Beauty Chit Chat: What Products Are You Willing to Splurge $$$ On?

ask1Hi my loves! I’ve always wanted to put up a series like this here in the blog for the loooongest time now, but got so caught up on sparkly, shiny, beautiful things that I’ve delayed this longer than I imagined. Anyway, here it is now – some kind of beauty chit chat entry that turns the spotlight on the most important part of this blog – the readers a.k.a YOU, darlingz. I’ve gotten to know some of you here through your active participation which I’ve truly enjoyed so I’m pushing it further and doing this little series to get to know you deeper! Who knows, these chitchats might turn into a real coffee date soon (hoping, wishing!).

So for our first beauty chit chat, do share: What beauty products are you willing to splurge your $$$ on? What about those you will never spend on and save on instead?

SPEND ON

I am willing to spend on eyeshadow palettes, foundation, lipstick and blushes. I have tried drugstore equivalents and although some are good, they are just not as long-lasting as the higher-end ones I’ve tried. That’s not to say though that all luxury products I’ve mentioned above are longer lasting than drugstore. I’m just saying in general, the higher-end ones I’ve tried and tested do tend to last longer.

SAVE ON

Eyeliner, eyebrow productsmascara – products I would not spend on as I’ve tried and tested items from both drugstore and luxury ranges and realized there’s only a tiny bit of difference in quality or longevity that I won’t spend extra $$$ on.

Your turn, woman! Share your picks and reasons why (if you don’t mind, of course!).

1. February 20, 2014 / 8:52 pm

That coffee date needs to happen! Sama ka na samin! Hahaha :)) Anyway, I would seriously spend some serious bucks on foundation, eye shadow palettes, lipstick and skin care items. Mas ok pag maganda yung quality instead of just going for an item just because it’s cheap.

• February 20, 2014 / 10:05 pm

Coffee date shall happen. Let’s sched it!
      I agree with your last statement – I’ve learned my lesson! I’ve accumulated so many makeup items before just because I found them relatively cheap and they just sat in my drawer after one or two uses because they either broke me out or worked badly (eyeliner smudges and gave me raccoon eyes!!).

• February 20, 2014 / 10:53 pm

Okay, now that Inthink that this IS actually going to happen, I suddenly feel intimidated. Oh my good lawrd! Hahaha. Just a warning in case, I am actually very shy in person. Well at least for the first 30 minutes. I like to just stare at people because it’s fun and I’m kinda weird like that. Don’t judge me. Hahaha. But after that, I start talking non-stop hahaha. Okay, I am so weird :p Rae and I talked aboutit a bit. She’ll be free by the end of March so let’s sched it then. Okay? Okay. 🙂

And yes, omg! That is what happened to me before. Makeup and I just became friends and I first tried out local products (ever bilena, nichido, etc) and goddamn their foundation broke me out like cray! And being the makeup noob that I was, I thought that soap amd water’s enough to remove all the makeup from your face. But hell no I was seriously wrong! I then found out that my skin is super sensitive but it was too late. And now years after, I still have all these annoying and gross blemishes to remind me of how stupid I was. So I stay away from local brands (except nichido cause I actually like their blushes). Nakakainis lang minsan because some of my friends and co-workers think that I’m just being maarte because I prefer expensive foundation or skin care items. They will never get it 🙁

• February 22, 2014 / 7:23 am

Ok. Pano yan, 2 awkward people together. I was thinking about this when you said we should meet. But then maybe this would help my social anxiety, haha. Anyway, my friends are realizing that I’m not being maarte. One bought a Revlon matte balm in standout, but when I have her try a mac matte lipstick, she bought mac russian red. Given, mac is no way near as expensive as tom ford, but this proves that sometimes there’s really a difference. Not just the name.

2. February 20, 2014 / 8:55 pm

Heeeey Shari, wow, tough questions! I guess it’s easier for me to tell you what I tend NOT to splurge on, including shower gel, gel liner, and bi-phase makeup remover. Although, even then, sometimes I make an exception (when a shower gel is really really nice, for example)!

• February 20, 2014 / 10:06 pm

Oooh, I make an exception for deliciously scented and moisturizing shower gels, too even if I dont really spend $$$ on them. I have tried drugstore bi-phase makeup removers and cleansing oils but always feel like going back to my beloved Shu Uemura which is $$$$ (though I keep on stopping myself). :))

February 20, 2014 / 8:56 pm

I would splurge on blushes, eyeshadows, eyeliner, lipstick and foundation. I mainly use drugstore mascaras. Recently bought Benefit They’re Real! and helloooo smudges. 🙁 I really think the quality is really important when it comes to you bases cuz it’s what’s gonna touch your skin first. You obviously want good quality products. Blushes just cuz I’m a sucker for anything silky and buttery, same goes for eyeshadows. Eyeliner because I do not want anything to make me look like a panda. Lastly, lipsticks just cuz they could affect your lips greatly. My mom always discourages me from buying lipsticks that are below MAC quality cuz she had a friend whose lips got darker because of a “bad quality” lipstick.COFFEE DATE! COFFEE DATE!

• February 20, 2014 / 10:13 pm

I didn’t find Benefit They’re Real super WOW, either. And yes, I definitely agree with spending on foundation because it coats your entire skin (for the whole day!) – so it’s kinda scary to not be sure of the quality that’s in it. Sooo yes to spending on foundation.
      As for blushes, I love soft silky creamy ones as well. Ahh, Burberry takes the cake on this. I’m waiting for some RBR blushes which are reportedly the creme de la creme of blushes so I’ll report back on that 🙂
      And lipstick – YES!!! I’ve seen people whose lips have reacted badly on low-quality lipsticks that contain high lead content and other ingredients. Scary.
      COFFEE DATE SHALL HAPS! Hmmm. We have to talk about it with @biktoryaa:disqus!!

• Raven Ang
        February 21, 2014 / 3:29 pm

Yaaaaay!!! I only have a little over 3 weeks of classes left. 🙂 🙂

4. February 20, 2014 / 11:05 pm

Splurge on lipsticks, blushes and eyebrow products! And makeup remover (bioderma!) <3

I save on mascaras & eyeliners… because hello 3 months. I'm quite on the fence regarding foundations haha I like some drugstore foundations but I fear using local drugstore foundations…. haha arte. I don't like buying high end nail polishes, too! Sayang lang when there's OPI naman 😛

• February 26, 2014 / 1:55 pm

I used to splurge on makeup removers too (Shu Cleansing Oil specifically!) but now I’ve found cheaper alternatives so I’m trying that out. Been breaking out though so I may go back to Shu soon HUHU.

Also, I agree with saving on nail polish! How I wish I didnt go down the track of expensive ones, but alas, I’ve been sucked in. Learned my lesson, though. Haha

5. Steph gods
    February 20, 2014 / 11:33 pm

I splurge on Foundation, Eye shadow palettes and brushes. While I save on Eyeliners, Mascaras 🙂 kinda like you

6. Nix Sayo
    February 21, 2014 / 12:38 pm

I splurge on eyeliners and mascaras because I like making my eyes look fierce. 😉 I have tons of eyeliners (liquid, pencil, felt tip pens) in my makeup kit because they’re my go-to makeup pieces when I want to spice things up a bit but feel lazy at the same time. If you know what I mean. Haha. I save on foundations because I rarely use them anyway. I have combination skin so I’m scared to try different products. 😐

7. February 21, 2014 / 4:48 pm

Coffee date when I’m in Manila!!!! <3 Hihihi
    I definitely splurge on foundation, primers, lipsticks, palettes, and blushes! I think those are the items you need to spend a bit more on, because most of the time, they offer better quality. And yes, I don't really spend big on mascaras. They expire easily kasi. Sayang naman kung gagastos pa ng bongga, haha!

8. February 21, 2014 / 7:48 pm

I splurge on innovation! I love beauty game-changers that can shift your views in life, oh hello Ambient Powders! haha

9. February 22, 2014 / 7:17 am

I’m basing this on what I’ve already spent money on: foundation, concealer, lipstick, and dewificators. 😀 All else, I can splurge on if they’re that good.

10. February 22, 2014 / 10:57 am

Willing to spend on? The ones with a great formula, great pigmentation, longevity, suitable for my senstive and oily skin, and dry lips. Whether it’s a foundation, lipstick, blush, bronzer or eyeshadow.
    I usually save on eyeliners and mascara because there are a lot of drugstore gems out there.

11. February 22, 2014 / 3:09 pm

Splurge on anything I can find on the beauty aisle. I have no control. Seriously. HAHAHA KIDDING. Or not. I truly have a makeup spending problem. This post is making me insecure :<

If I could follow my own rules, I would splurge only on highly raved-about items.. No particular class of products. I want the best of everything and once I've found that out, then the search is on for drugstore alternatives, teehee.

12. February 22, 2014 / 9:31 pm

Same with me. I like to spend a bit more on things like eyeshadow, lipsticks, and defiantly foundation. But as far eye products like mascara and eyeliner I tend to stick to the drug store brands since they are all pretty much the same anyways.

13. February 23, 2014 / 11:08 am

nail polish!! i think i agree with you on your picks for not to splurge on, in terms of eyebrow and mascara stuff. it is so easy to get samples of mascara and they expire so fast… yeah. I don’t know. but i definitely think nail polish is an area i try not to spend too much on 🙂

14. February 24, 2014 / 6:35 am

I spend on lipsticks, eyeliner, foundation… I use liquid eyeliner + have monolids, so it’s a must to have a good quality liquid eyeliner that doesn’t smudge, easy to use, lasts long etc. I save on nail polish and false eyelashes 🙂 It’s interesting because it seems that “cheaper” false eyelashes are actually more durable and sometimes more detailed (i.e., the tip of the lashes taper instead of just blunt cut) than the more expensive pairs! I buy the 20 packs for $5 lol.

15. February 24, 2014 / 9:06 am

We are so in synch, “it’s like ESPN or something”! 😉
    SPLURGE: Foundation, eyeshadow, lipstick, skincare.
    SAVE: MASCARA, brow products. I’ve tried many upscale mascaras and I tend to think the drugstore variety are much better. And for me, Maybelline Eye Studio Master Shape Brow Pencil is my HG brow product and it costs $4.99 USD! It’s beat the pants off every high-end brow pencil/gel/powder I’ve tried. 🙂 I also think nail polishes are a saver item, but I do find myself most in love with OPI’s formula which are mid-range-sh. I did buy my first ever Chanel nail polish and it is 8 kinds of fabulousness, so I might be eating my words soon if I buy any more, lol!

16. Sharmaine Sun
    February 24, 2014 / 4:35 pm

Definitely spend on foundation, lipstick, and facial care products. Save on everything else =)

17. marianabantug
    February 25, 2014 / 9:18 am

Splurge on foundation, concealer, setting powders, and eyeshadow palettes. Save on lip products, eyeliners, and contour powders (rarely use ’em!). I’m on the fence about blushes and mascaras. I think you can find good cheap options for both, but splurging also pays off.

A coffee date with you! That would be so much fun! With other crazy beauty obsessed girls too! 🙂