 years old? He’s been with them for 10 years now!

Onga eh, I want to spot these worn in malls but here in Manila, I think unless a really popular artista or fashion blogger sports it – no one will take the plunge to wear it so casually 🙂 Maybe ako na! PUSH KO TO!

November 21, 2014 / 12:49 pm

Your brows looks so fab! Haha. If I was ever in the mood, I would go for the Big Time Bling. 😉 So sad I missed your tweet. I wanted to ask a question about my brows that’s been bugging me for so long now. Jared seems like such a cool guy! Would’ve loved to meet him if I had the chance. 🙂

• November 22, 2014 / 10:52 am

What’s your brow question, maybe we can tweet it to him or IG him! He’s game to answer 🙂 And my brows were done by the Beneladies – they used Brow Zings, Gimme Brow and High Brow. Grabe, you’d love chatting with him. He’s so animated when he talks, you’ll get hooked in right away! Embodies Benefit and everything about the brand perfectly!

3. November 21, 2014 / 2:48 pm

Love Jared! Learned so much from him in the brow workshop I attended in Trinoma, especially since he gave me a random one on one tutorial on how to put on some blush properly (sobrang random no, I was there for a brow workshop biglang blush haha)!

• November 22, 2014 / 10:54 am

Love it that he’s hands-on! Nagkwento siya samin ng embarrassing moment niya in Paris one time about foie gras – laughtrip!!

4. November 21, 2014 / 7:43 pm

Oh this looks like so much fun!!! I really need to lay my hands on Gimme Brow soon. I saw the Maybelline version in the drugstore earlier this week, but I don’t have a lot of faith in the brush (most probably too big for my brows). I love the way they did your bling brows! That actually looks fun and not over the top!

• November 22, 2014 / 10:55 am

I use the Maybelline Fashion Brow one with the circular-ish wand – is that the same think you saw? I actually enjoy using the brush because it deposits just the right amount of product in my brow hairs and it’s easy to wiggle it in 🙂

• November 22, 2014 / 2:33 pm

Yeah I think that’s the one! OK I might give it a go then. I’m a little worried I’d get the product all over my eyes except for actually in my brows :p

5. November 21, 2014 / 10:27 pm

What a fun event! Your brows looks fab and those little jewels are such a pretty touch! xo

• November 22, 2014 / 10:55 am

Benefit events are always a lot of fun – but this was extra special for me as I got the chance to pick a brain behind the brand 🙂

6. November 22, 2014 / 12:02 am

Jared looks so fun and engaging and pogi! 😀 I think these blow blings would look great below the lower outer corner of the eyes too.

• November 22, 2014 / 10:56 am

Ahh yes, a few girls had their blings done in their inner / outer eye corners! Maganda nga 🙂 And yes girl, ang pogi ni Jared! Para siyang Hollywood celebrity in person lalo – both his face and his aura!

7. November 22, 2014 / 2:22 am

I definitely want to try Gimme Brow. Also, I love your photos! 🙂

• November 22, 2014 / 10:57 am

Thank you Xuvi!! Gimme Brow is a must-try Benefit product especially if you have sparse lashes!

8. jgpangi
    November 22, 2014 / 12:49 pm

Looking gorgeous as always, and the shots are amazing. It looks like great fun 🙂

Also, you can really see how much bloggers invest in their cameras, heehee!

• November 23, 2014 / 4:38 pm

Hi Jill!!! Long time! Thanks for dropping by 🙂 And yes, most of the bloggers though have mirrorless cameras na. Ako ito, still sticking with my SLR – super heavy haha.

9. November 23, 2014 / 3:27 pm

I can barely get false lashes on, let alone brow bling. :)) But this is the sort of fun beauty thing that suits Benefit’s image to a T.

• November 23, 2014 / 4:38 pm

I think this is less stressful to put on than false lashes, tbh! This is just stick-on and go! False lashes on the other hand… SIGH.

10. Steph gods
    November 23, 2014 / 11:32 pm

Wow what and awesome event!! sana maka attend ako ng ganyan someday 🙂 I love the studded brows cool for parties!

• November 25, 2014 / 2:39 pm

Yes, perfect for the upcoming holiday parties nga! 🙂