Breaking Ban – Drugstore to Luxury Counter Hopping

brban

I haz officially ended my no-buy after almost three months of no make-upI definitely did better than I expected (too much so that I lost interest in all things makeup) until I saw that damn beautiful NARS Duo in Kauai that seemed to awaken the consumerist giant that fell asleep deep within me.

And so, I’m back, betchezzz!!! With that, I decided to “celebrate” with a little counter hopping. No particular brands, except maybe for the Chanel Spring collection that has recently dropped in Rustan’s… which lured me in to the point of no return (literally no returns allowed!! I picked up an item I want to return sooo bad). Anyway, I’ll save all that sadness and remorse for my review… MOVING ON!2 1

The Maybelline Tattoos are Here!

First stop: Landmark Department Store. Look what greeted me upon my arrival, ladies. It has been a long and tormenting wait for these beautiful cream shadows to arrive here in the Philippines. Who would have thought these babies would finally be here after endless rumors that almost reached “H&M is coming to Manila” levels (although it is finally happening after what, 4-5 years since that rumor spread?!).

I got three shades, can you guess what? Lucky guesser gets a tight hug!! 7

I also stopped by Beauty Bar and saw these Smashbox goodies on sale – the Camera Ready BB CreamPhoto Finish Blemish Control PrimerGel Liners, Halo Loose Powder. If you’re not yet running for the Maybelline Tattoos, will you run for this one?5 6

Chanel Notes de Printemps 2014

Out of all the Spring collections I saw online, Chanel was the only brand I fancied. The anti-pastel, pro-coral theme had me sending my post no-buy ass into a snake pit. I want to slap myself for thinking I was reformed and rehabilitated enough to only come in for swatches. AHHHHHHHH.

The lipsticks are all something I would wear but I was attracted to Rouge Allure Luminous in Melodieuse and Rouge Coco Triomphe the most. However, as I tried Melodieuse on… I almost had to wear shades because it was too bright. Almost even brighter than MAC Betty Bright on me. A more wearable and toned-down version was Triomphe which I almost gave in to but it emphasized my oogleh lips too much *phew thank goodness!*

I also tried the creme blush in Intonation and … fell in love. It was a light, glowy coral that I believe I have no dupe of in my stash yet. I didn’t get it, though… and I’m kicking myself for forgoing it in favor of another item I want to return!!! (Suspense, eh? LOL! I will have to keep you guessing till I write about it.) I think I’ll be coming back for it soon, though as I’m having terrible blush nightmares LOL.

Before I wallow deeper in buyer’s remorse, I’ll leave Chanel Spring 2014 Collection at that (WHY IS THERE NO RETURN POLICY HERE IN THE PHILIPPINES!!! Huhuhu). 3 4

The Awesome Drugstore Surprise

My last stop in my counter tour was Watson’s in SM Department Store. I was kinda tired at this point and was already a bit aloof as compared to how I was at the start a.k.a a hungry lion waiting to pounce. I then saw these quads that had colors I was very attracted to as well as packaging that didn’t scream ‘drugstore’ like the others did. I gave them a swatch, expecting very little pay-off as the others I’ve tried, but was stunned when I gathered the swatches above with only one swipe. The brand? Fanny Serrano.

Although the shades individually are Php 150 each and you pay additional for the palette case (around Php 100, I think!) – making the whole palette cost Php 700 (not as cheap as I would want drugstore to be). Although, if you have your own palettes already (Z-Palette, etc.), these Fanny Serrano eyeshadow singles could potentially be worth every bit of their Php150 goodness. I did notice fallout on the darkest shade above though but the others are just a tiny bit powdery but very pigmented and easily blendable (I used my fingers!).

Did I have you running to anywhere,now?

I bought a few drugstore items I will be sharing this week (including a Php150 liquid eyeliner!). In the meantime, do share your favorite drugstore finds, please. I am on the hunt for the coolest yet cheapest makeup finds at the moment.

February 1, 2014 / 5:27 pm

Barely Branded, Bad to the Bronze and Tenacious Teal? Hahaha lucky guesses. and LEGASP the ban has been lifted! I’m still on my ban. 🙁 The ban is mostly instigated by my mom though. hehe. And Rustan’s has a return policy! Just Rustan’s though. 🙁 I called them the other day and as long as you purchased it at Rustan’s and it’s still in good condition, you can return it. I don’t know if it applies to Chanel but it applies to MAC. Can’t wait to see your drugstore purchases! Come on… Give in to the creme blush. 😉

2. February 1, 2014 / 6:07 pm

I’m beginning to like Landmark’s drugstore beauty assortment compared to SM — and they still have wet n wild. Anyway, I’m definitely getting tough as taupe.

3. February 1, 2014 / 7:44 pm

Wow you could do a no buy for three months! All my utter respect for you Shari, I wouldn’t be able to endure. I think Intonation will look nice on you, I love Rouge Cocos because found Allures sometimes too bright. Too bad that your lips don’t like them.

4. February 1, 2014 / 8:01 pm

Hey Shari, thanks for taking me shopping in the Philippines! Everything looks so tempting! I am REALLY liking the look of those eyeshadows! They’re SOOO pigmented!

5. Florencia Alarcón Rivero
    February 1, 2014 / 11:49 pm

I just started my spending ban and it’s been like.. a week maybe? However, I already feel like cheating 🙁 Any advices? Help me be strong!!!

I love your purchases, you smart girl!

6. Pau B.
    February 1, 2014 / 11:51 pm

Didn’t know color tattoos are in! Awesome!!!

7. driving30_with_2gether
    February 1, 2014 / 11:53 pm

I am so impressed that you managed to make it so long! I don’t think I could do it. Everything here is gorgeous. I LOVE the Colour Tattoo products.
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

8. February 2, 2014 / 3:51 am

LOL @ awakening the deep consumerist giant within. I’m actually doing pretty good about not feeling that *NEED TO BUY* urge lately, just a couple items I’ve been eyeing, but for the most part I feel like I already have way more than enough. I will say, the cream blushes look pretty gorgeous!

9. February 2, 2014 / 7:17 am

Yay the new Chanel Spring collection is here! I want to try Melodieuse in person. I hope my eyes can take the brightness because it’s so pretty on your swatch. Also, is Chamade as red as you can see in the pan?

10. February 2, 2014 / 10:13 am

IH8U huhuhu Maybelline Color Tattoos :(((( I’m on a makeup ban, woman! Hahahaha well, I’m guessing you got Tough as Taupe, Bad to the Bronze and maybe Edgy Emerald or the purple one (can’t remember the shade name)? Hehe. And I’ve been meaning to get a few of those Fanny Serrano eye shadows, but I’m thinking of get a few from ArtDeco instead. Hihi

11. February 2, 2014 / 10:15 am

Wow! Good on you for going on a 3 month no buy! And succeeding! I loved the title of this post! I can’t wait to hear what you bought that was awful (that sounds strange). I wish you had return policies there! It is super unfair.

12. February 2, 2014 / 1:32 pm

Wet n’ Wild eyeshadows!! Seriously.. 350 for a trio and 499 for a six-color palette is AMAZING. I couldn’t believe it. Especially considering how pigmented they are with great color pay off.

13. February 2, 2014 / 2:21 pm

Wow congrats on such a long shopping ban. Honestly whenever I try to cut back, I’ll start feeling like it’s been agesssss since I last bought something, but then I realize it’s only been like 3 weeks -___-

14. February 2, 2014 / 5:40 pm

OMG! There’s a sale at Beauty Bar? Must check that out!! Haha!

And ateeee, those swatches of Chanel’s new lippies. 🙁 they were actually on my wishlist last month. Haha! Should I get Melodieuse and Fougueuse? Decisions, decisions. :))

15. sundriven
    February 2, 2014 / 9:54 pm

great post I love it,
    sun-driven.blogspot.com

16. February 3, 2014 / 5:28 am

I got Bad To the Bronze & Inked in Pink. I need to check out Beauty bar real soon! 😀

17. Nix Sayo
    February 3, 2014 / 1:54 pm

What an awesome comeback from your makeup buying ban! Haha! You lasted for three months without buying makeup?! How did you do it? I was getting all shaky from my 1-month makeup buying ban. Haha! I could last longer without smoking, to be honest (or not. Let’s not get carried away here haha)!

18. DandelionWhiskers
    February 4, 2014 / 3:24 pm

Waaaaaaah the color tattoossss!! And basically everything you swatched!!!!

19. Joanna
    February 6, 2014 / 2:09 pm

Finally the tattoos are here! Wondering when the L’oreal Infallible eyeshadows would follow suit? Maybe another offering to the makeup gods?

20. ddld
    February 17, 2014 / 9:28 pm

:O:O:O:O THE COLOR TATTOOS ARE HERE!!! I WISH I HAD KNOWN EARLIER BUT STILL, :O:O:O