Blush Week: Diorblush in Coral Cruise

dcc dcc2

I Blushed At First Sight

Are you guys excited or what? No? Just me? Anyway, I’ll be starting another “Week of” feature (my last was Lipstick Week) and this time, it’s devoted to blushes! I think I peaked on this whole blush thing two years ago because I enjoyed one too many NARS shades  that I felt.. “What else can this thing do besides making my cheeks look pink, peach or red?”
I seriously felt that despite the variety of pinks, corals, tangerines, fuschias, rosy reds… they’d all register on my cheeks so similarly I wouldn’t even be able to differentiate them. So I let blushes go and focused on eyeshadow, lipstick, skincare, etc. instead. Except when those painstakingly beautiful Chanel cream blushes launched in which all blush hell broke loose.
Moving on to my first blush week feature, I’ll be talking about a seemingly unpopular formula, Diorblush. Remember my Dior Counter Hopping a.k.a temptation island almost two months back? Well, I was pulled in by the big pans of blushes displayed that I couldn’t help swatching them all.
dcc3dcc4

Coral Cruisin’ (is made for love)

..I love it when we’re cruising together. One shade particularly called out to me because I think I didn’t have anything quite like it yet in my stash and you know once you think of that excuse reason, what comes next is inevitable. Seriously, sometimes, I need handcuffs to keep me from forking out my wallet and surrendering to the lure of shiny objects.
I didn’t know that these blushes were also recently reformulated together with the Rouge Dior lipsticks. Not sure if they were done at the same time, but apparently, Dior has been doing some reformulations with their products. I personally haven’t tried any shade from their old line of blushes. So, I can’t compare if this new one is better or worse than the original, but if you’ve experienced both – please do share your thoughts below.
dcc5Bdcc6

The Lowdown

Shade and Pigmentation. Coral Cruise is a peachy-pink coral with virtually undetectable shimmer yet has a slight glow preventing it from being a flat matte. Shade-wise, it’s not at all unique. Despite the intense shade in pan, pigmentation is very sheer. It definitely fails at color pay-off department, but since I am a fan of sheer blushes because I prefer building up color than having to sheer it out once already on the cheeks, this didn’t really bother me much. However, if you’re looking for intense pigmentation that most NARS blushes have, then this would be a disappointment for you.
Texture.It is very thin and quite silky, but powdery! It’s not chalky, though. But it does kick up a lot of powder when used with a firm hand, making it quite hard to blend when you do end up with a few chunks of powder on your face. I’ve then learned to use a light hand when picking up the powder, even if I have to layer it on at least twice or thrice to end up with the opacity I liked.
Wear Time. This is the surprising element I found about the blush.. it lasts at least 7 hours on me (sans sweating, though). I couldn’t measure it for longer because I had to take my makeup off already, but it didn’t fade at all. I would think it different for those with oilier skin types, though. But for my combination-dry skin, it’s a winner in this aspect. I guess I expected it to wear off easily because of the faint pigmentation, which explains my surprise.
dcc7dcc9

Comparisons

Dior Coral Cruise has more pink tones as Chanel Revelation which surprisingly leans more coral (but it’s actually a medium pink). NARS Amour is a deeper pink and not as peach/coral than Coral Cruise. NARS Gina is tangerine, so far from Coral Cruise.
Below are all the shades of the new Diorblushes. There is a variety in shades as well as finish so if you’re curious, do some swatching in a counter near you.
dcc10b

Final Thoughts

I am a bit underwhelmed with Diorblush. I sorta like the texture when I swipe it with my fingers because it’s silky and smooth but. but. The powder kicking is a bit too much even for my low-maintenance blush preference. Maybe the powderiness is key to its long-lasting-ness? Okay, fine, I’m pushing it. It’s ‘cos I really wanted to love this blush, to be honest.
I do like it enough to use it because the shade is a perfect brightening pinky-coral that I love and the pigmentation issue doesn’t bother me at all (because as I said, I like to build up than having to tone down) but it does take some work to get it blended well. I don’t know, I have this mindset that blushes have to be easy to use with minimal effort.
Overall, I would have to say that I like this blush but I don’t recommend it to everyone. It’s nothing phenomenal, though. I think there are a certain few who would prefer their blushes in this formula but not too many, I suppose. If you’re keen on buying any Dior product, I would highly recommend trying out one of their beautiful Rouge Dior lipsticks, the Dior Skinflash ‘wake-me-up’ highlighter (better than YSL Touche Eclat, they say) or their Diorskin Nude Loose Powder instead.

March 5, 2014 / 5:45 pm

It looks quite subtle. I’m not too big of a fan of blushes. Thinking that I look ridiculous with them on when I don’t smile. Bronzer tho… love those. Still a beautiful shade though but it doesn’t seem the most unique.

• March 11, 2014 / 12:39 am

Oooh, what are your favorite bronzers babe?

• Raven Ang
        March 11, 2014 / 5:52 am

NARS Laguna (of course), Too Faced Chocolate Soleil, this really old Lancome one that I forgot the name of, Jouer Mattifying Bronzer, to name a few. Definitely recommend the Jouer one. It doesn’t slip and slide throughout the day when I end up as an oily mess.

• Raven Ang
        March 11, 2014 / 6:08 am

• March 11, 2014 / 12:39 am

Hi Katie! Love the shade, too!
      And the font I used? Handwritten by me using a tablet 🙂

2. Wajiha Sajid
    March 5, 2014 / 6:48 pm

it’s such a lovable shade!

• March 11, 2014 / 12:40 am

I think so, too! 🙂 Thank you!

3. March 5, 2014 / 8:05 pm

Whoa, that is one hell of a beautiful blush. I know these are permanent so, I therefore conclude that I won’t rush to the nearest Dior counter and swatch like crazy. 😉

• March 11, 2014 / 12:40 am

I second the motion – but I must urge you to swatch fest soon! Also, I heard the new collection is out!! Super nice daw the LE blushes!

4. March 5, 2014 / 8:15 pm

I tried a Dior palette a few years ago and was underwhelmed by it. I had the same thoughts about the palette that you do of the blush. It’s steered me away from purchasing more.

• March 11, 2014 / 12:41 am

I’ve never been enticed to try the quints because they border on frostyland way too close 🙂

5. March 5, 2014 / 9:03 pm

Hey Shari, oh this is pretty! Sorry to hear you’re a little underwhelmed! I have only tried Corail Bagatelle from the new formula, and I don’t think the brush kicks a lot of product loose! It does look very nice on you though. I’m glad to hear it’s long-lasting as well. I hate it when blush doesn’t last the whole day, so I end up looking tired by the end of the day!

• March 11, 2014 / 12:44 am

Maybe I use a heavy hand 😐 I saw Corail Bagatelle and omigosh, it looks so pretty! They seem similar, though – i have to check out CB in person soon! And yes, this really lasted long on me!

6. March 5, 2014 / 10:16 pm

Hi Shari, this is such a pretty color! sorry to hear that the formula was not a champion.. It sucks when such an expensive product doesn’t stand out..
    I am not a fan of DIOR make up line in general, since I have only had average experiences with their products.. disappointing for such a high price point T.T

• March 11, 2014 / 12:45 am

It sucks when such an expensive product doesn’t stand out.. — TRUE. I never learn that just because it’s expensive doesnt mean it’s automatically impressive. I love the Cheek Pops better than this.

7. March 5, 2014 / 10:59 pm

I feel the same about blushes. Different shades don’t look ANY DIFFERENT on me! On pale people they have more of an effect. Shame about the formula on this one.

• March 11, 2014 / 12:46 am

I agree. And actually – the formula isn’t soooo bad, it just isn’t so spectactular, esp for the price.

8. March 6, 2014 / 12:19 am

I really really love the swatch on your arm though! It such a pretty pink coral, maybe you’re not packing on enough for a visible difference? I’m quite a heavy blush person so I guess it’s easier for me to be able to tell the difference. Thank you though for letting us know that it’s not a to die for product! I really would like a powder or lipgloss from them soon as a treat to myself!

• March 11, 2014 / 12:48 am

SHARLYNN you are absolutely right. I think I tap off way too much that when I apply, it never builds up to the level it should. LOL. I used it again and loved the shade on me when I packed more on. But still, it’s nothing spectacular! If you love the shade enough though, that’s a different story!

9. March 6, 2014 / 2:40 am

It’s nice that you included a photo of all the current Diorblush colors — not many beauty bloggers do that, and it’s so helpful! And tempting! Haha. This isn’t a popular opinion but I actually am attracted to blushes with glitter (but not shimmer) so I like that bright red with the gold glitter!

10. CarolCosmos
    March 6, 2014 / 3:44 am

I have a blush from that same line in Brown Milly, which isnt brown, but its so beautiful and I HIGHLY recommend you go and check it out!

11. Emi Doll (恵美)
    March 6, 2014 / 8:19 am

Such warm and beautiful colours, perfect for spring time that’s coming ^^

恵美より ♥

emi-doll.blogspot.jp

12. March 6, 2014 / 9:34 pm

What a great and in depth review, the blushes look really pretty on you.

Hanh x | hanhabelle

13. March 6, 2014 / 9:42 pm

I seriously like the color. But like you said, it’s not at all unique so no-no. Plus it’s expensive so meehh. I’d be better off with a MAC or NARS blush.

14. March 7, 2014 / 11:35 am

I LOVE CORAL BLUSHES. And Dior. Nuff said. Hehe but I’d rather their limited edition blush from the last collection, if I’m not mistaken.

15. Sharmaine Sun
    March 7, 2014 / 3:51 pm

That’s a great shade! Too bad the color pay off was meh.. Thanks for doing the review! Couple of months back, I debated whether to get these while I was in Germany, good thing I didn’t =)

16. Lily
    March 8, 2014 / 9:40 am

Aaw, too bad you don’t like it as much. Diorblush is one of my favourite formula. The few I own have great pigmentation. Maybe it’s just that shade you picked? Strange… I do like that while pigmented, they’re not so overwhelming that you have to be super careful while applying. I hope your next experience will be better for you!

17. March 8, 2014 / 10:07 am

i like sheer blushes too. because I have trouble controlling too much pigment.

18. March 10, 2014 / 5:39 am

I definitely prefer a sheer blush formula that I can build-up rather than have to sheer down. This post was very informative and overall hilarious! Speaking of the counters like they are “temptation island”!? You are the best, Shari! 😀

19. Max
    March 11, 2014 / 7:07 pm

Your lack of regard for grammar is proportional to my lack of respect for you.