July Favorites: Plum Cheeks, Red Lips

julyfaves3 ‘Twas a pretty eventful July – for my lips! I’ve busted out my red lipsticks more often than I may have in the past year. It was quite an effort though as I’ve been too attached to my Dior Fluid Sticks that I couldn’t even think about using any other lip product. During the whole month, I realized I gravitated towards glowy skin, plummy cheeks and get this… mascara (something I never bother myself with usually)! Eye makeup-wise, I used the NARSissist palette most (which I should’ve included in this post).   Burberry Nude Radiance. My all-time favorite highlighter. This soft, finely-milled powder is my ultimate bestfriend when I feel ugly, lazy or both. A swipe of these on each cheekbone and I instantly feel pretty~. The feature that separates this from other highlighters? Its microshimmers are so tiny (more like nanoshimmers, cos I’m feeling corny), they aren’t at all discernible even up close. It may have the tendency to appear ashy for those with darker skintones, though. Pixi Beauty Flawless Beauty Primer*. Silicone-free (!!!) and chock-full of Vitamins (A, C, E), I’m sold. It has a pink tinge to it that reminds me of the Guerlain Meteorites Primer I love. I’ve the full review of this in my drafts so I won’t ramble on futher. But I actually like this a lot that I’ve used it almost daily since receiving it – worn with foundation on top or just a slight dusting of powder. MAC Blush Duo in Corol*. Part of the MAC x Pedro Lourenco collection, this blush duo was a surprise love. I don’t care too much for the soft peachy pink part, but I absolutely love the brown-based plum. The texture isn’t as fun to work with though (quite dry and dense) , but the shade is unique in my stash. I find that I don’t need any contour shade when I wear this ‘cos it acts as a subtle contour as well. Because of this, I’m even tempted to go plummier and pick up NARS Sin. Please someone, stop me. julyfaves1 Clinique Lash Feathering Mascara. I’ve been liking this more and more as I use it. It doesn’t give as much volume as other heavy duty volumizing mascaras do, but it gives my sparse lashes more than enough definition I could ask for – while maintaining my curls. It isn’t super wet, and I have yet to experience clumping. I am now keen on trying out their High Impact version (more volume! more length!) which is one of the most-raved mascaras in the beauty world. MAC Viva Glam I Lipstick. My favorite red, always and forever (LOL). A deep Hollywood crimson that’s slightly brown-tinged. It’s subdued in such a way that it doesn’t call out much attention but has this classy-yet-sexy look to it. It comes in MAC’s famous Matte formula that thankfully isn’t as harsh on the lips as their Retro Mattes. Still find it drying after a couple of hours though, but heck – until I find a nourishing matte formula in this exact same shade – I will stand by Viva Glam I. MAC Lady Danger Lipstick. If Viva Glam I is the quiet red, Lady D is loud-and-proud red. I didn’t think I’d have the courage to wear such a bright red (red-orange, at that) but I ended up liking it more than I ever expected. It comes in the Amplified finish, which is creamy but still very pigmented like the Mattes. Still drying for me, though. themistymomred2bthemistymomred1 Wearing all the items mentioned in the photos above. First photo – wearing MAC Viva Glam I. Second photo – wearing MAC Lady Danger. And yes, I’ve gone back to darker hair! It didn’t turn out to be the color I wanted so I’m still trying to get used to it. To be honest, I was appalled at how dark it turned out (I’m attached to my light, ash brown hair). But life goes on – and the husband insisted he prefers this than all the other lighter hair shades I went through. However, I don’t color my hair (nor put on makeup and all that jazz) for him (sorry babe! #truestory) so I’m still thinking of going lighter after two months or so (when my hair has rested from all the dye jobs).

Anyway, care to share your favorites from last month?

1. Icaria
    August 3, 2014 / 1:56 am

Oooo you look gorgeous with darker hair (not that you weren’t stunning before)! Curious now about Clinique Lash Feathering, High Impact isn’t bad but doesn’t hold the curl all the time. I have no idea why but I’ve used it quite lot in the past month before I got a waterproof formula.

• August 3, 2014 / 11:13 am

Thanks, Helene!! 🙂 Lash Feathering isn’t as volumizing, but it can hold a curl! Can you suggest a mascara you’ve used that volumizes and holds a curl? 🙂 I’m forever looking for one and can’t seem to find any yet 🙁

• Icaria
        August 4, 2014 / 12:06 am

One that did great for me for a while was Benefit They’re Real! then Dior Iconic (not the Overcurl but I know it gets loads of love). Recently I was surprised by MUFE Smoky Extravagant but didn’t like the brush. Atm I’m liking Tarte Lights Camera Splashes and although it’s waterproof it isn’t hard to remove. Have you ever thought about heating your lash curler with your hair dryer? Only way my lashes will stay curl even with the toughest mascaras I’ve tried so far. 🙂

• August 4, 2014 / 11:43 pm

I tried heating my lash curler and I almost cried 🙁 It works so well in keeping the curl, though! Just have to make sure not that the upper part of the curler wont touch my lids or else.. YOUCH! 🙁 Thanks so much for the reco, Helene! I will try my luck with the Tarte Lights Camera mascara if I get the chance to grab it!!

2. August 3, 2014 / 2:51 am

Lady Danger with that face and hair is all kinds of AWESOME! 😀 Hot!! The pixi primer really sounds good! Does do anything on pores? Will wait for your review!

TheConscienceFund

• August 3, 2014 / 11:13 am

Aww thanks Div!!! *HEE* It doesn’t blur the pores much, but it’s very glowy in a non-greasy way. I’ll do a review with face shots soon 🙂 Thanks, babe!

• August 3, 2014 / 11:14 am

Havent heard of the Clinique palette, will have to look that up and see for myself 🙂

3. August 3, 2014 / 3:41 am

I’m so glad you included shots of you in the lippies. All of my favorite red lipsticks are from MAC, but I’ve always shied away from the Viva Glam for some odd reason. I guess swatched in the story I wasn’t blown away but it looks beautiful! I never would’ve thought twice about it without those pictures.

Beautiful post!
    xoxo
    Kelly

• August 3, 2014 / 11:15 am

Thanks Kelly! 🙂 Viva Glam I looks boring in tube, but on the lips – BAM. Lovely! I’m sure it’ll look great on you. It does on almost everyone I see wearing it!

4. August 3, 2014 / 4:06 am

I’m kind of happy the MAC blush isn’t available on their website anymore, cause then I’d want to go and buy it lolol

I’d like to try (consider trying?) the primer out sometime – been looking for a non silicone-based primer for a while.

xx becky // star-violet

• August 3, 2014 / 11:16 am

Oh yeah huh, it is out of stock 😐 LOL! It’s okay, babe — $$$ saved!

5. August 3, 2014 / 5:47 am

Hey Shari, I’m loving your new hair! It looks so glossy and smooth! The lipsticks are pretty bold for summer! I never seem to really go for red unless it’s winter, but that’s me 😉

• August 3, 2014 / 11:17 am

Eeek, thank you Sunny!! 🙂 I’m not used to dark hair anymore, been a while since I’ve had it colored this dark. But thank you! Summer is over here and it’s more like a gloomy, rainy mess so red lipsticks serve as my pick-me-up for the downing weather. 🙂

6. August 3, 2014 / 6:37 am

This post made me realize how lovely Viva Glam I looks! I think it’s the shade of red I’m looking for. *crosses fingers* It’s super bagay on you! 🙂

Last month, I discovered the MUFE Full cover concealer, and I’ve been using it ever since. I’m glad it comes in a tube and I find it less drying than the Collection Lasting Perfection concealer. Still, I love both products. <3

Can't wait to read your Pixi primer review! Btw, do you ever experience smudging with that Clinique mascara? So far the 2 new mascaras I've tried smudged on me huhu panda eyes.

• August 3, 2014 / 11:21 am

I’ve recommended this red lipstick to a lot of people and I’ve yet to see it look bad on someone! It’s very flattering across all skintones 🙂 I hope it works for you, too! If you’re looking for a RED, ito talaga #1 recommendation ko! 🙂

I tried the MUFE Full Cover concealer and it works great for blemishes, acne – find it a tad drying on my undereyes, though. But nothing a primer won’t remedy. It’s super full coverage and doesn’t budge! Shade range is spectacular, too. I just find the MUFE SA (Greenbelt) I kept on asking questions about super sungit kaya di ako bumili. 😐

So far, I dont find it smudgy! As in, I’m one to touch my eyes every so often during the day (which is why I dont wear mascara in the first place) but this one doesn’t at all even if I rub my eyes to the point of obliteration (AHAHA).

• August 4, 2014 / 9:05 pm

Oooh awesome thanks Shari! I can’t wait to check out that Mac lippie I feel like it’s the one haha. Yay for firsts! :3

And I’m the same with the eye touching (though more like rubbing – bad haha). Maybe that’s why my mascara keeps smudging. LOL.

7. August 3, 2014 / 11:11 am

I love Viva Glam 1 43v3rr too! In fact, I am about to buy a new tube. Love your photos, Shari! I did not buy a lot of things last month but I am loving the celeteque toner. I love your hair! It matches your brow.

• August 3, 2014 / 11:23 am

Thanks, Laarni!! Dibaaa. MAC Viva Glam I is just the ULTIMATE red for me. Love that you love it 4evzzz~ too! I’ve been using a Celeteque skincare product too – the Back Acne spray!! Yes, I’ve bacne 🙁 HUHU. So far, okay naman!

8. August 3, 2014 / 12:13 pm

LOVE THE LOOK! Love the lipstick especially!

• August 3, 2014 / 1:02 pm

Thanks Sharlynn! They’re two completely different reds- first is Lady Danger, second is MAC Viva Glam I 🙂

• August 4, 2014 / 9:32 am

Thanks Alyson 🙂

9. August 3, 2014 / 2:02 pm

Didn’t know there’s an amplified formula for lady danger. Mine’s matte. And on me, Lady Danger looks like a really bold orange. On most swatches online, it looks red.

• August 4, 2014 / 9:34 am

The Amplified version is LE and part of the Pedro Lourenco collection 🙂 I think if I don’t even out my skintone with foundation or any kind of face base, it will pull out the yellow on me and may appear more orange than red. I’ll try it and get back to you 🙂

• August 4, 2014 / 2:10 pm

They say that with reds, you have to have a flawless face daw. But that’s more true for orange, as inkelangan concealed lahat. Otherwise, madungis, or is it just me?

On your hair color. I think I’m with you on this one. Dark brown still looks good (and low maintenance), pero I like lighter colors on you.

• August 4, 2014 / 11:46 pm

My thoughts exactly. Well, with reds, I just make sure that I conceal dark circles and uneven skin tone. With oranges though, I feel like I have to do more than just that.. maybe put on mascara and pair it with blush pa.

I KNOWWWW. Thanks for the honest thoughts, Rae. Super appreciate it. I was beginning to think ano ba to, ako lang ba ayaw ng dark hair ko. 😐 Haha!

10. August 3, 2014 / 3:17 pm

Ack, always thought that Lady Danger was a matte! Ganda ng Viva Glam I. <3 Haha and ganda ganda mo as a brunette, girl! Pero I know what you mean, we do this things for ourselves, lol. Can't wait to see what color you'll come up with next!

• August 4, 2014 / 9:36 am

Lady D is really MATTE, Carina! They just made an Amplified version for the Pedro Lourenco collection 🙂 Ay thank you naman! I’ll probably go back to my light ash brown hair lang, not really adventurous when it comes to my hair :'( Hehe.

• August 4, 2014 / 11:21 am

LOL I’m dumbbb.

Gets ko yan! Haha it took me years to finally decide to just chop my hair off. Haha as in more than 10 years. Medyo sad?? HAHA.

11. nicole Paler
    August 3, 2014 / 6:06 pm

There’s this lipstick from Tupperware’s colour collection that may be close to the color of your Mac lady danger that comes in matte but is ultimately NOT drying to the lips… color collection’s ultimate wear in temptress.. you should check it out 🙂

BTW I am loving the color of your locks! This is way better for you- you look oozing with power when you were wearing that mac viva glam and way sexy with the lady danger lippie… 🙂

xoxo
    nicole
    ChicMix

• August 4, 2014 / 9:39 am

I checked out review of Temptress and while it does look like a beautiful red, it doesn’t have enough orange/coral tones like Lady Danger. However, I like the formula and I’m curious to check out Colour Collection’s creamy matte – parang Bobbi Brown’s creamy mattes (in swatches!). Thanks for the suggestion Nicole! And thank you thank you for the sweet comments re: my hair! *blush*

12. Erika
    August 3, 2014 / 6:51 pm

No wonder the Viva Glam I is your favorite… it looks amazing on you! I haven’t tried wearing deeper reds yet, maybe soon!

• August 4, 2014 / 9:39 am

You should try, lakas maka-boost ng confidence level! 🙂 Hehe! Thanks Erika!!

August 3, 2014 / 9:06 pm

Red lipstick!! ♥ Only tried Viva Glam I, but it’s next on my never ending to buy list. Lady danger is love. It was the first lipstick I ever wore. Took my mom’s hehe.

• August 4, 2014 / 9:40 am

Hello RAY-D RAY-D (gets? no? Baduy ko!) :)) I know you you know your REDS! Oooh Lady D is your first love? Talaga!? Lovet! Didnt know that. Show me an FOTD of you wearing it! Haha *demanding*

• August 4, 2014 / 9:42 am

Yes indeed! I hopped on over to your blog and searched for you wearing it 🙁 I’m curious how this looks like on everyone LOL

14. August 4, 2014 / 2:01 am

Oh, Viva Glam I. I just recently got mine but I fear that I’m already near the end of the tube. It’s the best red lipstick that I’ve ever tried! 🙂

• August 4, 2014 / 9:43 am

DIVUHHHH. Ugh! Speakig of, I’m really thinking of picking up DIVA soon. But I’d feel so guilty if I do 🙁 Haha. Must finish up a tube first.

• August 5, 2014 / 6:59 am

I want to grab that Viva Glam I~ A lot of you, famous bloggers, are raving about it! >_<

15. Makeup With A Heart
    August 4, 2014 / 4:56 am

Viva Glam 1 looks like the VIB Rouge-exclusive Red lipstick but a whopping $12 cheaper! Might have to get this for the fall 😀

• August 4, 2014 / 9:45 am

I searched and hey – IT DOES! The BITE beauty one, no? Although from reviews, it seems like the Bite one is less drying?

• Makeup With A Heart
        August 4, 2014 / 2:23 pm

It’s a matte-ish finish but yeah, not drying, at least on me 🙂

16. August 4, 2014 / 8:33 am

Hey Shari! I actually really like and think you look sophisticated with dark hair! ^_^ I have been thinking of trying the Pixi primer so I’m glad to see that it’s one of your favorites this month. I’ll keep an eye out for your review! 😀

• August 4, 2014 / 9:46 am

Aww thanks for thinking so, Jaa 🙂 Heehee. And yes, I shall do a review of that soon!

17. August 4, 2014 / 9:39 pm

Dark hair also looks good on you, but I agree that lighter hair suits your features better. Oohh, I love how Lady Danger looks on you! It’s so out there!

• August 4, 2014 / 11:47 pm

YAY another vote of confidence for lighter hair! THANKS AVIV!! 🙂 I’m so excited tuloy to go back to lighter hair… kawawang buhok nga lang, super chemically-damaged na! 🙁 And yes, OUT THERE is the right descrip for Lady D!

18. August 4, 2014 / 10:19 pm

Gorgeous picks! That MAC blush really is stunning and Lady Danger has been on my wishlist for ages- looks fab on you 🙂

• August 4, 2014 / 11:47 pm

Aww thanks Jennifer! 🙂

19. August 5, 2014 / 6:04 pm

The lipstick I got from the Pedro Lourenco Collection was one of my favorites last month as well! I kind of want to get Roxo too. Feels very appropriate for the weather we’re having right now. Haha

On another note, the primer from Pixi is silicone-free? I have to get one na!

20. August 6, 2014 / 2:01 am

i super agree on everything you said about mac viva glam I shari. it’s one of the best beauty products i ever purchased, thanks to you! <3