Dior Fluid Sticks – Game Changer for the First Half of 2014

diorfluidstickCOVERb

The “Gloss” for the Gloss-Averse

It’s not a lipstick, it’s not a lip gloss — it’s a fluid stick. Come again? What in the heck is a fluid stick, you ask? I know, I’m right there with you. I didn’t get the massive hype surrounding these when it first launched and exploded in the beauty blogs globally… until I tried it myself. I’ve mentioned it here in the blog a couple of times so it’s no secret — I’m not a big fan of ultra-glossy lips. My lipgloss stash (if you can call it that) is a sad, sad army of two. But this release single-handedly changed the way I feel about gloss forever. That’s a huge statement I know — but I wouldn’t be throwing it out here if I didn’t believe it. I’m not just adding fuel to the hype, I promise… the HYPE (this time) is real, you guys.  diorfluidsticksdiorfluidsticks4b

The Lowdown

A Dior Fluid Stick combines the rich color pay-off of a lipstick with the brilliance of a gloss. Doesn’t sound so life-changing when you put it like that. But wait, how do I explain this? The formula is quite unlike any lip gloss I’ve tried. The pigment is very close to the YSL Glossy Stains in which both are very pigmented and have almost opaque coverage except — the texture of these Fluid Sticks is very different.
TEXTURE
I hated (such sentiment, I know but iz true) the YSL Glossy Stains because they felt so tacky on the lips and moved around so much without ever setting. The Fluid Sticks are on a much different league — the texture is milky, almost creamy that it feels like plush gel touching the lips upon application. Within a few seconds, there’s a cooling effect that overcomes the lips (not in a minty type of way) that feels as if you’ve whisked ice cold water on your face during a heat wave. Ahhhh… I wait for this effect every single time I put this thing on. As I said, it isn’t sticky at all — but when it wears down, it develops a delightful kind of tackiness (very light and doesn’t call out to your hair strands wanting to kiss them). I know right! Sounds absurd. What is delightful tackiness? Think of a lip balm that makes your lips feel moisturized and ultra-hydrated but has a slight “stick” when you purse your lips together. Kinda like that. Or maybe how a satin lipstick feels on the lips. Beauty blogger and lover friends, please step in now and explain for me. Anyway, the explanation for this sensation? The replacement of wax with water in the formulation. Hence, the name. *excuse me while I feel nerdy giddy that I just made an AWESOME rhyme right there*
OTHER OBSERVATIONS
My favorite part is the settling down — when the gloss wears off evenly and your lips are left with a medium pigmented stain. But before it wears off into that stain, upon first application and when the cooling effect has transpired (which is in the first 20 seconds), it also kind of sets. It suddenly feels more lightweight than when first layered on — that I even feel like I’ve no gloss on at all. Just a satin lipstick that feels like balm. *I know if I read this review again later, I’ll sound like I’m not making sense.* I’ve come to the conclusion that this product undergoes three stages — Full Gloss mode, Semi-Satin Mode, Full Stain Mode. And it lasts for 5 hours on me (with the stain still pronounced and not faded yet) with water and a snack in between. I’ve eaten full meals with these on and the the stain remains (albeit more faded) thereafter. Also, say hello to moisturized lips, ladies. While it doesn’t feel hydrating throughout the wear time as when first applied, it never leaves the lips parched. Have flaky, dry puckers? These will feign juicy, kissable lips in an instant. Trust me, I’ve perpetually beyond-saving dry lips. If you don’t trust me, trust the photos below. diorfluidsticks2dioflruidsticks4bdior fluid sticks
MINOR ISSUES
In the course of two months (almost daily!) usage, I’ve discovered a minor qualm that I think would be an issue for the slap-and-dash kind of gals (which I am most of the time). So I have two shades — Mirage, a coral-tinged beige nude and Magique, a bright medium pink. I find that Mirage (since it’s lighter and not as bold as Magique) is easier to work with in terms of application. It does so evenly in one layer.  And even if I do two, it doesn’t pile on patchily and look overly-glossy because of the build-up. This is because the wand applicator has a tendency to pick up a more-than-necessary amount of product. Which makes for applying the bolder, brighter shades trickier as they apply a bit more patchy than the less pigmented shades. With that, I found that Magique is easy to over-apply if you keep on building it up with more product. And with over-application, the lip lines will come out. I remedy this by applying in very thin layers. Sometimes if I’m not in a rush, I let the first layer dry down a little bit first then apply the second layer. If I accidentally put on too much, I just spread the gloss — either with the back side of the wand (one with no product on) or by lightly dabbing my finger on the heavier patches. Other than this, I’ve encountered no other issues with the product. diorfluidstickinMAGIQUE2 diorfluidstickmirage7

Final Thoughts

I call this a game-changer because I never thought I would be addicted (yes, I am there) to a high-shine lip product (or any other lip product for that matter! Except the Dior Addict Lip Glow which I finished two tubes of, which is coincidentally another Dior product). I mean, I haven’t yet worn any lipstick almost daily for two months like I wore these Fluid Sticks. No matter what bag I bring — medium handbag, small sling bag, even my daughter’s diaper bag — and where, I always have Mirage (or both shades) with me at all times. I’m that attached. Again, I’m more of a satin/creamy matte kind of girl when it comes to lips but I’ve come to appreciate the beauty of high-shine through these. Pigmented, feels moisturizing, fades evenly and leaves a wonderful stain, makes lips look very juicy and hydrated (despite actually being dry)… someone please hold me back from running to a Dior counter now.

Have you tried these Fluid Sticks? Do share your thoughts, ladies!

• July 31, 2014 / 11:49 am

Aw shucks thank you Yshy!! Too kind 🙂 long time ah! So happy to see you here 🙂

• August 2, 2014 / 3:42 pm

So happy to get in touch with you here as well! And totoo naman ang ganda mo! In all of your photos here, actually! 🙂

1. July 25, 2014 / 2:41 pm

These look stunning – I adore Mirage! I don’t tend to go for bold shades in glossy formulas because, as you said, they don’t tend to set down and move around a lot. These ones sound absolutely amazing though!

Tasha // shiwashiful.

• July 31, 2014 / 11:52 am

These ones do dry down and kinda cling on to the lips so they arent of the messy move-around kind. :-

2. July 25, 2014 / 3:44 pm

I love the Magique on you! TBH, i don’t own any lip glosses, I don’t like specifically its application process but this fluid stick is revolutionary! I might actually get a hold one of these when I get a chance. Beautiful photos, btw! Ang sexy lang! xx

• July 31, 2014 / 11:56 am

For me na ayaw sa lipgloss, it’s close to a lip gloss revolution talaga – they arent the usual glosses that dont set and just stay overly shiny! 🙂 You have to at least feel them on your lips Laarns!

3. July 25, 2014 / 3:46 pm

Hindi rin ako ma-glossy! Hehe. I only found 3 gloss formulas I like: both the ones of LMdB (Lip Gloss and Lip Crème) and the NYX Butter Glosses. 🙂 Super not sticky!!

• July 31, 2014 / 11:57 am

Wanna try the NYX butter glosses now that I’m not so intimidated by gloss formulas. Parang puro good reviews yun NYX eh!

4. July 25, 2014 / 3:47 pm

I gave this a lot of thought since I read your tweet… And no matter how magical it sounds, I always come back to why I don’t use shiny stuff. I remembered that it’s not just because they move around or stick. It’s because my shiny face needs contrasting matte lips. Thank universe I’m getting good at ‘not shopping’

That said, I really enjoyed reading this. You sound so happy 😀

• July 31, 2014 / 12:41 pm

Grabe nafeel ba yung excitement ko sa post? haha! Can’t help it. Super in love with this lip product, kaloka lang na ang unang lip gloss na magugustuhan ko pa ay paka-mahal lang. 😐 Will be on the hunt for an affordable option definitely para lang ma-sate ‘to.

I get what you mean – but what I like about this is it dries down and sorta clings to your lip kaya medyo may “tack” and with that, the shine fades, making it look more satiny. 🙂 I don’t like overly shiny lips as well kasi not only will it make me appear oilier, I feel the product will also move around. No problems like that with these though 😉

• July 31, 2014 / 2:26 pm

Parang must-dry pa din, for the experience. Hahaha, will check out the colors 😀

5. expatmuaddict
    July 25, 2014 / 3:52 pm

Shari I am just so in love with you blog!! This is such a great post. I jumped on the Dior Fluid Stick bandwagon as soon as they came out and I really like them-Tiny Pink is my handbag staple-its a pinker version of Mirage. Some of the red ones would look incredible on you xx

You look beautiful as always!! xx

• July 31, 2014 / 12:01 pm

Awww too kind Stacey too kind!! Thanks for the sweet words 🙂 Made my day!

I’m so happy I got into these Fluid Sticks (well not my bank account) because they’re just lovely. Looming to grab some more shades!! Tiny Pink will be on my list to try.

Thanks Stace!!

6. July 25, 2014 / 5:56 pm

I really like my Vie d’Enfer! Have been tossing up getting more, but for now I’m sating that with the Maybelline Color Elixirs.

• July 31, 2014 / 12:02 pm

Ooooh Ive to try the Maybelline Elixirs. But Vie d’Enfer is a beautiful shade! Ugh. #choices

7. July 25, 2014 / 7:00 pm

ok ok . thanks so much for picking up magique b/c thats the shade i’ve been eyeing and wanted to see it on someone else first. photos are so great for helping me with that so thank you. and thanks also for the tip! i didn’t quite know how they would perform and was wondering if i was going to get somethign that i only thought i would love but actually would end up never using b/c of the formula/application.

can’t wait to get mine now!

Jenn

A Beautiful Zen

• July 31, 2014 / 12:06 pm

Oooh you’re welcome, Jenn! Would love to see Magique on you, Jenn! 🙂 I didnt think I’d love this at all but yeah, i love when products surprise me. Would love to hear your thoughts on this too when you do get it!

8. July 25, 2014 / 7:10 pm

I love both of these on you Shari! Damn now I need to get them too! I just got Rieuse and its stunning but more of a muted shade! These are beautiful! and you are absolutely right about the “game changers” part! I didnt expect them to be so damn good! 😀

TheConscienceFund

• July 31, 2014 / 12:19 pm

I considered Rieuse too but then I wanted to go for a bolder pink so I got Magique. Ugh, might go back and get one or two more shades because I really love these. They feel like heaven on the lips. 🙂 Cant wait to see you wear yours (or have you already!? pls link!) 🙂

July 25, 2014 / 7:14 pm

Why why why so expensive?? :(( These look amazing though!! Never heard of a bad review of them so far. Wonderland and L’Oirel (hope I spelled it right) seem like my colors.

How do you even make your bg white for face shots?? #ikawna

FIFTY SHADES TRAILER LOVE OR HATE?? AHLAVET. CHRISTIAN GREY TAKE ME NOW!!!!

• July 31, 2014 / 12:21 pm

I will try the Butter Glosses and report back. ‘Tiz gonna be pretty hard to beat though because Dior feels like heaven on my lips, forrealz. HAHA. Take note though, these lips are ultra-sensitive (dry, peely you know the rest).

Anyway, 50 shades trailer = LOVE THE BEYONCE VERSION OF CRAZY IN LOVE. The rest of it? K LANG. Hahahaha bitter cos I still want Matt Bomer to be CG.

• July 31, 2014 / 12:22 pm

It’s because they are, Arielle 😉

10. cielo
    July 25, 2014 / 8:30 pm

It looks like NYX’s product. I totally forgot the name of it but they also have the tagline “it’s not lipstick, it’s not lip gloss” if I’m not mistaken. Anyways, thanks for sharing this article to us. I love the shade of Mirage. I’m too scared to try magique ’cause it’s too bright haha!

The Girl Behind the Pen
    cielofernando.blogspot.com

• July 31, 2014 / 12:22 pm

Magique can be blotted down, Ciels! But yes, if you want a smarter option (haha, economical and more practical) NYX Butter Glosses are the way to go. But I havent tried those yet! Will get to trying because everyone is comparing them nga!!

11. July 25, 2014 / 10:49 pm

Guuurl that photo of you wearing Magique is so sexy! :3 These do make your lips look fuller & ‘juicy’ nga talaga. I really wanna try the Mirage shade though since I’m in a peachy/beige phase lol.

• July 31, 2014 / 12:23 pm

Guuuurl thanks so much:* Hihi. I vouch for the fuller and juicier lips talaga! Ugh. parang ang ganda ng lips ko dito pero in real life, without the fluid sticks – MEH talaga. HAHA! And yes, Mirage is perfect for a peachy/beige because it’s not TOO beige that it’ll wash you out and make you look deadzz.

• August 3, 2014 / 6:39 am

omg now I really wanna try it out! haha :3

12. July 25, 2014 / 11:03 pm

Hi, Shari! I don’t know if you’re into blogging tag but I tagged you in this post!

• July 31, 2014 / 12:24 pm

I just saw this Mich!! Thanks for tagging meeee, will try to do this soon 🙂

• July 31, 2014 / 12:24 pm

Dior counter in Greenbelt5!

13. July 26, 2014 / 2:05 pm

I love how youve described the texture and I love the blot down color and how it sounds after it dries out! I love both shades on you but I especially love the nude!

• July 31, 2014 / 12:25 pm

I love them both tooo! EEEK! Thanks Sharlynn!!

14. July 26, 2014 / 2:38 pm

Noooo I haven’t tried!! I’ve been lusting over these since they came out and my eyes glaze when I go to the Dior section at Sephora….I think I will have to get one for myself eventually…maybe this weekend LOL….Mirage is so pretty, I could definitely see myself getting a lot of use out of that colour.

• July 31, 2014 / 12:25 pm

I’m almost halfway down my Mirage tube. I’ve really used and abused that one!! 🙂 I hope you do get to try them out – even just feel them on your lips. You’ll be hooked, girl. WARNING 😉 Haha!

15. July 26, 2014 / 8:47 pm

Magique looks so good! Glossy lips look good in person. They make your lips look juicy, hydrated, and kissable. In ID pictures, not so much.

• July 31, 2014 / 12:26 pm

Hahaha I know what you mean, mukhang uminom ka ng oil ng liempo :)) Or something! Haha. But in person, promise – it looks super juicy!

16. Michelle
    July 26, 2014 / 11:08 pm

Wow Shari, I love Mirage on you! So gorgeous and perfect for you! And of course loved your review as always 🙂

• July 31, 2014 / 12:27 pm

Bubz!! Thank you thank you! It’s been such a long time since we chatted. Hope you’re all well and great!!

17. July 27, 2014 / 5:00 pm

Wonderful review as always Shari. I’m actually surprised by how bold Magique looks on you. I remember your post in IG. It looked lighter compared to your swatch here. Makes me want to see all shades personally especially Aventure, Wonderland and Pandore. Those three look so lovely. How much are these in Rustan’s by the way?

• July 31, 2014 / 12:29 pm

Oh yes, my first post on it was the blotted down version! I mostly wear Magique like that kasi if I’m just running errands 🙂 I do wear it full blown bright though when I’m attending an event, for example. Ahhh Aventure, Wonderland and Pandore – these were included in my list before I whittled it down to these two! I want more though 🙁 Oh and these are PHP1,850/tube.

18. July 27, 2014 / 6:38 pm

Andami nga nababaliw dito. Parang ako rin madadagdag sa listahan. I hatechu.

• July 31, 2014 / 12:29 pm

Bea and I are baliw over this. Over Dior, actually. Or ako lang. HAHA. #pleasejointheclub

19. Bea
    July 28, 2014 / 3:47 am

I feel the same way, Shari. These Fluid Sticks are the work of the devil and have completely changed my mindset. They both look amazing on you but I think Magique wins out! Actually no, they’re both great. You chose well, friend.

I bought Mona Lisette a week ago and this week picked up Whisper Beige (though initially was going to get Mirage). This is the most excited I’ve been about makeup in forever – too bad it comes at a hefty price, literally.

Then of course the clever SA at Rustan’s had to show me those new Dior It-Line Liners and the blue one has my heart. When will it end?

• July 31, 2014 / 12:35 pm

Please post how both shades look on you – an IG post of your beautiful fez is more than enough! Ahhh, Mona Lisette looks so tempting. I didn’t really consider it but now that I’ve seen swatches, FARK. Whisper Beige looks blah but I’m sure I’d be wearing it almost daily.

I love these so much I’m willing to let go of some lipsticks (and even wearing lipstick!) to get more of these >:) Because like you said …. the $$$$. I wish it had been at a Php1000 price point which TBH is still a lot to pay for a /lipgloss/ but what the heck – have already thrown out all ‘practical’ and ‘rational’ bones in my body when I bought that first bottle of Chanel nail polish 😐 😐 😐

20. July 28, 2014 / 6:03 am

I’ve heard nothing but good things about these- the texture sounds lovely! Magique is such a beautiful shade on you 🙂

• July 31, 2014 / 12:35 pm

Thanks Jenn!

21. July 28, 2014 / 8:27 pm

Haaaaaa Shari ang ganda ganda mo <3 Both shades look amazing on you. So pretty! Gusto ko na rin bumili nito!

• July 31, 2014 / 12:36 pm

Try mo Elaine!! I super love it, at hindi ako mahilig sa lip gloss ha. It’s cos it dries down and doesn’t look as high-shine kasi after a while unlike other lipgloss formulas that are shiny all throughout. 🙂 They feel so nice on the lips pa!

22. August 1, 2014 / 11:27 am

Ang ganda!!!! Ganda din ng price. Lol bet ko talaga ung Magique. 🙂 Thanks for the review! Makabili na nga choz

23. August 6, 2014 / 3:54 pm

They look gorgeous on you! I just bought the shade Rieuse and I agre, the best part is when it settles down… I’m not a gloss person like you but I find that lately there have been better glosses everywhere! Loved this 😉 xx

gyudynotesofbeauty.blogspot.com

24. August 8, 2014 / 10:59 am

Slap and dash!! I love that, Shari! I have to say, these both look great on you and sound kind of…amazing. Must resist the urge…but it’s futile!!