Makeup Play: Too Colorful For My Life with Avon The Metallics Palette

1B2metallicsB

Blue and Yellow with A Pop of Purple

Because I wanted to experiment~ and not be my usual predictable self, I whipped out my most “colorful” eyeshadows which I’ve found in AVON’s The Metallics Palette*. As I opened the case and looked through the shades, it’s as if my brain immediately filtered out the shades I would never wear — drawing me to the “colorful” gold and brown (5th and 6th) shades instead. Had to re-wire my eyeshadow senses, suck in all my pre-conceived eyeshadow inhibitions and let loose with some real, colorful shades.

Get on my lids, yellow (3), royal blue (4) and icy blue (7). Do note, shades are a bit washed out in the photo. Also, the shade pigmentation isn’t as bold or saturated like that in the pan so there’s no need to be scared to read more in fear of a circus-like pandemonium happening on my face.. I think. Anyway, this is sort of a Misty Mom first so hopefully it’s a minute’s worth of your time, you guys.

mets

The Rest of the Face

I haven’t gotten a chance to swatch all the shades for a full and decent review but I promise, I will sometime soon. I’ve actually already photographed all three AVON palettes I received last November (eek sooo late!), just need to compile my thoughts and play around with them more. For the rest of the look, I whipped out NARS Gaiety for a soft cool-toned pink glow on the cheeks. Still testing the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer because I like it sometimes, other times I find it flake-emphasizing and a bit cakey. Been veering away from liquid foundations and testing out the beauty of mineral powder foundation so I’ve been constantly using Ellana Minerals Intensive Blend Foundation* in Chai Tea Latte (love the name of my shade!) and so far, so great! Full review on this soon, too. Kept the lips downplayed with Avon Ultra Glazewear Lipgloss* in Mauve Movement topped with NARS Turkish Delight lipgloss. For my eyes, I used the NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk as an all-over base to intensify the colors and ensure no crease city during wear time. I also used the Dior Artliner in Amethyst, which I’ve had for the longest time now, as an eyeliner for moaaar colorz~. And so here it is guize, my first attempt to play with ALL TEH LIGHT AND NON-SHARI colorzzzz!!~2B3

GET THE LOOK.. OR NOT?

So the colors aren’t as intense-looking as they did in pan, right? They even appear pastel soft. I’ve never worn YELLOW eyeshadow in my entire life so this is definitely a first. I’ve worn blues before but never wore them out of the house for fear of looking like the friendly SM ladies who seem to luuuuurve blue eyeshadow, they pack it on like there’s no tomorrow to use makeup again.

The pop of purple eyeliner, I’m iffy about. But I actually like it when my eyes are open and you see a tiny hint of that purple glimmering about despite my eye makeup completely disappearing into makeup happyland.

I could have done a better job – I must admit. More blending, more definition – had I not been snapped back to reality when I realized I had an event to attend to that I completely forgot about as I was hesitantly but happily doing this experiment.

Anyway, what do YOU think? Did I inspire~ you to play with colorful makeup, too? Or inspire you to stick to neutrals FOREEEVER?! Hahaha! Honest thoughts are always appreciated.  You know I’ll love you more if you tell me I look as if Effie Trinket’s makeup artist had a day-off and the gopher decided to mess around with her :*

Full Disclosure: I got all the Avon items mentioned for free as part of the Avon Makeup Council.

1. rhania escueta
    January 30, 2014 / 4:25 pm

wow =) so pretty ms shari =)

January 30, 2014 / 5:06 pm

Looks like you’re already practicing your makeup look for when you buy your NARS duo in Kauai. 😉 The Diorliner looks so nice! 🙁 and NARS Gaiety was not what I was expecting it to be. What with is being such a Barbie meets Hello Kitty + Nicki MInaj color on the pan. lol

3. January 30, 2014 / 5:12 pm

Bakit ang ganda sayo? Huhuhu why can’t I seem to ever pull-off bright-colored eye shadows. WHYYY :(( But yun nga, so prettttty!!! <3 And I totally agree with this – "I’ve worn blues before but never wore them out of the house for fear of looking like the friendly SM ladies who seem to luuuuurve blue eyeshadow, they pack it on like there’s no tomorrow to use makeup again." If it's not blue, it's pink. Disturbiiiiing.

4. Marjorie Gavan
    January 30, 2014 / 5:17 pm

I am not fond of eyeshadows, mainly because I am not an expert when it comes to applying them. From time to time though I do try to use ’em, but I stick with only one or two colors (usually black and gold). I am also not fond of blue, because just as you mentioned, it is the favorite color of the salesladies, and I don’t friggin’ know why, and maybe somebody should tell them to stop using those, or at least they should be taught how to apply ’em so it wouldn’t like they’ve applied chalk on their eyelids.

Oh well, I like what you did, except for the blue. I love the peek of purple and the yellow.

5. Nix Sayo
    January 30, 2014 / 5:36 pm

I personally think any color you put on your face would look good.

6. January 30, 2014 / 6:39 pm

Oh, Shari! Natawa naman ako sa blue eyeshadow side comment mo. Haha! Those friendly SM ladies surely love blue and pink e/s.

Hindi nga as pigmented as how they looked sa palette yung mga eyeshadows, but I read that AVON improved a lot already. Maybe in their next collection, they’d perfect it na.

And you’re so good in putting on make up na ha!

7. January 30, 2014 / 7:15 pm

HAHA SHARI ANG CUTE MO. Maganda naman ah! 🙂

8. January 30, 2014 / 8:56 pm

Ate you’re so pretty!!!!! Grabe you totally rocked this look! And I loveeeeee that Dior eyeliner! Bet bet bet haha

9. January 30, 2014 / 9:16 pm

I think you did a great job! Colors do not need to be worn so opaque, I like how soft they look, it’s super wearable and go lovely with your pink lip too!

10. January 31, 2014 / 2:29 am

I am actually wearing a blue eyeshadow now in the office! Care Bears! 😀 I will not limit myself to be forever neutral! By making it subtle makes it more wearable! Clap! Clap! for this look! 😀

11. January 31, 2014 / 12:41 pm

I like the shade you used to contour the outer corners, and I think you did a fine job by making it a wearable look.

12. January 31, 2014 / 4:09 pm

The look is pretty! It inspires me to wear violet eyeshadow. Blue eyeshadow can be flattering if done right, but those salesladies overdo it. And the hot pink blush, ohmygosh. They look like they use half a pan of it a day!

13. Dianne Vanessa Alejo
    February 1, 2014 / 1:50 am

I don’t think I’d be able to pull off this palette. But the overall look on you is pretty! 🙂

xxDianne

14. ddld
    February 17, 2014 / 9:26 pm

likey the color combination!

15. jammeh
    June 11, 2015 / 8:01 pm

it looks so pretty. I love the colors. I stumbled upon your blog while looking for Nars audacious reviews and I’m really drawn to it. You have beautiful pictures, comprehensive reviews and a collection to die for. Will stay tune. 😀

xoxo,