Back to MAC with the MAC x Pedro Lourenco Collection

mac pedro lourenco collection

Once You Go MAC

…there will be cheese. It’s been a while since I wrote about MAC products in this blog, no? Ummm… for good reason, you guys! I dropped so much $$$ on their lipsticks when I was pregnant (terrible hoarding situation back then, I blame my hormonal imbalance) that I swore off from the brand for a while as to not ignite any sparks of those tendencies. I love the brand that I’m even thinking of doing a Top 5 MAC Products entry soon. And exactly that.. MAC is such an easy to like brand that it’s hard to come out of that store without buying anything. Easy to like meaning I think their core products are solid, fuss-free (no bullshit necessary), wide in variety (the shades of lipsticks, eyeshadows and blushes!) and priced relatively well (let’s not talk about the mark-up). But I’ve traipsed on to more dangerous makeup waters the past year that I’ve ignored the brand that started this crazy in the first place. Thankfully, the MAC motherhood and I are reunited through some of the MAC x Pedro Lourenço collection pieces that the beautiful ladies of MAC Philippines kindly sent over.  mac pedro lourenco collection lady danger

MAC Amplified Lipstick in Lady Danger

Ahhh! The beautiful coral red shade I’ve been going back and forth on purchasing but haven’t because of the original matte finish that’s incompatible with my ultra dry lips. Lady D in this collection is in the beautiful amplified finish that’s creamy with a soft sheen. I don’t have a lot of oranges in my stash because… yellow Asian skin. But I found that Lady Danger has a good balance of red and orange that doesn’t pull out too much yellow from my skin or teeth. The Amplified finish lasts a good 4 hours on me without meals. It tends to transfer a little due to its creamy finish but once the sheen has faded, the color (albeit not as bold as first applied) still lasts through and through. mac pedro lourenco collection

MAC Pedro Lourenco Powder Blush Duo in Corol

This has gotten bad rap from the pro beauty bloggers (Temptalia, MakeupandBeauty, etc.) for being hard to work with and for its low color pay-off. Corol contains 2 blush shades — a light coral pink and a midtone neutral plum. Upon swatching with my fingers, it does provide a very sheer wash with the light coral pink needing a few more swipes to show up. It’s not as hard or dry as one beauty blogger noted, mine was quite smooth actually. I usually use a fluffy brush to apply blush but knowing this was more on the sheer side, I used a dense brush instead. Not that bad as the light coral actually only took two layers to show up on my cheeks and the plum shade showed up in one swipe. Blending wasn’t as effortless as I wanted but the result was a beaute! I didn’t expect I’d love the two shades together as much as I would (see face shot below). Although for skin tones darker than NC35/40, I don’t think the shades would show up easily (or at all). mac pedro lourenco collection

MAC Pedro Lourenco Lipglass in Gold Mirror

Item I was least excited to get because I had a bad experience waaay back with MAC lipglasses. The one I had was too sticky that I think it wanted to marry my hair and be forever with it (the dreaded hair all over your lipgloss phenonemon). So it’s actually been a (looong) while since I tried any MAC lipglass at all. I don’t know when MAC reformulated these but I’m beyond ecstatic to report that they aren’t the same lipglasses I used to know. Yay! Much smoother and not at all sticky! The shade I got it in is Gold Mirror, a “neutral gold”. It’s a brown-ish gold with multicolored shimmer and when I say shimmer… I mean sparkle! I actually don’t know when I can use this lipglass because I rarely ever wear any lip product with shimmer on. BUUUUT I think I will whip this out when I do some kind of futuristic or super nude look – which is soon because I want to share how this gold lipgloss looks on me (!!!). I thought I’d look more in the alien territory but I managed to make it look like Beyonce (or that’s what I coerced my brain into thinking!) or her pinky. More like her pinky. macpedro6macpedro5 macpedro9bmacpedrolourenco2

Final Thoughts

MAC collections are coming out one after another that it’s definitely hard to keep tabs. I, for one, have been so overwhelmed with so many choices (and with only so little $$$!!) that I end up skipping on them without even bothering to look. Ahhh, the paradox of choice at work. With this collection though, I’ve been captivated by MAC yet again that I’m even skimming through the Osbourne collection in between typing this entry. Ooops. So as I was saying, while this Pedro Lourenco collection isn’t the best, it’s not one of the worsts either. I absolutely love Lady Danger in Amplified finish and have this weird liking for the Corol blush duo despite the bad raps over it. The shades individually are okay, but blended together look amazing on. Also, the packaging of this collection is quite unique to the brand — a rubbery smooth matte with gold accents (reminiscent of NARS, yes). Though I love this kind of packaging at first because it’s a joy to touch and hold — my obsessive compulsive gene is terrified at the thought of dust particles clinging on to them. Still, I like. Oh and one last note before I end this post — I absolutely had no idea who Pedro Lourenco was before this collection. FYI, he’s a Brazilian womenswear fashion designer.

Any thoughts on the collection? Good Lord, the nude quad is calling out to me you guys. Stop me.

1. June 25, 2014 / 1:18 pm

I knowwww. MAC is easy to fall in love with. Yeah, parang every week na lang may new collection (okay, i’m exaggerating!)

Anyway, I am particularly loving the packaging. ‘Ang classy lang!

• June 28, 2014 / 3:40 pm

Love-hate relationship w/ the packaging – super classy nga but dust-attraction level is HIGH! Hehe.

2. Katsy Faustino
    June 25, 2014 / 1:25 pm

Just as I’m about to head out to MAC and go for just the absolute basics this time, you post this Shari! Haha now I have to check out this collection. I kept going past this one as I wanted to wait for the Osbournes to hit our counters but I don’t think that’s happening in a while.

• June 28, 2014 / 3:44 pm

Oooh – what basics are you going for, Katsy? *curious/chismosa* haha!

But if I were to choose – I’d pass on this one (the blush duo I actually like though) and go for the Osbourne collection instead. The lipsticks, eyeshadows! Not sure when it’ll be released though but hopefully it’ll be worth the wait 🙂 (Or order online!)

• Katsy Faustino
        July 15, 2014 / 6:51 pm

Hi Shari! I got Goddess of the Sea L/S from Alluring Aquatics and Fix+ coz I wanted to finally test it out. I also want the Osbourne collection! Kelly Yum Yum is calling out my name kaso it’s oos na online. :(((( Will have to wait for local counters to stock up so I can grab one! I’m sure it will sell out asap though so I have to be quick when the time comes. August ata e 😀

3. June 25, 2014 / 2:28 pm

The Beyonce’s pinky part was so funny hahaha! I also had no idea who Pedro was so thanks for the info! Lol. As always, I love the way you write! Can’t wait to see the look you come up with for that Lipglass. 🙂

• June 28, 2014 / 3:45 pm

Haha, aww thanks Eileen! Always so touched reading your comments :’) Gold lipgloss look now up!

4. June 25, 2014 / 2:38 pm

Forgot to mention! I’ve reread your mac lipstick posts countless of times haha. I’m planning to reward myself with a Mac lippie when I get my first job (I graduated a little over a week ago but I’ve already started applying for jobs LOL). I’ve never owned any Mac stuff so I’m pretty excited! Also I wanted to thank you for the reviews because they’re really helpful! <3

• June 28, 2014 / 3:46 pm

You’re welcome dear!! Glad my bankruptcy helped a woman in need!! 🙂 Good luck on picking out a MAC lipstick (go crazy on swatching in counter!) and more luck on your job hunt!! Woohoo, bring out the pizza and beers!

5. June 25, 2014 / 3:05 pm

Shet, Lady Danger is calling me, lol.

• June 28, 2014 / 3:47 pm

“Yooohoo Carinaaaaa, feeling dangerous? Wink wink.”

6. June 25, 2014 / 3:29 pm

I am definitely swatching the Lady Danger in Amplified finish. The shade looks really gorgeous though I am not that convinced with the Nars-ish packaging of this collection. I read a lot of reviews online that this certain texture tends to attract powder particles and easily gets scratched. I heard that it’s hard to clean too. Anyway, I totally know the feels of dropping so much $$$ on MAC lipsticks. They’re just so worth it! 🙂

• June 28, 2014 / 3:48 pm

True-la-loo – the matte packaging is a nightmare to ‘clean’ (if you can even clean it!). I’ve loved NARS packaging because of its simplicity and typography but all is paradise until fingerprints and excess powder break loose.

7. June 25, 2014 / 4:51 pm

Hey Shari! you look gorgeous! of course! 😀 I haven’t had a chance to try this collection or any of the recent MAC collections for reasons highlighted by you! (Too many one after another and too less $$$) 😛 I do love stuff from their core line which I reviewed recently and quite happy repurchasing those occasionally! I love your pictures in the post! 🙂

TheConscienceFund

• June 28, 2014 / 3:48 pm

I’m currently reading your favorite MAC items! Dangerous territory… 🙂

June 25, 2014 / 5:26 pm

Lady Danger thooo!! Their new packaging looks similar to NARS’. I was hoping you could include swatches. 🙁

HOLDUP. Iz u wearin a bra in dat picture?!

• June 28, 2014 / 3:50 pm

Oh yah huh – shucks totally forgot about doing swatches!! Bwahaha, so not used to doing reviews anymore (WHAT!). Sorry bebe, I’ll update this with swatches soon. Will tweet when I do.

And yizzir, no bra just nipple pads 😉 #ihatebras :))

• Raven Ang
        June 28, 2014 / 4:00 pm

Thanks thanks. 🙂 I CANNOT live w/o my bra. I will literally be a hunchback if not for it. I even sleep with one on!

9. June 25, 2014 / 7:04 pm

You are so right! They keep rolling out collection after collection. It is very hard for me to keep up!

• June 28, 2014 / 3:50 pm

Such a shame that a collection is overshadowed by the next one quickly 🙁

10. June 25, 2014 / 7:09 pm

I LOOVE lady danger. i have the regular matte version which isn’t coral though. its straight up orange leaning red. love it 🙂

Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

• June 28, 2014 / 3:51 pm

I didnt think I’d love Lady D on me vs. shade on the tube but I’m glad I did! 🙂 The matte version looks so nice but my lips.. ugh, don’t even wanna talk about it. #bitterness

11. June 25, 2014 / 11:55 pm

My friend bought “the nude quad” and it looked so pretty, but if you have a lot of neutrals, you may want to let it pass. hehehehe. 😀

• June 28, 2014 / 3:53 pm

I should (let it goooo). This affliction to nudes must be halted! Thanks for reminding me, Juvzki.

12. June 26, 2014 / 12:04 am

Hey Shari! I really like the look of the powder blush duo! I really don’t mind sheer blushes at all as long as it is buildable! I really don’t know if I should thank you for this post because I’ve been doing well at not following MAC makeup collections (I mean, who could keep up?!!) and now your post just sucked me right back into it! LOL.

You look stunning in the last photo! The Lady Danger is such a great color on you! <3

• June 28, 2014 / 3:55 pm

This one’s very buildable. Ack, I’m even against the flow here cos I’ve been using the duo everyday and I do so with one swipe, blend a bit and out the door I go. I’ve been really liking it against my initial apprehensions.

And bahahahaha – I know what you mean, I’ve been so out with MAC collections myself that I was suddenly sucked into it again after this. Tsk tsk!!

13. June 26, 2014 / 12:06 am

This shade isn’t for me tho. But I like Roxo! I want Roxo! :)) And guuuuurl, where’s yer bra? Hahahaha

• June 28, 2014 / 3:56 pm

ROXO looks like it was made for you, VVcakes.
      Bra is resting :))

14. June 26, 2014 / 12:43 am

Freaking love that blush compact! It’s gorgeous! I’ve yet to own much mac make up and only have two single shadows! I want some neutral shadows!

• June 28, 2014 / 3:57 pm

The plum shade is gorgeous!! And swirled together – ahhh! 🙂
      I love their shadows but have been apprehensive of getting more singles because I’ve barely dented on my palettes.

15. June 26, 2014 / 2:01 am

Love packaging in this collection! I know I won’t be picking anything up from it… but the blush and lipstick is uber tempting!

<3 Pauline, ­­Addicted to Makeup

• June 28, 2014 / 3:59 pm

A refreshing take on their packaging indeed!

16. June 26, 2014 / 2:12 am

Love the classy packaging of this collection! I wasn’t super drawn to this new range, but the red lipstick really is stunning! Looks super pretty on you 🙂

• June 28, 2014 / 4:00 pm

Lady Danger is sooo gorgeous!! I’m in ❤ with it.

17. June 26, 2014 / 2:36 am

Amplified Lady Danger is so pretty on youuuuu. And so weird, I have the same prejudice against lip glass! I got one when I was in college and ang insane ng stickiness niya. Sobrang kapal it felt like I had five layers over my lips tapos ayun nga, nagtanan na sila ng buhok ko. Samesamesame!

• June 28, 2014 / 4:02 pm

DIBAAA. Kaya ako hindi nag-lipgloss for a long loooong time after that experience. Shucks, ganda ng Lady Danger, I’d wear it to sleep if I could. :)) First time ko to really like an orange shade!

18. Becoming Sleek
    June 27, 2014 / 12:11 am

The blush looks really good on you! And agree on the Osbournes, I am lemming the Sharon eyeshadow quad.

• June 28, 2014 / 4:02 pm

Thank you, Pat!! 🙂

And yes on the Osbourne collection – Sharon’s picks look so tempting!!

19. June 28, 2014 / 2:23 pm

Get the nude quad Shari! It’s so beautiful, I promise. I just started using it along with the Ruby lipstick from the collection. I am loving them both!

• June 28, 2014 / 4:03 pm

Nikki… please don’t enable my neutrals affliction. LOL! I wanna see it on you!!! Have you reviewed them na?

• June 28, 2014 / 4:16 pm

Not yet. I hope I can post it soon. Still struggling with taking a good #eotd haha

20. silverkis
    July 1, 2014 / 5:20 pm

Oh yes Lady D is so you!! *cat whistles* For a moment, I thought you were gonna say, once you go MAC, you never go back! LOL!

• July 8, 2014 / 7:50 am

LOL :))
      And woot, thanks for the whistles you sexy lady you 🙂

21. July 1, 2014 / 10:54 pm

OMG I thought the lippie was True Red ba un. Didn’t know na may LD! I got Roxo hehehehe

• July 8, 2014 / 7:50 am

Roxo is the other color I’d go for, too!!! Ganda!