A Brilliant Red: Pixi Tinted Brilliance Balm in Rosy Red

pixi brilliant balm rosy red review

Another Red, Another Day

I don’t have a lot of reds in my stash so a new one is always welcome. I’ve had this Pixi Tinted Brilliant Balm* in Rosy Red for quite some time now so it’s quite a shame I haven’t written about it yet cos it’s a beauty, you guys. I haven’t tried a lot of these jumbo crayon lip balm slash lipstick hybrids (only Revlon’s Just Bitten) so I can’t compare Pixi’s to others like it in the market. Pixi is more of a “drugstore brand” in the US and UK but here in the Philippines, its prices fit somewhere above drugstore and below high-end. So, while it’s not exactly cheap by Philippine beauty landscape definition, it’s not entirely expensive either. But the quality? I’d have to say its is definitely at par with most of the more high-end brands. pixirosyredpixirosyredb2

The Lowdown

Pixi Tinted Brilliance Balm in Rosy Red is a cherry red with tiny hints of pink. The texture is that of a glossy balm with a bit more slip than the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm stains. It glides on smoothly and much easily than I expected (as most balms have a slight stickiness to them and this had none). The slip also reminded me of the NARS Satin Lip Pencils that glide on like butter on the lips. As for pigmentation, Rosy Red is heavily pigmented. One swipe produces an intense color that made me wonder if it was a balm or a lipstick. It produces an even layer on the lips when applied without any patches. The finish is glossier than what I’m used to but not at all sticky or tacky on the lips. On the contrary, these feel very moisturizing and hydrating that I wore it without any flakies or peelies at all. Having said that, as a sheen-filled lipstick, the full-on sheen lasted 2 1/2 hours and faded by the 3-hour mark. Still, the color was intact with only a bit of feathering. By the 4th hour, the saturation wasn’t as intense as when applied but instead left a beautiful even stain on the lips. I would have reapplied by this time but I actually like my tinted lips as is so I didn’t. pixi tinted brilliance balm rosy redpixirosyred5pixi tinted brilliance balm rosy red

OVERALL THOUGHTS

For Php790, this is definitely a cheaper alternative of the more high-end jumbo crayons in the market. I would personally like to compare these to the Happy Skin Shut Up & Kiss Me pencils that are new in the local beauty scene but have yet to grab my first one. Pixi’s Brilliant Balms are ultra-pigmented, moisturizing and plumping (with its hyaluronic acid ingredient) so you definitely get the best of both the lipstick and the lip balm worlds. There is also no sharpening involved as it is a twist-up stick so no product wastage at all (yes, I’m looking atchu NARS Lip Pencils). I’ve a few more Pixi products to share that I’m absolutely loving at the moment so if you’re interested, do check back. Have you tried any Pixi Brilliant Balms? Or any of these jumbo lip pencils in the market? Share your thoughts, please!

Pixi Beauty is available at Glamourbox Philippines. *No affiliate links

**Pixi Brilliant Balm in Rosy Red was a press sample at an event. I received no compensation for this review nor was I required to write it. All thoughts are purely my own.

April 19, 2014 / 12:03 pm

Looove red. My go-to lip color! 🙂

• April 24, 2014 / 1:34 am

Because it looks lovely on you dahling! Don’t ever stop 😉

• April 24, 2014 / 1:34 am

Thanks so much Stacey! I normally dont wear reds so this is almost rare hee 🙂

2. April 19, 2014 / 4:59 pm

Whoa PIGMENT! This reminds me: I gave a friend’s 16-year-old sister a bag of makeup that I think she’d enjoy. Out of that bag (where you can find brands like Bobbi Brown, Dior, Guerlain, and so on), guess what she enjoys the most? A Pixi balm that changes color on the lips! 😉

• April 24, 2014 / 1:37 am

That Pixi balm/tint that changes color is interesting! And I’m with your 16-year-old sister – when I was her age, my mom would take me to Dior, Chanel counters just to try to get me interested cos she thought I was too ‘boyish’ LOL! The only thing that caught my interest are those colorful Lancome Juicy Tubes I wanted to collect :))

3. April 19, 2014 / 7:46 pm

I’ve never tried any Pixi products! I remember seeing this brand at Target and always hesitated to purchase a product because it’s definitely more expensive than most drugstore brands in US. The pigmentation, though! Bet! 🙂

• April 24, 2014 / 1:38 am

I was surprised too Emae, but it was a good kind of surprise! 🙂

4. April 20, 2014 / 8:58 pm

I so love the Pixi Tinted Brilliance Balm! Rosy Red looks fab on you! See you again soon, Shari! 🙂

• April 24, 2014 / 1:39 am

Aww long time, Jes!! Hope to bump into you soon, too! And I love these brilliant balms too. Deciding on what shade to get for my next one, actually. Any suggestions? The berry one looks so nice too!

5. April 20, 2014 / 11:20 pm

I have yet to try anything from happy skin too. Wala pang color that really speaks to me.

• April 24, 2014 / 1:39 am

Same. They have lovely pigment and feel but the shades aren’t speaking to me either!

6. April 21, 2014 / 2:42 am

Okay, I looooove the color! But I much prefer the Revlon Matte balms.

• April 24, 2014 / 1:46 am

I tried the matte balms but they don’t like my cracky lips! Super drying tingnan even if not particularly drying naman. 😐

• April 24, 2014 / 1:40 am

Thanks, Kristen!!!:*

7. Marjorie Gavan
    April 21, 2014 / 8:37 am

Can’t believe it’s just a balm, the consistency is that of a lipstick.

• April 24, 2014 / 1:40 am

True, dear!

8. April 21, 2014 / 11:46 pm

Haven’t tried anything from Pixi… yet. I’m eyeing quite a few items though. Hehe

• April 24, 2014 / 1:41 am

They are quite the surprise. I thought they were just so-so but I’ve been using most of the Pixi items I have regularly – like these balms, the eyebrow duo and their nude/white eyeliner.

9. April 22, 2014 / 12:53 am

I’m super surprised with this because I got the Tink Tint which is a magic balm naman! It changes color based on your acidity but when first worn, it’s almost translucent. The other shades are super pigmented pala! And your lips look so ~juicy here :*

• April 24, 2014 / 1:43 am

Ayun, the tink tint! It’s been mentioned by a comment below nga! I haven’t seen that around, to be honest. It sounds like the Dior Lip Glow. Moisturizing ba? And yah, their brilliant balms are surprisingly super pigmented, esp the darker shades that I’ve swatched like this one and the berry one. Wow juicy~ talaga, parang chicken joy lang? Haha! Thanks Tellie!

• April 24, 2014 / 11:20 am

It is! I use it like Chapstick para maging juicy din lips ko, teeheehee!

10. Becoming Sleek
    April 22, 2014 / 10:48 pm

I love Pixi lippies! I have Magic Tink Tint and Craving Coral from the Tinted Brilliance Balm line and I love both of them! I also was able to try the newly released Shea Butter Lip Balm line and I’ve fallen for those too!

• April 24, 2014 / 1:45 am

Craving Coral sounds like my next purchase, if not the Bitten Berry one 🙂 Thanks for the suggestion, Pat! The lip balm sounds good, too.