Tom Ford Lipstick in Sable Smoke

tom ford sable smoke lipsticktom ford sable smoke lipstick

Up in Smokes

I’ve been holding off on a few Tom Ford reviews because I got some feedback that they aren’t too relatable (as well as Chanel and the like). So I deviated a little and explored other brands because agreeably, I needed to tone down on the $$$ makeup. I found my way to the drugstore brands and discovered some treasures and hidden gems among the aisles (which I’m all currently testing so no reviews yet!).
However, while I love raving about cheap thrills and awesome non-bank-breaking finds – there’s just something particularly thrilling about finding out if luxury products live up to their price tags. Soooo… here I am. Slap me sue me for being unrelatable but I can’t quit this, you guys. *hides in corner*
I’ve written about two Tom Ford lipsticks before – Crimson Noir and Spanish Pink. The former I wasn’t too thrilled about (texture, shade and overall quality) while the latter I dub as one of my all-time favorite everyday lipsticks. I’ve realized with Tom Ford lipsticks (also confirmed by other bloggers and readers) that there isn’t consistency in the Tom Ford Lip Color line.
tom ford sable smoke lipsticktom ford sable smoke lipsticktom ford sable smoke lipstick tom ford sable smoke lipstick

THE LOWDOWN

Sable Smoke is a beautiful caramel mid-tone beige that I wanted to be my end-all be-all nude lipstick. It’s a very thick emollient and pigmented cream that feels and applies like a matte but has a slight sheen preventing it from being a true matte. One swipe gives a very smooth, opaque color on the lips. It’s much thicker than the two ones I’ve reviewed before, Crimson Noir and Spanish Pink. Also, it’s much heavier in feel so you’d really feel the weight of the lipstick on when worn.
Although it feels hydrating because of the thick consistency, I don’t find it particularly moisturizing. Also, it has a tendency to settle into my lip lines which isn’t too nice to look at. When I do two full layers though, it isn’t as settl-y but then it already feels too heavy on the lips. I do find it very comfortable to wear though because it doesn’t emphasize flakes or make my lips peel, so despite not being moisturizing, it’s not at all drying either.
One thing I can not absolutely stand is the scent. It’s not the faint tolerable vanilla scent that I picked up from Crimson Noir and Spanish Pink. Good god, it smells like a super synthetic cream concealer/foundation from the 90s. My nose twitches every single time I put this on, no kidding. I’m not sure if I got a dud or what, but the scent is nowhere near faint. I may be the one to faint should I smell it continuously (which I once thought in desperation of doing to suck all the scent out).
tom ford sable smoke tom ford sable smoke

FINAL THOUGHTS

Anyway, despite the few misgivings, I find myself pulling out Sable Smoke quite often because I find it such a beautiful nude for my skintone (at least I think so!). Despite not being as creamy and as moisturizing as Spanish Pink, I still find wearing Sable Smoke comfortable on the lips (worn in one full layer or two light layers, max) because it’s not drying at all.
It is quite emollient and much thicker than the two other Tom Ford lipsticks I’ve tried. The shade has won me over that I’m thinking it may actually be my end-all be-all nude lipstick if not for the repugnant stench my nose can not tolerate too much of.
I won’t even talk about worth because I certainly expected more from all the three Tom Ford lipsticks I’ve tried being $49 a pop. A bit more hydrating, perhaps? And if not, at least be able to stay on the lips longer. In the pay-off and texture department though, I have no qualms. They are richly pigmented and apply smoothly like luxe lipsticks should.
I’ve been eyeing another shade in the lip color line, Pink Dusk, but am holding off on any lipstick purchases because.. I don’t need any. Period. I’ve been super tempted to try the Lip Sheers recently launched but am not particularly drawn to any shades in the line, especially those with microshimmer. I have a few quads lined up for review, though, so to those who aren’t Tom Ford fans – heads up!

Any Tom Ford lipstick experiences you might want to share? If none, I’d love to know your favorite lipstick finish – matte, demi-matte, satin, sheer, cream, name it!

You can buy Tom Ford Lip Colors online in Nordstrom and Selfridges.   *Affiliate Links

1. Keiti Dontcare
    March 29, 2014 / 11:30 pm

I love a good satin finish!!! ^_^ I have a similar lipstick color, although not a Tom Ford. It looks like you’re with and at the same time, without make up, so weird 😀

• March 30, 2014 / 11:57 am

Hehe Keitz, it’s called hastily-applied-makeup!! :)) I dont have any foundation on kaya all my imperfecshunz are peeking through (HELLO!) but I’ve some concealer, eye makeup and curled lashes to compensate haha!

2. March 30, 2014 / 12:24 am

It definitely looks pretty on you though. 🙂

• March 30, 2014 / 11:57 am

Thanks yettiebabe!

3. March 30, 2014 / 2:56 am

Sable smoke is how Velvet Teddy looks one me. Bakit kaya nila iniba yung scent. It can really be bothersome on lipsticks cause you put it very near the nose.

• March 30, 2014 / 11:59 am

Ooooh. Velvet Teddy looks darker one me, deeper tone peach/beige. Grabe yung smell nito, I’m not sure if it’s cos luma na or what pero smells like concealer/cream foundie from the 80s/90s talaga!! 🙁

4. anne0822
    March 30, 2014 / 9:44 am

But that’s why I love this blog in the first place, it’s because of those bank-breaking makeup reviews that i could not afford or won’t spend for! Anyway, you look better in these pictures… Must be the makeup or the pictures itself since you’ve been gorg since ever. 🙂

• March 30, 2014 / 12:00 pm

Awww Russelle Anne!!! Thank you thank you for the sweet comments ha! DAY MADE* Kilig! Anyway, I share my love for everything here, bank-breaking or dirt-cheap basta good quality 😉 Thanks for the love, babe!!

5. March 30, 2014 / 2:34 pm

Shari!!! Do you watch Raeview on YouTube? You’re like her local counterpart, always featuring luxury makeup at its finest! 🙂 Anyway, the color looks pretty on you, ganda!!!

• March 30, 2014 / 6:20 pm

Awww Kim, thanks naman pero nope di ko level si Raeviewer noh! Hehe. I dont watch a lot of Youtube videos eh pero I follow Rae’s instagram and gurrrrl, her level is way up there! 🙂 Heyyy, long time no see! Hope to bump into you soon 😉

6. Diana Na
    March 30, 2014 / 3:17 pm

I honestly like reading your views on high end makeup! Believe or not, whenever I feel like a luxury product I would usually hop on and read what you recommend, or if I like whatever lipstick shade I would see if you have written about it! Quite a blog fan, aren’t I hahah

• March 30, 2014 / 6:24 pm

Hi Diana! Thanks so much for the feedback, appreciate it loads :* And nope, not a blog fan at all – just a fellow beauty lover attracted to pretty, shiny things!! I love sharing my “passion” (ehem*addiction*ehem) with fellow passionate (ehem*addicted*) readers and friends!!

• March 30, 2014 / 6:27 pm

Thanks, Zaz!! Always appreciate your comments!

March 30, 2014 / 5:40 pm

Gorgeous nude. Okay. That’s it. Say hello to my new Tom Ford baby. Placing my order nowwww. We’ll see if yours really was just a dud!

• March 30, 2014 / 6:28 pm

RAYRAY! I super love this but yah.. the scent 😐 Hope I just got a dud cos I wouldnt want you to suffer through the stench when putting this beautiful shade on! Lemme know how yours turns out, kk? Shall wait!

8. March 30, 2014 / 6:16 pm

Ahhhh Tom Ford <3 I've never tried any TF products, but my first two lippies (funny that they're from the Lip Sheers collection) are now on their way. I can't wait! Hihi

It looks good on you, teh. Light shades are really your thang. Kainggit! 🙁 I'm excited about your TF quads! Hihi <3

• March 30, 2014 / 6:30 pm

Awww thanks Emae! I initially thought I’m not fit to wear light shades but after many trial-and-errors (more errors sadly! HAHA), I found the perfect shades of ‘nude’ to complement my skintone 😉 As they say, you have to kiss many frogs before you find your prince – same goes for lipsticks! You gotta ‘kiss’ a few unsuitable bullets to find your best match (be it red, nude, orange, pink!) 😉

9. Icaria
    March 30, 2014 / 7:11 pm

A lipstick with a bad smell/flavor? Count me out! This is something I just can’t get do because in some instances I ended up bordering sick. This is really a lovely nude on you, my faves so far are Dior Grège and Charnelle which are both creams. 🙂

10. March 30, 2014 / 8:13 pm

I really don’t mind reading your high-end makeup posts because they are drool-worthy, and if they make you happy, then why not? 🙂

Someday, I will buy these high-end makeup and will surely back read your posts so I will know the good stuff! Hehe.

11. Kristi C.
    March 30, 2014 / 8:46 pm

I definitely agree with you that there are good products to be had from drugstore to high end. I’m okay with $35 for a lipstick but haven’t been able to bring myself to spend $50 for a lipstick. And scented – that’s a strike against. I enjoy reading posts on higher end products both to live vicariously and to see if there is something that I think would be worth dropping the $$ on. In my opinion, if you got the funds to spend on higher end products and you enjoy them, then go for it! And I totally get the thrill of finding a high end product that is worth every penny you spent on it!
    This is a very pretty color on you! I have yet to find a nude lipstick that looks good on me – it is a tough category to get right. My preferred lipstick finishes are creams, sheers and satins. I’m not a fan of shimmers or mattes. I love the classic look of a matte lipstick but I find that that finish looks harsh on me.

12. March 30, 2014 / 9:05 pm

Although you do put up a lot of high-end, luxury products, they’re all still great reads. Makes me want to win the lottery (kahit di naman ako tumataya hahaha) just so I can purchase all the ones that you’ve raved about :p Anyway, I love this shade on you, I swear! If I were as light as you, I would definitely get this! Kebs na sa price, it’s just too pretty! 🙂

13. March 30, 2014 / 9:28 pm

That’s my biggest gripe with the line, it’s just not consistent. But he does great shades that you kind of need to have :p. I love Sable Smoke on you, it’s perfect! Not too beige, brown or pink, but just right! It’s very odd about the smell though, I need to check this out for myself .

14. March 31, 2014 / 4:15 am

What a pretty nude shade! Not sure if I could pull it off, but it looks lovely on you! My favourite Tom Ford lipsticks are Indian Rose and True Coral 🙂

15. March 31, 2014 / 12:27 pm

I actually went back to your review of Spanish Pink to compare swatches — I like that one better. I want to wait until you try Pink Dusk before I commit to buying. It’s a battle between Spanish Pink and Pink Dusk kasi hehe

16. thinacruz
    April 1, 2014 / 10:57 pm

I’ve been hunting nude lipsticks and I think I wanna get this!!! It hope it doesn’t wash me out.

17. Bryn
    May 29, 2015 / 3:42 am

Sable Smoke should smell like vanilla (standard TF scent for lippies). Sounds like you received a rancid one if it smells waxy like crayons or play-doh. It might have turned during storage if exposed to extreme heat, even if it’s not past expiration date yet. Just my two cents – an avid TF collector

• October 16, 2017 / 11:30 am

Just got 2 Tom Ford lippies yday and i tried one today and I noticed it smells off too. Checked the mfg date and its not expired naman but I just find it smells so waxy and off :((( do you think its normal or should I get mine replaced? Worried to have spent so much on a rancid lipstick.

18. October 16, 2017 / 11:29 am

• November 6, 2017 / 12:30 pm

Hi Angel! I would say definitely have it replaced. It shouldn’t smell rancid or waxy.