Makeup Play: Enough Natural Looks, Let’s Go for Unnaturally Bright and Garish!

rbrcov

Change for the Brighter

While the no-makeup makeup look is near and dear to my heart, I sometimes think that it is too overbearing. Tellie recently wrote about the far-too-familiar unsolicited comments we makeup-loving ladies receive when we decide to sport bright lips or clownish cheeks or both. The comments section is filled with experiences that prove there is a certain stigma associated with girls who love color on their faces. As if there was any lack in the “Push for Natural Makeup” advocacy, online magazine Jezebel recently wrote a disconcerting article regarding the unnaturalness of contouring (of which the author made it seem like Kim K pioneered it). I will not link the article as but will lead you to the honest, no-bullshit response of Robyn of Brightest Bulb in the Box who eloquently wrote all that needs to be said. rbr2 So while I embrace the notion of real beauty and not hiding behind makeup, I don’t condone criticism of women who love to explore the wonders of makeup and cosmetics. Especially labelling garish lipstick lovers ‘ladies of the night‘ who should reserve the bright red for the red light district. Such an irony that we proclaim ourselves and our countries to be “very modernized”, yet traditional, crippling and shallow perceptions like these still persist. Anyway, I won’t go on and rant further. I’ll refer you again to Tellie’s post for an intelligently written response on this issue. In the meantime, I’ll share this FOTD that walks on the bright, garish and almost-clownish. HELL YEAH. I raise my glass to all makeup-loving ladies who embrace colorful, loud and lurid looks! Makeup isn’t rocket science, you guys. It’s meant to be casual, playful and enjoyable. bright0bbright2b
Products Used: For the eyes Rouge Bunny Rouge Delicate Hummingbird Rouge Bunny Rouge Unforgettable Oriole Bobbi Brown Gel Liner in Black Ink For the cheeks Rouge Bunny Rouge Orpheline For the lips Lime Crime Velvetines in Suedeberry For the base Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundatiom

I urge you guys to take a walk on the BRIGHT side and join in on this by posting your inexplicably colorful and most “unnatural” makeup look. Also, feel free to share your own unsolicited makeup comments experiences below!

*Affiliate Links

1. April 7, 2014 / 6:13 pm

I’m not sure if this counts but when I was in high school I wore a bright red tinted lip balm to school, and I have naturally full/fat pigmented lips so I guess that made the lip balm look more like a glossy lipstick on me… One of my guy classmates loudly made fun of me saying, “(while laughing) Ano yan lipstick? Bakit ka naka lipstick!? Uy naka-lipstick ‘to!” I was so embarrassed, and I quickly pulled out my tube of lip balm defending myself that it was just a lip balm. Looking back, I guess it was sorta silly but it still made an impact on me & I usually find myself reaching for more MLBB colors because of the fear that I might get humiliated again. I agree with you & Tellie, hands down… I LOVE bright colors & lippies and I love seeing it on others, and we shouldn’t be scared to choose bold colors because it’s FUN haha! <3

• April 8, 2014 / 6:52 pm

Funny story, babe!! I know during that time it was super embarrassing but looking back at it now, hay nako sila! It’s true though – those seemingly innocent experiences will stay with you. I remember my tita telling me before that red lipstick is too bright and not a color ‘decent’ women would wear which stuck with me and explains the reason I didn’t really wear red lipstick till I graduated and started working and saw that hellooo… I can definitely wear red and look “decent”.

I’m glad we found each other (us makeup junkies!!) in this world wide web though – which explains why I keep on blogging though sometimes it’s too time-consuming – because we understand each other and our penchants for bright, bold colors! To more makeup misadventures, yes? 🙂

• April 8, 2014 / 8:06 pm

Yes definitely! hahaha 🙂 My girl friends aren’t makeup junkies so I’m glad I found an online community that shares the same interests. Also, I think it’s AWESOME that you set aside time for blogging + responding to readers despite your busy sched. More power to ya! <3 <3 <3

April 7, 2014 / 6:34 pm

Really digging Suedeberry on you! Nowadays, I can’t even be bothered to apply foundation just cuz the weather does not permit it. Great look though!

• April 8, 2014 / 6:53 pm

Thanks, Rayray. A very light foundation like Bobbi or Koh Gen Do works really well for me despite the weather 🙂

3. April 7, 2014 / 6:50 pm

Seriously, I am loving that lip color! 🙂 And fuck the unsolicited comments. We should wear colors that we want to wear! :p

PS. Reply naman sa email diyan hahah

• April 8, 2014 / 6:53 pm

Thanks V! Sorry for the late reply 🙁

4. April 7, 2014 / 7:15 pm

i love the eye shade with the blush. yea, i hear you. mostly i stick to more neutral looks but sometimes i’ll grab something really bright and rock it for the day. those times are few and far between though.

• April 8, 2014 / 6:57 pm

Thanks Jenn!! I’ve been having too close a relationship with my neutral and barely-there looks but I think it’s time to brighten up our looks, yeah? 🙂

• April 8, 2014 / 6:57 pm

True, Arielle 🙂

5. April 7, 2014 / 9:00 pm

Woohoo! Been itching to brighten up my makeup, too. 🙂 Go girls who don’t give a fuck!

• April 8, 2014 / 6:58 pm

Itaas ang bandila!! 🙂 Can’t wait to see your brighter looks, Carinz!

6. Fred Gervacio
    April 7, 2014 / 9:21 pm

I agree on the “Makeup isn’t rocket science, you guys. It’s meant to be casual, playful and enjoyable.” statement. Very true, and some Filipinos are self-proclaimed ‘conservative’ kasi, they apply it on makeup which is a form of art. No boundaries and no limits. They just don’t understand. Makeup is a expression. Therefore we should have the freedom on how we want to do it. 🙂

• April 8, 2014 / 6:59 pm

AGREED! Makeup is a form of expression and we should be able to express ourselves be it naturally or boldly without any judgment 🙂

7. April 8, 2014 / 12:12 am

I do not care about the comments! I will use up all makeup that I buy! Hehe. I don’t care if I am the only one wearing colorful/dark makeup in the office. I love to experiment on my looks. 🙂 I also learn more techniques, and I learn what color/look suits me best. 🙂

• April 8, 2014 / 7:00 pm

YOU GO GIRL! I wish more women would feel as ‘liberated’ (I hate how this word has a negative connotation in our culture) as you (us!) when it comes to this matter. Not that it’s bad they stick to natural, but they are stifled because they think when they experiment with color, they’ll be judged. 🙁

8. April 8, 2014 / 2:22 am

I only usually get the “tone” or the occasional “whoa” but most of the time people don’t care anymore. Have you heard about the song Magdalena? It’s about a “working girl” and there’s a line there about “kolorete sa mukha”

• April 8, 2014 / 7:04 pm

Will listen to it, pero parang I heard it on the radio. That’s good that in your workplace, no “tones” are sounded off. I used to work in an environment where bold and bright makeup looks are showered with compliments (um probably cos it was a beauty company although we handled the fashion/accessories division) so I was fortunate enough to be able to experiment then without any judgment 🙂 I think that’s where my love for makeup was born cos in my job prior that one, I barely had time for makeup plus people didn’t wear any kasi lahat haggard.

• April 10, 2014 / 3:14 am

Was that an auditing firm? I worked in one and the majority of the people there (including me at the time) didn’t wear makeup.

9. April 8, 2014 / 3:23 am

Make-up is freedom – the freedom to be whoever you want to be that day. I embrace it fully & I feel sorry for all women who feel like make-up or make-up techniques like contouring and the women doing these are ‘stupid’. They think they’re sending out a certain message, while actually they’re doing the exact opposite.

• April 8, 2014 / 7:05 pm

Beautifully put, Isabelle! I want to quote you on that one 🙂
      “Make-up is freedom – the freedom to be whoever you want to be that day”

I really feel sorry for whoever wrote that article and those who blindly agreed with her, too.

10. April 8, 2014 / 4:43 am

Very pretty! Love that shade of lip colour on you. Have been wanting to try the Lime Crime Velvetines for a while! 🙂

• April 8, 2014 / 7:05 pm

Thank you Jenn!! Red Velvet is next on my list 🙂

11. Coco
    April 8, 2014 / 6:36 am

Will be reading Tellie’s post now 🙂 I hate reading those “when/who/wear/how will I wear that???” comments on bold makeup reviews/looks. Eyeroll. You would wear it the exact same way you would wear that boring neutral shade you always use! LOL. Joking. But seriously, just because you wouldn’t wear it, doesn’t mean someone else wouldn’t. Makeup is fun! xx (P.S. by “you” I mean those people, not you you Shari!)

• April 8, 2014 / 7:09 pm

I feel you, Coco!! Those comments – ugh! They get to me, too! I think most girls are hesitant to rock those bold looks because of the unsolicited comments and judgment all around. If only more girls were like us, devil-may-care when it comes to application – there would be much less insecure girls who focus on the wrong things in life ;)) LOL!

12. April 8, 2014 / 11:22 am

F* those people who post those kind of comments. Those who do not understand the world of make-up do not get any kind of sympathy or understanding from me. I like my make-up and I’ll use them however I want. Bright or barely there, I don’t care! 😉

• April 8, 2014 / 7:11 pm

Strong statement, I LOVE IT NIKKI! I swear, I wish more Filipinas would adopt this attitude! 🙂 I mean, those who love makeup but are afraid to experiment for fear of criticism.

13. April 8, 2014 / 3:10 pm

I don’t know why, but ever since the summer started I’ve been drawn to the brighter shades in my collection. It’s something to do with the lighting! And I completely “get” the frustration. It’s like the “no makeup” look is the only acceptable makeup look pero hello, nagmakeup ka pa?

And thaaanks for link-dropping me ^_^

• April 8, 2014 / 7:13 pm

Like I said, I get the no-makeup makeup look and its merits BUT it’s not the only acceptable makeup look. Kainis lang na porket di natural, di na maganda. And of course Tellie, happy to spread your article – I think more people should read it! Heck, I want it to trend on Facebook!!!

14. Lily
    April 8, 2014 / 9:57 pm

Not garish at all. The brightness is soft and brings youth to the look 🙂

15. April 9, 2014 / 10:20 am

So flawless!!!! Hay, I wear bright lipsticks to school and buti naman wala pa kong narinig na bad comments. But heck, I don’t care kung anong sasabihin nila because at least, I have color on mah fez. Hahahaha! Kainis ung mga ganong nilalang!

16. Makeup With A Heart
    April 17, 2014 / 3:33 pm

I tend to forget mascara when I’m excited too xD I used to pile it on but after too many weird stares, I toned it down to almost nothing. Lately, I’ve been gradually putting things back in my routine and realized how much I missed experimenting with different looks and colors 😀