Tom Ford Eyeshadow Quad in Golden Mink

goldmink1gm2

League of Shadows

Ever since I learned proper eye makeup application (which to this day I still can not perfect but remain steadfast that I will sometime soon I HOPE), I’ve been looking high and low for the supposedly ‘best‘ eyeshadows (palettes, quads, trios, singles you name it) in the market. Of course, I haven’t tried enough brands to be able to proclaim the bests and worsts yet.
However, with the shadows I’ve tried so far – I pretty much already know what I look for in a formula. Great color pay-off (on the lids especially!), easy-to-no-effort in terms of blendability, ultra-smooth and buttery texture, long-lasting and crease-proof (although a primer usually solves these two issues) to name a few.
I’ve found a few good formulas with most, if not all, of those features in the drugstore aisles as well as in more high-end brands I’ve featured in this blog (referring you to the Eyeshadow page). I could’ve stopped with Burberry and Rouge Bunny Rouge as I found my ultimate favorite formulas in those two brands.
But no, some kind of beauty-obsessed freak, I had to get my hands on a Tom Ford quad to see for myself how spectacular they are because my trusted beauty gurus slash enablers (shoutouts to Michelle and Alex!) love the formula. I’ve actually reviewed one before, one of my Tom Ford favorites, Orchid Haze.
goldmink3 goldmink2

THE LOWDOWN

Golden Mink isn’t actually my first quad, that spot belongs to Cognac Sable. Golden Mink was actually a gift from my husband when he went to Europe for a trip and remembered my on-and-on yapping about how extremely high the mark-up of Tom Ford items are from a local stockist.
Would’ve ordered online but Neiman Marcus (Nordstrom didn’t have TF yet then) charges shipping to the courier forwarder that I didn’t want to pay additional for (hashtag firstworldproblemsfromathirdworldcountry here). The quad was his personal choice, too!
Anyway, enough yapping and on to the review. In general – I love the texture of Tom Ford’s eyeshadows. There, I said it. It’s not overly bold nor strikingly saturated – rather, it gives off just the right amount of pigmentation and pay-off when swiped on the skin. It’s super smooth (as it should be!) and a bit creamy without being crumbly at all.
Moreover, the real beauty comes out when they shadows are applied on the lids. They are almost opaque in one pat and blend easily with little-to-no effort. I absolutely can not fault the formula of most quads, much as I want to, to save myself from future expenses.
gm3tom ford golden mink swatch

SHADE SELECTION

But for this entry, I will wax poetic about Golden Mink – home to four stunning neutral-to-warm soft bronze shades with two glitters and two satins. Now, I am not a fan of SPARKLE!!! on the eyes especially for daytime, but you know what? This quad unexpectedly converted me – from the glittahphobe that I am to a bring-out-the-sparkle-baby in just one go.
This is because I find the glitters more delicate and ‘grown-up’ (as described by most bloggers) as compared to most glitter shades in the market that are “WHOA GLITTERZ!”. In turn, the sparkle in Tom Ford quads actually translate to being wearable even for the day. Definitely an upside because hello? Who can justify owning this palette if you’re only able to wear the two non-glitter shades all the time?
Speaking of the non-glitter shades… the two satin selections in this quad are B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L. Too beautiful that I even almost misspelled beautiful because I was picturing the shades in my head. In my swatches, they both look very taupe-ish but the lighter one is a neutral nude beige with silver undertones and the other is a cool brown shade. I can’t really describe these shades fully because I suck at that as they are much more complex and multi-dimensional than they look in 2D.
Overall, the four shades make for a very sophisticated and elegant daytime look. I honestly thought I would get very little mileage with this quad when I opened it but turns out, I’ve pulled it out more than I already thought I would. I’ve used it for going to events during the day, meetings and even to Church on Sunday (sans the sparkage!).
goldminkc goldmink2bglit2

FINAL THOUGHTS

Bottom line? Golden Mink is an unexpected love. The glitter shades initially turned me off but was quite enamoured with the two satin shades. In a Tom Ford twist of fate, I’m no longer a glittahphobe as you can see above how the sparkle looks subtle, delicate and wearable. Grown-up glitter, indeed.
I think if you’re on the lookout for a Tom Ford quad to start with but are overwhelmed with the choices, you can go with the forever-recommended Cognac Sable or this, Golden Mink, which I would recommend more. I find Cognac Sable trickier to work with. The shades are just too strikingly coppery on me. Golden Mink is a more subdued, wearable and flattering palette (for many skintones) in my opinion.
I wouldn’t go as far as saying these Tom Ford quads are worth every cent because hell no, no palette is technically ever worth $78. But if you love the shades and see a good amount of use out of them, then that’s money well spent right there. As for me, Golden Mink is a winner. Cognac Sable? That’s for another entry!

1. March 31, 2014 / 8:16 pm

Hahaha, definitely definitely grown up glitter. I think I prefer golden mink over cognac sable and I might just have similar colors in one of 2 of my palettes 😛 I’ll just imagine them to be tom ford. 😀

• April 1, 2014 / 2:37 pm

Haha Rae :)) The shades seem dupe-able in 2D but there is depth to the two satin shades that’s not visible in photos, only when worn and seen in person 😉

• April 2, 2014 / 3:08 am

And that’s what we’re paying for. 😀

2. Steph gods
    March 31, 2014 / 8:30 pm

Gorgeous neutral shades perfect for every day but too pricey for 4 shades. Thanks for sharing I want to try that out once I start earning.HEHE

• April 1, 2014 / 2:37 pm

Too pricey, I agree! :- But yes, it’s a nice treat for yourself one when you get extra savings soon 😉

3. cielo
    March 31, 2014 / 9:13 pm

I really love your taste in make ups! Wish I can learn how to put good make up too haha ♥

THE GIRL BEHIND THE PEN

• April 1, 2014 / 2:38 pm

Thanks baby C! 🙂 Practice makes perfect! I still have not mastered eyeshadow application yet but that won’t stop me from learning 😉

4. March 31, 2014 / 10:18 pm

OOO this one is right up my alley! Cognac Sable is too warm for me, but I’m sure you can rock it, too! Can’t wait to read that post 🙂

• April 1, 2014 / 2:39 pm

I’ve worn it several times but always feel … weird. I like the shade selection but I don’t think they like me. LOL! And yes, Golden Mink looks like it was made for you Sunny 😉

5. Bea
    March 31, 2014 / 10:44 pm

Sigh. This is so beautiful but $40 too expensive. Also, random, but Emmy Rossum approves of your taste in makeup:

• April 1, 2014 / 2:48 pm

UGH, I agree – $40 too expensive. 🙁
      Yay mah gurl Emmy Rossum loves Golden Mink, too! LOL so random! How’d you come across the photo btw? 🙂

• Bea
        April 1, 2014 / 9:07 pm

I happened to be browsing ONTD when I read your post and it was there. Which is not uncommon, because I happen to browse ONTD every other hour of the day.

6. Coco
    March 31, 2014 / 10:50 pm

:O I need a TF quad in my life xx

• April 1, 2014 / 2:49 pm

Just one to try, Coco 😉 Just one 😉

7. Claudia
    April 1, 2014 / 12:04 am

This quad is gorgeous, it’s so beautiful! LOVE the look you created too, beautiful eyeshadows! I need!!

Claudia xx | Beauty and the Chic

• April 1, 2014 / 2:49 pm

Thank you Claudia 😉 I appreciate the compliment!

• April 1, 2014 / 2:50 pm

The packaging is okay, I like the mahogany and gold but the plastic body is… 😐

8. April 1, 2014 / 12:48 am

Huhuhu. So pretty! And guuurl, ano ba. Your eye shadow application skills are waaaaaaay better than mine. Ang galing galing mo na!! 🙂

• April 1, 2014 / 2:51 pm

Awww thanks naman VVcakes! Pano ba naman, kulang nalang maglagay ako ng eyeshadow bago matulog :)) Super hell-bent on practicing and perfecting application much? HAHA!

9. April 1, 2014 / 2:33 am

I’ve been wanting to buy more of these quads and it looks like you just got me interested in this one too, noooo! ^^ I absolutely love the shades on your skin tone. And yes, Tom Ford seems to do sparkle very well, it’s so different from the normal sparkle too!

• April 1, 2014 / 2:53 pm

It is very different, Teri! I’ve shied away from frost/sparkle ever since (no Dior quints for me!) but am quite taken aback by the subdued sparkle of TF. Golden Mink was the one I overlooked when I was choosing quads to put in my wishlist, but it turns out to be a nice everyday palette I reach for more often than the others I actually chose 🙂

10. April 1, 2014 / 4:02 am

oh it is such a beautiful quad! the colors are all very wearable and I love the look you created!
    Tom Ford eye shadow quad and lipstick are on the top of my list! I really want to give it a try but they’re so expensive T-T

• April 1, 2014 / 2:54 pm

I AGREEEE why can’t they drop the price $30-40 less please! We all need at least one Tom Ford quad or lipstick in our lives 😉 Haha. Not really but what beauty addict ever says no to some Tom Ford? 😉 Cant wait to see what you pick out, Pam!

11. April 1, 2014 / 4:10 am

Beautiful palette. I dont have anything from TF yet but this blog post is definitely enticing! 🙂

• April 1, 2014 / 2:55 pm

Oooh, thanks for finding it enticing Yettie!! I love being an enticer 😉 HAHA!

12. April 1, 2014 / 7:15 am

What a beautiful collection of cool neutrals! Tom Ford products are lovely 🙂

• April 1, 2014 / 2:55 pm

Their quads and lipsticks are my favorites 😉

13. April 1, 2014 / 7:23 am

Just the name itself sounds like a must-have for makeup collectors! This is just a beautiful GORGEOUS quad. Plus, you’re stunning with it and the eyeliner looks wonderful!

• April 1, 2014 / 2:56 pm

LOL yes – Golden Mink is quite enticing to the ear! Thank you Jen! 🙂 And actually, the eyeliner is shit hahaha, I mean look at the wonky line, I really am not friends with any eyeliner 😐 But thank you for the sweet compliment!

14. Lily
    April 1, 2014 / 9:07 am

Thanks for the swatches! I only have 1 Tom Ford quad, and that’s Cocoa Mirage. Love the mostly matte palette and the texture is amazing 🙂

• April 1, 2014 / 2:57 pm

Lily! I recently got Cocoa Mirage as a gift and I’m excited to try it out! Been eyeing it for the longest but couldnt get myself to purchase yet another neutral brown palette 😐 Thanks for the heads up on how amazing the textures are – now I’m more excited to try it out!!

• April 1, 2014 / 2:58 pm

Cant wait to see what you pick out 😉

15. April 1, 2014 / 2:26 pm

This is such a beautiful cool toned quad! I would love a trio from them though, especially the rose golden one! You’ve done a great look, so flawless and wearable for every occasion!

• April 1, 2014 / 2:58 pm

It is, Sharlynn! And thank you thank you for the sweet comments 🙂 The Rose Gold trio – you mean In the Pink? 🙂

16. April 1, 2014 / 4:54 pm

i think this is the palette hollyannaeree raved about in one of her recent youtube videos? not sure if you watch her! but colours look lovely on you x

Hanh | hanhabelle

• April 1, 2014 / 5:43 pm

Oooh I don’t really follow her but will check it out? 🙂 Thanks for the lovely compliment, Hanh!

April 1, 2014 / 6:33 pm

Ahhh, Golden Mink, the first quaf I’m lusting after. Then comes Cognac Sable. Then She Wolf Trio. Then Orchid Haze. Demnit u did this to me, woman! (1/2jk) You are now a novice in eyeshadow skillz. Haha I really love your eyeshadow looks. Shaaanxo on Youtube did a look with this. I believe a GRWM for her going away party. Check it out! Loved her look with this. 🙂

PS Now that you’re back, our Starbucks date! Paging V!!

18. April 3, 2014 / 7:48 am

Ooh, Golden Mink looks gorgeous! I want it to be my first Tom Ford eyeshadow quad but I haven’t checked the others yet. I tend to avoid looking at Tom Ford products because it’s too addicting. LOL

19. April 3, 2014 / 10:08 pm

Love love love this palette!!!! Wish I can afford TF quads na. Huhu! I have a lot of unused palettes here (ehem, the LM palette which you bought for me), and I don’t see myself splurging for an overpriced one real soon. Maybe in the next few years nalang. Hehehehe

20. Pingback: Homepage