Bringing My Hair Back to Life with Cynos’ Kerasilk Treatment

cynoscover

In with Keratin

My hair is naturally a frizzy, kinky tragedy — not in the I-Woke-Up-Like-This beautiful mess kind of way, but more like Too-Damaged-From-All-The-Chemical-Dyes kind. I’ve actually done two Keratin treatments before and while they did make my hair soft and smooth as promised, they didn’t last longer than a week. Not the products’ fault, I was told my hair is just too damaged for the treatment so I really can’t expect it to last more than one or two weeks. So going into this Kerasilk treatment with Cynos Inside Hair Care, I had managed expectations thanks to my previous experiences. I was surprised though — as it’s been two weeks since the treatment and my hair is still (miraculously) soft, smooth and manageable. Not pin straight as pictured above, but straight with body and volume that it looks like I’ve just gotten a blow dry. Photo spam after the jump! See before and after pics, as well as one week/two week updates.  cynos1b cynos2 cynos3b Cynos Kerasilk Keratin Treatment is kind of a permanent blow dry process that’s best for dry, damaged and frizzy hair(check check and check!) that’s been chemically processed. Cynos formulated their products to be water-based, so it’s not as harsh as the chemically-based keratin treatments in the market. It still stings the eyes though, but compared to the past two treatments I had — where I looked like I cried all night even until the next day of the treatment — this one only lasted for a couple of minutes and it didn’t sting as much. cynos2bbcynos7b So the whole Step 1 – Step 3 process took around 35-40 minutes, which included pre-washing (Kerasilk Step 1 bottle) of the hair to remove build-up and any other residue from shampoo or whatever gunk that’s left in the hair. This is a prep to ensure that the keratin treatment will be absorbed by the hair. While waiting for the keratin to be absorbed (Step 3), we were also treated to a Gel Manicure by CND Shellac. To be honest, I am petrified by gel manicures because the first (and last) time I had it done, the removal process was a nightmare – the manicurist filed my nail plates. Good God, that was the longest and most torturing 20 minutes of my life. Anyway, CND Shellac is a kind of gel polish that promises zero filing! Removal is easy as they use CND removal wraps soaked in acetone to cover each nail. After 10 minutes of soaking, the wraps are removed and the polish should have dissolved. Sometimes, there could be bits of shellac left, which would only need to be removed by an orange stick. cynos6cynos13ccynos8 My sister accompanied me for the day. ‘Twas a lovely sister bonding (except afterwards when we shot OOTDs and nearly killed each other. LOL). cynos9cynos5cynos11b And that’s it! The complete process took around 2 hours and after the ironing, you’re good to go. I know the AFTER photo looks super straight, almost like the dreaded “rebonded hair look” we all hate, but after one wash, it won’t look as pin straight anymore. It would in fact just look like it was blow-dried instead of ironed. cynosbefore

Final Thoughts

Well, it was a pretty painless process! The real question is… did it hold up for more than a week? Since I’ve pretty damaged hair that I feel is beyond-saving, I’m ecstatic to report that it’s been two weeks and I can still dash out the house with no heat styling, whatsoever and look like I’ve just gotten a blow-dry (not the styled one, just the air-dried blow-dry kind). Pretty happy with the results, if I say so myself. I’ll leave you with Week 1 and Week 2 photos below so you can see how the hair looks like after you’ve washed it several times. I’ve been using the Kerasilk Shampoo & Conditioner religiously (but any sulfate-free shampoo & conditioner should work too). Also, I haven’t heat styled my hair since treatment and well, I don’t really brush my hair (i’m more of a just comb through with fingers girl) so I haven’t used any brushes as well. cynos inside hair care keratin

I. LOVE. IT.

Cynos Inside Hair Care is available in all leading salons nationwide. Check out their Facebook page for more info.

I received the Kerasilk treatment for free. No compensation was given to write this review.

*The brand CYNOS was born in 1993 in Korea, considered as the leading fashion trend setter in Asia. In 2007, Cynos set up its distribution in Germany conquering the high land of the hair beauty industry. And in 2010, CYNOS was acquired by Colornow Canada Limited and an exclusive R&D laboratory was established as well. This has been the milestone for CYNOS as it marked its up-to-date research and study of the latest and most advanced technology in hair cosmetics. It evolved through the years and is now widely distributed in Germany, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Morocco, Syria and the Philippines.

July 27, 2014 / 4:50 pm

So silky! So straight! So purtyy!! But alas! I refuse to do any treatments like that to my hair because I don’t want it to lose its wave. After washing my hair, it always goes back to that I-Woke-Up-Like-Diz wave. Don’t wanna lose that natural volume!

I used to have really straight, long and frizz-free hair then I cut it short. Like really short. It went from all the way down my back to my chin. And I used to get really expensive haircuts from places like Basement Salon and Jessi Mendez. After the huge cut my hair was super frizzy and dry and lifeless. It grew out a bit and I wanted to cut it again. It was an impulsive decision so we weren’t able to schedule an appointment. My mom took me to David’s Salon and OHMAHGAHH even though their haircuts are cheap-o my hair has never been as soft and shiny as it is now.

To be really, really honest, I want to touch your hair after lookingat these photos.. It looks so soft 🙁

• July 31, 2014 / 2:10 pm

You can touch my hair (FOR FREE! haha) when we see each other Rayray! HOPEFULLY it’ll still be as soft and smooth haha.

I wonder why your hair parang got mad when you cut it real short. Pero grabeng courage yun ha, I could never do a drastic hair cut like that! 🙂 But yes, I agree – I’ve gone to exxy salons to get my haircut and some (if not most) just have this one style of cutting na snip snip snip… 10 mins done na! Always turns out to be an ugly one. Wispy ends, emphasizes dryness.. ugh! Kaya I’ve had once-a-year haircuts lang for how many years because I got traumatized rin by some hairstylists.

David’s Salon really does great haircuts. I’ve some friends who’ve been loyal to their DS hairdressers and have great hair always. 🙂 If you’ve found The One, stick to him/her na!

2. July 27, 2014 / 7:44 pm

wow hmmm. if i actually had longer hair this would be super appealing to me. i’ve never gotten a hair treatment before but i also don’t do anything that would damage my hair. i’m just not that into getting my hair done BUT i’ve been thinking of getting a perm…still waffling. i love the idea of sitting in a salon and getting ppl to fuss over me though. and yay that this treatment lasted longer than you expected!

Jenn

A Beautiful Zen

• July 31, 2014 / 2:13 pm

Woman if you have naturally beautiful locks, dont do anything to damage it! So you wont have to do these treatments anymore 🙂 I personally love your haircut and if only that kind of hairstyle suited me, I’d go for it no Qs asked. Oh how I’d love to wake up and not have to fuss about my frizzy, dry hair. Sadly, I tried a short bob before and it was Justin Timberlake cry me a river for a few weeks there. 🙁

• July 31, 2014 / 7:24 pm

hahaha oh no!! well..there have been a few hairdressers that didn’t quite understand what a graduated bob was and so they basically gave me a beatles bowl cut. you know its really bad when you walk through the door and your roomate goes “BWAHAH!” and then tries to cover her mouth….
        so sad…that one was the worst.

3. July 27, 2014 / 8:06 pm

The quality of your hair definitely looks multiple times better! even after couple of weeks.. I haven’t gotten anything done except color one and then I retreated! I usually forget doing much for the hair but a mask over in a while is all I can manage :p

Divya | TheConscienceFund

• July 31, 2014 / 2:15 pm

It’s because of ALL THE KERATIN!!! Ugh, Div – this is like your hair on a permanent hair mask mode! :)) Well, 3 months tops. I really love how manageable my locks are now as compared to pre-keratin treatment that ugh, just makes me wanna cut it all off.

4. July 27, 2014 / 11:55 pm

Ganda! Did you blow dry your hair (1st & 2nd week photo) or ganyan talaga sya kabagsak everyday? wow!

• July 31, 2014 / 2:16 pm

Sis NOPE! I didn’t. I just air dried it and ganyan lang bagsak niya, no heat style whatsoever. Sa back though, merong slight wave so di siya pin straight – pero bagsak parin siya.

5. Marjorie Gavan
    July 28, 2014 / 10:50 am

Wow, the treatment did bring your hair back to life. I used to have super hair dry too but my solution was more drastic, I had it cut off. I am now sporting a bob and I like it. But if my locks become dry again I would try the kerasilk treatment. I like how it made your hair more vibrant.

Coffeehan

6. July 29, 2014 / 4:06 pm

I like that it lasts pretty long. Even with slightly better hair, my old keratin treatments last less than a week. And that’s a total dud because you’re not supposed to do keratin too often daw dibaaaa?

7. How Does Dee DoIt
    July 30, 2014 / 8:24 pm

Omg sounds like just what I need! I’ve tried the horrid chemical straightening from Wella ages ago and while it made my hair pin straight it also damaged it..v badly. I have no idea that we have access to this treatment in Canada but….maybe we have something similar. I’ll be finding out for sure! Thnx for the review Shari!

8. March 15, 2015 / 11:34 pm

Wow! This sounds like something I need…so. badly. I’ve tried everything I can do at home, but maybe it’s time to try a more salon type solution. I’ve been colouring and heat styling my hair for YEARS and just recently stopped, as I’ve noticed it thinning and falling out way too much for someone my age…

I will definitely look into this. THANK YOU!

xo
    Sophie | http://www.thesophasaurus.com

9. Kay Van Etta
    October 25, 2016 / 5:39 am

Hi Shari! How long did it last on you?

10. Hanna
    September 26, 2018 / 6:18 pm

Hi! How long did the treatment last on your hair?