Blush Week: Tom Ford Love Lust Blush

ll1 ll2

Are there Diamonds in this Blush?

…cos it’s so exxy, there should at least be some swarovski stones in it. Anyway, this isn’t a new acquisition like most of the blushes I’ve featured so far. I’ve had this blush for at least 6-7 months already, but I’ve procrastinated on doing a review because I just couldn’t pen down my final conclusions on it except for it’s too much to pay for a frikkin’ blush.
Hence, I’ve just been sitting on the product (not literally, although I could do that too to test its mighty Olympus-bred strength, I mean it must be suuuper durable for the price right?) waiting to lay my final thoughts on it. So here we are, Blush Week Day 4, and we’ll be tackling a blush from the higher-end spectrum responsible for the death of all bank accounts and wallets a.k.a Tom Ford.
This is actually one of my first Tom Ford purchases together with Cognac Sable eyeshadow quad and Sable Smoke lipstick, all thanks to the ease of GCASH-AMEX* that allowed me to order these at Neiman Marcus sans the shipping and customs hassles that come with shopping abroad. For more info on how to use GCASH-AMEX, refer to my post here
ll3 ll4b

The Lowdown

Shade. Love Lust is a brown-based peach with some very slight pink tones in it making it look like a coral. On my medium Asian skin, it registers very peachy-coral. Most peach-pinks (no matter how tiny the amount of pink is vs. the peach) always end up looking more pink than peach on me, so I am very elated that Love Lust is peachy on me overall. Many compare this blush to NARS Orgasm, which is a pinky peach – definitely more pink that it almost looks neon-y on me. Love Lust has warmer undertones preventing it from pulling too bright a pink or peach on me at least.
Texture & Finish It’s silky smooth all right, but that’s to be expected of this swarovski-laden blush so it didn’t at all surprise me. It’s quite buttery too, but kicks up just a little bit of powder when swirled, so it’s best patted on. The finish is not just a subtle glow like Rouge Bunny Rouge and Clinique’s , it’s more of a full-on sheen — which I love as I’m currently into highlighters and glowy stuff.
It’s not sparkly or glittery, just a bit frosty but not to the point of pore-emphasizing. I would imagine you could achieve the same effect with any matte blush by just adding highlighter on top. Also, despite the tiny amount of powder kickoff when swirled, this does not register powdery on the skin at all.
ll5
Pigmentation How do I describe thee? It’s well-pigmented but not opaque. Quite sheer but has great color pay-off. Paradoxical, right? Because the pigments are so finely-milled, you get a product that deposits a lot of color without needing to achieve maximum opacity. Did that make sense?
Anyway, you’ll see in the swatches what I’m yapping about here. But yes, I think one of the strong points of this blush is that it achieves this kind of opaque finish with one swipe that looks natural without screaming BLUSHHHHHH.
Longevity. This is pretty long-lasting as it has stayed on for a full 9 hours with minimal fading, of which I didn’t feel the need to touch up yet. I got quite oily in my T-zone at the same time, but the blush didn’t slide off. Impressive.
The blushes that would rival this long-lastingness are the Chanel Creme Blushes but that’s of a cream formula, which is to be expected to hold up longer than powder formulas. Scratch the natural finish being the strong point, I think this super long-wearing feature of Tom Ford blushes is the strong point worth noting.
ll6CllswatchesC

Comparison Swatches

I instantly thought of MAC Stereo Rose as the closest shade with the same frosty finish to compare to Love Lust. MAC Stereo Rose is less pink (despite what my swatch looks, it’s definitely more peach/orange than Love Lust but less brown). Dior Coral Cruise is way more pink compared to Love Lust and NARS Gina is a tangerine. Overall, Love Lust is pretty unique in my stash of blushes.
You can also see in the face photos below how it acts as a subtle contour shade as well, which is much more apparent in person. I swear, the colors aren’t even 80% accurate in my camera and our computer screens to how it registers in person.
DUPE ALERT! Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso is said to be the dupe for Love Lust.
lovelustdlovelustc

Final Thoughts

So what have I learned in my 6 months of sitting on this Tom Ford blush? I think $56 is too much to spend on a blush (although when converted to USD, the Chanel blushes local price amounts to more or less the same figure which is still crazy to spend for a blush).
While I think Tom Ford blushes are of great quality, they’re not revolutionary enough to be must-haves. I would only recommend getting one if it’s absolutely a shade you can not achieve with lower priced blushes. Or if you love luxury brands with good formulas and beautiful packaging, you can’t go wrong with Tom Ford (although you could go crazy and broke from wanting more).
I have to say, though – I do love Tom Ford’s blush formula more than Chanel’s (especially since we get the baked ones here). It is long-wearing as hell, with only very minimal quantity and effort to be used. In the photos above, I only used one swipe for each cheek and just blended (although not too well LOL) thereafter to sheer out the edges.
For matte / satin blushes though, I still love my Burberry Light Glows and Rouge Bunny Rouge Original Skin Blushes and would not be getting any Tom Ford blushes that are matte, for that matter. I’m not particularly interested in any other Tom Ford blush at the moment as I was really only attracted to Love Lust, so as of speaking, I won’t be getting any more Tom Ford blushes soon.

Have you tried any Tom Ford blushes? Would love to hear your thoughts.

March 9, 2014 / 9:08 am

I felt so much guilt after buying this. But my experience was so fricken good I bought Wicked and Narcissist as well. I’m still berating myself of as to why I would buy Narcissist. #nocontrol But you have to admit, they’re a thing of beauty. Thinking of picking up a few quads. Recos? 🙂

• March 11, 2014 / 12:20 am

Oooh Wicked 🙂 I want Ravish if ever I’ll get another one pero mukhang not anytime soon. Narcissist, though. GOOD BUY!!

For eyeshadows, Cognac Sable is always a favorite, as is Cocoa Mirage. Orchid Haze is of better formulation, though. To be honest, no must-haves especially if you have so many eyeshadows na as the shades aren’t so unique. Though Emerald Lust, Burnished Amber are the more ‘unique’ quads 🙂

• Raven Ang
        March 11, 2014 / 6:04 am

I was thinking Golden Mink actually. The 2 shades were so prettt and glittery. No Emerald Lust for me! Daaang do you own that many quads?

2. March 9, 2014 / 10:10 am

That blush looks awesome on you! And it’s such a unique color 🙂

• March 11, 2014 / 12:15 am

Thank you Mari!

3. March 9, 2014 / 1:13 pm

So good yet so expensive. Haha! The only TF that doesn’t make me feel so guilty is their lippies. I can’t see their blushes as “investments” for now. Gotta stick with NARS at the moment. 😉

• March 10, 2014 / 12:14 am

I feel the same way. Because I’m a lipstick person. But if I were a blush person, I just might. 😛

• March 11, 2014 / 12:15 am

I would suggest sticking to lipstick! Blushes tend to all look the same kahit iba-ibang shades 🙂

• March 11, 2014 / 12:15 am

That’s true! I felt the same so I think one TF is enough 😉 Specially since they almost look the same on the cheeks!

4. March 9, 2014 / 7:48 pm

I’m sure that the Tom Ford blushes are very overpriced for what they are but something still draws me to them. I just can’t decide which colour to get!

Laura | Breton & Blush

• March 11, 2014 / 12:14 am

Love Lust, Frantic Pink, Flush and Ravish are the top favorites! 🙂

5. March 10, 2014 / 10:32 am

The shade is super pretty! But not at all original in my opinion. I can probably get something similar for a lesser price. Haha. And you look hella good with that winged eyeliner! Puuuurrfect! 🙂
    PS. Rae and I are planning to meet up on the 22nd. You up for it?

6. March 10, 2014 / 4:39 pm

PS. Rae and I are planning to meet up on the 22nd. You up for it? Tell me if you’re free that day. Also, paging @ravenang:disqus :))

• March 10, 2014 / 7:26 pm

I’d love to join you girls but I won’t be in town on the 22nd 🙁
      Attending a wedding + it’s my birthday sa 21st!! Hihi.
      When I get back, let’s sched another meetupzzz 🙂

• March 10, 2014 / 8:32 pm

Wag ka ng mag birthday. Hindi na uso yun! Haha. Grrr, sige. When you get back ah? :)) And advance happy birthday, mi love. *throws confetti* <3

• March 10, 2014 / 8:49 pm

I knoooow who still celebrates birthdays after their 18th (or 19th, fine)!? Haha, and di rin talaga ako makakacelebrate since aattend kami wedding on the 22nd. 😉 See you girls when I get back. Push naten to!

• Raven Ang
            March 11, 2014 / 6:02 am

Advanced happy birthday!! 2_!! Hehe pwede ata ako 22. 🙂

7. March 11, 2014 / 9:25 am

*drools* This is so gorgeous! I haven’t bought any TF blushes (yet, haha). $56 seems a bit much for me right now. I can get at least 2 NARS blushes for that price. But maybe someday, I’ll own at least Ravish and Flush. 😉

• March 11, 2014 / 12:09 pm

Agree. You have to try at least one someday, Nikki! 🙂 And I would go with Ravish – it’s more ‘unique’ 🙂

8. March 12, 2014 / 10:41 pm

First of all, what kind of swatch perfection is in this post? I appreciate. Love how glowy this looks on you, it really has a beautiful radiance to it. I’ve been wanting to get my hands on Milani blushes but it’s near impossible where I live. Plus, y’know, don’t need any more blushes/makeup etc. for the foreseeable future and all that. I would probably pick this if I were to majorly splurge on a TF blush, but his lipsticks are first on my list!