My First Laura Mercier Artist’s Palette – Holiday 2013 Edition

1B 2B

Eyeshadow Palette to Start the Year

My first eyeshadow palette review for 2014, folks. I’m quite late to the Laura Mercier Artist’s Palette party, I know, but I didn’t plan on getting this one at all. I’m just lucky my momma knows me too well to pass up on a beauty like this. So last Christmas, while we were on vacation with her and my dad in Cebu, she came home one night with this in tow! She initially got it as a surprise for me but after she tried it on herself (she’s also quite an eyeshadow buff), I think we’ll be sharing it instead (unless she can’t help getting a separate one). To be honest, the only shade that really called out to me was African Violet. Although I am a lover of neutrals and purples, the rest looked pretty meh that I wasn’t particularly excited to try it on. Take note of that, guys, because at the end of this review, I’d had gained a few pounds from eating every word I said about not liking it, not excited, being meh meh meh about it. 3

Packaging

The palette comes in a slim, padded, pebbled-material compact – very travel-friendly. It’s sturdy enough to avoid any ill effects from clumsy drops here and there, as well. However, the palette doesn’t totally shut close with a magnet so for those who are kinda OC on keeping everything tightly shut, I’m left feeling iffy. Also, the pebbled material is not at all growing on me. My first impression of it was .. um, warts? boils? However, what counts is the beauty inside, right? So let’s get on with that instead.4

Lighter Shades

The palette is arranged in a light to dark gradation. The left side contains some beautiful highlighting shades — Sparkling Dew – pale, creamy pink with a satin finish Guava –  light peach with shimmer African Violet – light mauve with golden shimmer Vanilla Nuts – warm ivory shade with a matte finish (LOLed at the shade name of this one!) Primrose – warm pale pink with gold shimmer Fresco – tan brown with matte finish

My favorites on this side are of course, African Violet, Sparkling Dew and Primrose. 5

Darker Shades

This side is my favorite side. I think I like all the shades here, especially the upper part which are yummy plums and purples. Plum Smoke – light lavender mauve slash purple with a matte finish Kir Royal – deep aubergine (slightly red tone) with a satin finish Violet Ink – blackened eggplant with a matte finish Bamboo – taupe-ish brown with golden shimmer Truffle – deep chocolate brown with a matte finish Espresso Bean – blackened brown with a matte finish

In terms of shade range, I could definitely say that this palette is nicely curated. You have a nice set of neutrals, as well as pinks and purples to choose from when you want to experiment. This is one of those palettes you can use everyday, as well as travel with and be able to create a bevy of looks without them looking all the same.

6B 7B

TEXTURE AND PIGMENTATION

The pigmentation on this palette is good. Not as vibrant or as saturated as the Lorac Pro’s, but not as sheer and hard-to-work-with as the NARS Voulez Vous palette shades. The textures vary in smoothness and blendability, with most shades skewing towards the positive side. The more I use it, the better the shadows seem to perform. Below is a look I created using the purple shades: Plum Smoke, African Violet, Kir Royal and Violet Ink.1 2B

Final Thoughts

My Lorac Pro now has a serious contender. Call it unexpected love, if you will. I’m so glad my mom picked this up for me because I wouldn’t have had second thoughts about it even if I wasn’t on a no-buy. Although it isn’t as pigmented and buttery as the Lorac Pro, I love the shade range of the Laura Mercier Artist’s Palette that I’m willing to put all other palettes aside first so I can experiment freely with this. If you don’t have the Laura Mercier Artist Palette from last year (and a pile of palettes and/or shadows forgotten at the back of your vanity dresser), then this is a palette worth checking out. I can also recommend this to those who don’t have a lot of purples or pinks in their collections yet as it contains beautiful ones. Your thoughts on this Laura Mercier Artist’s Palette? What shade caught your attention?

1. January 15, 2014 / 7:44 am

This was in my to-buy list last year. But since I got my Lorac Pro palette already, I didn’t even bother with this anymore, haha. Well I’m glad you like it. And you look gorgeous, as always! At grabe na ang skillz~ mo a eyeshadow ah. Galing! :))

• January 16, 2014 / 11:22 am

Uyy thanks V! (Btw next week pa yung surprise ko, Im out of town now eh!) And show off your Lorac Pro FOTDs naman!!!

• January 16, 2014 / 11:36 am

Haha, no rush! Take yer time. I’ll be patiently waiting, hahaha. Super thanks ulit for that 🙂 And yes, working on it! Medyo having doubts lang since I’m not really that good with eye shadows huhu 🙁

2. January 15, 2014 / 8:06 am

Gaah, you are so lucky! It was immediately sold out here and I’m still lusting for it. You look amazing with these colours, purple is really flattering on you! ^^

• January 16, 2014 / 11:24 am

Aw gosh thank you, Teri! I heard about this palette flying off the shelves everywhere, even online. I didnt think it was worth the hype till now that I’ve it in my hands. Wish you could get yours hand on one!

3. January 15, 2014 / 8:21 am

Shari! It’s soooo nice!! Medyo (medyo lang) I’m regretting purchasing UD Naked over this haha! I love the eye makeup you made! So pretty!

• January 16, 2014 / 11:29 am

Hmmm, the UD Naked is a good one pero I *think* if I were to choose, I’d choose this na lang para may variety 🙂 Iz okay, you can never go wrong with the Naked 1. Naked 2 though, skippable for me!

4. Bea
    January 15, 2014 / 8:58 am

Ooh, it’s so pretty. Love the look you created with it! I think Bamboo is my favorite of all of them 🙂

• January 16, 2014 / 11:30 am

Thanks Bea! Bamboo is a beauty, but doesn’t show up as much on my lids! 😐

5. Kerry anne lim
    January 15, 2014 / 9:05 am

Hi Shari!

WOW! I love the packaging and the shades!:)
    Is this available at Laura Mercier Glorietta? How much is it?:)

• January 15, 2014 / 10:12 am

It’s around 2,950 and yes it’s available unless already sold out, Kerry 🙂

January 15, 2014 / 10:07 am

I was planning on getting it for myself! But then I received my Vice 2 so and I thought that the Vice had enough pops of color to last me a lifetime. Is this permanent? Cuz if it was, baby I’m comin for ya!

• January 16, 2014 / 11:32 am

WOW, show us some Vice 2 looks Raven! I contemplated on getting that for the beautiful non-neutral shades but hesitated cos you know me, I stick to safe, neutral, boring shades. LOL. I think this one has a good balance though. I think if you have enough neutrals already + you have the Vice 2, this isnt a “must-have” na. If you’re a die hard purple, rosy shades girl though – then gooo lang!

• Raven Ang
        January 16, 2014 / 2:47 pm

Hahaha between my Lorac Pro and Naked palettes I think I’m good on neutral shades. 🙂

7. Toni Elarmo
    January 15, 2014 / 10:15 am

This was part of my Christmas wishlist! It was sold out when I was about to buy it from Sephora though. 🙁 Is this available locally? 🙂

• January 15, 2014 / 9:45 pm

Yes it is! Pero I’m not sure if Laura Mercier still has stocks. Check in Glorietta, Shang or Rockwell Essenses.

8. January 15, 2014 / 10:28 am

GANDAAAAAAA. I love the LM Artist’s Palettes talaga. I wish they were still CF cos I want this so bad, lol. And yeah tawang tawa ako sa Vanilla Nuts. :))

• January 16, 2014 / 11:35 am

LM isn’t CF? 🙁 🙁 Booo. I shall re-acquaint myself with the CF brands through your list.
      HAHAHA, Vanilla Nuts katawa lang eh! Tinamad ata mag-isip eh! Baka naisip nila Vanilla Ice at first pero mas nakakatawa, haha.

• January 16, 2014 / 12:53 pm

They used to be, tapos biglang di na. 🙁 haha

9. January 15, 2014 / 10:44 am

i’ve been wanting this since i first heard about it on youtube!! i don’t get the pebbly packaging either… so i know what you mean, but the colors are sooo perfect. i love how it has so many plummy violet shades, which i think would look especially gorgeous on brown eyes. you look gorgeous with it!!! i’m sad that this has not showed up at Hong Kong counters yet… i actually doubt it’ll ever be 🙁 it’s on the top of my eyeshadow palette wishlist!!!

rachel x
    blush&brunch

• January 16, 2014 / 11:37 am

Plummy violets are my ultimate faaave so I dont know how I resisted this at first. And yes, on your gorge brown eyes, this would be a great complement. Not yet at HK counters? Have you asked your SAs? Make sure to ask them to reserve you one cos this’ll be flying off the shelves! Wish you could get your hands on one, Rachel!

• January 16, 2014 / 11:44 am

i’m not sure if it’ll ever come to HK since it seems so far that we rarely get the same palettes as everywhere else… i’ll definitely ask though. crossing my fingers! xx

10. Nix Sayo
    January 15, 2014 / 10:54 am

Vanilla Nuts! Hahaha shows how immature we can be for finding that funny. =)) On a different note, I love the colors. Perfect for every day use! You can easily transform your day look to night look with just one palette. 🙂

• January 16, 2014 / 11:38 am

HAHAHA we’re all still kids inside :)) And yup, agree with you on the day-to-night possibilities!

11. silverkis
    January 15, 2014 / 11:21 am

Oh you work magic, Shari! Love your EOTD!,

• January 16, 2014 / 11:38 am

Awww thank you Linds :*

12. January 15, 2014 / 11:41 am

Oh lol, I hope you come to like the packaging more! Pebbly it is! The shades are just sooo gorg, all plummy! I would love this one but Im quite happy now…plus I need to save some money to buy other things this year!

• January 16, 2014 / 11:39 am

I dont get bothered with it as I use it more :)) But that was my first impression, lol. We should definitely go on a “NO MORE EYESHADOWS” ban! :)) What other things do you plan to get this year Shar?

13. January 15, 2014 / 3:12 pm

Oooh, this palette is gorj! Although if I had a choice I’d get the Lorac Pro palette instead (more shadows kasi e. haha) Oh, love the look you did! 🙂

• January 16, 2014 / 11:40 am

That’s true, though! I would have gotten the LORAC PRO over this in a heartbeat 🙂 I just lovethe plummy and rosy tones of this one! Thanks Shaunne!

• January 17, 2014 / 3:52 am

Quick update: saw this in Sephora in SG and I swatched this and almost died. The shadows are so buttery and pigmented! It was heaven. :)))))

14. January 15, 2014 / 3:41 pm

Hey Shari, I don’t use my big palettes almost at all, so I skipped this one. However, each time I read about it, I regret not having grabbed it (it sold out really fast here as well)! I like the nice balanced in here. The purple eye you got out of it is exquisite!

• January 16, 2014 / 11:45 am

You have so many beautiful palettes already, Sunny – I’m sure this one isn’t much of a loss 😉 I would love how you’d wear these shades though!

15. Amy
    January 15, 2014 / 6:00 pm

I bought this on a whim without hearing anything about it, and it’s my favourite palette ever. I don’t have the Lorac Pro so can’t compare, but I use this almost every time I wear makeup. It’s gorgeous!

16. Ty Phang
    January 15, 2014 / 7:02 pm

Absolutely love the eye makeup look you came up with! Anything with purple in it really draws my attention. I was thinking of getting the Lorac Pro when my Naked runs out (which may never happen) but I might just get this first!

17. January 15, 2014 / 8:19 pm

I’m drawn to the African Violet shade, too. This looks like a very nice palette! Love the look you created.

18. BubblyMichelle
    January 15, 2014 / 9:56 pm

Oh my, I am just loving how these purple shades look on you… Soooo pretty and girlie <3
    and I too only liked African Violet best, but I already own that.. so I passed on this palette; but your post makes me crave these neutrals SOOO MUCHHHHH!!!!! (cries in despair)

19. January 16, 2014 / 12:26 am

I feel the same about the package, but the inside is just beautiful 🙂 Cute palette all in all, and your make up seems really lovely as well <3

x Satu
    Indie by heart

20. Sharmaine Sun
    January 16, 2014 / 11:39 am

Nice palette! Love the combo that you did <3

21. Nikki
    January 16, 2014 / 3:30 pm

I love the swatches of Guava and Primrose! I had to skip this one though. I barely use my LM Artist Palette, the one released last 2012 because Lorac kept stealing the spotlight! 🙂

22. January 16, 2014 / 4:29 pm

Oh my gosh!! I’ve been looking for this palette! Bat di ko pa kasi binili before. 🙁 I love all the colors especially Primrose! Gosh all these feels. I can’t. Boohoo =(

23. January 17, 2014 / 1:30 am

Hay nako! I am fixated on the 2012 edition! Still, glad you like the surprise gift. And you look really pretty with that look. I wish people around me showered me with makeup, too. Hahaha!

24. January 19, 2014 / 7:36 am

My favourite shade here is Bamboo! Although I have to say that I am forever on the hunt for the perfect taupe!