My Skincare Routine at the Moment (and Maybe Forever!)

skincaretop skincare products 2014

Skin Saviors!

I’ve been babying my skin a few months after I’ve had the most massive breakout of my life. I stopped all skincare products and just used glycolic soap and the Avene Thermal Spring Water spray for two weeks or so. It didn’t stop the acne so I knew I had to put my first line of defense which I found in Effaclar Duo (European Version). When the acne finally calmed down, my skin was left ravaged — dull, uneven and filled with acne blemishes I’m left itching to treat ASAP. This post will just be an overview of each product because I still want to post individual reviews. It’s just that I’ve been receiving a lot of queries regarding my skincare routine on my ASK.FM account so I decided to make an entry about it already.  La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo. This was such a major skincare savior because in a week’s time of using it generously all over my face, it miraculously stopped the acne from multiplying exponentially. I was off to Boracay for a wedding a week or so after I started using this and even before I left Manila, I was almost cystic acne-free! I couldn’t believe it, either but this worked very well on my skin. I used this almost excessively day and night – it’s been two months and I still have 1/3 left of the tube. I don’t use this anymore now that my acne has subsided, but I do use it when I feel like another onslaught is about to ensue. SK-II Facial Wash. I also switched from using my 5% Glycolic Soap to this, because I felt that it may be dehydrating my skin already causing overproduction of oil leading to more breakouts. I can’t say that this facial wash has reduced my acne, but it definitely has contributed to calming my skin down further. It doesn’t leave my face tight or squeaky, but more moisturized and smooth as compared to when I was using the glycolic soap. I only have this in sample sizes and I’ve gone through two of them already. Thinking of repurchasing this, but not sure about that yet (plus I can’t really get hold of it easily here!). acne fighting skincare Bobbi Brown Advanced Brightening Serum*. This is my ultimate dull & uneven skin savior at the moment. Guys, I’ve never been this excited to share skincare results because I never really see visible, astounding ones. HOWEVER, THIS SERUM. I’ve only been using this for three weeks but I can safely say that my skin texture is at its best since the start of this year. I’m a skeptic when it comes to luxury skincare (oftentimes they are ‘watered down’ so as not to induce irritation on sensitive skin so efficacy is slow and sometimes barely visible) but with this skincare range, I’ve been converted. I’ll elaborate more about this and its ingredients on its individual entry but I must share – I’ve experienced micropeeling from this serum since I started using it until two and a half weeks into it. The biggest tell-tale that it has transformed my skin? My sister and mother asked me on separate occasions what foundation I was using when I was actually barefaced and only had lipstick on. This evened out my skintone so fast that even my dark circles have lightened as well. UGH. I want a backup, now! Bobbi Brown Hydrating Intense Night Cream*. I’ve been slathering this on and off while using the serum because I want to see the full effects of the serum alone. So yes, I’m not as religious in putting this on as I was the Brightening Serum. On nights I use this though (which is 2-3x a week max), I do experience plumper and more moisturized skin in the morning, like baby soft skin that I can’t help not touching. I told myself I must use this more religiously though because I’m afraid of over-exfoliating from the serum which may cause breakouts from dehydrated skin all over again *knock on wood!*.

That’s it – just a short overview on the skincare products that make me the happy acne-free girl I once was back then! What are your skincare saviors when you experience acne? Do share below!

1. Anne
    April 30, 2014 / 4:10 pm

How much is that Bobbi Brown Advanced Brightening Serum? 🙂

• April 30, 2014 / 5:10 pm

I believe it is at the Php5,000-Php6000 range 🙂

April 30, 2014 / 4:22 pm

Forever is a big commitment! I’m honestly not too fussy about my skin. I don’t want to mess up its natural balance. I’ve never even been to the derma!

• April 30, 2014 / 5:10 pm

Hahaha FOREVER~ is just a hyperbole, Ray 🙂 It just means I really like this selection of products that I’m considering not straying too far from them. 🙂 And oh when I was 16 and acne-free with super soft smooth baby skin — I wouldn’t use anything either! But I’m 25 and experiencing all these skin changes so I’m really on the lookout for skincare items to help keep my skin as wrinkle-free as possible when I reach the age of 35-40+!

3. April 30, 2014 / 4:52 pm

That Bobbi Brown serum sounds amazeballs! 🙂 I’ve heard good things about the Effaclar Duo rin, but I’ve never tried it. I love skincare so I get excited when you update us w/ your current faves hihihi. 🙂 For acne/breakouts, I am loyal to my exfoliants (Paula’s Choice 2% BHA & PC’s RESIST 5% AHA) & anti-bacterial products (Clindamycin toner I get from my derma at the Spa’s SKIN dermatology & laser center). For spot treating I used to use VMV Hypoallergenics red-better spot corrector which helps heal & soothe red angry zits & it also minimizes scarring (it’s been months since I’ve last used it though since I’ve been having good skin lately **Hallelujah haha hope my skin behaves forever! LOL**).

• April 30, 2014 / 5:13 pm

THANK YOU for sharing your skincare faves, Eileen! I’ve tried Paula’s Choice 2% BHA and it didn’t do anything for my skin huhu. I think I don’t get on with BHA as much as I do with AHAs. I used a Clindamycin toner too but it was too drying on my skin that I developed dry patches so I use it very sparingly on pimples and it works great but on cystic acne, not so much. I will take a look at the VMV corrector because I used their Re-Everything lotion and it worked great, but I gave it to my sister na because she was in need of a good moisturizer that wont break her out!

• April 30, 2014 / 5:39 pm

I think it’s coz my skin is super oily & prone to clogged pores kaya naging perfect candidate talaga ako for BHA & Clinda hahaha. Though they are both drying nga so I only use the BHA every other night & the Clinda naman I use once a day lang in the morning. Nightmare products ko naman ang Obagi 5% benzoyl peroxide & Tretinoin cream – those irritated my skin so much (dry, flakey, red hot mess ang level!). :)) I hope the VMV one works well on your skin if you ever do try it!! 🙂

4. April 30, 2014 / 5:46 pm

Le Métier de Beauté Peau Vierge Dark Spot Corrector (which I ran out of! HUHU!) and the Aesop Parsley Seed Serum. I’ve been using a bare Minerals product that I ignored for a while and it seems to be working great~!

• May 1, 2014 / 1:12 am

Did the LMDB Dark Spot Corrector fade blemishes?:) So curious! I’ve tried some “spot correctors’ that didnt work at all 😐

• May 1, 2014 / 1:12 am

Really good one, that one!

5. Becoming Sleek
    April 30, 2014 / 6:15 pm

I used to rely solely on Celeteque Acne Solutions line, but for breakouts that are really terrible, I use VMV ID Monolaurin Gel.

• May 1, 2014 / 1:14 am

Hi Pat! I haven’t tried the Celeteque Acne Solutions line but I’ve tried their facial wash before and it broke me out SADLY! Had to switch to Physiogel 🙁 Thanks for the tip on the VMV Monolaurin Gel, will keep it in mind. I like VMV products! Tried their Re-everything Moisturizer and it was gooood.

6. April 30, 2014 / 8:01 pm

I need to try that brightening serum! I had a massive breakout a few months ago that I’m still working on.

• May 1, 2014 / 1:15 am

The brightening serum helps in overall texture – really evens out the skintone with its gentle micropeeling effect!

7. April 30, 2014 / 9:43 pm

i like the effaclar as well. i think it can rely on it to be a gentle skin problem solver for when i get that awful bumpy skin phenomenon sometimes.

• May 1, 2014 / 1:18 am

I agree — it really helped smoothen out the bumps and stop the cystic breakouts. It wasn’t enough though, overall my skin still looked dull and sullen and in need of a pick-me upper!

• Guest
        October 24, 2014 / 9:08 pm

hi! where do you buy your effaclar? thanks!

• tesai go
        October 24, 2014 / 9:10 pm

hi! where do you buy your effaclar? thanks! got one as a sample outside phil, but can’t find it locally. 🙁

• October 24, 2014 / 11:46 pm

I got mine at Digital Traincase 🙂 dtcmakeup on Instagram!

8. April 30, 2014 / 10:57 pm

I’m surprised that even with such emergencies you still stick to (mostly) signature. Well sabagay, my emergency routine is Shiseido. I know it sounds indulgent, pero la kayo magagawa! Ganda ko kaya pag nakaShiseido (lol. hater-bait talaga ako magsalita.)

• May 1, 2014 / 1:23 am

Hahaha, my default emergency skincare routine is just glycolic soap + Avene. Kaya lang it kept getting worse so I had to try alternatives – Effaclar Duo helped a lot (and that ain’t signature!!). I got the Bobbi Brown items from winning an IG contest in their event so I gave it a try and unexpectedly, it worked wonders! I usually don’t turn to high-end skincare when I need real results but glad that this one didnt disappoint!! SQUEEE#@!*#

9. May 1, 2014 / 12:27 am

The Celeteque Acne Solutions facial cleanser saved my ass. I don’t get as much pimples as I used to (2 would be the maximum). BUT I’m still battling with the numerous blemishes 🙁 Idk what to do with them at this point 🙁

• May 1, 2014 / 1:25 am

Second Celeteque rave over here! I tried a facial wash before but it didnt work for meee :'( Had to switch to Physiogel / Cetaphil. For blemishes, if new-ish, you can use a product with AHA/BHA or Vitamin C to exfoliate the skin, thereby fading them slowly 🙂 if not so new though, intense peel or fraxel na usually recommended ng derma.

10. May 1, 2014 / 1:42 am

LRP Effaclar Duo unfortunately did nothing for my acne. It’s nice that it worked for you. I also started using the Mario Badescu Glycolic toner which is really gentle and has just 2% glycolic acid. I’ve posted my entire morning and night routine on my blog http://www.indianshringar.com.

• May 15, 2014 / 4:34 pm

We all have different skin types and what works for one may not work for another 🙂 I didnt expect LRP to work on me, but since it’s been a long time since my face received any AHA/BHA, I’m so glad it took effect. 🙂 The Mario Badescu line has great reviews, too! Thanks for sharing. But I’ve read about their steroid content which they’ve kept hidden from the public – so I’ve been wary of their skincare products 🙁

11. May 1, 2014 / 2:28 am

Beautiful picks! Happy to hear that you’ve found a regimen that’s working so well. You’re really tempting me with the BB Brightening Serum! xo

• May 15, 2014 / 4:34 pm

It’s a good one should you decided to invest ehhh, splurge – on a serum! 🙂

12. May 1, 2014 / 12:32 pm

Haaaay, SK-II!!!! I wanna try their products so bad! And I’m glad that you’ve found your HG skincare na. 😉 I’ve heard rave reviews about the eyecream from BB. I want it, but then I’ll have to wait for the Sephora sale. HAHAHA too expensive kasi =))

• May 15, 2014 / 4:35 pm

HG at the moment – because some skincare items cease to show effects na after some time so as of now I’m happily reaping the benefits these have! 🙂

13. Michelle | MyWonders❤MesMervei
    May 1, 2014 / 8:18 pm

Thanks for the review. I will definitely check the BB serum !
    Xoxo
    Michelle | MyWonders❤MesMerveilles

• May 15, 2014 / 4:35 pm

You’re welcome and thank you too 🙂

14. May 2, 2014 / 12:12 am

With “serums” I feel like it’s ok to splurge. I dunno, they do have a pore blurring/ brightening effect. one I really liked was Shiseido White Lucent Spot Targeting Serum. The compliments I got without any foundation or highlighter on? Overwhelming. I wish I can bathe in the serum. Now I want to try this one by bobbi brown.

• May 15, 2014 / 4:37 pm

The Bobbi Brown is WOW lang talaga. I haven’t had effects like it since I got a peel from my derma. Lancome Genifique & Visionnaire pale in comparison. I’m now a renewed believer in expensive skincare (sighhhh).

15. Nikki
    May 3, 2014 / 12:39 am

Hi Shari! How does the effect of the Bobbi Brown serum compare to the Alpha-H radiance serum you mentioned before? Which one had better results?

• May 15, 2014 / 4:38 pm

Hmm, the Bobbi Brown is more ‘intensive’ in brightening. The Alpha-H is more for exfoliating dead skin and clearing out tiny bumps, whiteheads 🙂 Almost the same in terms of exfoliating, only BB has a more powerful ‘brightening’ feature.

16. May 3, 2014 / 8:24 pm

You’ll do a full review of the Bobbi Brown Advanced Brightening Serum? Oh pretty please?

• May 15, 2014 / 4:38 pm

YES! Super soon.

17. Nikki
    March 8, 2015 / 1:57 am

Where can I possibly buy La Roche Posay products? I’ve seen a couple of online sellers but may take weeks or months till they arrive in the Philippines. Also, what can you recommend for acne scars? Thanks!