Monday Musings: On Coffee, A New Blog & Other Things

Can I officially declare MONDAY as my no-beauty day when I could just take a break from all things makeup and share a few things I’ve been into lately? I love makeup and all, but there are certain days I feel the least bit interested about it. Of course, I get over it within a day or so and become a normal beauty-obsessed freak again. To be honest, I’ve cut back on my craziness. If you guys noticed, I haven’t really featured any NEW items I personally bought for a while now. Like I said, my no-buy was a success (maybe a bit too much of one) that I lost a huge chunk of interest in acquiring new makeup. Now, I just wanna use everything up before buying again. Anyway, enough rambles. I’ll just talk about a few boring, non-beauty things in this post as sort of a palate-cleanser from all the makeup, skincare and what-nuts. 1

The Switch to Green

One of the things I want to cut back on this year is coffee. I was so used to drinking it since college that I don’t even feel its effects anymore, but I feel incomplete without it in the morning. I can even drink a cup and it could put me to sleep in a few minutes. I dislike Starbucks actually (those 3-in-1 sachets I like better) so it’s quite ironic it’s the display pic for this blurb. Anyway, that’s not coffee up there – I’ve decided to replace it with green tea instead, much healthier as it cleans your system with its endless list of antioxidants and vitamins. Didn’t like (again) Starbucks’ green tea though. I discovered the Yogi brand (in Healthy Options) which I now drink a cup of every night before sleeping and every morning during breakfast. Any one into green tea here? Any recos? 3

Take A Picture, It’ll Last Longer

I’ve had this Instax Mini for almost two years now and it’s just recently I started taking photos with it. I initally planned to do a series of photos as Selene turns a month older but never got to completing even a quarter of that. Before the digital camera boom, I remember Kodak being sort of a second home to me because I was always there having rolls of film developed. Now, we just go there for ID and passport photos…. *sigh* 4

For the Lip Addict

A new makeup bag, perhaps? This is actually my sister’s and the bag is part of a press sample a lip balm company sent her for her blog. Totally stealing this from her. 2

Mad for Rebates!

I’ve just recently discovered ZAP Tag Philippines – a rebate thing-a-ling that gives cash back on some shops, restaurants and other establishments I frequently visit. 5%-20% rebate instantly when you have this! I’m a sucker for loyalty cards that just seem to make you spend more and more but this one gives back (some of that) money (which I know will also make you spend more, but that’s beside the point LOL!). I can’t explain it fully cos I suck at explanations but you can read (or see an illustration of it) here. Disclaimer: not paid by ZAP at all! Screen shot 2014-01-08 at 2.55.13 PM

My Mommy Diaries: A New Section

And finally, I’ve had this section for a while now up on the menu but haven’t fully introduced it yet so here goes… My MOM BLOG is on a whole different section now! It’s a subdomain, to be exact. I didn’t feel right injecting baby and mommy issues here on this now-mostly beauty blog so I’ll save my rants, gushings and other whatnots on that blog instead. You can visit http://mom.themistymom.com directly if you’re not keen on the beauty stuff and are more interested on my mommy trials and tribulations instead. Hihi.

January 20, 2014 / 12:20 pm

I do agree that sometimes 3-in-1 coffee is better than Starbucks. You can never assure yourself that it will taste the same every time. Cute bag! And I just recently bought an Instax Mini 8. I love it!!

• January 20, 2014 / 10:55 pm

I see how they make starbucks and it’s 90% milk 😐 Ack. I do prefer 3-in-1 more often talaga. Make use of your Mini 8, ha! SAYANG EH!

• Raven Ang
        January 21, 2014 / 6:12 am

Being a hypocrite right now. Haha bought a venti caramel macchiato yesterday. But in my defense, I only bought it so my friends and I could sit at Starbucks. I loove coffee. Can’t live without it. Although I probably shouldn’t be drinking too much of it. People always tell me I won’t grow if I drink coffee too much. Haha!

2. January 20, 2014 / 2:16 pm

Congrats on the new blog and on your shopping ban success.

• January 20, 2014 / 10:55 pm

Thanks Rae!

3. January 20, 2014 / 2:29 pm

Try Coffee Bean’s teas they’re so yummy and healthy and 100% better than Starbucks’ 🙂

• January 20, 2014 / 10:55 pm

Thanks for the reco, Krisella. I prefer sweet teas, what would you recommend from CBTL?

• January 21, 2014 / 2:14 pm

try their African Sunrise it’s sweet and creamy.. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. 🙂

4. January 20, 2014 / 2:44 pm

I got excited when you mentioned green tea. :))) I have two favorites: Dilmah’s Natural Green Tea and Twinings’ Mango & Lychee Green Tea. Try the Twinings one if you get bored with plain green tea. 🙂

PS. That lip bag is cute!! x

• January 20, 2014 / 10:57 pm

Oooh Shaunne! I love that there are so many green tea connoisseurs here! I will definitely try your recos out. Where can I buy Dilmah’s though? Do supermarkets here carry the brand? And Twinings’ Mango & Lychee Green Tea sounds sooo good. Craving right now! Thank you for the suggestions. Cant wait to try them!

• January 21, 2014 / 3:57 pm

I’m not sure if supermarkets have Dilmah but try checking na rin. Oh, check coffee shops too, I think I saw Dilmah teas in Blenz Coffee in SM Megamall although I’m not sure if they have green tea. If I remember correctly, may green teas din ang The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. I remember having a mug of sakura green tea from them a couple of years ago. 😀

5. January 20, 2014 / 3:13 pm

Me too, coffee coffee coffee! Although I can’t really drink that much anymore because ulcer huhuhu. But I remember being so addicted to it since high school to the point of drinking a maximum of 7 cups a day. Kalerkey! Lol. Anyway, congrats on the makeup ban. I’m only on my 3rd week into it and I feel like I’m about to give in 🙁

• January 20, 2014 / 10:59 pm

Join me in switching to green tea, gurlash! TAMA NA COFFEE. Masstain teeth naten kalerky! Hihi. Anyway, 7 cups!?!?! GURL DI KA NAMAN NANGINIG NIYAN!? Magsama kayo ni @fmwl:disqus, 6 cups! Mga caffeine-addicts! HAHA! *no judgment no judgment* 3rd week of the ban and you feel like giving up? Experiment ka na muna sa mga new stuff mo!!

• January 21, 2014 / 2:36 pm

As much as I want to, huhuhu green tea’s just not for me. Ayoko ng lasa 🙁 Di na rin naman ako masyadong nagccoffee ngayon. Bawal na e. Haha! Pero hindi naman masyadow. Lol sanayan lang. Been a coffee drinker kasi since grade school :)) Kasi naman e! I was doing fine. Tapos ang dami kong nakikita na gusto kong bilhin. I blame all the bloggers out there. HAHAHA

• January 23, 2014 / 11:48 pm

Im quite happy I’m not so tempted na. EXCEPT when I saw the new NARS collection (yung Kauai duo OMG!) and the Hourglass Ambient Lighting BLUSHES OMGGGG!!! Kainis. Wala na, BAN OVER! Haha.

• January 22, 2014 / 12:40 am

HAHA! Whatevss :)) Nag hahanap nga ako ng crest strips/whiteners. Why don’t we have any crest-like products here in the Philippines? It bothers me.

I should probably do the makeup ban too..:))

6. January 20, 2014 / 4:59 pm

COFFEE==LIFE.

In the latter part of my college life, I used to drink up to 6 cups a day. I kid you not. I just love the taste. The smell. Everything about it. most coffee shops are overpriced AND the taste isn’t that good. I’d rather brew my own at home. I’m also an avid drinker of tea! I prefer loose leaves though. I use a french press.

• January 21, 2014 / 11:23 pm

Oh wow, I’m not in the french press level of tea-ing yet! 🙂 But I have tried loose leaves and I didnt like it too much 😐 My tongue prefers some flavors! Hehe. And yes to brewing coffee at home! Starbucks is ECH.

• January 22, 2014 / 12:44 am

I hope you don’t think it’s some kind of weird contraption with complicated steps. It’s basically just a pot or glass tumblr-thing with a strainer type of thingamajiggy that you press down….

Haha I deserve an A+ for that explanation. Have you tried flower teas though? They might suit you better in terms of taste They’re also dried and loose. 😀 Naka-try na ko ng sunflower and little rose buds :>

Starbucks is annoying. Or it turned annoying over the past few years. Mas gusto ko Bo’s or Tully’s 🙂

• January 23, 2014 / 11:47 pm

I know what you mean, CJ! But I think those french presses are kinda expensive for a n00b like me, right? Or not naman? I don’t know actually! Hehe.

Thanks for suggesting flower teas, my first time to hear about them! I’m so amazed learning all these kinds of teas on here thanks to you guys. Sunflower and rose bud teas sound so enticing!!!

I havent tried Tully’s!! I like CBTL best among the coffee shops that I’ve tried, though.

7. January 20, 2014 / 6:00 pm

Gosh, am I the only one who doesn’t drink coffee regularly? Haha! I’m more of a Milo girl. Hindi na nakapagmove on. :)) And omg, that Instax 25 is on my wishlist! Kaso parang mas bet ko ung mas malaki =(

• January 21, 2014 / 11:24 pm

It’s good that you dont!!! I’ve been trying to switch to Milo a while back but reverted back to coffee again. The bigger Instax is nice too but kinda bulky to carry around! 🙁

8. Keiti Dontcare
    January 20, 2014 / 8:28 pm

I actually luuuv your non makeup posts 😀 I know what you mean with the coffee addiction. I’ve been drinking it every morning since I was 16? O_o And I usually fall asleep right after the first cup, so maybe I should try that green tea too 😀
    Your baby girl is adorable. Love the new baby section of the blog 🙂

• January 21, 2014 / 11:26 pm

Awww thanks Keiti!!! 🙂 Green tea barely has any caffeine so I dont think it could perk or wake you up at all 🙂 If you do try green tea, share your experiences! Medyo most green teas are bland and taste BLAH but just keep drinking, it takes some getting used to 😉

9. January 20, 2014 / 10:05 pm

Starbucks is not real coffee. There, I said it. I occasionally get one for the “big city vibe,” but truth be told it is so overpriced and oversized it bothers me. I drink Earl Grey on a daily basis, but I haven’t got into green tea yet! I do love Yogi tho! I have their ginger infusion (and something else. I think it’s called Women’s Tea) and I love that thing! Hurrah for the mommy diaries! We have plans to make one at some point. Let’s see if it’ll get me mentally-prepared LOL

• January 21, 2014 / 11:36 pm

AGREE! Overpriced, overrated, highly commercialized and more of a status symbol.
      YOGI teas are soooo good! I’ve tried non green tea ones and they’re delish. I love Earl Grey too, the smell is just heavenly. And I can not wait for your own MOMMY DIARIES, SUNNY! 🙂 🙂

• January 21, 2014 / 11:37 pm

It won’t happen this year LOL We want to first try to get a house and actually MARRIED hahaha

10. January 20, 2014 / 11:06 pm

It happens. A huge chunk of my makeup and skincare products, some of which were brand new and barely opened expired and I ended up chucking away bottles. That certainly killed my desire to consume unnecessarily. I use more reason now. The few things I have purchased have been items that I go through rather quickly. Or I just purchase travel or value sets, which are awesome. However, foundations, blushes and highlighters – my all-time favorite products are on a limited ban. It all can’t be about beauty. Life certainly isn’t!

As for green tea, I started double bagging it about 3 weeks ago. I am not a big fan of tea or coffee but I drink tons of it in the office since I am hostage there anyways, why not drink something healthy? I now try to consume 4-5 cups of green tea while at the office since its free and as I have said before I am a hostage there for most of the day anyway. Did you know that green tea has been known to increase weight loss? Or at least there is some correlation with weight loss.

Looking forward to more non-beauty posts, as well as the reg beauty posts! 🙂

• January 21, 2014 / 11:33 pm

Oh my I’ve missed you on here!! I keep checking your blog still for skincare advice and rereading all your past skincare posts when I was looking for stuff to try. I hope you come back soon or if not, just update whenever you feel like 😉 I’m still lurking…. hihi.

And I feel exactly how you feel re: unnecessary consumption! I’ve been purging some items from my stash to either sell, give away to friends and family, etc. I also like purchasing travel sets that I use up quickly now, too. Then from there, I decide if I wanna keep on using it or try something else. Before, I used to buy big bottles right away and end up not using it (for example, a Clarins toner) which is a total waste.

And yes, I’m currently on a highlighter stage wearing it almost EVERY SINGLE DAY. It makes a whole lot of difference! I cant believe I only got hooked to them now :O

About green tea, I think I’m not at the point of double bagging yet but certainly soon, I will be. I’ve been liking the taste more and more each day. Re: weight loss – I heard about it but didnt really give it much thought. Since drinking it though, I’ve lost a pound or two that now I think I’ve more reason to drink it! 🙂 It’s good you’ve decided to choose green tea over coffee during your hostage hours at the office, certainly a great healthy move worth celebrating… with a blush, maybe? Or a highlighter ? LOL!

11. Gellie Abogado
    January 21, 2014 / 2:02 am

I love coffee and currently I prefer brewing my own at home. Well, not really my own cos I had mine from Benguet but I’d be trying the Altura beans I bought just recently from Davao. 🙂

xoxo,
    Gelleesh.com

• January 21, 2014 / 11:34 pm

So many coffee brewers here! I’m amazed. I’ve never even tried to brew my own before but now, I’m quite tempted to try! 🙂 Thanks for sharing, Gellie. I’m now looking up info on Altura beans from Davao!

12. January 21, 2014 / 4:03 am

That lip bag is super cute!! I love it!!

13. January 21, 2014 / 6:54 am

I like mighty leaf tea! and lupicia tea. Not sure if you guys get either of those over there though? anyways, it is probably a good thing that you don’t want to buy new things! 🙂

• January 21, 2014 / 11:34 pm

Hmmm, I’ll look for those brands here and try them out if I find them. Thanks for the recos, Joyce!

• January 21, 2014 / 11:35 pm

Kape Barako is too strong for me! 🙂 But my husband looves it!

14. January 22, 2014 / 11:40 am

The bag! <3 Congrats Shari for the new mommy portion in your blog! 🙂 I'll stalk you on that too so I am like, prepared? Haha

• January 23, 2014 / 11:50 pm

Aww thanks Genzel!! HAHAHA talagang to be prepared ha!? :)) LOVETT!

15. vero
    January 23, 2014 / 8:54 am

Nice!
    Mind to follow each other?
    Pls let me know..
    missdjoen.blospot.com

16. January 23, 2014 / 7:41 pm

Hi, Shari! 🙂 I’ve tried that Yogi brand of tea and I like it! I highly recommend Good Earth (green tea with lemongrass) as well. It’s decaffeinated & tastes really good!

• January 23, 2014 / 11:49 pm