Powder Power with Ellis Faas Powder Compact

ellis-faas-powder1 I’ve been quite averse to powder products for the longest time (just recently warmed up to the idea). That’s no secret. I seem to enjoy sporting the ‘dewy’ (treading oily territory) look even if my combination skin is begging for some dusting of powder already. An overly matte face just isn’t my cup of tea. This Ellis Faas Powder Compact* is anything but.  ellis-faas-powder2Bellis-faas-powder4ellis-faas-powder5

The Lowdown

I’ll get right to it – the powder is very lightweight with light coverage – almost as if it’s a blot powder in terms of weight with coverage that’s of a light foundation. It’s super smooth and creamy to touch. See how it melds into my skin on the swatch above? That’s nothing yet. It doesn’t look special when you get it, especially since it comes in a tin pan refill which you buy separately from the Ellis compact. But oh God does it transform on the face. The Ellis compact, since we’re on the topic comes in a sleek, silver circular case and a screw-on top. It has a substantial heft to it, but not so much at all that it feels like you’re carrying a boulder in your bag. The tin pan comes with a double sided tape underneath that it’s easy to stick onto the case. A powder puff that perfectly sits on top of the powder is also included. Back to the powder itself – I’m amazed that it manages to cover up a bit without looking the least bit powdery. My sister was mind-fucked for a good minute and tried to assess if I had liquid foundation or powder on because I told her I wasn’t wearing anything except concealer on my undereyes to which she replied, “no way“. So she inspected. A minute after, she goes “K fine. So what skincare are you using? Gimme some of that.” Told ya, it’s virtually undetectable. The powder doesn’t hide pores, though. As I said, the coverage is light – so if you need full coverage, you’d have to wear medium-full foundation underneath this. This is perfect as a setting powder for those who wear a minimal base (just sunblock or tinted moisturizer or light BB cream). Not to mention, this is a great touch-up powder as well – the small compact makes it extra convenient to lug around. A definite change in my daily makeup routine, this powder made. Mainly reserving powders for highlighters, blushes and eyeshadows – I can say I’m a changed woman having used this compact more often this month alone than I have in the entire year. And that’s not an exaggeration. ellis-faas-powderB

Final Thoughts

See what I mean? I definitely need a little powder in my life. The photo without is how I usually look 90% of the time – using sweat/natural oils as highlighter. I don’t know why I feel that looks good. Natural, yes – but begging for a blot of paper towel as well. After a layer of patting on the Ellis Faas powder, I get that natural-looking mattifying effect. You can zoom in if you want, I assure you no caking happened. No photoshop, either – even though the after looks airbrushed, no? But nope, that is all Ellis Faas powder. I also have to note that I’ve used this almost daily this month but I haven’t broken out from this at all. And because I was intrigued by this addition in the ingredient – I gotta share it. It contains brown seaweed extract to provide fatty acids to the skin – giving it suppleness and firmness. More plus points about Ellis Faas – their brand conscience. They do not test on animals, only on supermodels (Ellis Faas products are runway favorites!). They also have a playful and creative recycling program called War Child Organization – where they recycle their famous pen/bullet packaging and collaborate with artists/designers to give back life to these bullets by their artworks which they will then exhibit and auction off. Excited to try out more products from the brand. You can find Ellis Faas products at their websiteSelfridges, Beauty Bay. Have you tried any Ellis Faas products?

*PR Sample **Affiliate Links

1. October 22, 2014 / 4:12 pm

This sounds amazing! I love a light coverage but can be lazy when it comes to applying foundation, so this sounds like the product for me.

nueyork.blogspot.com

• October 30, 2014 / 9:34 pm

Then this is perfect for you, babe!:*

2. October 22, 2014 / 7:21 pm

! ok the photos speak for themselves yea?

i hate that i can’t get Faas here in canada. or at least i haven’t found a store that carries them yet… 🙁 been eyeing some of their clicky pen packing. and this sounds so interesting!

Jenn

A Beautiful Zen

3. Anne
    October 22, 2014 / 8:24 pm

Anong shade mo sa powder na toh ms shari?

• October 30, 2014 / 9:38 pm

S401 🙂

4. Joanna R.
    October 22, 2014 / 9:48 pm

wow you have flawless skin! hope you can share your skincare routine soon. Even with your non-powdered face, you look beautiful. grabe ms. shari, your skin is my goal. will wait for your skincare posts.

• October 30, 2014 / 9:38 pm

Wow grabe naman, thank you – religious serum application lang! 🙂 Will do soon!

5. October 22, 2014 / 10:15 pm

This powder sounds amazing! I have combination skin too so I might give this a try 🙂 And I agree with you on your original notion on powders!

• October 30, 2014 / 9:39 pm

Riiiight? 🙂

6. October 22, 2014 / 10:55 pm

What a lovely, natural finish! Have so been wanting to try products from this brand! xo

• October 30, 2014 / 9:39 pm

Check out the beautiful belt packaging they have for their bullet type pens BELOW. I posted it as a reply to Jenn’s comment 🙂

7. October 22, 2014 / 11:13 pm

I definitely need this powder in my life. But since I am currently enjoying my MAC MSF, di muna hahaha

• October 30, 2014 / 9:40 pm

Oh yes, enjoy your MSF! I like that one, too! First powder to really convert me to powdering – I use it as a finishing powder pero hassle dalhin to touch up. 🙂

8. October 23, 2014 / 11:12 am

I feel like I need this powder. My face gets oily most of the time.

• October 30, 2014 / 9:41 pm

This is perfect then! But if you want something more accessible, MAC Blot powder is the solution – no added product, just takes away the shine/oil 🙂

October 23, 2014 / 6:17 pm

I have a love-hate relationship with powder. Some days I use it, some days I don’t. I sometimes get so annoyed when I look like such a cakeface even though I barely used any. So translucent is the way to go for me! I’ve also been trying my Diffused Light as a setting powder. It’s okay so far. Gonna try it out for a few more days because it’s SEM BREAK (next week). Hehe

• October 30, 2014 / 9:43 pm

THIS never cakes! Galing lang talaga. I don’t know I guess I haven’t tried a powder like this lang kaya I’m amazed – it slightly conceals without really covering up your skin but leaves it beautifully matte. Can’t explain properly LOL. The Hourglass powders can NOT keep my oils at bay – it’s really more of a finishing powder to give dimension back to your face but not oil-controlling. I can’t imagine using it for blotting/touch-up either 🙂

10. October 25, 2014 / 12:40 am

<3 <3 <3 Ganda girl!!

• October 30, 2014 / 9:50 pm

THANKS GURRRRL :*

11. October 26, 2014 / 2:51 pm

Powder-less, parang Korean beauty ang peg. With Ellis Faas, there’s an oomph to it. Dunno if that makes any sense. :)) Lucky you! Either way works on you. I look downright oily w/o powder, and with too much, my cheeks dry out. (Curse you, combination skin!)

I just got myself transparent setting powder from Laura Mercier. I’ve always used powder to set, but I’ve been having issues with the color. What good is getting the foundation color just right, if the powder color messes it up? My face got tan again, so I couldn’t use the pale powder I have. At least the shade is universal na.

• October 30, 2014 / 9:46 pm

Korean beauty is super dewy though! As in their skin looks super moisturized and plump like – I feel like it can make ‘popping’ sounds when you pat it :)) I love a good transparent setting powder but most I’ve tried leave me ‘overly’ matte : And yes, I hate when powder messes up with foundation, too – esp when it lightens your whole face!

12. October 27, 2014 / 11:51 am

Hmm…I like what it does for sure! I always set with powder or else it’s highway to grease fires. This powder does look pretty effortless yet…extra special?!

• October 30, 2014 / 9:47 pm

I guess I just havent tried a lot of powders so discovering new ones always surprise me still 🙂 I love this one because it doesn’t really cover up my skin but it does conceal a little as well as give me a matte look that doesn’t scream MAKEUP!

13. October 28, 2014 / 2:57 am

But… but… I love your photo without the powder. Especially now, after the magic of the face serums you’ve been using. It doesn’t look dirty-greasy.

Maybe in photo ops, better yung may powder, but your dewy-bordering-oily look, I really really like in person (e.g., nung offline blog sale, ganda mo!) 😀

• October 30, 2014 / 9:50 pm

REAALLY? YAY. Well, I really did think my powder-less face looked okay (as in I prefer it) but putting them beside each other – ang dugyot ko pala tingnan! I prefer my powdered face more – cleaner, less dugyot. Haha. But thank youuuuu for the compliments on my skin, I didn’t think it’d clear up again like this because of my intense breakout last year. :'(

14. Tate Collins
    July 4, 2015 / 5:54 pm

Hi Ms. Shari, where in the phil can I find this Ellis Faas Powder s401?