Hottest Lipstick in Town: NARS Audacious Lipstick in Vivien

slider-nars-vivien Undoubtedly the newest lipstick craze in town, the NARS Audacious range is surely the most talked about lipstick release at the moment. It’s in lieu of the brand’s 20-year anniversary and features 40 (forty!!!) gorgeous shades to choose from. Thank God I’ve a much higher EQ now compared to the week before a year ago, else I would have left that counter with more than one tube and less self-worth.   nars-audacious-vivien3 nars-audacious-vivien5

Audacious Vivien

The first thing you’ll notice is NO RUBBERY PACKAGING! YAY! I mean, NARS gets street cred for that matte, rubbery packaging because it’s understated class, minimalist glam or however else you wanna call it but man, it’s a dust/fingerprint/cotton/loose powder-magnet. I even regret not keeping most of the compacts in their boxes. I think when the Makeup Gods were teaching packaging tips, Francois Nars was busy perfecting his intersecting logo. Anyway, the Audacious lipsticks are now in a black metal case with a smooth matte finish. Did I mention the cap is magnetic? I think I officially have a thing for magnetic closures. It must be the satisfying click I hear when it shuts close. The magnet is quite strong that the lipstick even doubles as a loose-change tree. Need some coins? Grab your lipstick.

FORMULA

So let’s talk about the formula because the whole world seems to have found their perfect lipstick in this range. It’s crazily pigmented in one swipe with a dash of creaminess that doesn’t leave your lips feeling dried out. No drag, it’s as if you’re applying butter, in just a slightly thicker consistency without the grease. It’s not so lightweight that you forget you have lipstick on because you do feel these on. But they glide on the lips smoothly and evenly in almost full opacity on the first layer. Some shades have a semi-matte finish, some glossier than others but the range overall is of the satin finish. As so, they do give the lips a slightly fuller appearance than normal. They are not super drying but they aren’t moisturizing, either. I’m so thankful my lips don’t crack or peel with this lipstick on, despite reapplying several times a day (mostly due to my incessant snacking). nars-audacious-viviennars-audacious-vivien2nars-audacious-vivien-lipstick

SHADE

Out of the 40 overwhelming shades to choose from, I narrowed it down to around 8 lipsticks – which I asked the SA to sanitize each properly so I can try them on. I passed on getting another deep red, Charlotte, because my husband said “you have so many lipsticks of that shade“. Newsflash: I only maybe own 1 or 2 but wear it more often than other shades so he thinks I own a lot. I also considered Bette, a vampy shade but he tells me, “I don’t like deep dark shades so don’t ask me how I feel about it on you“. K, NOTED. I’m going back without you to get it. I didn’t want to get a pink or a nude shade (even though I loved Anita so so much) because it’d have to compete with the other nudes/pinks I want to finish up ASAP. I almost left without anything on hand when the SA suggested “How about plums, ma’am?. One swipe of Vivien and I threw my wallet to surrender. I had nothing like it – a medium to dark plum with red undertones. Vivien is perfect for when I don’t feel like going all-out red but want a bolder lip color other than pink or coral, which are too bright and summery. It made me wonder why I never picked up any lipstick in this shade before. It’s something I could call my signature shade – even more so than a pink or a red lip. Also, I love that i’s the kind of shade that I can wear on its own, without any stitch of makeup on. The shade is quite hard to capture on camera, though. I’ve been wearing this out everyday since I got it that it hasn’t left my purse at all. In photos, it looks different depending on the lighting. On the photos above, it looks brighter because of the sunlight so I took a photo away from the window (see below) and it’s the closest true-to-shade capture of Vivien. nars-audacious-vivien-lipstick-2 nars-audacious-vivien-lipstick-3nars-audacious-vivien4B The only shade of plum I have left in my stash that’s close to NARS Vivien is MAC Craving but it’s less pigmented and has more pink in it. On my lips though, Craving (Amplified) appears opaque in two layers while Vivien is full-on in just one swipe.

Slight Issues

My only complaint with Vivien is longevity and minor transfer. After 4 hours, it fades off and isn’t as bold as when it was first slapped on but it does leave quite a strong matte ‘stain’ after (provided you didn’t eat a full meal). It also doesn’t fully set on its own which in turn, causes slight transfer issues. After a full meal, you’re left with either no more lipstick on or with the dreaded lipstick halo – I’ll take the former, please. So yes, lip liner or the highlight-perimeter-of-lips trick should help with the feathering/bleeding issue. Also, during my counter visit, I noticed that the darker shades of the range have the tendency to apply patchily than the lighter shades. I swiped on Liv (or was it Jeanne?) and it skipped one whole area of my lip which has just freshly peeled! I didn’t experience this with the lighter shades though (the ones I’ve tried). But other than that, it’s one of those lipsticks you feel like you can’t complain about despite the minor issues. nars-audacious-lipstick-vivien-swatchnars-audacious-lipstick-vivien-2nars-vivien-lipstick

Final Thoughts

I think the NARS Audacious lipsticks hit home because of their solid formula, stunning and unique, not to mention wide range of shades and great marketing. While I do love Vivien with all my lustful lipstick heart, I think it’s hardly revolutionary. I mean, there are other lipstick formulas that are quite like this namely the Bobbi Brown Creamy Matte range (just lacking in unique shades but longer lasting), MAC Satin range (but drying), Guerlain Rouge G (pricey) — I can go on. But the timely release, the carefully curated shades, the boldly pigmented formula as well as the quite-affordable-even-if-it’s-pricier-than-usual cost fueled the hype – making it more irresistible. It certainly doesn’t help that putting it on feels like you didn’t go wrong with the purchase – because as I mentioned, it’s beautifully formulated. But then again, as much as I love Vivien – I’m saving the other Audacious shades in my list only for when I need a pick-me-up (Lord, do space those down days far apart from each other, please).

Have you picked up any of the NARS Audacious lipsticks? If yes, what did you get? If none (yet?), are you interested in any shades?

• October 17, 2014 / 2:36 pm

Thanks, Div! I love it, too 🙂 A LOT! Been wearing it everyday:)) Never mind if I’m just going to the grocery! LOL

1. October 17, 2014 / 1:53 pm

Beautiful shade, Shari! Ahhh I am done shopping for this year pa naman but I NEED THIS! And Vanessa and Audrey and the list goes on! SHOCKS! hahaha!

• October 17, 2014 / 2:52 pm

My pick contenders were Audrey, Charlotte and Anita 🙂 Vanessa washed me out 🙁 If you can hold out, do so. But NARS counters here are selling out on the shades already, not sure if they’ll restock soon. 🙁

2. Bea
    October 17, 2014 / 3:45 pm

“I think when the Makeup Gods were teaching packaging tips, Francois Nars was busy perfecting his intersecting logo.” This truth right here.

Is this the shade you’re wearing in the sneaker + skirt combo post? It looks gorgeous on you. I like that it’s a somewhat unusual pick (from the usual pinks and reds). Also, what are you doing with your base makeup, because it’s been looking more amazing than usual!

• October 20, 2014 / 5:36 pm

Yes, that was Vivien 🙂 Was tempted to pick up a red but decided against it thanks to Enzo haha.

Aw shucks thanks B! My base makeup here is actually just the NARS concealer on my undereyes + around my nose (redness) and finished with the Ellis Faas powder all over. My skin has been behaving lately (knocks on wood) so I’ve been skipping out on foundation these days. Hope you’re having a blast in Londontown!! :*

3. DandelionWhiskers
    October 17, 2014 / 3:48 pm

this looks lovely on you! i want one na huhu but i can’t decide which one to try first. :p

• October 20, 2014 / 5:41 pm

Hi Wiji!! Group them into pinks, reds, plums, nudes and see which ones from each family you like 😉 I cant wait to see which one/s you’ll pick!

4. Janie
    October 17, 2014 / 5:35 pm

What base and finishing did you use here? It’s great, if I must say:-)

• October 20, 2014 / 7:02 pm

No foundation, just concealer (NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer) + Ellis Faas powder.
      Thanks so much!

5. Janie
    October 17, 2014 / 5:35 pm

What base and finishing powder did you use here? It’s great, if I must say:-)

6. October 17, 2014 / 5:50 pm

I like how the color looks very sophisticated. It looks like a cross between MAC Rebel & MAC Captive. Very pretty!

Loving your brows, lately, too Shari!

• October 20, 2014 / 8:38 pm

It’s my first time to encounter MAC Captive ah! I agree – a cross between it and Rebel nga. Captive sorta looks like Craving too, only darker.

And thank youuuu – I finally had a Browhaus session after how many months kaya they’re more tame! 🙂

7. October 17, 2014 / 7:28 pm

Shari! I think you can take a pass on bb crushed plum for now. 🙂

• October 20, 2014 / 8:44 pm

Yah, my thoughts too! 🙂 I’m looking at the new shades of the Creamy Mattes now – the nudes! I still like it vs. Audacious but the square packaging of Audacious (!!!) haha

• October 28, 2014 / 2:59 am

Para kasing lip balm tong creamy mattes! Sana kagaya na lang nung packaging ng rich color (?) lipsticks. <3 square lipsticks!

October 17, 2014 / 7:42 pm

Ohgosh that is beautiful. I actaully narrowed down my Audacious Wish List to 6 (mostly reds of course!) But looks like it’s gonna be 7 now. 😉 And you could just see how creamy it is!! In your picture of it swatched beside Craving it has “creamy lines”?? I don’t know what to call it so let’s leave it at that.

• October 20, 2014 / 8:48 pm

Collect them all, gurl!? Hehe. I think if I’m picking up more – I’ll just get a red, a pink and a nude. But I’m not even gonna think about which shades because I’ll just feed my want for it more (and I don’t even want to pick up more anytime soon!) :)) Super daming nice reds – I’m sure you’ll have a party swatching them in counter, Rayray!

The creamy lines – yes! Looks patchy because of my poor swatching skills :))

9. October 17, 2014 / 8:22 pm

I have yet to try a Nars Audacious lippie, Vivien looks like it can be my shade! Thanks for the review, you look stunning as usual. Xox

• October 20, 2014 / 8:49 pm

I think with your extensive collection Sara, this isn’t something new at all to you BUT if you’re itching to try one, you won’t go wrong with the formula 🙂 Love that the shades are diverse yet wearable 🙂 Some are even unique!

10. October 17, 2014 / 8:44 pm

Hey Shari, OMG it’s a plum! It looks FANTASTIC on you! I can totally see why you love Vivien so much!

For the moment I am not planning to purchase any of these. I think the non-hydrating aspect disappoints me a little too much. There are so many hydrating highly-pigmented cream lipsticks around that I don’t really feel I need to try these. But then again, the shade range is impressive indeed!

• October 20, 2014 / 8:51 pm

Thanks Sunny!!:) I love the shade so much, too!
      And yes, you definitely DON’T need to run out to get these. It’s just that these exploded everywhere and I was in the stage of wanting to see what all the hype is about. 🙂 The shades are beautiful though so it was even harder to resist!

11. October 17, 2014 / 9:02 pm

Vivien looks amazing on you! 🙂 I got the shade Audrey when they were holding a make-up workshop with Jenny Smith and I fell in love with everything about the lipstick. Also what other shades are you planning to get? 😀

Catpacking | Beauty & Travel

• October 20, 2014 / 8:52 pm

Audrey almost came home with me. It is gorgeous!! Have you posted about it? Shall scour your blog for it. The other shades I’m planning to get are Anita and Charlotte 🙂

• October 21, 2014 / 3:07 pm

Oh I see! I haven’t but I plan to soon! And good choices – Anita would seem perfect as an everyday lipstick! 🙂

12. October 17, 2014 / 9:09 pm

This is such a stunning, quite unique shade! Looks gorgeous on you. The shade range of these lipsticks is amazing, and I agree that they’re so creamy and pigmented. I don’t have one yet but I would love one! I’m not sure it’s completely worth the money though, because as you said, there are others out there like it!

Tasha // shiwashiful.

• October 20, 2014 / 8:59 pm

They really are as you described them – spot on. Not happy with the price increase but it’s a solid upgrade so it should be negligible. But still!

13. Becoming Sleek
    October 17, 2014 / 11:56 pm

So.Ganda. My shortlist of shades are Vivien, Audrey, and Vera. Hopefully they will still have stock when I’m ready to buy, huhu!!

• October 20, 2014 / 9:00 pm

Beautiful selection but they’re quite close to each other Pat 😉 I tried those three rin – Vera and Vivien are super close.

14. October 18, 2014 / 2:56 am

I am so tempted to get some of these, but, but… I have a lot of lipstick tubes already, and I am running out of space. Huhu… Next time na lang, pag talagang di ko na kaya magtiis. Also, they are permanent so no need to hurry! 🙂

• October 20, 2014 / 9:03 pm

What a beautyblogger dilemma – can’t buy more because I’ve got no more storage space for these! :)) Haha. Oh, our problems!

15. October 18, 2014 / 3:41 am

I really want to pick a colour but it’s so difficult to choose one based on online lip swatches, arghh … Love the colour you’ve picked and the packaging looks awesome! 😉

X Alice

• October 20, 2014 / 9:14 pm

It is – you really have to swatch in person to see the shades! 🙂 Thanks, Alice!

16. October 18, 2014 / 1:05 pm

I want Anna so bad! It’s on my wish list fo sho. Vivien is SO YOU. I LOVE it on your face! I also find shades that are hard to capture on film to be some of the most interesting chameleons in the makeup jungle. OMG, the conversation with your husband cracked me up! That could have been my husband. He is not a fan at all of “dark” lipstick, but I’m a huge fan of it! “I’m going back without you to get it.” Absolutely, LOL! I relate! 🙂

• October 20, 2014 / 9:15 pm

Anna is such a nice shade, but it didn’t work for me! It pulled out my yellow tones too much, same as Dominique did. Lilac is so hard to pull off for my skintone, ugh! And yes, it’s always “FUN” makeup shopping with the husband.. mostly it’s him saying what he thinks and me responding, “YOU WOULDN’T UNDERSTAAAAAND”.

• October 21, 2014 / 9:34 am

LL! Shari this comment is everything and I’m cracking UP at the last sentence!!! YES!! 😀

17. October 18, 2014 / 3:09 pm

AHHH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL COLOR :3 there are so much shades it’s so hard to choose which one I really want the most! I’m kind of leaning towards getting Charlotte, though. But I still have enough willpower to keep myself from actually getting it already. xD

• October 20, 2014 / 9:16 pm

Charlotte is quite close to Diva so I think you can skip on it! Try swatching in person ‘cos it’s hard to eyeball it from the computer screen lang! 😉 LOL talagang papapuntahin ka sa counters eh noh.

18. October 19, 2014 / 8:36 am

Love the formula of these lipsticks! This shade is made for you, Shari- and so lovely for Fall 🙂

• October 20, 2014 / 9:16 pm

Thanks for thinking so, Jenn!!! 🙂

19. October 19, 2014 / 10:50 am

“Francois Nars was busy perfecting his intersecting logo” SOLID. But seriously, is there even such thing as fingerprint free packaging?? I seem to get fingerprints on everything unless it’s cheap plastic. (I…just realised high end makeup packaging is basically fingerprint magnets) I actually picked up Charlotte last night! (….but for a friend, SO) Seriously loving Vivien on you though!!! (AND QURLFRAN, YOU GO BACK THERE AND GRAB BETTE)

• October 20, 2014 / 9:18 pm

COUERLFRAN, I SHALL. Even if I have to lug along my toddler who’s starting to get into her Terrible Twos and doesn’t want to walk 😐 😐 LOL! Actually, that’s true but some are just MORE dirt magnets than the others. I’m actually okay with fingerprints – it’s loose powder and everything else that stick on to the NARS rubbery packaging I can’t stand!

20. Katsy Faustino
    October 19, 2014 / 7:47 pm

I wanted to get a nude kaso Barbara looked scary at the counter but looked really nice in the photo I took of me wearing it. Anna, Anita, and Vivien were sold out when I passed by. I was really curious to see Vivien in person as you posted on IG your fotd wearing it. Looks like the perfect everyday shade! But then that’s always my excuse when getting a new one LOL – I swear I’ll wear this everyday………..

• October 20, 2014 / 9:25 pm

Where was this? When I got Vivien, marami pang stocks. I was the 2nd pa lang ata to get Vivien – it wasn’t as mabenta as the reds/pinks/nudes. Hmm, havent seen the photo of you wearing Barbara (shall check your feeds). And yaaah, the ultimate excuse to buy “BUT I’LL GET A LOT OF USE OUT OF THIS!” :’)) In fair, I wore Vivien for one week straight already :))

• Katsy Faustino
        November 5, 2014 / 11:40 pm

Vivien was out of stock in Shang. I think they still have in Gateway where I got Jane. I haven’t tried it out yet waaa scared as I bought it without ever swatching it coz they don’t have testers for the NARS Audacious in Gateway.

21. October 20, 2014 / 7:57 am

yes yes beautiful beautiful but….yea. not jumping to get one just yet ’cause i do have a few solid pigmented lippies already.

BUT HELLO BLUSH PAIRING.

spot on lady. SPOT. ON. (psstt what is the blush?)

Jenn

A Beautiful Zen

• October 20, 2014 / 9:25 pm

Oh yes, it pairs SO well with the blush – NARS Dolce Vita. 🙂 I even like the lipstick MORE when I saw how it looked with the blush LOL. Thanks Jenn!

22. October 20, 2014 / 4:19 pm

Saw this same shade on Mariana of thebeautybee. It has a completely different impact on you. Mas playful. Pretty all the same. I’m afraid to look at Audacious swatches because I might end up wanting one. 😮

• October 20, 2014 / 9:28 pm

I’ve yet to read Iana’s review on this 🙂 I think it’s because it’s a great match against my skintone – kaya it’s really essential to try it on before buying eh (provided it’s sanitized WELL!) because a slight tone variation, it’d look completely different na. 🙂 Thanks Marielle!

23. October 22, 2014 / 11:16 pm

This is on my list! Di na ko makapaghintay. I need my first tube!! Huhuhu next week talaga, push na

• October 29, 2014 / 6:44 am

Can’t wait to see what shade you’ll pick!! Feel ko one of the vampy ones – or if not, red 😉

24. October 30, 2014 / 10:20 pm

This is such a useful post for me because I was eyeing Vivien. I have to do so without going to the counter since we don’t have one here. So I have to travel to France to do that, long story short, you have a great in depth review which is honest. That color looks so good on you though! Now I see this is my second comment on this post lol.

25. December 19, 2014 / 3:59 pm

How do you sanitize lipstick testers? When I buy lipsticks, I just swipe them on my arm and take a leap of faith because the thought of putting testers anywhere on my lips is just icky.

26. December 27, 2014 / 10:31 pm

I love this line! I got Dominique but this was definitely on my list. This looks so pretty on you. I was also starting at Anna & Anita. ^_^

27. Kaikeline
    October 17, 2015 / 5:57 am

I know I’m a year late but do you by any chance remember what lip liner you wore with Vivien? I have a vast selection and can’t find one I’m happy with.