Makeup Play: Semi-Graphic Eye Look with Benefit’s Push-Up Gel EyeLiner Pen

nudelookb nudelook3

All Over Liner

I don’t think I’ve ever worn a “360-degree eye” since… high school (??) when I had my makeup done for prom. The makeup artist surprised me with chinkier eyes when he was done with his “magic”. Ugh. I hate when my eyes appear smaller than usual. Since that incident, I renounced wearing eyeliner on my waterline for good. BUT what is this blog for when I’ll just be sticking to my conventional forever-safe makeup looks all the time, right? I’ve posted a lot of FOTDS and looks in this blog that even my ex from way back was so luckily blessed to see my face pop up on Google search when he was searching for MAC lipsticks (for his girlfriend, I suppose). But most of those either a) all look the same b) vary a little on the lipstick shade c) are so safe you can walk across without looking both ways first or even blindfolded. Hear ye! Hear ye! The time has come for The Misty Mom to tread the path of more experimental makeup looks. So for the first installment of Makeup I’m Not Comfortable Wearing But Will Show You How I Look Like With It Anyway — I go with a semi-graphic eye slash all-over nude look. Please enjoy (not too much please) my makeup metaphysical unease, friends.  nudelook4nudelook5 Benefit Push-Up Gel Eyeliner Pen* (review here). Launching today (!!!) worldwide, I decided to go with this instead of pencil or liquid because it’s the most intense black I have in my stash (and matte, at that!). Been using this for quite some time now and I really like how it glides smoothly on my upper lashline (except when you have dry bits of gel liner from the last usage which you just wipe off before use). On the lower lashline though, it was tricky ricky. It didn’t glide as smoothly as I wanted it to that I spent twice the time and effort to put it on. Tom Ford She Wolf Eyeshadow Trio (review here). Since I’m going for a graphic liner look, I believe a dark grey smokey eye would be its best complement. I’ve never been a black/grey eyeshadow wearer until I blindly but wholeheartedly purchased this trio. I didn’t use the sparkle shade for this look, though. ‘Twas daytime and I reserve the SPARKLE~! on this palette for night time. Clinique Lash Power Feathering Mascara*. What! A mascara that can finally hold my curl (without recurling)! I’m still on the testing mode with this but so far, I like the formula – it’s not too wet nor too heavy so it doesn’t weigh down the lashes or cause clumping. It doesn’t volumize as well as other mascaras, though but since I’m not after that, I’m okay with it. This is because most volumizing mascaras can’t hold my curl and that is of utmost importance to me! What is volume if it’s totally weighed down anyway. Full-ish review to follow. nudelook2 Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation in Warm Vanilla. I went with this because I just want to finish up the bottle, goddamit. It’s such a heavy-coverage foundation that I feel like I’m wearing a mask when I wear this, no matter how light the coverage I aim for. But once it goes on, it doesn’t budge at all. I would assume this would be perfect for those who are oily-skinned and/or need heavy coverage. Also, white cast on flashbacks with this one (but who still uses flash?). Rouge Bunny Rouge Original Skin Blush in Delicata. The shade I was underwhelmed among the three blushes I got here. BUT I persevered and I used the Real Techniques Buffing Brush this time to apply it (none of those fluffy blush brushes I usually go for) et voila, a beautiful nude shade that slightly contours when built up even heavier. Ahhhh… I think I’m in love with it now. It goes well with the next product I’ll gush over, too. Tom Ford Lip Color in Sable Smoke (review here). My all-time favorite nude lip shade because it does not wash me out like a concealer shade would, thanks to the hint of peach in it. I’ve raved about this a few times now, except for the unrave-able stench that I wish I could just not smell when I put it on. MAC Pedro Lourenco Lipglass in Gold Mirror. Recently talked about in my last post, I’m wearing this over Sable Smoke in my last FOTD below. I can now add shimmering gold lipgloss to my Makeup I’m Not Comfortable Wearing But Will Show You How I Look Like With It Anyway checklist. nudelookb nudelook6nudelookfotdnudelookfotd2

Final Look

…Did I manage to pull off Beyonce’s pinky or what? Screen Shot 2014-06-27 at 5.14.33 PM

So what did I learn from this makeup experiment? That I should really stay away from wearing eyeliner on the lower lashline or waterline because even my little one instinctively turned her back on me (thinking I wasn’t her mom maybe?) because I look too… strong. My husband doesn’t like the look on me either, I look emo, he says (who’s still emo this 2014? or who even says that anymore!).

Anyway,  that’s all for today’s makeup play, folks! Till the next one. I’m curious — how do you feel about wearing eyeliner on your lower lashline or waterline?

June 27, 2014 / 6:48 pm

You look stunning! I love it!! Did a loom similar to this but more “age appropriate” for me. Hehe It would have also been nice with a graphic wing, don’t you think? 😉

• June 28, 2014 / 4:08 pm

I contemplated on doing a wing look but this one was already a stretch outside my comfort zone, I’m reserving that one for the next step outside of it 😉 Heehee. Too chicken pa to do it! Plus, I was afraid to mess it up and start all over again. #LAZY

As for the photos – just trying to mix things up (I think I’m getting bored w my own photos looking the same HAHAHA) but will go back to white background soon – just wanted to try this. 🙂 What do you like more though?

2. June 27, 2014 / 6:54 pm

Shari this is SO stunning on you!! You look completely in your elements! 😀 Love Love Love it! Very rock chic!! I love Sable Smoke on you.. like the perfect nude!

TheConscienceFund

• June 28, 2014 / 4:09 pm

I love Sable Smoke on me too!!! But the liner… not at all!! LOL :)) Thanks for still thinking I look good with it though! You’re too kind, DIVY!!! ❤

3. June 27, 2014 / 7:18 pm

Whoaaa ah-mazing!!! That liner is finally available here today. I need to hunt it down ASAP!

• June 28, 2014 / 4:09 pm

I can’t wait to hear your thoughts bout it Sunny – good, bad or both! 🙂

4. June 27, 2014 / 7:53 pm

Well, you can glide the eyeliner na lang half of your lower eyelid para hindi masyadong intense. TBH, i love this look on you. m/

• June 28, 2014 / 4:10 pm

I used to do that and with a pencil lang para not as intense as this – but what is this look for if I wont go all out! HAHA. :)) Thanks for still liking though, Laarns!! ❤

• June 28, 2014 / 4:44 pm

all out talaga! hahaha. apir!

5. June 27, 2014 / 9:37 pm

I love this look, Shari! 🙂 I rarely wear eyeliner on the lower lashline because I have small eyes -_- Haha! When I do want a little definition there, I do it only on the outer third.

• June 28, 2014 / 4:11 pm

ME TOOOO for the same reason! I also usually do that, pencil with a dark brown shade the outer third lang 🙂 But yes, wanted to give this a try and well… toinks! Going back to doing what I usually do! 🙂

• June 28, 2014 / 4:11 pm

Thanks Zazie!

6. June 27, 2014 / 10:24 pm

Wow the makeup turned out really nice! Love how flawless your skin is even though you found the foundation too heavy. It’s great to see you try a look that gets you outside of your comfort zone, although I definitely agree that the bottom eyeliner looks a little too strong!

• June 28, 2014 / 4:13 pm

It’s heavy BUT really good full coverage 🙂 I like doing these OCZ (outside comfort zone) looks even if I know I don’t look particularly good in them because it’s fun experimenting with makeup (same same all the time gets zzzzz boring) 😉 And yes, the eyeliner is indeed too strong but it was what I was aiming for and ack, it really isn’t a good look on me at all!

7. June 27, 2014 / 10:49 pm

What a gorgeous look, Shari! I’m still lusting after the She-Wolf palette and the BeneFit liner looks amazing on you. Have a wonderful weekend 🙂

• June 28, 2014 / 4:13 pm

Thank you Jenn! Always so sweet!! 😉

8. June 27, 2014 / 11:13 pm

HAHAHA tawang tawa naman ako sa Google images, Shari! I like it a lot, though, pero I think if I’d wear a black liner again on my lower lash line, I’d smudge a warm brown or something para hazy siya and not so stark. I don’t know why I ever wore this look when I was a bb hahaha.

• June 28, 2014 / 4:15 pm

That’s what I usually do too – smudge lang a dark brown pencil liner on the bottom lashline (never waterline!) for definition 🙂 I just wanted to relive the good ol’ days when I used to wear liner like this (with pencil though, not gel).. haha. Di talaga e!!

And the Google images incident… kainis pero #truestory :’)) Haha!

9. June 28, 2014 / 12:22 am

Looks gorge for an evening look. I love to wear brown eyeliner, instead of black on my waterline like Carina. 🙂

• June 28, 2014 / 4:15 pm

Agree! It’s definitely the way to go 🙂

10. June 28, 2014 / 5:04 am

It still looks good on you, tho! 🙂 Pero natawa naman ako sa emo remark ni hubby. Hahaha :p

• June 28, 2014 / 4:17 pm

Stuck in the past si husband. It’s not even emo, it’s ‘goth’ siguro what he’s referring to. Kaazar. Thanks V!

11. June 28, 2014 / 5:48 am

i think lining the lower lash works for you! and the write up for this post was great! hahah ‘so safe you don’t need to look both ways’

• June 28, 2014 / 4:18 pm

Thanks for thinking so Jenn! But I sadly won’t be wearing this out anytime soon (or ever again!!) LOL :))

12. Meg
    June 28, 2014 / 7:48 am

I love lining my lower lash line because it makes my eyes look bigger. Maybe not as thick as what you did in your post though. 🙂

• June 28, 2014 / 4:19 pm

If done properly (a.k.a not like this!!!), it definitely helps in making the eyes bigger. I do so by using a pencil and just the outer third or half 🙂

13. June 28, 2014 / 10:08 am

For the longest time, I was like, “What on earth is a 360 degree eye??!???!?” And do you even WANT to know the context of why your ex BF was looking at MAC lipstick swatches??? XD
    Have you tried sheering out Doublewear with maybe a BB or tinted moisturizer? I do that for my heavier coverage foundations and it just looks so much better!
    PS. You can definitely pull off the somewhat-nude look! 😉

• June 28, 2014 / 4:22 pm

Aw thanks Vanessa. It’s the lipstick and blush that make this look more wearable for me than I thought (aka blood-sucked-out-of-me-look)! Maybe the crazy “360 degree eye” helps too? LOL. Not wearing it again, though (the eyes!) :’)

And no, I dont even wanna know the reason my ex was searching for MAC lipsticks :’)))) Hahaha crazy V!!

I think I’ll try using Doublewear with a tinted moisturizer – hopefully it works so I can stop hating it!

• June 29, 2014 / 4:35 am

Shari…PLEASE try the EL Double Wear Active foundation. I hate the feel of heavy makeup too and didn’t like the original doublewear foundation but the active version of it is the bomb. It will not disappoint 🙂

14. June 28, 2014 / 12:44 pm

I think you totally did a great job, the cheeks and lips are my favorite part, the colors suit you sooooo well!! I think you could’ve gone deeper and smokier with the eyes but it looks great!

• June 28, 2014 / 4:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Shar! I should’ve gone smokier on the eyes, that’s true!!
      My cheeks and lips are my fave here, too. Maybe I’ll do another version – a more wearable and not-so-intense one 🙂 Thanks for the tip!!

15. June 28, 2014 / 2:32 pm

I don’t like wearing eyeliner on my whole waterline too but there are occasions when I’d just line the outer third of my lower lashline.

• June 28, 2014 / 4:23 pm

Yup, outer third of the lower lashline with a pencil is my usual and more comfortable go-to when I decide to do them. This one is just… no talaga. :))

16. makeupwithaheart
    June 28, 2014 / 4:33 pm

I think wearing a bit of liner on the lower lash line actually opens up my eyes! The trick for me is to use a darkish eyeshadow instead of a dark eyeliner (My favorite is Espresso or Plum From the Lorac Palette). I also make sure to blend the line a bit with my finger if it looks too harsh and add a shimmery eyeshadow in the one corners to highlight my eyes 🙂

• June 28, 2014 / 4:40 pm

Yes yes, that is indeed the trick! I usually line the outer 1/3 of my lower lashline with a dark brown shade (blended a bit too) when I want more definition (open up my eyes more). What I’m referring to when I say smaller eyes is when I fill in my waterline and not lower lashline- sorry for the confusion 🙂

17. jgpangi
    June 28, 2014 / 7:52 pm

Haaay, ang laki kaya tignan ng eyes mo (this is a compliment), so beautifully defined. Sa upper and lower lashline lang ako nakakalagay ng eyeliner. I don’t think I’ve found the right formulation for me yet because they always make a mess on my face.

This is the look I (try to) go for when I want that emo look, and yep I still use that word 🙂 Kudos on your brave posting!

• June 29, 2014 / 12:49 pm

Thank you! 🙂 A not-too-creamy pencil would be best for the lower lashline cos you can smudge it should it apply too thickly. That or a stiff pencil na warm brown. For the upper lashline, I haven’t found a pencil that doesn’t smudge or budge yet – I like using gel liner parin. Liquid naman if I want a super thin line 🙂

18. anne0822
    June 28, 2014 / 9:19 pm

I also don’t like wearing eyeliner on my lower lashline. I once attended a makeup workshop and the facilitator asked us to put black pencil liner and i was like, “NO! lalaki lalo mata ko!”

Maybe we can try brown eyeliner for a softer look? hehe..

• June 29, 2014 / 12:52 pm

Lining the lower lashline = bigger eyes; the waterline = smaller eyes. And yes, brown eyeliner for a softer look, yes.

19. June 29, 2014 / 4:33 am

I feel the same way about lining my waterline Shari. Although I do think it suits you! I’ve been lusting after TF lipsticks ever since I saw them first on Temptalia ages ago. Good thing that the store that carries them is not very close to where I live lol and I really want to test them or atleast see them in person before I buy them. Sable smoke looks SO pretty and suits you so well! The shade reminds of Revlon’s colorburst lipstick in blush. Love this simple smokey-nude ( it must be called that in some part of the world heh) look that you have going on here!

• June 29, 2014 / 12:59 pm

Sable Smoke is definitely my favorite nude lipstick – I will check out Revlon’s Blush lipstick asap 🙂 Thanks for the sweet words, Dee!!

20. June 29, 2014 / 8:26 pm

Yesss, you so pulled it off! I actually have that Benefit eyeliner waiting for me at my parents’ house in Belgium and I’m going to pick it up next week. Can’t wait to play with it.

• July 1, 2014 / 3:35 pm

Yay! Can’t wait for your thoughts on it when you finally get to use it, love!!

21. June 30, 2014 / 12:13 am

You looking so lovely Shari!! Everything about the look is sooooo perfect. Love it

• July 1, 2014 / 3:38 pm

Thank you thank you Fiona!! ❤

22. June 30, 2014 / 6:41 pm

even I feel the same about using eye liner on my lower lash but looks nice on you…you look pretty 🙂
    missprettypink.com

• July 1, 2014 / 3:39 pm

Smita, youre too kind! I wont be doing this look in a long time though 🙂 Hihi!!

23. June 30, 2014 / 10:04 pm

Me too! I look really fierce whenever I wear dark eyeliners on my waterline. I don’t know why but there are gals who looks good with them.

• July 1, 2014 / 3:39 pm

IKR. Bakit sa iba super okay naman siya tingnan 🙁

24. June 30, 2014 / 11:18 pm

For me, I think you look fierce and I like it!! But if you ask my bf, he would probably say the same thing your husband did (although he probably wouldn’t use the word “emo” haha!)

Whenever I line my waterline black, he isn’t so crazy about it, either, don’t know why! And here I thought I looked nice haha.

I agree about Sable Smoke, another perfect nude for our complexion; although my favorite TF nudes are still Spanish Pink and Pink Dusk. 🙂

• July 2, 2014 / 9:54 am

Thanks Jaaa!! A little TOO fierce for my liking, though! Hehe.
      For some reason, I think when our eyes are too strong – the guys instantly think “too much makeup” or that it looks too striking. I get them though :))

Spanish Pink is my fave pink, too! And am stopping myself from getting Pink Dusk! Stop enabling, Jaaaa 😉 LOL

25. July 1, 2014 / 8:15 am

you definitely look fierce with full on eyeliner! I don’t line my waterline, because one it does look too much and two I hate it when there’s a black gunk on the outer corner of my eye… But when I do feel like doing a full rim eyeliner, I use brown not black. Brown does the trick for me, it doesn’t look emo-ish at all and it’s actually pretty… I skip eyeliners most of the time because when I apply mascara on both my upper and lower lashes, it looks like I have a bit of eyeliner on. hehehe

• July 2, 2014 / 9:56 am

Black gunk, I get you sisturrr! For some reason when I apply mascara, I dont get the same eyeliner effect! 🙁 Sana nga eh, so I can skip lining but hindi talaga eh 🙁

26. silverkis
    July 1, 2014 / 5:17 pm

Hey Shari, i like the look!!! Gosh, i think sometimes we need to just break out from our safety zones and do something crazy…. and i like the heavy emphasis on the eyes. I’m just not sure if the liner was doing your eyes justice! Maybe something softer, more blended out…. try a pencil next and let’s see it! :*

• July 2, 2014 / 9:56 am

Linda!! Missed you darling! I shall do a more wearable look to compare with this – thanks for the suggestion! And agree on doing something crazy once in a while 😉

27. July 1, 2014 / 10:53 pm

I miss reading your blog teh! 🙁 And you’re so gorg talaga!!! I rarely wear eyeliner on my lower lashline or waterline kasi I don’t think it suites me. Pero ganda mo padin! <3

• July 2, 2014 / 9:57 am

I miss hearing from you too Teyyy! Thank thank you for the sweet words pero #ditalagaeh! Hahaha.

• July 4, 2014 / 10:20 pm

Busy lang sa school. Boo. 🙁

28. July 2, 2014 / 5:54 pm

But with your eye shape, 360 deg eyeliner is actually flattering on you! On a lot of people, it looks tired and droopy eh. This is goooood <3 Ganda rin ng lipchook mo kaines!!!

29. Ty Phang
    July 3, 2014 / 11:48 am

You look hot and glamorous, Shari! Like Beyonce! I love how you did a more wearable version. But I guess, at the end of the day, you should just wear whatever you’re comfortable with. 🙂 I’m really lusting for the Tom Ford lip color!

• July 22, 2014 / 4:57 pm

Aww too kind, Ty!! TOO KIND! But thank you so much 🙂 sable smoke is one of my favorites! Kinda tricky to know if it’ll suit your skintone though so better if you can swatch before buying!

30. Coco
    July 3, 2014 / 12:33 pm

It’s funny how other people love makeup you don’t like on yourself. I ADORE how all over liner looks on you. Your eyes look very framed and sexy and glam.
    Ha! The ex stumbling onto your face on Google. 😐

• July 22, 2014 / 5:00 pm

LOL @ your last sentence really :)) Anyway, thank you for thinking it looks good on me Coco! I beg to disagree but maybe I’m just not really used to it! Ive read your blog entry on feeling down because of your boyfriend away, wanted to comment but Blogger screwed me over 🙁 I dont know the exact feeling but I know LDR and that one is tough in itself, so with the added concerns, Im awed at your strength, dear. If you need a chat, just tweet me babe. Im here! Hugs and Kisses from oceans away :*

31. July 3, 2014 / 11:55 pm

Just stumbled on your blog and love your makeup pictures! I think you pull off eyeliner on the lash line really well! Sometimes I use a brown or purple colour on my lower lash line 😛

• July 22, 2014 / 5:01 pm

Hi Whitney! Thanks for stumbling on here! And for the sweet comments too!! 🙂 I usually just use brown eyeliner or shadow on my lower lashline too so this is really a step away from my comfort zone :)) Just wanted to see how it looked like!

• July 22, 2014 / 5:01 pm

Aw thanks gurl :*

32. www.antiagingbeautyzone.com
    January 7, 2015 / 1:24 am

I think your full eyeliner look is beautiful! You probably see it as “too strong” because you’re not used to seeing yourself with that 360 eyeliner look. Now, unlike you, I can’t remember a day (since I was 12 yrs. old) that I DIDN’T wear eyeliner. I feel I look ill without out and my eyes look washed out. Of course, my light colored eyes can do that too. I have slight almond shaped eyes and feel that a “little” liner on the top and bottom on the waterline really brings them to life and accentuates the almodish shape. I’m 55 years old in this picture and while most women think they shouldn’t wear eyeliner on the bottom lid, I think most can pull it off if they use a light hand and just apply a hit dark color. I use a cheap Maybelline Eye Pencil. The same one my mom used many years ago when it sold for 50cents! Great blog, thanks for sharing your info.