Ending Blush Week with Chanel Joues Contraste Blushes

0chanel blushes4

Blush Week Series Ender

We’ve reached the end of what seems to be the blush blackhole I got sucked into this week, you guys! It was a bit tiring to talk about blush for seven straight entries (with a break in between) but thank you to everyone who plowed through those days with me. I really appreciate it, especially the time you guys took to leave comments and join in on the conversation. Much love, sisters!
For this Blush Week ender, I’ll save the long and somewhat monotonous breakdown and instead just talk briefly about the first ever powdered blush product that made me realize I can wear one without looking overdone (in spite of my chronic heavy-hand syndrome!). Yup, of all the blushes in existence, it just had to be a Chanel blush.
My first seemingly intimidating plastic black compact with the signature interlocking Cs was actually just a hand-me-down from my mom who didn’t realize she bought two items of the same shade. Instead of returning it, she gave it to me to try out despite her knowledge of my aversion to blushes (as I only ever wore cheek tints then). And that, my friends, is when things started to spiral out of control. Hah!

The Lowdown

As with the eyeshadow quads, Chanel’s blushes also come in two formulations — the US non-baked pure powder version and the European/rest-of-the-world baked version. The US versions are more pigmented, non-shimmery and just pack more punch than most, if not all, of the baked versions. There are some baked ones, though, that are very pigmented and come sans shimmer like Fleur de Lotus. But in most cases, the European version is quite sheer compared to the US version and contains microshimmer. Also, they’re drier and are quite powdery.
However, I don’t hate the Euro version of blushes as compared to the eyeshadow quads that I rant about endlessly (which by the way was recently reformulated!!). The baked version I’ve actually come to love because I like the soft, airy finish on the cheeks. They’re very natural and hard to overdo. As I’ve mentioned one too many times during this blush week, I’m a big fan of sheer/buildable blushes much preferring them to highly pigmented ones.
Fleur de Lotus is a peachy pink coral. It was initially an Asia-Exclusive shade but was sold in the US via Nordstrom. It has no discernible shimmer in pan and even looks matte upon swatching but leaves a slight luminescent sheen on the cheeks. It’s one of the sheerer shades of the bunch yet I would say this is in my top three favorites. I believe this is being compared to NARS Orgasm sans the shimmer. Thought this has been already discontinued but apparently is still available on Nordstrom now.
Rose Inital (review here) is a neutral rose pink shade that’s been raved about by many to be a universally-flattering shade. It has identifiable microshimmer in pan but the specks don’t at all show up on the skin, instead just translates to an indiscernible glow on the cheeks. This is one of my most-used shades despite being a fairly recent purchase as I find it to be a very easy-to-wear everyday shade.
Rose Tourbillon (review here) is a bright almost-raspberry hot pink with silver shimmer and is definitely one of the more pigmented shades in the range. It looks scary shimmery in pan but when applied on the cheeks doesn’t translate to a glittery mess. I don’t particularly reach for this often, as I’m boring and safe and stick to my light blushes 90% of the time. But

1. March 16, 2014 / 6:19 am

Accent has always fascinated me, though I’m not sure how often I’d use it. It’s a bit like one of the new Hourglass blushes, though that one is a bit more wearable

March 16, 2014 / 10:29 am

Whoooaaahh that’s a LOT of Chanel blushes.. when I saw Ultra Rose, I thought of TF Narcissist (which I rarely use) but it’s actually to bright bubblegum pink! Quite like Dior Rosy Glow blush, if I’m not mistaken. I definitely need to purchase a Joues Contraste soon. I was thinking of picking up Accent if it’s still available.

Fave blush of all time would be…. NARS Amour. Such a beautiful berry-pink shade.

3. Katsy Faustino
    March 16, 2014 / 12:45 pm

I loved blush week Shari!! 😀 for these Chanel blushes, Ultra Rose and Candy are calling out my name. I like the bright and the barely there it seems. Looking forward to trying out the Clinique and skipping out on the Hourglass (except maybe that one bright shade whose name I’m missing at the moment) thanks to your posts! 🙂

4. March 17, 2014 / 12:15 am

I only have one Joues Contraste! I couldn’t get na Notorious, which is what I really wanted 🙁

5. March 17, 2014 / 8:07 am

The one blush that started my addiction would be the NARS Deep Throat. I can always rely on it no matter what. It has been a favorite throughout the years. But…. the Chanel creme blushes is ascending the ranks of my most loved blushes. Btw, thanks for sharing your collection Shari. So many eye candies! 🙂

6. Kristi C.
    March 17, 2014 / 8:31 pm

I haven’t dipped my toes in the Chanel blush pool. But this post is abt to push me over the edge! I can totally understand why Rose Initial is a favorite. My favorite blush of all time is Bobbi Brown’s Pale Pink.

7. March 18, 2014 / 10:38 am

Accent is basically yodeling my name!! Oh…that is a gorgeous blush. Too bad I just bought a blush literally today that is also a neutral, nudey-esque color, so for now Accent will have to go on the ol’ wish list. I loved your story about how your blush fiending began with a hand-me-down from mom and exploded from there! I sincerely wish I had a family member who doled out Chanel blushes! Lots of love! XOXO

8. March 18, 2014 / 1:41 pm

Oh, Chanel. I will have one of these someday. I’m still drooling over all the Chanel products that you’ve posted in the past.

9. March 25, 2014 / 6:36 am

you kow whats old. for a while, i really wanted a chanel blush but i dont konw what…maybe the colors just don’t appeal? but i haven’t picked one up yet. i dont feel like anything really stands out and i have similar colors already. i’m in agreement with you, not particularly impressive or noteworthy but some of the shades are quite pretty.

Jenn