Makeup Play With Estee Lauder’s 18-Pan Eyeshadow Palette + A Few Thoughts On Mega Palettes

esteefotd6 My mom recently handed me down a few makeup products she doesn’t see herself using in this lifetime. One of these is the 18(!!!)-pan Estee Lauder eyeshadow palette included in last year’s Holiday Blockbuster Set. Usually when I see these kinds of palettes, I do a secret side eye. I guess I just have this screwed notion that you should lower your expectations when any palette exceeds 12 shades.  I used to think 4 but that’s too snobby so I will go with 12 to be more kind. Haha. I’m kidding. Anyway, my experience with palettes that are usually this huge in quantity — they suffer in terms of quality. But I guess that’s just my experience with those BH Cosmetics/Coastal Scents Mega Eyeshadow Palettes that are sourced from China and printed with the brand logos/names or repackaged altogether to look more appealing. Now those I totally would not recommend – and not because I’m a snob but because of the ingredients the manufacturers mindlessly used which don’t go through proper quality checks. The questions regarding purity of the pigments, grade of talc, levels of trace metals (lead, aluminum), asbestos use — can only be imagined. We have to infer that since these are mass produced and sold for probably only $6 or even less per palette (I would think that because Coastal Scents sells theirs for $12 and profit margin is usually 50%). From manufacturer’s POV, profit margins go up to 100% making cost of each palette to probably be around $0.06. 88 shades for $0.06! Are you still not scared? estee-lauder-eyeshadow-paletteesteefotd5 estee-lauder-face2 Anyway, at least I didn’t have to worry about those things with this Estee Lauder palette. Or any other consumer brand product, for that matter, as these companies have proper quality control and are regulated by the FDA. So in case you’re wondering why you’re paying so much for these kinds of palettes when you can get others much cheaper someplace else — there you go. It’s the quality control process, the research and development team, the huge marketing campaigns and the innovative packaging mostly.

FOTD

As for this palette – I expected it to be sheer, dry and chalky, to be honest. But most of the shades are smooth, just a tad dry but still completely workable and blendable. I’d do a full review but I don’t think it’s available anywhere else as it was only a promotional palette for last year’s Blockbuster Set. Of course, the overall quality hugely differs from the Estee Lauder quads that are buttery and creamy — but compared to most mega palettes, this one ain’t bad at all. I haven’t tried all the shades yet on my lids, but I used the purple one, the brown one (bottom row, rightmost) and the shimmery white one (top row, 2nd from left) for this look. I paired it with the Rouge Bunny Rouge Delicata blush and Lancome L’Absolu Nu Lipstick in 391. Other products used include K-Palette Eyeliner, Benefit They’re Real Mascara and Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation.

And that’s it! Thank you so much for all the greetings and comments on my last entry regarding my blog anniversary. Good gosh, I feel my heart beating faster while reading each of your comments. I appreciate it a lot, you guys!!!

• August 28, 2014 / 11:40 pm

It’s a versatile blush!! 🙂

1. August 28, 2014 / 11:22 am

Giiiirl hahaha ang ganda ng purple sayo! <3 I hope you play with the other jewel tones! This palette looks really fun. 🙂

• August 28, 2014 / 11:40 pm

Guurrl thanks!! 🙂 I will soon!

2. Yanna Langi Rorintulus
    August 28, 2014 / 11:42 am

I want the palette please!!! Purple looks extra gorgeous on you just add touch of gold on in the inner corner will look even more beautiful.. Xoxo, Yanna

• August 28, 2014 / 11:40 pm

Thanks Yanna, I shall do that next time! Thanks for the reco: )

3. Claudia
    August 28, 2014 / 2:55 pm

This looks gorgeous. I’ve only ever had a duo by Estee Lauder but I still love it! I hate the seriously cheap brands with the awful ingredients, it’s shocking. I threw my cheap BH cosmetics type palette away.

Claudia xx | Beauty and the Chic

• August 28, 2014 / 11:41 pm

RIIIIGHT? I don’t know why some “pro” makeup artists would even use them! 🙁 🙁 🙁

4. Lily
    August 28, 2014 / 4:43 pm

I used to ONLY have a mega palette from EL and thinking back, they were mostly sheer. That was way back before EL revamped their makeup line. I can’t recall where that palette is now. I might have tossed it >_<

• August 28, 2014 / 11:42 pm

I thought this would fit the bill so I was surprised it turned out differently! The other shades (lighter ones) are quite sheer though 😐 The new palettes recently released are proving to be even better!

5. August 28, 2014 / 8:08 pm

Aww what a pretty look! I’m impressed by EL’s gelee formula as well as their new quints, but I never paid much attention to their old eyeshadows. I also love the lippie on you!

• August 28, 2014 / 11:43 pm

I can’t wait to try one of the quints!!! Saw swatches online and they look impressive 🙂 Thanks Sunny!

August 28, 2014 / 9:31 pm

Purple suits you so well!! Right now, only mega palette I’m interested in is a MAC Pro Palette.. but soo expensive. 🙁

• August 28, 2014 / 11:44 pm

Thanks Rayray!! Oh yes, a MAC pro palette. For some reason, I’ve never been interested in MAC’s shadows. :))

7. jgpangi
    August 28, 2014 / 10:18 pm

The purple looks so dreamy on you. The other shades look nice too, a good range of colors..

To be honest, palettes give me attacks of the nerves. Maybe because I don’t know how to use them? It’s like failing in art lass all over again -.-

• August 28, 2014 / 11:44 pm

Tell me about failing art class omygosh. I remember in grade school, ako lang yung only girl that got an F in a project (and a D overall grade) in our whole batch:)) Kahiya lang! I hate art. HAHA

8. August 29, 2014 / 12:45 am

I love palettes. Great ROI in my opinion, since you get so many colors for a fairly reasonable price. Minsan pa napipilit ka to get out of your comfort zone kasi may mga colors na kakaiba sa una pero pag nagamit, maganda pala 🙂 I used to have a neutral palette from Dollface Cosmetics. It was okay nung una kasi I was just starting out with my make up love affair, pero I threw it out din. Now I dont want to go near any generic make up palettes na talaga 🙂

9. August 29, 2014 / 8:58 am

Daaaaang. Purple looks really good on youuu! And that palette is huuuugge!

10. August 29, 2014 / 12:49 pm

I totally agree with your breakdown of cheaper palettes! I’ve own a few before but currently am using none! I throw out make up quite regularly and buy carefully so I don’t end up with so many big palettes of sorts! Love this palette, it’s so beautiful! I’ve never seen such a big palette from any high end brand before but it looks so damn good!

11. September 5, 2014 / 9:26 pm