Local Drugstore Finds: Fanny Serrano Single Eyeshadows

February 25, 2014

fs1 fs2

So many eyeshadows, just one pair of eyes

Remember the counter hopping adventure I embarked on after I was emancipated from my no-buy? I swatched some eyeshadows from a local brand, kinda got blown away but told myself I didn’t need any more at this time as I’m about to drown in them shadows already.

Long story short: I kept hearing voices at the back of my head whispering the shade names over and over in my sleep, while drinking coffee, while in the bathroom taking a shower. Never mind that it was my own voice actually reciting the names out loud so I wouldn’t forget them.

Sooo… I didn’t exactly run out to get these, but because I was near the vicinity of a department store where this is sold, I did make a little u-turn to pass by after a meeting. As if I needed more push to purchase… the eyeshadows were ON SALE for Php150/pan (regular price Php195) and you get a free palette if you purchase 4 shadows (4-pan palette is sold separately for Php150, I think).

fs3

What’s so Fanny?

Fanny Serrano is a professional hairstylist/make up artist in the Philippines who has launched his own line of cosmetics that has been around for 11 years now. I’ve always heard about his famous eyelash curler which is supposedly a dupe for Shu Uemura’s and his pressed foundations as dupes for the MAC Studio Fix powders, but haven’t really gone out to try them.

I did purchase the eyelash curler together with these shadows though, so I can now compare and contrast the two curlers. Heads up, they are not dupes. But that’s not to say the FS curler (that retails for only Php150, I think) is to be overlooked. More on that, soon.

For now, let’s turn our focus on these Single Eyeshadows that kept me thinking about them too much even though I have other things to worry about. Oh, the curse of makeup addiction.
fs4I’m a sucker for product names. Brands who are fine with numbers for product names need to re-evaluate their strategy. It may be easier for inventory management but consumers get attached to names. The racier, the more salable. Take it from NARS.

But I digress. Fanny Serrano’s shade names aren’t at all that unique or attention-grabbing but they are good enough to be remembered. Especially Misty Smoke. I wouldn’t even have considered the shade if it weren’t named as such. But because I’m drawn to anything with Misty in the product name, I grabbed it in excitement.

fs5fs6 fs7 fs8

The Lowdown

Shades

Enchanting Lilac is actually not a lilac but more of a shimmery deep dark violet with red undertones. Diamond Champagne is a high shimmer metalllic taupe. Starry Night is a satin dark royal blue that almost feels matte to touch, but contains microshimmer yet almost indiscernible when worn.  Misty Smoke is a satin dove gray. I would compare them with other shades in my stash but since I’m always rushing when I take photos, I’ll save it for another post.

Pigmentation

All four shades are highly pigmented, bold and quite saturated with just one swipe. Enchanting Lilac and Starry Night have the tendency to be quite patchy when swatched, but when applied on the lids aren’t too much of a bugger. Color pay-off is definitely one of its strengths. Do note that the other shades in the line are quite sheer and less pigmented than these four.

Texture and Blending

The shadows are quite dry to touch and not at all creamy nor buttery. The smoothest and almost-creamy one is Misty Smoke followed by Diamond Champagne. Both Enchanting Lilac and Starry Night are almost too hard and dry. However, what it lacks in creaminess it makes up for in the blending and minimal fallout departments (with the exception of Enchanting Lilac). These blend like high-end shadows I’ve tried and are easy to work with.

One of the main downfalls of drugstore shadows for me, besides lack in pigmentation, is crazy fallout. I did not experience that with these shadows at all. With the exception of Enchanting Lilac that produces some fallout as it kicks up a bit of powder when you’re over-eager to dip your brush into it. The rest I’ve had no problems with.

Longevity

I’ve worn this without primer and just a base (MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre) and they lasted well over 6 hours without fading. I did notice creasing with Diamond Champagne by the 6th hour, though. Minimal but still has to be noted. Primer is a must when I wear it next time.
fsswatches2fsswatches

These are all swatched twice on bare, non-primed skin. fs10 fs11 fs12fs9 fs13

OVERALL THOUGHTS

I think I’ve overlooked the drugstore aisle for quality eyeshadows, especially the local brand offerings. I’m eager to try Fanny Serrano’s mattes soon as I’ve had great results with these shimmery and satin ones. Although not as creamy or as buttery as I would have liked, the shadows are well pigmented and easily blendable that working with them is quite a delight. I’ve had no fallout problems, except for Enchanting Lilac, unlike some other drugstore shadows I’ve tried (cue in Tony Moly here).

If you’re not yet drowning in eyeshadows, you can build your own palette a-la-Inglot-Freedom-System with these Fanny Serrano Single Eyeshadows for a fraction of the price. They’re still on sale I believe, so if you’re eager… do drop by an SM or Landmark near you soon!

How about some more reading?

51 comments

Sharlynn February 26, 2014 at 12:19 am

How beautiful and great packaging! I love the brown and the navy most! Your navy smokey look is great, very well done!

Shari February 26, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Thank you Sharlynn!!!:* So sweet of you 🙂

Girlie Blogger February 26, 2014 at 12:37 am

Wow. You must like eye shadow a lot to be hearing their voices in your head. I think the colors are lovely, and it’s nice to know that they are local brands with good quality. Your eyes look gorgeous with them on. Thanks for sharing.
Beauty Fashion Skin Care Blog -Girlie Blog Seattle | Casual Chic Style

Shari February 26, 2014 at 10:43 pm

I love eyeshadow TOO much. Recently learned how to apply on my hooded eyes (before I always look punched in the eye so I ALWAYS skip it) so I’m at that stage now where everything eyeshadow calls out to me :)) Thank you love!

Carina February 26, 2014 at 12:48 am

I love the darker shades of Fanny Serrano’s eyeshadows! Definitely an awesome drugstore find for me, too. I love the colors you chose. Di pa ako marunong pumili ng colors when I got mine haha

Shari February 26, 2014 at 10:42 pm

You have Fannys!?!?! Hehe. Fannys eh noh! What shades do you have?

Cassandrapamela February 26, 2014 at 2:00 am

oh they look lovely!!
enchanting lilac appeals the most to me. I love eye shadows!! ^^
you look gorgeous Shari 🙂

Shari February 26, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Thank you Pammycakes!! :* Youre too sweet!

Juvy @ Plump Cheeks February 26, 2014 at 4:53 am

Your eye looks are stunning!!! Ang galing ng blending. I need to resist buying these because I still have A LOT to use up. But, I love this review! 🙂

Shari February 26, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Resist! Resist! 🙂 Thank you for the sweet words, Juvy!!! 🙂 Still learning!

Sunny @Mostly Sunny February 26, 2014 at 5:14 am

Eeee LOOK AT THESE! I love the look you created! Diamond Champagne and Enchanting Lilac are calling my name rather loudly. You’re lucky to have access to this brand! I’d love to hear about the matte shadows at some point 🙂

Shari February 26, 2014 at 10:41 pm

I will send you some of these if you allow me Sunny! 🙂 Heehee.

Sunny @Mostly Sunny February 26, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Oh nooo don’t make me greedy! LOL

Raven Ang February 26, 2014 at 7:01 am

Bought Enchanting Lilac after reading your countwr hopping post. It was so-so for me. Love the pigmentation but the texture and fallouts kinda just killed it for me. 🙁 I see you’re being much more adventurous with the blus shade! Will definitely pick up Diamond Champagne tho. It kinda looks like Abssynian Catbird…? Yes? No? Okay 🙁 Btw, what shade numbers are your Tony Moly Shadows?

Shari February 26, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Are you proud of me babygirl? Haha! Going for the blues now. Heehee. And yes, Enchanting Lilac is CRRRYYYY because of the fallout but I super love the shade so I’m willing to find ways to work around the fallout.

Diamond Champagne is quite different from Abyssinian Catbird. AbCat is very olive kasi. Diamond Champagne is taupe. I see Diamond Champagne more close to Bohemian Waxwing. 🙂 Will check on my Tony Moly numbers and tell you but they are fallout crazy, ha.

Raven Ang March 2, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I think the biggest trick is to use a sticky shadow base, like MAC’s Paint Pots. Let them really cling to the primer. A trick I learned is to MIX is with your primer! Just use a very liquid-y primer. 🙂

purpz February 26, 2014 at 10:24 am

must grab misty smoke and starry night for that smokey feel 🙂

Shari February 26, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Agree. A blue smokey eye! Not SM-lady looking at all!!:)

Nix Sayo February 26, 2014 at 10:29 am

WOW! They all look good on you. I’m personally not a fan of shimmery, glittery eyeshadows so I can’t wait for you to do a review on their matte eyeshadows. My mom is a fan of Fanny Serrano makeup and now I can tell why.

Also, LOL at “What’s so Fanny?” haha

Shari February 26, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Whats so fanny!!!?? Haha. I swatched their mattes today and some are really good. Very pigmented and creamy! Have to swatch them though kasi some are dry and meh. Most of their nice mattes are neutrals – different shades of brown. Really nice. I recommend them if you dont have a bunch of neutral mattes yet!

Elle February 26, 2014 at 11:20 am

Enchanting lilac is such beautiful color! I cannot stress how I fell in love with it because of this post. Ugh Like it’s really really beautiful! Hahahaha (paulit-ulit?) and I totally agree with “so many eyeshadows, just one pair of eyes” Mine is a pair of hooded eyelid eyes :((( Hahaha Ohwell.

Shari February 26, 2014 at 10:36 pm

I have hooded eyes too Ellebelle! Just have to practice and get the technique right! 😉 After that, I’ve been enjoying eye makeup more than I ever thought I would. And Enchanting Lilac is really beautiful, pero the fallout :'( :'(

Elle February 27, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Yes, with the right technique. Well, practice makes perfect. Hahaha

Victoria February 26, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I got to try their powder and it’s good. But still, doesn’t keep me oil-free for a long period of time. I would love to try their eye shadows though.

Btw, ang fierce mo diyan, be! Loveeeet :p

Shari February 26, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Vey, thanks naman! *blush* Fierce is my middle name. Actually hinde, Marie. Pero pwede na rin! Coffee date naten, psst.

Victoria February 27, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Sharina Marie. Such a girly name; suits you really well. Haha! And yes, of course! End of March daw sabi ni Rae. Usapan namin Glorietta or Greenbelt para malapit sa kanya 🙂

thinacruz February 26, 2014 at 8:01 pm

In fairness! These look impressive!!! 🙂

Shari February 26, 2014 at 10:34 pm

They’re kinda tricky due to some fallout, pero with primer and the works, super okay siya! For P150, benta siya saken lalo! Heehee.

Blu Chiffon February 26, 2014 at 10:05 pm

I’m definitely going to check these out during my next trip to the Philippines! Thanks for the review! 🙂

–Mari
bluchiffon.blogspot.com

Shari February 26, 2014 at 10:34 pm

No problem, Mari!
Make sure to swatch first because not all textures are the same. Some are so-so, some are better than others! 🙂

Shari February 26, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Hi Cindy! These are sadly available locally here in the Philippines. 🙂

Cindy February 27, 2014 at 1:28 am

ahh man! That’s sucks

Marjorie Gavan February 26, 2014 at 11:00 pm

I’m still half-hearted about eyeshadows, mainly because it takes time to put them on and because my lids are small. The only products I’ve tried from Fanny I think is the eyebrow liner. Maybe I should get one of the shadows and based on this review I’d probably buy the diamond champagne

Shari February 28, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I’ve actually never worn eyeshadows prior to last year?? I had the same sentiments pero when I ‘learned’ how to put on my hooded lids, the power of blending and contouring (eye contour yiz!), I became addicted. It’s super transformative and I love how my eyes look with them. 🙂 It takes practice though ( a lot!!) especially with our small lids 🙂

Ina de Guzman February 27, 2014 at 10:07 am

Ahhh! As if I need more eyeshadows in my kit! Wag sana akong mapadpad sa department store hahaha. I picked up a bottle of Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation, I hatechu you’re such an enabler hahaha but waaaaaaaah I love it!! 🙁

Shari February 28, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Haha gurl okay siya pag may kelangan kang non-neutrals or for mej out-there looks (the brights!!). Ganda ng KOH GEN DO noh! Halos araw araw ko siya suotin kahit di naman ako ma-funda! 🙂

Emae February 27, 2014 at 6:20 pm

How come I’ve never tried Fanny’s eyeshadows? *heads to the dept. store* they look so gorjuzz!

Shari February 28, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Emz! Some are better than others, kelangan i-swatch and see!! 🙂

Hollie Damz February 28, 2014 at 12:50 am

I’ve always seen these at the Fanny Serrano counters but never paid much attention to it. I’ve used the two-way cake compact foundations when I just started blogging. It was my HG powder at the time and my current HG is MAC Studio fix…. They are NOT dupes, but the Fanny Serrano two-way cake is definitely an awesome alternative.

Shari February 28, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Thanks for clarifying that the powders arent dupes! 🙂 The eyeshadows are hit-miss. Some are better than others,pero some are def. gems for P150!!:)

Iambrigitte February 28, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I love Fanny Serrano products, most especially their powders and blushes. I remember owning their blush palette years ago, sad to say it’s no longer available…puro singles na lang. I haven’t tried their e/s, but will surely check them out when I get back home! 🙂 thanks for this gorgeous!

Nikki Paderna February 28, 2014 at 9:56 pm

I love Starry Night on you Shari. Now, I want to see if the matte eyeshadows have great pigmentation as well.

Aviva March 5, 2014 at 9:24 pm

The way you photographed these made them look high-end. Great shots, as usual!

Juvy @ Plump Cheeks March 12, 2014 at 4:44 am

Shari!!! I bought these e/s na. I picked up Diamond Champagne & Enchanting Lilac (like yours!) and also Mahogany Wood (matte brown) and Beach Sand (Satin Off White). Waahh! Diamond Champagne & Enchanting Lilac look very pretty on pan, but are very deceiving. Hehe.

Marielle Ong June 12, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Call me crazy, but it would be amazing if Bobbi Brown shadows were to fit into the customized palette of Fanny Serrano. I’d love to get a good hi-lo mix going… :p

Shari June 27, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Youre not crazy! It would be awesome if that is indeed possible!

Fanny Serrano Eyeshadow in Glamour Peach | Food + World + Me June 17, 2014 at 12:17 pm

[…] collection so soon. What finally pushed me over the edge were the positive reviews by Carina and Shari that I read. Good reviews and a sale price? I was a goner. I got the two shades I’ve been […]

Unboxing the September 2014 BDJ Box!** | What Tina Loves October 6, 2014 at 12:03 pm

[…] because of the positive reviews of my favorite bloggers, Carina of Softly Sometimes and Shari of The Misty Mom. I just wish I got a more neutral shade. I always look weird in blue. Haha. I’m also looking […]

Arra J. February 13, 2015 at 2:01 am

super ganda ng colors! I’ll buy next time. I saw one post na ginagamit ung matte brown nila for contouring! yay!

Drugstore Makeup Under 500php | oprahdioquino September 14, 2016 at 11:10 pm

[…] Cosmetics Eyeshadow Singles (review). During one of my drugstore dashes, I chanced upon these singles that were on sale for Php150 […]

Drugstore Makeup Under 500php | oprahdioquino September 15, 2016 at 1:42 pm