Rouge Dior Nude Lipstick in Sillage

Dior Lipstick Sillage Dior Sillage Lipstick Swatch Review

My Lips are Sill-ed

It’s no secret — Christian Dior’s Rouge Dior takes the cake as one of my favorite lipstick formulas at the moment. This is mainly attributed to its moisturizing feature that my extremely peely lips can attest to. I am a fan of matte and satin finishes in general, but sadly my lips are not. Most formulas I’ve tried dry them up in minutes or in hours and no matter how much prepping is done. So when I find a formula that doesn’t make them crack or peel, I always feel like offering some sort of sacrificial lamb to the Makeup Gods. sillage4 sillage3 copy

ONCE UPON A TUBE

I’ve poured my heart out for my favorite nude that I found in Dior Grege one too many times here on the blog so I’ll save you from yet another one. Anyway, because of my not-so-obvious obsession with that lipstick, I was itching to pick up another tube from the line. The Rouge Dior range has a whopping 32 shades in total. There may have been a one-hour swatchfest that ensued in a Dior counter somewhere (with a very patient SA that helped out in the process). With 31 shades to choose from, I mindlessly thought it would be an easy feat. I knew I wanted something I could wear everyday that’s not overly striking. Which means the flagship shades from the pink, orange and red color families — Darling, Trafalgar and 999 respectively — were out of the picture. It was especially tough letting go of that beautiful true red (999) and repeatedly seeing Natalie Portman wearing it didn’t help speed up the decision-making process either. After a hand full of swatches (and truly one of the nicest and most patient SAs ever still smiling after almost an hour), it was down to Rose Bonheur and Sillage. Rose Bonheur is a peachy-pink while Sillage is a classic coral. The deciding factor? Do I buy another peachy pink I can wear everyday or completely change the way I do everyday lipstick and go for coral this time? sillage5b sillage6b Rouge Dior Sillage Lipstick

Spillage on Sillage

Rouge Dior Sillage is a rosy, somewhat-red coral on me. It’s not super pigmented (as compared to the flagship shades that are BAM pigment in one go) — same with Grege — which I found has medium pay-off with one swipe and almost-completely opaque in two. Sillage, though, I could get away with by using one swipe (like above). The texture is that of a rich balm but creamy and not at all sticky. It glides on the lips like butter so it feels just like applying on lip balm. I would imagine that for the darker shades this would be a little tricky because with the slick and buttery texture, it’d be hard to be precise around the lip line. Also, it feels very lightweight on the lips despite the creamy slash balmy texture. For a cream lipstick, this lasts a good 4 hours on me (without eating!) and thereafter leaves a gentle stain. I’m okay with it not being long-lasting as I’m after the moisturizing feature, anyway. Sillage, however, has a tendency to accentuate flakies which I didn’t experience with Grege. This is easily remedied by proper prepping a.k.a exfoliating before wear. Overall, I think the Rouge Dior range is a win for those who have troublesome lips and are on the market for a lipstick that’s comfortable to wear because your puckers have had enough of those drying formulas — no matter how beautiful their satin or matte finishes are. If you’re adamant on just wearing matte, I suggest giving their Diorific range a swatch because MATTE!— though not as moisturizing as Rouge Dior.

1. Shane
    April 25, 2014 / 12:50 pm

How much po itong lipstick na ito? what about Grege? How much is that lipstick too. If you don’t mind me askin’. 🙂

• April 25, 2014 / 5:01 pm

It’s P1,750 – same with Grege. I think all Dior lipsticks actually cost the same 🙂

• Marjorie Gavan
        April 25, 2014 / 8:35 pm

It’s 1,750 pesos?! I think I just had a heart attack!

• April 25, 2014 / 9:19 pm

Steep, I know 😐 But for my dry lips that have given up on lipstick, this is worth it 😉

• April 25, 2014 / 9:33 pm

Woah! This is actually cheaper than I expected! Akala ko mga 2k++ siya! Hmm, pwedeeee

2. April 25, 2014 / 2:09 pm

Hey Shari, oh Sillage is such a darling shade on you! It looks like it’s got the previous-generation packaging, although I did find it in the new line-up. I guess it’s one of the popular shades that got carried over when Rouge Dior got its makeover last year! I am a big fan of the formula as well! It is as moisturizing as a lip balm for me!

• April 25, 2014 / 5:12 pm

Birthday girl hello! Hope you had a great one!
      Yes yes same here, my lips love the formula – can’t fault it! Regarding Sillage, I actually can’t find the shade in any retailer anymore 😐 I wondered if I got an old version and if it wasn’t carried over to the newly-reformulated line. But thanks for the heads up!

3. April 25, 2014 / 4:54 pm

I hate these kinds of shades on me… But you wear them really well! AND FOR WHY did you not buy this when we were swatchfesting? CHEADER CHEADER!

• April 25, 2014 / 5:13 pm

Bwahahaha cos I got this way back pa. Lookie the photo gurl, gamit na siya! 🙂 And why you hate corals? :'(

• April 26, 2014 / 12:02 am

I love corals but some of them look garish on me. IDK if you’ve seen any yet, basta! I ‘m planning an “Unexpectedly Ugly” lipstick post :[

4. April 25, 2014 / 5:27 pm

Oh my god!!!! I LOVE THE COLOR. The formula would be great for me as well as I have lips that are prone to dryness even if I always smother them with lip balm and even if I drink enough water.

• April 25, 2014 / 9:33 pm

Same here Aviva, my lips are in the worst condition na talaga that I’ve toned down on lipsticks till I found these moisturizing ones! 🙂

5. Michelle
    April 25, 2014 / 8:10 pm

You should try Dior’s Sérum Rouge !
    My lips never being better since i use it, paired with By Terry’s Baume de rose in the night.
    Sérum Rouge is incredibly hydrating, i use it alone or under any lipsticks that tent to dry my lips before. It works just so well !
    My sérum rouge is Coral Cristal.
    I love to paire it with rouge coco shine in flirt.
    The finish is bright, healthy, and natual, love love love.
    The only con is the lasting power. If you dont drink or eat, it’s ok. But otherwise you have to reapply it.
    For me it’s not a problem, it’s a pleasure to reapply Sérum rouge.
    Definitely not for a big évent or weddings, but for every day it’s really great !
    I’ve heard that Sérum rouge will be discontinued, if it’s true, i’ll get some back up for sure !
    Xoxo

• April 25, 2014 / 9:38 pm

Hi Michelle! Thanks for the input! I have actually tried a Serum Rouge and was thisclose to getting one. I felt that it was too slippery on my lips though but BOY DID THEY FEEL SPOILED AS HELL. Im okay that its not long-lasting as long as my lips are super moisturized 🙂 Because of this comment, I may just get one before they discontinue the range. Thanks again!

• Michelle
        April 26, 2014 / 3:20 pm

I tried them in shops longtime ago and never beeing sold. They there are a 50% réduction once in the drugstore and this was the only high end brand in perfect condition left. Because it look orange, just what i wanted to warm my Chanel rouge coco Shine in Flirt, so i bought it and it turns out that i love it! More than any other sheer lip sticks i have !
        I’m going to get 2x 455, a little more pink than the 235 Coral Cristal, and 2 more coral cristal for back up! It’s that good ! They are my HG cant live without lipsticks! Hope that if they discontinue it, they will replace it with something similar. Love love it, it’s a pleasure reapply it.
        Wish you a nice weekend !
        Xoxo

6. April 25, 2014 / 9:31 pm

Why is it like every freaking lip color out there suits you really well? Huhuhuhu I can never pull off this kind of shade. Super unflattering siya sa skin tone ko 🙁

• April 25, 2014 / 9:41 pm

Nasa makeup lang yan, gurl! I think if I wear it alone, chakabells siya!

7. April 26, 2014 / 2:35 am

What a pretty pink! Super feminine and versatile. Looks great on you! xo

8. expatmuaddict
    April 26, 2014 / 4:19 am

Rouge Dior is a brilliant formula!! This colour is perfect on you Shari!

Stacey Expat Make-Up Addict xx

9. April 26, 2014 / 11:00 pm

Tehhhh you’re so purty :3 I don’t think I have a lipstick similar to this! I can wear this color every day. Haha!

April 27, 2014 / 12:16 pm

Beautiful shade! Though the shade is something I generally steer away from.

11. Replica
    April 29, 2014 / 12:31 am

That’s a lovely shade on you, I really like this formula.

12. April 29, 2014 / 5:37 am

The Rouge Dior line is definitely for us ladies with dry, bothersome lips! Currently enjoying my Grege this week. 😉