MAC Rocky Horror Picture Show Collection

mac-rocky-horror-collection-cover-final

MAC collections are coming out left and right these days – some are majorly overwhlemed they can’t keep up that they give up, others are struggling to keep up but love the brand so much they want at least a piece of the newest collections – and then there’s me. Probably the last to know from true-blue-MACaholics on Twitter, hearing it without really paying attention – but whenever something catches my fancy, that’s when I pick up my MAC magnifying glass and go into full Sherlock mode.

mac-rocky-horror-picture-show-swatch

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Halloween Collection
There are some MAC collections we can relate to more than others. For example, I hunted high and low for the MAC Archie Collection lipsticks simply because I spent my childhood saving my allowance so I could buy Archie comics every week in National Bookstore. The Simpsons collection, however, swept like a cold breeze in my face that I just crinkled my nose at it and moved on.
Rocky Horror Picture Show was almost just another one of those breezes. But a peek at that Twitter photo with the lipstick swatches had me googling the collection pronto. Never mind that I didn’t even know what Rocky Horror Picture Show was – fyi, it’s a 1975 musical comedy horror (I repeat, comedy horror) film about a loving couple, a few monsters and a transvestite from transsexual Transylvania. Someone watch this with me, I’ll provide popcorn.
You can check the whole collection in the pros’ websites – Temptalia, Makeup and Beauty Blog – as I only have the Greasepaint in Black* and Frank ‘n Furter lipstick*.
mac-rocky-horror-show-swatch-greasepaintmac-greasepaint-black
MAC Greasepaint Stick in Black
My first time to try a MAC Greasepaint Stick – because honestly, I haven’t even heard about these until this collection. Too. focused. on. their. lipsticks. Anyway, these sticks are multi-purpose – they can be used as eyeliner, eyeshadow base or even full-on eyeshadow. I tried all three and there is a slight learning curve to it.
They glide on like smooth eyeliner but have the crease-resistance of the MAC paint pots. The texture is not greasy as the name suggests – it has a tiny amount of slip just for even and non-draggy application – you can smudge it for a few seconds to your heart’s content but once it sets, it’s almost un-budgeable. Almost because even when it’s dry, you can still smudge it but with a lot of effort. It also has the tendency to dry up so if you over-apply, it may flake and smudge on its own.
The shade Black isn’t jet black – it’s a darkened purple black that adds a nice dimension. The shimmer isn’t very apparent when worn as compared to the swatches above where you can really see them. I liked using this as an eyeliner best because it doesn’t smudge the whole day unless I rub my eye unconsciously. Had to keep sharpening though because once the tip flattens, the lines drawn become thicker.
I also tried using it as an all-over eyeshadow and smudging it out (see below) – and I’m surprised I like it! Smudging with the fingers was doable but messier than I anticipated (ended up with smudges all over my face) so best to do it with a small smudge brush or even a blending brush.
mac-rocky-horror-picture-show-frank-furter-lipstick mac-rocky-horror-picture-show-swatch-frank-furter
Matte Lipstick in Frank ‘n Furter
Frank ‘n Furter isn’t my top lipstick pick in this collection – Sin is, as it’s a dark vamp I don’t have yet. But I’ve had my eye on Sin even before this collection, I just couldn’t get myself to purchase it because MAC matte expert Rae told me it may not be the matte for me – what with these stubborn, sensitive peely lips I’m blessed with.
Frank ‘n Furter was my second no-brainer, definitely-me pick because it’s a deep raspberry wine shade that my lustful lipstick heart automatically covets. Not sure if it’d be unique among my stash (like Sin would be) but its matte formula won me over. Because of this, I officially think MAC mattes should have subcategories.
Frank (shortcut, plz) has a slight creaminess to it that it applies evenly without drag, but not so much that it leaves a sheen on the lips. Full attention please: it is not drying (!!!!) as I left this on the whole day and it didn’t make my lips crack or peel. Hallelujah! Speaking of the whole day, this stayed on for around 5 hours with a meal in between fading ever so slightly. Around the 7th hour and xx glasses of juice later, it leaves a beautiful reddish stain.
On the photos, it looks brighter because of the lighting but I tried my best on the face shots to show how it really looks on me. Quite dark, wine more than raspberry but when blotted out – appears the opposite. I also swatched Frank beside my other reds and it looks unique to me. The only issue I encountered – being a matte, it clings on to dry patches and peelies so key is to exfoliate as with most mattes.
mac-rocky-horror-picture-show-compare-swatchesmac-rocky-horror-picture-show-compare-swatches2mac-rocky-horror-picture-show-swatch2mac-rocky-horror-covermac-rocky-horror-asian
And because it’s halloween..
mac-rocky-horror-me 2
FINAL THOUGHTS
I am absolutely pleased with Frank ‘n Furter because it’s been a long time since my lips embraced a MAC matte. The Greasepaint – I will have to use more so I could put a dot on my thoughts but so far – I like using it for my waterline because it lasts and lasts without fading in a blink of an eye. I also find that when I don’t rub my eyes (bad habit, sorry), this is as unbudging as eyeliner can get. I even have to use a bi-phase makeup remover for the swatch I did above because micellar just doesn’t cut it. Have a happy halloween weekend, everyone! Did anyone pick up anything from this collection? Do share!

1. October 30, 2014 / 10:17 pm

Oh you look so gorgeous, but then you always look like this!

I love FnF lipstick, it complements your complexion so well!

• October 31, 2014 / 12:53 am

Thank you Sara!! :* Too kind! And yes, FnF (better shortcut than Frank LOL) is a good match for my skintone! 🙂

2. _royalsunshine_
    October 30, 2014 / 10:50 pm

Looks good on you, Shari. 🙂 I bet this is sold out already. Haha.

• October 31, 2014 / 12:58 am

Thank you dear!!! 🙂
      I won’t be surprised if this is sold out na – it’s such a beautiful shade!!

• October 31, 2014 / 12:59 am

It might be sold out na daw – i read on Twitter rin dami naghahanap nito! 🙂

• October 31, 2014 / 10:23 am

Mikkii!!! Thank you 🙂 Di ko maafford si Sherica kaya tiyaga tiyaga nalang on my own haha!

• November 1, 2014 / 6:56 pm

I just purchased pala two lippies from this coll. Sabi sa store, not available daw the greasesticks. Whered u get yours? =)

3. Elka ♥
    October 31, 2014 / 6:25 am

Ms. Shari, you look like Ellen Adarna in the photo just above the phrase “and because it’s Halloween…”
    Hehe! Gorgeous. ♥ Ansabe ng boxing skills niya sa mommy duties mo, effortless! =))

• October 31, 2014 / 10:29 am

Wow naman Ellen Adarna haha – di ko yan ma-reach girl! :)) But thanks for the sweet words Elks, masyado mo ko pinapasaya! 🙂

4. October 31, 2014 / 8:53 am

Ah, these are such gorgeous picks from the collection! They’re both so beautifully dramatic and you’ve created such a great, smokey look with them 🙂

• October 31, 2014 / 10:29 am

Thank you Jenn!!! :*

• October 31, 2014 / 10:29 am

Indeed! 🙂

5. October 31, 2014 / 11:43 am

DAMMIT. Now I want this AND Lipstick Queen Entourage! WAI SHARI WAAAAI.

• October 31, 2014 / 1:09 pm

Once you go down the vampy lipstick rabbit hole… hayz!!

• October 31, 2014 / 1:09 pm

Thanks Pauline! 🙂

6. October 31, 2014 / 12:47 pm

Oh Gosh! This is stunning on you with the updo and everything! SO HOT! Wooh! Love it Shari!

TheConscienceFund

• October 31, 2014 / 1:09 pm

Eeek thanks Divya!! :**

7. October 31, 2014 / 2:11 pm

This is off-topic, but that photo of you in a bun looking straight at the camera above the caption “And because it’s Halloween…”? I just saw a little Solenn Heussaff. 😮 The expression kasi. Hahaha!

• November 1, 2014 / 5:07 pm

Graaabe you guys, if I’m feeling sad – I’ll check back on comments here to make me feel better :))) Masyado kayo mabait! Haha but thanks Marielle, it’s probably the expression lang :))

October 31, 2014 / 8:00 pm

BAGAY!!! If Rocky Horror ever played here, I’m definitely gonna watch! When I saw “Greasepaint” my first thought was “STAY AWAY! STAY AWAY!” It doesn’t have the most appealing name but it looks great. How would you say it compares to the LM Caviar Sticks? 😀

• November 1, 2014 / 5:08 pm

I think I would watch too – sounds like a fun musical! The LM Caviar Sticks are much smoother and easy to blend – one of my favorite cream shadow sticks (except the lighter shades – they crease on me agad) ! The Greasepaint sticks are more along the lines of gel eyeliner pencil – parang ganon. 🙂

9. October 31, 2014 / 8:16 pm

Superb shades!! Frank ‘n Furter is what m looking forward to now! Hope its available in india! Sucha winter perfect shade!

• November 1, 2014 / 5:09 pm

I do hope it becomes available – it’s the perfect shade of red for our skintones!

10. October 31, 2014 / 8:23 pm

That lip color looks fabulous on you! You’re giving me compliments, but seriously, girl, you are gorgeous!

• November 1, 2014 / 5:10 pm

GURRRRRL, thanks but we are on different leagues LOL! You’re Hollywood level, I’m more Hollywood underground (the ground beneath the path Hollywood celebrities walk in) :)) HAHAHA

• November 1, 2014 / 7:38 pm

LOL, please! I think you’re hallucinating >_> But I’ll take the compliment, lol!

11. November 1, 2014 / 8:31 am

Waaaait. If they made an amplified finish for Lady Danger, Rocky Horror’s Sin could be different. Didn’t check the reviews, I wasn’t interested in any of the lipsticks from this collection because most of them looked a lot like stuff I tried before, can’t afford any more dupes. Frank ‘n Furter looked a lot like Studded Kiss from a goth-themed collection several months back. Forgot the name of that collection. Also, I’ve been weaning myself off of MAC.

PS Me no MAC matte expert, haha. I’m more like a matte lipstick addict 😛

• November 1, 2014 / 5:38 pm

I think you’ve tried a lot of different MAC mattes to be able to tell the differences – in other words, expert! HAHA! I think they kept Sin in matte form – but not sure if they matte is formulated differently. I think not, though. 🙂 Studded Kiss and Sin are pretty similar from your post so yes – Frank n Furter though is quite different from Sin if Sin is similar to Studded Kiss 🙂

• November 2, 2014 / 11:27 pm

Thanks, Jenn!! :*

12. Lily
    November 1, 2014 / 11:21 am

They came out with these greasepaints a few years back and I bought some. They even smelled like grease >_< Not a fan! And about MAC collections, there are so many, it's always overwhelming. But after a while, it just gets boring 🙁

• November 2, 2014 / 11:29 pm

I didn’t smell mine but I don’t think it was too overpowering because I didn’t catch a whiff. 🙂 I like that it stays put though – lasted long on my waterline without transferring! And that’s true — the collections even overlap each other that there comes a point we just give up even looking 🙂 I like being pulled back in once in a while though – but most times, I’m oblivious to the new stuff.

13. November 1, 2014 / 12:44 pm

It’s so gorgeous on you! I love the colour; it’s dark but not quite like Entourage.
    I’m so tempted with all these Mac collections coming out every minute, I feel like Rocky Horror Picture Show is something I “need” to have. Hopefully, I can talk myself out of it. 😉

• November 2, 2014 / 11:31 pm

Yes, Entourage is quite deeper and darker – but I just love it!! Of course nothing is “need” to have – unless it’s a one-of-a-kind lipstick formula that manages to change color at a snap of a finger or something. :)) I love your name btw, XUVIOUS is so unique!

14. dianne
    November 2, 2014 / 5:55 am

I love the lipstick on you!! 🙂 so beautiful. Just a random question though, what is your normal mac shade? (NC?). And whats your hair color? Just watched your videos and i do love your hair color 🙂 TIA.

• November 2, 2014 / 11:31 pm

I’m NC30-35, Dianne 🙂 Thanks so much :*

15. November 2, 2014 / 11:56 pm

Ha ha! I remember being a kid and stumbling across Rocky Horror on late night TV once and thinking, “What…is…this…???”. It’s a campy classic for sure. I picked up FnF as well and it’s a beauty. I used to try so hard when I first started bblogging to post MAC LE collection reviews ASAP but I wasn’t getting a lot of sleep and it was too stressful. Now I just collect the items I want and don’t worry much about rushing to review them since they’re usually sold out in days or hours anyway. I too went bananas for Archie’s Girls! That was by far and away my favorite MAC LE collection so far! White packaging with red hearts??! That speaks to my SOUL! 😉

16. November 4, 2014 / 5:15 pm