The Only Spring Quad For Me: Chanel Lumieres Facettes in Quadrille

q0bq2

Love at First Swatch

I have to admit I wasn’t at all enticed to grab this palette when I saw it online. I mean, come on Chanel, where’s the trendsetting brand I once knew? Of course, this may just be my defense mechanism for the onslaught of desire and hankering that are to come. True enough, as I swatched the quad in the counter… I was devoured. Goodbye, restraint, common sense, no-buy realizations, blahdiblah. Chanel Lumiere Facettes in Quadrille is my first non-rest of the world palette that I bought here in the Philippines as we never really get those over here in the Third World, just those dinky ole round ones with the poorer pay-off, powder galore and just basically… shit (oh and Hi, I’m the shithead who still buys them). Sometimes, one or two palettes would come out superior than the rest (cue in Chanel Seduction), but those are more the exception than the rule.   Quadrille is a mix of plummy mauve, salmony coral, deep chocolate and a golden beige highlighter. It reminded me of Seduction waaaay too much even before I picked this up so I didn’t even give this a second look when I saw swatches of it online. PASS, said the woman with a plan. However, upon swatching it in store… take all my money baby Jeezus! I think it’s because I’m so used to swatching those le shit baked quads that take at least three swipes to fully show up on my arm that one swatch of this almost made my panties drop. q1q3

The Lowdown

The texture is just super creamy, finely milled and silky smooth (something I didn’t think I could say about Chanel shadows!). The two shades on top have that subtle sheen and slight iridescence (as seen on the photo above, the one in direct sunlight) while the two below register more matte. The photo below it shows the palette after use — ummm, what.. I just used this!? Where are the powder puff girls? Almost no powder kicking in this palette, I was kinda stunned (note: this is in comparison to the baked version). As for pigmentation, they are not bold, saturated or intense but compared to the le suck I mean baked versions, this is definitely, no doubt notches more superior. Same as the baked versions, these can also be used wet and damp so you can build up the intensity as you please (I have yet to try this damp because I am already impressed with it dry). The most pigmented is the dark brown followed by the salmon shade with golden beige being the sheerest. And as for longevity, this lasted 8 hours without any creasing, fading whatsoever – although I may have to attribute that to the NARS primer which I may not be able to live without anymore. q5q6

Swatches

I swatched Eclosion, instead of Seduction (which is really the more similar palette) because I’m currently experiencing the result of my makeup disorganization (I can’t find Seduction!!!). Anyway, although they are worlds apart in shades, I wanted to show the pigmentation difference. I have Eclosion in the Euro-Asian rest-of-the-world baked version and I had to swatch three layers to show up as pictured, whereas the Quadrille shades are only a layer each. lookquadrillequadrilleye

The Look

So I bought the palette mostly because of the texture and the major difference from the baked version, not because I as completely in love with the shades. I mean, I was even hesitant at that pinky coral shade thinking to myself, “howdyhell do I wear that!”. Fine, maybe I’ll just wear it sparingly (or not at all), says the woman with a plan again. In a twisted but very much welcomed turn of events, I actually fell in love with the coral shade among the four that you can see it used not at all sparingly in the look above. I even liked it so much I’ve worn it four times already!

Final Thoughts

I think those who’ve experienced the beauty of the US versions of Chanel eyeshadows — this quad is just another palette, maybe even worse than the regular US version they’re used to. But for someone who’s been accustomed to the le suck rest-of-the-world baked palettes, this is something worth checking out and even getting especially here in the Philippines where these US versions rarely ever make an appearance. Sure, the price is outrageous but I’m talking irrationally here (so listen but don’t listen). Overall, I quite love this palette. I mean, I’ve been compulsively wearing it out a lot. Also, the shades are a great break from neutrals without treading won’t-go-out-of-the-house unwearable territory. In fact, I’ve never been more relaxed and comfortable wearing non-neutrals in my life. I even got complimented by the Dior and Guerlain SAs when I went back to the mall to check on the creme love-of-my-life blush, Intonation.

THOUGHTS, LADIES?

February 4, 2014 / 3:44 pm

Eeeee! It’s gorgeous!! This may just be my first Chanel quad. It just looks too pretty to pass up. I hope you can find your Seduction quad. 🙁 Outrageous price? Huhuhuhu

• February 4, 2014 / 5:42 pm

It iz it iz!! I would recommend trying the shades on though to see if you like it 🙂 Also, it wouldnt be a bad first quad – its the US version we rarely get here plus it contains waaay more product than the usual baked ones too! For the same price!! Robbery, rightt? Haha.

• Raven Ang
        February 5, 2014 / 10:05 pm

Mmmmm. Perhaps you can just order the Chanel quads from Nordstrom now. So you won’t be robbed by the freaking baked shadows.

2. February 4, 2014 / 3:57 pm

pretty!!!! i’m thinking if should pick this one up.. i also have been eyeing the new spring lancome eyeshadow palette that seems to belong to the same lilac/pink/taupe family… i’ll probably go look at both tomorrow! 🙂

rachel x
    blush&brunch

• February 4, 2014 / 5:40 pm

It’s a beautiful non-neutral palette but I would recommend to swatch it in store and try it on your eyes to see if you like it 😉 It would be sucha waste if you cant get much use out of it, right?

Also, would love to hear your thoughts on the Lancome palette youre eyeing. Most Lancome quads Ive come across are too frosty/glittery for my liking 🙁

3. February 4, 2014 / 4:04 pm

OMG, Shari!!! This is SO stunning on you! I’m also hoping from now on Chanel will release one quad all over the world. It’s annoying to see the difference between the US and rest-of-the-world versions, but I know I’m saying it because I’m not getting the better one :p

• February 4, 2014 / 5:38 pm

Awww thanks Sunny!! Im really enjoying this palette!! It’s the first quad I wore for almost a week straight LOL. Never thought I’d enjoy pinky corals on my eyes – thought they were made for the cheeks only! 🙂 Hihi

And yes, i’m with you on praying to the Makeup God of Beauty (Coco? Coco Chanel?) to please destroy and eliminate those baked palettes!! One universal version to rule them all, please.

4. February 4, 2014 / 4:54 pm

SO. GORGEOUS!!!!!! I’m surprised that this palette worked well for you. I was disappointed to see Temptalia’s rate. 🙁 She gave it a B- 🙁 I have no idea how much a Chanel palette costs here, but I’m guessing it’s uber mahal! Haha! Looks like I need to go to Manila just to see this palette for myself. Also, you’re so pretty, teh! 🙂

• February 4, 2014 / 4:56 pm

Btw, where did you get this, te? 🙂 Thankies!

• February 4, 2014 / 5:33 pm

Yup! Glad I didnt check Temptalia’s rating or else I wouldnt have minded this at the counter at al

5. February 4, 2014 / 5:47 pm

Oh my gooood! You look…this looks…oh damn, you look amazing! The shadows look amazing! All of you are amazing! whut

Anyway, (hahaha) how much how much how muuuuuch? I might get it…or not. Lol. Ang ganda talaga (ikaw at yung eye shadow hehe), be! 🙂

• February 12, 2014 / 7:08 pm

V!! Namiss kita gurlaloo. Ive been missing out on commenting recently. 🙁

Thank you thank you! The palette costs P3250 pero when you buy in Duty Free, $60 so around 2580 🙂 If meron pa nung $1=P39 promo, mas mura pa!

• February 13, 2014 / 11:36 am

Wala e. Ganyan ka naman :((( Chos! Hahaha

Ok, a little too expensive, but I’ll definitely think about it. Damn. I just hope that when I do decide to get it, meron pang stocks. Haha

6. February 4, 2014 / 10:40 pm

waaaa, this is absolutely a gorgeous palette. I can imagine myself hitting pan on this palette alone. hehehe. Looking great like always Shari

Random Beauty by Hollie

• February 12, 2014 / 7:06 pm

I imagine hitting pan too but I wouldnt want to!! Hihi. Thanks Holliebabe!

7. February 5, 2014 / 4:49 am

I love this on you, it looks so pretty! I’m always hesitant to wear pinks and corals on my lids because I feel it makes my eyes look swollen. I also love the lipstick you’re wearing here, what is it?

• February 12, 2014 / 7:06 pm

Thanks looove :* I am not at all a pink/coral wearer too so I wore this expecting I wont be taking photos of myself afterwards. Surprise surprise, I actually LOVE it!

The lipstick I’m wearing is actually a mixture – MAC Betty Bright + Mac Shy Girl on top.

8. Sharmaine Sun
    February 5, 2014 / 3:13 pm

Wow! So pigmented with a really nice selection of colors. Looks good on you too =)
    Lol to panties dropping

• February 12, 2014 / 7:04 pm

Hihi. Thanks Sharmaine!!

9. February 6, 2014 / 5:04 am

I giggled all through this article. I LOVE your writing, Shari. I have this one as well and I’m in looooove with it.

• February 12, 2014 / 7:04 pm

Awwwww, thank you Isabelle <3 Means a lot to me, esp coming from someone who writes sooo so well! I am searching through your blog now to see if I've missed your Quadrille post.

10. February 6, 2014 / 10:58 am

Oh I have this palette sitting in my “to-photograph” box for review! It’s been killing me to have it in my possession and not being able to use it because I haven’t photographed it yet, lol!

For some reason, mine looks a little different than yours, though. My coral actually looks a little more coral and less pink, plum is a little more… plummy? lol and beige is a little more beig-y! LOL! I think it’s probably the lighting. 😀

Glad to hear that it’s a good palette. Now, I just need to take photos of it al-friggin-ready so I can play with it!!!!

• February 12, 2014 / 7:02 pm

I cant wait for you to post about it and show me your look, babe!! 🙂 I’m sure it’ll look great on you!

I think the color is just on the lighting – no fancy shmancy photog setup thats why! Hihi. That + my amateur skills of course LOL! 🙂 I wish I could take photos as beautifully as you do!

• February 12, 2014 / 11:03 pm

When I said the lighting, I meant to say “my” lighting haha. I was sitting in a dimly lit room and everything just looks warmer lol.

Your photos are beautiful, Shari! They have a personal touch to it… the realness, the warmth, the uniqueness. 🙂

I’m really not skilled when it comes to taking photos, serious! I only know a few things about my camera! Any my photos don’t come out of the camera looking like what you see on my blog at all! They go through a lot of editing lol.

So, please don’t sell yourself short. Because your photos are superb! Be proud! 🙂

11. February 12, 2014 / 7:04 pm

Thank you, will be sure to check yours out.

12. ddld
    February 17, 2014 / 9:19 pm

I love the palette, I can see how it is “love at first swatch”! I love the colors and the look you created. 🙂