Eye Love This: Pixi Silky Eye Pen in Bronze Beam

pixibronzebeamA2 The moment Pixi Beauty launched in the Philippines, the Silky Eye Pens have always been at the top of my list to purchase after seeing these swatches from Non-Blonde here. But the shades I wanted were always sold out online! So imagine my delight when the curated Pixi Beauty Glamourbox I received last month included one of the most coveted Silky Eye Pens — Bronze Beam*. I guess you could say I was beaming with excitement. Lord, I did not just write that. pixisilkyeyepen pixisilkyeyepen2

The Lowdown

Pixi’s Silky Eye Pens are pencil liners that are just really pigmented and incredibly creamy that they can double as cream eyeshadows. They glide on so smoothly that when you apply with more pressure than necessary, the tip of the pencil may actually smush. Because they are incredibly soft and silky, I thought these wouldn’t be long-lasting and budge-free as claimed. For the first 20 seconds, you can smudge out and blend the liner all you want. After that, it stays put.. the whole day. I couldn’t even smudge these out more even when I tried. I used Bronze Beam below without any base or primer, just to test if the opaque pigment translates to the lids, as well as if there’s any creasing, fading or smudging along the way. And I’m impressed. This stuff really holds on to your lids for dear life the whole day. I normally avoid wearing liner on my lower lashline (even if I love the effect it gives the eyes) because almost all liners smear and transfer by the end of the day. I’m surprised I’ve experienced none of the sort with Pixi. I’ve worn it for 8 hours straight without any creasing, fading, smudging! I don’t think I’ve ever found a pencil slash gel liner that performs quite as well. Even Chanel Stylo Waterproof fades by the 6-7th hour mark on me – and I actually like those enough to keep purchasing them. The eyeliner I’ve tried that feels quite similar to Pixi’s consistency is the Rimmel Scandaleyes eyeliner — both are incredibly creamy and buttery. Except Rimmel smudges on my lower lashline and transfers by the end of the day. pixisilkyeyepen3
Bronze Beam
The shade Bronze Beam is a shimmering bronze with gold microshimmer. Not an entirely unique or complex shade but it’s such an easy no-brainer color for everyday. I even skip out on black eyeliner when I use this as an eyeshadow because it’s just beautiful worn it on its own. I’ve already used this a few times already that I’ve had to sharpen the tip thrice since receiving it.
Minor Issues
One thing about creamy gel liners is their tendency to melt, especially in this bipolar Philippine tropical weather. I stored my Rimmel eyeliner in my drawers and despite keeping it away from direct heat, it just disintegrated. I read ‘makeup hacks’ and found out they’re to be kept in the fridge to keep from melting. I don’t store my Pixi pen in the fridge (‘cos our new bedroom doesn’t really get direct sunlight or heat at any point of the day) but I do stick it in there half an hour before I need to sharpen it. Because even if the tip doesn’t melt, I still find it a bit too creamy and smush-y to sharpen efficiently. pixibronzebeamB2

Final Thoughts

Dang it, I didn’t want to love these Silky Pens because they’re still quite pricey at PHP 740 ($15) a pop. However, I justify that with its dual purpose — gel eyeliner and cream shadow in one! The texture and consistency? Incredibly smooth, silky and a pleasure to use. Blends like a dream in the first 20 seconds and stays put like no one’s business thereafter. Bronze Beam is a bold, everyday neutral that I just love wearing on its own (and I’m usually a twoshadow wearer at the very least!).

Have you tried these Pixi Beauty Silky Eye Pens? What shades are your favorites, if any?

*PR Sample

1. August 20, 2014 / 1:33 am

I’ve been wanting a few of these of ages! And for me the price is a steal because normal eyeliners are more expensive or the same price here which is kinda crazy! I love this shade you have! I’d love to own the blue black and also the khaki!

• August 21, 2014 / 2:01 am

I’m eyeing the khaki one, too. When will our lemmings ever end, Shar!! Haha. Actually, the Rimmel eyeliner here in the Philippines is just $4 cheaper when converted when in reality their price difference should be around $10! So I guess it’s the same situation, too. Crazy mark-up! But then the Rimmel one is just brought in by a stockist – we dont really have the brand here.

2. August 20, 2014 / 1:36 am

Oh this looks a lot like MAC’s Teddy which is my favorite! 🙂 You look so so pretty here!! 🙂

• August 21, 2014 / 2:02 am

I have MAC Teddy, too! And while I did use it for some time, it smudges on me by the end of the day. And it’s a matte brown, no shimmer whatsoever right? I can’t smudge it out easily as well. It’s really just a solid eyeliner for me 🙂

• August 21, 2014 / 3:08 am

No! its a bronze with shimmer! Coffee is a matte brown-black! 🙂 I think you’ve mixed the two up! 🙂

• August 21, 2014 / 3:27 am

Oh my gosh you’re right! ACK! Sorry for the confusion!! 🙂 It is very similar to Teddy indeed – I have Coffee!!

3. August 20, 2014 / 2:51 am

The colour is really pretty. I love simple products for the eyes which are easy to use and apply. It looks great on you~

Thanks for the review, I hope you have a great day! ♥

X x X x X

• August 21, 2014 / 2:02 am

Me too! 🙂

4. August 20, 2014 / 6:46 am

I enjoy these kind of liners/cream shadows! They’re the best tools when I’m in a hurry and I want to put a little more something on my eyes.

Btw, thanks for the ref-before-sharpening tip Shari. That’s the first time I’ve heard of it. It makes sense when you think about it.

• August 21, 2014 / 2:05 am

Yes yes exactly – I love dual-purpose eyeliners. I didn’t think I’d be able to use these as shadows ‘cos I usually have a hard time with cream ones (Chanel’s illusion d’ombres, maybelline tattoos! The only one I had luck with is Laura mercier’s caviar sticks) but they’re actually easier to work with than the ones I mentioned :))

And yup – thanks to this one Makeup Hacks article I read online + a few bloggers mention this tip a lot, too! I decided to try it and despite my hesitance to put ANY makeup in the fridge (I mean together with food and everything else HAHA), it actually works and makes things easier 🙂

• August 21, 2014 / 2:05 am

Indeed 🙂

5. August 20, 2014 / 7:43 am

so as i was reading i was thinking, ok well i dont need another liner so this is all well and good but yea. don’t need. and then you make the point about non-smudge on the lower lash line and i was like SIGH. ok fine..might consider these…
    im not so meticulous about my liners. sometimes i forget which ones work better in which ways and just go based on color.

• August 21, 2014 / 2:08 am

I usually don’t bother with eyeliner pencils anymore because no matter what, they smudge on me. I dont care about the fading issue (cos that’s a given for my oily lids) but I hate the smudge on the lower lids. For some reason, these don’t. And I even expected them to! Cos they’re CREAM/GEL type. The Rimmel ones are the same consistency but dont work with me 🙁 What do you usually use, Jen?

• August 21, 2014 / 2:20 am

i have a couple of clio gel liners. and one from pupa which i use on my lower lash lines. that an some tarina tarantino ones.

6. August 20, 2014 / 8:25 am

I’m always on the lookout for a great new liner – especially a bronze. So many just drag on my eyes and I stress about getting wrinkles or something from it! *eek* The shade of this is gorgeous. I don’t know why I never consider Pixi, going to look at this next time I’m at Target.

• August 21, 2014 / 2:09 am

I agree Kelly. I hate pencils for the same reason – draggy and smudgy and just fade easily. Try to swatch and see how it performs on you, love!!

7. August 20, 2014 / 9:37 am

I bought a set of minis in different colors a while back and to date I still think it’s one of my best purchases! These liners are just like you said, incredibly creamy, and feel more like a gel liner than pencil. They are a bit scary to sharpen, though. When I can I will also put mine in a freezer briefly before I sharpen and that seems to prevent major product loss (they are mini after all, there isn’t so much to begin with!).

Loving the finished look! Your eye makeup is incredible!! ^_^

• August 21, 2014 / 2:10 am

I want to get the set!!! I wonder if that’s available here. Agree, love the texture of this but sharpening them is quite a task – the fridge tip works wonders! I did it with my Rimmel ones that are of the same consistency (but smudge like crazy on me) and they make sharpening a less daunting task!

Awww, thanks Jaaaa!!:) Too kind!!

8. August 20, 2014 / 11:40 am

Ooh! Bronze Beam is a beaut! I loves. This is my favorite color liner, bronzy browns. I think I have too many as it is, lol! I love that this doesn’t smudge on the lower lash line. My most beloved liner ever, MAC Lord it Up Pearlglide (ahem, also a bronzy brown – shocking!) is stunning on the eyes but sometimes the glitter migrates and bothers my peepers the whole time I’m wearing it. This Pixi option looks like a winner. You look so gorgeous in the above photos, Shari! It’s ridic! 🙂

• August 21, 2014 / 2:13 am

Oooh, I’ve never heard of the Pearlglides from MAC. Ugh, too many MAC products (all at once!!) – so little time to get to know them all, LOL! Oh no, glitter transfer is annoying – not the fact that it transferred but that it makes you want to scratch your eye out when it gets into them and in turn – ruin your eye makeup! No bueno. Hehe.

And thank you babe, too sweet 🙂 hehe. I blush!! :’)

9. August 20, 2014 / 3:35 pm

Hi Shari! First of all, you look stunning in your pictures! Secondly, you’ve just sold me these eyeliner pencils. I’ve been wanting to try this but since we don’t have Pixi counters in Belgium I never got around to it. If I’m not mistaken they have a great selection of colours, I’ll definitely be checking those out.

Alice x

• August 21, 2014 / 2:14 am

Hi Alice! Thanks so much for the sweet words!! 🙂

We didn’t have Pixi here as well but the moment they launched, I was ecstatic to try out some items from their range right away. I loved the Brilliant Balms, but I think I’m beginning to love these eye pencils more. They also have shadow sticks I’m planning to try!

10. jgpangi
    August 20, 2014 / 5:34 pm

Ang fierce ng pics teh! Nasaan ang kalaban?

P740 is darn steep for eyeliner, but if it super doesn’t budge even on oily lids like mine, then I’m sold. I kinda want something other than brown though (not that brown isn’t awesome, but it just serves to make me look brown-er :() I wonder if they have jewel tones… time to check out Pixi online!

– kyaruandbunnies.wordpress.com (yay, may blog din me sa wakas!)

• August 21, 2014 / 2:17 am

HAHAHAHAHAHA natawa ako sa comment mo, gurl!! Napatingin tuloy ako uli sa photos ko. Onga, parang “May kaaway ako… Ilabas ang mahiwagang eyeliner!” lang ang happeningz. I wish you could try these in counter first so you can test if they work for you! On me kasi talaga, no smudge – even underneath my lower lashline where major smudges usually occur. 🙂

I’m so happy you finally put up your blog!! I shall read up and subscribe asap. Reading your comments here on my blog actually made me really interested and excited for your blog launch. Congrats gurl and just keep on blogging, k?!

August 20, 2014 / 6:50 pm

Gosh that’s purtyyy. Looks very familiar to the Rimmel Bronze Scandaleyes but with the gorl microshimmer. Such a gorgeous color!! Did you still set it with a shadow afterwards?

Girl I thought you cut your hair really really short. Hehe. And how do you get the edges of your eye makeup so perfectly rounded?!

• August 21, 2014 / 2:21 am

Rayray!! I just blended MAC Wedge on the crease to sheer out the edges 🙂 I super loooove this! Kainis, I want more. I was also actually eyeing their shadow sticks – but then when I tried this liner, parang I’ll stick to this nalang. Double purpose pa. I love this on the lower lashline kasi not as intense as the other dark brown eyeliners I have plus it doesnt budge at all! 🙂

And the ‘short hair’ — I was super tempted! But then I realized it makes my face look rounder 🙁 So baka stick to medium-length hair na lang! Huhu. And the edges of my eye makeup? I usually clean up the bottom of my brows with foundation or concealer or the MAC paint pot afterwards 🙂

• August 21, 2014 / 2:21 am

Yup, they’re available online lang as of now though 🙂

12. August 21, 2014 / 12:35 am

I have tried the Pixi liners out before and they’re nice! But my fave hands down is always the UD 24/7 liner.

xx Alyson
    The Beauty Vanity

• August 21, 2014 / 2:22 am

The UD liners I have yet to try 🙂 Heard nothing but good reviews about them, too!

13. August 21, 2014 / 3:03 am

Wow, these sound lovely! The shade is totally up my alley too- and so pretty on you!. Will have to keep my eye open for them next time I’m at Target 🙂

14. Claudia
    August 26, 2014 / 8:46 pm

This shade is a beauty and it sounds amazing. I just review the Pixi Brown Duo and I love it, it’s amazing, will be adding this to my wishlist!

Claudia xx | Beauty and the Chic